Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Emme wrote: »
    I don't understand fully how the virus is spread any more than the average person. New information is coming to light every day. Ironically those who sneak on others are probably more likely to catch the virus than those who mind their own business.

You don’t need to understand. You need to accept that medical experts and scientists DO know and have advised that in order to fix this situation ASAP we all need to stay in unless necessary.
    For some reason you’ve decided that despite your admitting that you don’t know anything about it, that people can pick and choose randomly which parts of this advice they will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I wouldn't and talking to them will fall on deaf ears. If they're stupid enough to be doing it, talking to them won't stop them. Friends of mine had a big party for the kids with about 10 of their friends because they were bored. Couldn't see an issue with it, they're out the garden and save because kids can't get it. I told them they shouldn't be doing that and got told to mind my own fuking business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Still makes me laugh every time even now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

We are just about to turn into East Germany, reporting our neighbours to the authorities because of what we think they are doing.

Maybe your neighbours don't leave the house otherwise OP.

Maybe their visitors only leave their house to visit them.

Little chance of spread if that is the case.

I'm all for isolating my own family and abiding by the restrictions but I'm not going to call the Gardai just because I think someone else is not.

Good for you... but you're wrong!

Call the Guards OP!

It's the correct thing to do. We're all supposed to be in this thing together, as a nation. Those who think the rules don't apply to them are a menace to society! They will be responsible for us having a higher death toll.

This isn't some trivial issue... this is life and death at the end of the day. So don't be thinking it's a nuisance call to the Guards - it's really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Dammo

Why not give the neighbours a call instead of the Gardaí? Tell them of your anxieties regarding their actions.

Sure they might tell you to **** off and mind your own business, but at least you’ll have gotten it off your chest. Far better than reporting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Dammo wrote: »
    Why not give the neighbours a call instead of the Gardaí? Tell them of your anxieties regarding their actions.

Sure they might tell you to **** off and mind your own business, but at least you’ll have gotten it off your chest. Far better than reporting them.

And then, when someone else gets tired of it and calls the guards, you get to be blamed for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is there anything to be said for setting up a Ministry for State Security?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just keep in mind it might not just be over for a chat or social reasons per se.
    My mother a pensioner, depends on me to bring over her grocery shopping to her. She lives by herself and normally would be a very sociable person with something on most days and this is very very tough on her.
    She opens the side gate and we sit apart in her garden for a chat at an appropriate distance and I don't go into her house at all, I leave her shopping outside her kitchen door to the garden.
    I'd say just having a chat is almost important to her as is the food.
    I don't see how I am endangering her or anyone else by doing so and would hate to think that a curtain twitcher next door would call the guards on us, lets not loose our humanity amongst all of this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Emme wrote: »
    I don't understand fully how the virus is spread any more than the average person. New information is coming to light every day. Ironically those who sneak on others are probably more likely to catch the virus than those who mind their own business.

Are you this dim all the time or is it because of the lack of sunlight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

endainoz wrote: »
    Some neighbours ye are. I would say to each their own.

Turn it around. Some fecking neighbours they are. Works both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Supercell wrote: »
    Just keep in mind it might not just be over for a chat or social reasons per se.
    My mother a pensioner, depends on me to bring over her grocery shopping to her. She lives by herself and normally would be a very sociable person with something on most days and this is very very tough on her.
    She opens the side gate and we sit apart in her garden for a chat at an appropriate distance and I don't go into her house at all, I leave her shopping outside her kitchen door to the garden.
    I'd say just having a chat is almost important to her as is the food.
    I don't see how I am endangering her or anyone else by doing so and would hate to think that a curtain twitcher next door would call the guards on us, lets not loose our humanity amongst all of this.

Lose our humanity.
    These trousers are loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

JPCN1 wrote: »
    You know this thing will end some day and you'll still have to live there, yeah?

We are all hoping that we and our loved ones live - I think that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lose our humanity.
    These trousers are loose.

Lol thanks for the grammar correction !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Op, buy some coke off your dealer and mix it with some flour or baking soda.

Throw it over the wall then ring the guards and tip them off anonymously that your neighbour is selling coke to kids.

They shouldn’t be having people over.

But you can tell the curtain twitchers such as OP are absolutely loving this

And then, when someone else gets tired of it and calls the guards, you get to be blamed for it!

