Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Home Delivery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 terminatorX1

The Tesco click & collect service is stopping over Christmas, back on 2nd January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The Tesco click & collect service is stopping over Christmas, back on 2nd January.

Oh didn't realise that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

22 Dunnes store are offering a phone delivery service. You ring a day in advance, order on the phone and pay, and they deliver next day.

https://www.dunnesstores.com/content/always-here-home-delivery#

Just FYI for anyone doing Tesco online orders - Tesco are now taking a Pre-Authorisation on the Card used of the total amount plus 15% on all orders on Checkout. Actual payment is still taken on day of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Here the actual announcement:

Dear Customer,

We are writing to you today to let you know about some additional security measures we’re putting into our payment process as part of the EU Payment Services Directive on Strong Customer Authentication (SCA). This will make online shopping with us even more secure than before.

What are the changes?

Prior to completing your online shop with us, you will see an additional security step called Strong Customer Authorisation (SCA) for all transactions above €30.

Once you place your order, we will ask your bank to pre-authorise (but not charge) an amount that will cover the cost of your shopping allowing for any variances that might occur between your order date and your chosen day of delivery or collection. These variances can include product availability, substitutions, and promotional changes.

On the day of delivery or collection, your bank will then charge you the final amount as per the order you will receive.

What next?.

These new payment changes will come into effect online on 1st January 2021. The change will ensure your online transactions are processed with ease and are more secure.

If you’d like any more information on PSD2 and SCA please click here. Alternatively, if you’d like any further assistance on this, please do reach out to our helpful and friendly customer service team on freephone 1800 248 123.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.
    I didn't get any prior Notification but when I went to checkout my order for tomorrow, it came up that they would be taking a Pre-Authorisation of more than the total. So, I phoned them and they confirmed 15%. I use a Credit Card so it doesn't make a big difference to me but if people are using Debit Cards, then the Pre-Authorisation amount will not be available to people.

Tesco. Every little helps, eh?

What about people who plan their shopping and book their slot for the day they get paid?

For now I have no choice but to use them but I swear when this pandemic is over they will not see another cent from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I didn't get any prior Notification but when I went to checkout my order for tomorrow, it came up that they would be taking a Pre-Authorisation of more than the total. So, I phoned them and they confirmed 15%. I use a Credit Card so it doesn't make a big difference to me but if people are using Debit Cards, then the Pre-Authorisation amount will not be available to people.

Does that mean you cannot shop at tesco online from jan 1st at all if you use a debit card? Many senior citizens and people with disabilities/health conditions who are in high risk catorgories or their carers dont use credit cards due to budgeting on a low income.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

I think you still can. You just need to have 15% more than your order in your account when checking out.

So if you order €100 on monday for delivery on fri. you need €115 in your account on the monday.

Only way you could avoid it would be to only put the minimum in your basket to book the slot, and add the rest on the thur evening, but you would still need the €115 in the account on the Thur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Lucifer wrote: »
    I think you still can. You just need to have 15% more than your order in your account when checking out.

So if you order €100 on monday for delivery on fri. you need €115 in your account on the monday.

Only way you could avoid it would be to only put the minimum in your basket to book the slot, and add the rest on the thur evening, but you would still need the €115 in the account on the Thur.

Thanks...that shines a light on that :)

• Advertisement

Lucifer wrote: »

That's my understanding based on my phonecall with Customer Service.

It's not only Tesco who will have to change the way they do the pre-authorization due to the new regulations.

This is going to be the same for all the other shops, the question is just going to be how much of a margin due they charge to cover any possible higher prices etc.

It's not only Tesco who will have to change the way they do the pre-authorization due to the new regulations.

This is going to be the same for all the other shops, the question is just going to be how much of a margin due they charge to cover any possible higher prices etc.

Why though ?
    If I buy say a pair of trousers in Next online and they are a fixed price of say €10 incl Delivery - why will they need to pre-authorise any more than €10?

Or is it just Grocery online ?

It's any shop/service that will now have to pre-authorize the full amount as they will have to seek authentication with the strong method when you place the order.

