Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Home Delivery

Options
18910111214»

Comments

The biggest issue I’ve had with them and an older resistive is the lack of bags. She’s just not able to cope with dealing with unloading individual items at the door and it puts her under huge sense of pressure.

Often the guy would arrive and just stand way back as an elderly lady tried to unload the crates, wouldn’t even put them on her doorstep due to COVID rules - they would just leave the crates on the pavement outside and then stand back at the van. So she was loading each item into a her shopping trolley / trundle at the door.

When I found out how much hassle she was having, we switched to SuperValu. It’s a bit more expensive but the items are delivered in lined crates which makes a huge difference to her and the delivery guys are just so much more helpful. I know it’s a few extra pieces of plastic, but they’re disposed of carefully.

It’s a huge difference for her and it’s big boost to her sense of independence - we won’t be using Tesco again.

Also tried comparison myself for home delivery and SuperValu will actually phone and go through any substitutions or out of stock items. Extremely slick service. Tesco just substituted weird items when I tried them and seem to have had way more out of stock items.

It could be difference between individual stores but I’ve found SuperValu just leagues ahead of them on home delivery.

I would also echo that their website doesn’t work properly on Safari. I had to use Firefox to get it it work.
    Buttons go missing, things become unclickable. Again, no such issues on SuperValu.

An elderly relative gets a home delivery from Tesco once a month. The delivery driver always rings the doorbell and she opens the door and stands back. He will then carry the first tray into the kitchen and leave it on the table or worktop and walks out while she empties the tray. She stands away, calls out and he brings next tray in and repeats with the full delivery. Never any problem.

Regarding items not in stock, there have been shortages in store since the first lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

They told her that they can’t enter her house and they just put the tray on the ground at the hall door, which is a city centre house so it’s right on the footpath.

The guy then retreats to the van and won’t help at all and maintains absolute social distance.

They also put her under a sense that she’s got to empty the crates quickly.

She is doing a weekly shop with SuperValu now without issue. If she’s not meeting the minimum order she splits it with a neighbour. They keep load everything into the hall for her and put heavy items on her table and all of that. All with good social distancing maintained and all done with a bit of friendly, non patronising help.

With regard to my own deliveries. I’ve had zero issues with out of stocks in SuperValu and they will always phone if there anything to substitute. Tesco on the other hand just leaves items missing or substitutions can be odd, so I gave up on them.

SuperValu had one bad week with out of stocks and put in a handwritten card apologising, a box of chocolates and gave me a €20 voucher!

I’m clearly lucky with an outstanding local store but it’s chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Really seems hit and miss about whether you get the confirmation email on changing an order...
    I always get the initial email when I first book the slot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Customer service replied and suggested I use chrome to place my order

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

Is there anyway to "reserve" my slot for next week?

So far, I've just been checking out 30 euro worth of stuff a week in advance and going in the day before to actually update what I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Cian59 wrote: »

So far, I've just been checking out 30 euro worth of stuff a week in advance and going in the day before to actually update what I want.

That's what I do to reserve. I check out a selection of "My usuals" when the Delivery slots open 3 weeks in advance and then I amend the Order the day before and check out again then.

It sounds like you already are?
    You initially checkout your order for the date and time next week you want.

You can make changes to the order contents until the day before.

You can have multiple orders lined up weeks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Left Tesco as could not get a delivery slot for love nor money in the pandemic. Started using SuperValu, and they’ve been amazing. It’s more expensive than the German discounters for sure but the lack of hassle and reliable service has made me a loyal customer for the past 16 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It sounds like you already are?
    You initially checkout your order for the date and time next week you want.

You can make changes to the order contents until the day before.

You can have multiple orders lined up weeks in advance.

Yeah, I just thought there could be a way of just booking the slot and adding the stuff later. I dread the day I forget to update the order and 30 euro worth of randomness arrives on my doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have had some of the Tesco drivers off to bring it in and others won't. I think the policy is that they should not enter the house and they should stay back. I have no problem with it but I'm young. Could see how it would be a challenge for older people. For a while, they were putting black plastic bags under all of the items in the crates. You could then just lift the bag out. It was handy but they stopped doing it sooner after it started...I wonder if it was due to waste, the fact they may have been supposed to charge the bag levy or what.

They are pretty tied up due to COVID-19 restrictions. I don't blame them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I just thought there could be a way of just booking the slot and adding the stuff later. I dread the day I forget to update the order and 30 euro worth of randomness arrives on my doorstep.

Hah true... make sure to order non perishable random items in your initial checkout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Is anyone having problems with payment not going through for online Tesco shopping today? Was contacted twice by Tesco, my payment not coming through. Apparently there is plenty of customers having the same problem. AIB and tsb cards being refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

Yeah happened us once a few weeks ago. Went through ok twice since though

It must be recent problem. Contacted the bank and apparently Tesco website is not up to speed on security. That's why payments doesn't go through, merchant is not complying with the level of security for card payments. That's what I was told by AIB helpline. Tesco says it's affecting AIB and tsb customers. At the end payed over the phone and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Happened to me 2 weeks ago too, tsb card, but went through fine on the phone, and last weeks shop had no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

How did you manage to pay over the phone ?

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Tesco would not let me pay over the phone

Girl from Tesco asked me if I want to try that way. So I went for it. At the end she said for some people it didn't work that way either. When driver came, he had another 4 orders in the truck going back to the shop, because payments didn't come through. I've never had such a problem and shopping online with Tesco for some 4 years. Sometimes I wasn't able to pay using android app, but always was able to pay via browser on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Manager took my card number etc, and I knew the payment hadn't been through already as there was nothing gone in the bank app, and his number was one digit off the delivery driver numbers I had saved. He was wary I'd think it was a scam, so maybe it depends on the individual store

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Anyone using home delivery for food is mad? The thoughts of someone picking out the food I am going to consume doesn't appeal to me. You don't know who they are, whether the food is fresh or is it just the first thing grabbed off the self, also the person doing the picking is probably on 0 hours contract and not paid for being sick and could be picking your food and coughing and spluttering all over the food.

Rather strange thing to say... do you imagine the person putting the stuff on the shelves is in a hazmat suit so it is sterile for you shopping in store?

Unless you never eat out or order takeaway it is also strange to think that about someone picking out what you eat.

I have been using Tesco and the freshness and dates of the produce picked has been very good.

Have had a few items damaged or bruised in the delivery crates... but very much the exception rather than the rule.

• Advertisement

I found both Tesco and SuperValu excellent for home delivery. My local SuperValu even rings to run though any out of stock items & make suggestions for alternatives!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Has anyone tried the Dunnes delivery service? It's just that they started offering it here in Louth where I live.

Advertisement