If the OP calls the Gardaí in the first place they’re going to know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

maxsmum wrote: »
    I've noticed neighbours having people over recently. Last night two sets had people call over with beers, sitting out and enjoying the evening sun. I have a kid out of school and two of us trying to juggle work at home around this. We haven't seen anyone outside the home in nearly a month and it's causing a lot of tension at home, though we know its temporary. I also know someone who couldn't go to a family funeral or say goodbye to a grandparent dying because of the restrictions. So it really makes me annoyed to see other people flouting the restrictions because they aren't affected.
    My husband reckons now that Garda regulations are enforceable (so i understand it) we should be reporting them. I am hesitant - I feel if we are doing our bit, then we should mind our own business. I wouldn't want neighbours thinking it was us either. What do others think?
    Tattletale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Dammo wrote: »
    If the OP calls the Gardaí in the first place they’re going to know anyway.
    How, assuming there's other houses nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

start coughing your guts out in the garden , they wont be calling round anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The cops are busy enough I would say without having to pander to every "neighbour" in the country who is afraid of letting their own community know what they think is right or wrong.

Use your phone and ring them and let them know how you feel about what they are doing. It might not be pleasant but at least you are being civil about it and your neighbour will respect you for being straight with them. You might also get told to phuck off... but then you will know where you stand with them.

The cops will not be making any house calls on a small group of 6 or 8 adults sharing a drink or two, curfew or no curfew. They have things to be doing.

The lockdown rules are there to facilitate the Gards in handling persons who are basically taking the piss. For example if 50 or 100 odd people decide to have a birthday in a house etc etc. They haven't the time or resources to be knocking on doors dealing with every snoots beck and call.

Get real op. You are being asked to do your side of the bargain, do it. What your neighbours get up to is their business.

This virus will not be getting any worse than it is because your neighbours had 4 people around for a drink in their back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I've noticed an increase in the amount of Garda activity on my road. I have seen the Public Order Unit van; another Garda van; Garda patrol car; Garda cyclists and heavens above actual Gardai on foot patrol! The Gardai in the OP's area are probably stepping up their presence too, so it would only be a matter of time before they spot anything untoward, so it may not be necessary to do anything.

Perhaps ask your local Community Garda to let you know how much extra patrols will be around your area - without reporting any names.

blueser wrote: »
    How, assuming there's other houses nearby?

They’ll eventually figure it out once it’s over and people start talking again. They may not be able to prove it but that won’t change the fact that they’ll resent them forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Report them.

If nonsense like this leads to the virus continuing to float about, it'll be because of those who ignore the rules. We'll have plenty of time to thank them when lockdowns are extended because people are too selfish to put aside their interests for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

That’s illegal.

Not if they're going to make use of an exercise bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

You tell them they don't have to run
    We're going to pick up everyone
    Come out and take me by my hand
    Going to bury all our troubles in the sand, oh yeah
    Can't you see the wonder at your feet
    Your life's complete
    Follow me down
    Can't you see me growing, get your guns
    The time has come
    To follow me down
    Follow me across the sea...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

cbreeze wrote: »
    I've noticed an increase in the amount of Garda activity on my road. I have seen the Public Order Unit van; another Garda van; Garda patrol car; Garda cyclists and heavens above actual Gardai on foot patrol! The Gardai in the OP's area are probably stepping up their presence too, so it would only be a matter of time before they spot anything untoward, so it may not be necessary to do anything.

Perhaps ask your local Community Garda to let you know how much extra patrols will be around your area - without reporting any names.

Sounds like the Hit Parade, this thread is like a Doors album

Maybe ask your husband to have a word with the man of the neighbouring house,
    Men are far more civilized and reasonable in situations such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Maybe ask your husband to have a word with the man of the neighbouring house,
    Men are far more civilized and reasonable in situations such as this.

Ha, my hubby is the one who wants to report them, he's fuming! It's me who's wondering if he's right.
    The other thing I said to him is, the Guards surely have better things to be doing, or maybe I am watching too much Guards in the K!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Report them.

If nonsense like this leads to the virus continuing to float about, it'll be because of those who ignore the rules. We'll have plenty of time to thank them when lockdowns are extended because people are too selfish to put aside their interests for the greater good.

Yeah, my thinking is, the authorities surely have some magic number or figure we have to hit stats-wise until this is over. The lads next door and others like them are just delaying us. I don't actually want to have to live with neighbours for the rest of my life thinking we are arseholes though.

• Advertisement

maxsmum wrote: »
    Ha, my hubby is the one who wants to report them, he's fuming! It's me who's wondering if he's right.
    The other thing I said to him is, the Guards surely have better things to be doing, or maybe I am watching too much Guards in the K!

haha i was only joking !
    ah look i do understand i'd be annoyed too, but remember you have to live near these people and someday you might even need a favour.
    Hope you all stay safe anyway !

Advertisement