But where the final amount might be different (like groceries, taxi apps) they now need to decide how to deal with it. And Tesco did choose to go down the "we block a 15% higher amount" route. Giving that with price match it should never be higher is a different story.

So, your favorite taxi app might now not only take 10 cent but the full amount they think your journey will cost or they risk of losing some protection when it comes to fraud protection.

Remember all of this is down to the EU giving us the consumer better rights (and more hassle to shop online with entering codes from apps or sms or push notifications).

It's any shop/service that will now have to pre-authorize the full amount as they will have to seek authentication with the strong method when you place the order.

But where the final amount might be different (like groceries, taxi apps) they now need to decide how to deal with it. And Tesco did choose to go down the "we block a 15% higher amount" route. Giving that with price match it should never be higher is a different story.

So, your favorite taxi app might now not only take 10 cent but the full amount they think your journey will cost or they risk of losing some protection when it comes to fraud protection.

Remember all of this is down to the EU giving us the consumer better rights (and more hassle to shop online with entering codes from apps or sms or push notifications).

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now.

So I recently moved and in my old place (delivered from Balbriggan) used to let me keep the crates until next deliver to make the handover smoother and also for obvious risk mitigation and speed of delivery.

In my new place I saw a neighbor getting the delivery but she had to pack everything into her own bags at the side of the van because the shop does not allow her to keep the crates even that she is doing weekly shops.

Is this common, was I just lucky with my store.

I think it is outrageous to make people unpack stuff in these conditions. At least like SuperValu they could use liners to make it easier.

So I recently moved and in my old place (delivered from Balbriggan) used to let me keep the crates until next deliver to make the handover smoother and also for obvious risk mitigation and speed of delivery.

In my new place I saw a neighbor getting the delivery but she had to pack everything into her own bags at the side of the van because the shop does not allow her to keep the crates even that she is doing weekly shops.

I think it is outrageous to make people unpack stuff in these conditions. At least like SuperValu they could use liners to make it easier.

I'd say it is a side effect of the pandemic. If you kept and then traded back the crates, Tesco would then need to sanitise the crates. That could cause logistical problems.

We have never kept the crates. Always had to unpack and the driver waits for the crates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

I cancelled my regular delivery at the start of the pandemic to free up the service. I always just lift the crates from the front door into the kitchen, empty them as the driver does whatever they need to do on the wee pad. Takes 5 minutes, dead easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you have car, have bags ready in the boot and put anything you don't need immediately into the boot straight from the delivery.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They shouldn't have been letting you keep the crates, nothing outrageous about asking a customer to unpack their stuff into their house or own bags.

As the crates are used for food products there's procedures and policies about what they're used for and what cleaning products and schedules apply. They lose that control when they leave them with a third party.

Had they known that particular driver was leaving them with you they'd find themselves in a bit of bother.

I just empty the crates onto the kitchen floor and hand back. Then can pack away after letting the driver go.

I personally don't go through the list while he is there, been using it once or twice a week for a year and have not had anything missing, and only once had something with a very short expiry date, which I put down to the pandemic, picker could either give me a short date or leave me go without.

Also I'm sure I could have got on to customer service and got a refund but wasn't bothered over 3 euro or so.

If you are concerned, you can go through it and check it all off, the drivers are never rushing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Agree with above, always worth checking dates on meats/other perishables but in general it's grand.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Looks like my shop over the years did things different for regular customers.

I think I will use SuperValu instead which has liners they hand over, I just feel repacking or putting stuff on the floor is not what I want from a home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why would you put them on the floor? Put them on your table, counter, chair etc.

They don't make you do it that way. That's just what I find convenient for me. You can empty them slower and the driver will wait.Also I did read you can request bags but the default is without as far as I can remember. Can't remember if it was an email or on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I seem to be unable to access the click & collect section on the website. Have they stopped doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I seem to be unable to access the click & collect section on the website. Have they stopped doing it?

Saw some headlines, no click and collect, delivery only, covid restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

hurikane wrote: »
    Saw some headlines, no click and collect, delivery only, covid restrictions

Tried myself there, I can order with click and collect. Presume the restriction doesn’t apply to groceries.

• Advertisement

Showing slots for me too.

Advertisement