Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just out of the gym. All doom and gloom in there again. Feel sorry for the staff who give 110% and love their job. Felt cheeky and asked could I “borrow” and Olympic bar for a few weeks, sadly not. Back to donedeal to see the shítehawks exploiting the situation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

matrim wrote: »
    Hopefully the physio stays open because we’ll all need it after injuring ourselves trying to do 6 weeks worth of work in 2 days :D:D

Felt that twinge in my back I haven’t felt in well over a year tonight, safe to say everyone will be pushing EXTRA hard in the last two sessions Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I bought one of those York adjustable barbell / dumbell sets 2 weeks ago when they mooted the lockdown and it arrived last Tuesday. Glad I did now as I have something to work with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Gonna order a barbell
    And go all out in the gym tomorrow
    Fukkit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Closing Tuesday night? Leo said we are going into lockdown Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Neeson wrote: »
    Closing Tuesday night? Leo said we are going into lockdown Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

midnight wednesday so id read that we have weds also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

bluewolf wrote: »
    midnight wednesday so id read that we have weds also

That’s correct. Leo just clarified it now. Eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Ireland Active sit at the table with sport ireland,FAI, GAA, Irfu and have been lobbying hard up to and including today.

I'd be surprised if they were kept open as all the Karens insist that they are sweaty breathing grounds (despite never been in a gym)

All the Karen's insist....... Do you want to leave your sexist arrogance out of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Time for RPE 11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

calfmuscle wrote: »
    All the Karen's insist....... Do you want to leave your sexist arrogance out of it....

Grow up and direct your anger elsewhere. Or at least try to contribute in some way to the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Happy and sad with the lockdown news this morning.

Glad to have 2 more sessions before doors are closed.

ongarite wrote: »

Glad to have 2 more sessions before doors are closed.

I cancelled my session for this evening......... my heart wouldn't be in it, better to let someone else make something of it :)

Grow up and direct your anger elsewhere. Or at least try to contribute in some way to the discussion.

Ah yes anyone who calls out sexist remarks is an angry woman... Great logic.

Ah yes anyone who calls out sexist remarks is an angry woman... Great logic.

The poster never suggested you were an angry woman.
    If you think calling out sexist remarks is only something that ladies do then it looks like you are in fact quite sexist yourself :)

Augeo wrote: »
    The poster never suggested you were an angry woman.
    If you think calling out sexist remarks is only something that ladies do then it looks like you are in fact quite sexist yourself :)

Man calls a woman angry and you conclude the woman is sexist........ Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Ever wonder why so few women are active in the fitness forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Augeo wrote: »
    I cancelled my session for this evening......... my heart wouldn't be in it, better to let someone else make something of it :)

That was me last night, had a slot booked and as the leaks went on I lost more and more enthusiasm to go so I'll hold on till they open again. Back to using the BBQ gas cylinder as a weight now :)

Man calls a woman angry and you conclude the woman is sexist........ Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Ever wonder why so few women are active in the fitness forums?

You are missing the point, he mentioned you seemed angry. I didn't know who were a woman until you mentioned it. I presume the person commenting on your anger was the same. You calling out a comment that you allege was sexist did not let us all know you are a woman. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Really let down by Leo ,he was the voice of reason and now capitulated to doctor death Holohan who only wants to destroy the economy.

Now gym will be closed to the new year.We have no exit strategy and the Govt will keep gyms closed way into the new year.

We will open up again and therw will be more spikes and an endless cycle of lockdowns and open up which push businesses over the edge.

Such retard in Govt closing gyms down many will never open back up again.

Let's move on from the angry and sexist discussion and not get personal, please report any posts you have an issue with
    Would appreciate if we could avoid the "Karen" **** here as well
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rondog wrote: »
    Really let down by Leo ,he was the voice of reason and now capitulated to doctor death Holohan who only wants to destroy the economy.

Now gym will be closed to the new year.We have no exit strategy and the Govt will keep gyms closed way into the new year.

We will open up again and therw will be more spikes and an endless cycle of lockdowns and open up which push businesses over the edge.

Such retard in Govt closing gyms down many will never open back up again.

To be fair, what do you want the Public Health Emergency team to advise on other than public health?

That is their role. To advise on the protection of public health.

The government take that advise and make decision based on all factors, including the economy.

• Advertisement

To be fair, what do you want the Public Health Emergency team to advise on other than public health?............

I'd expect them to be able to point out to government that the likes of gyms haven't been sources for covid transmission and that exercise is beneficial both mentally and physically so perhaps gyms could remain open as an essential business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

To be fair, what do you want the Public Health Emergency team to advise on other than public health?

That is their role. To advise on the protection of public health.

The government take that advise and make decision based on all factors, including the economy.

Not to get too far off topic, but there is an alarming lack of logic in their plans. Close now so we can have a 'normal' Christmas? Are they setting us up for a splurge of social contact over 4 weeks in December? If they do loosen everything up, i.e. open bars, restuarants and gyms etc again all at once, we're going to see an even bigger spike/problem than we have now and ultimately end up in the same place.. or worse. Then what.

givyjoe wrote: »
    .................If they do loosen everything up, i.e. open bars, restuarants and gyms etc again all at once, we're going to see an even bigger spike/problem than we have now and ultimately end up in the same place.. or worse. Then what.

We will likely open up to level 3 ......... non essential retail will be open ......... maybe gyms also. I doubt we will see pubs open tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Not to get too far off topic, but there is an alarming lack of logic in their plans. Close now so we can have a 'normal' Christmas? Are they setting us up for a splurge of social contact over 4 weeks in December? If they do loosen everything up, i.e. open bars, restuarants and gyms etc again all at once, we're going to see an even bigger spike/problem than we have now and ultimately end up in the same place.. or worse. Then what.

Thats exactly what they are doing. Businesses especially those in hospitality have been saying for weeks they make roughly 1/3 of their annual income over the christmas period. Government also know people wont stay away from family at christmas. So its close now in hope to have low numbers at christmas time and then we will do this dance all over again late Jan into Feb.

Whats frustrating is there has been no focus placed on the importance of exercise, the importance of being healthy. This idea of closing the gyms, closing kids activities or making it impossible to attend is doing nothing but negatively impacting society.

jrosen wrote: »
    Thats exactly what they are doing. Businesses especially those in hospitality have been saying for weeks they make roughly 1/3 of their annual income over the christmas period...........

Yes, but they won't be making that this Christmas as with social distancing etc they can't get enough bums on seats.

No reputable employer will be having a Christmas party in a restaurant/hotel/pub setting this year even if they were permitted to do so, so a huge amount of the revenue is already not going to happen. I'd presume hospitality businesses have realised that months ago.

Level 2 makes most restaurants barely operable financially, level 3 effectively closes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I did some walking lunges this morning and I've already lost my motivation. I really need to be in a gym setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Their approach has always been illogical. Open and close, open and close, hoping that case numbers will somehow magically drop. All while keeping airports open and having an open border between us and Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The gyms should of been left open, they add a huge amount of benefit both mentally and physically. This is a lockdown without intelligence, just ridiculous.
    Pure unadulterated misery for people that use them frequently and rely on them for health and wellbeing.

Having my final gym session tomorrow and then back to the bl**dy resistance bands and youtube videos... b*ll*x

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I agree it seems a bit bonkers that we do a lockdown now (Probably with lower compliance than the last one) basically explicitly in order to allow people to go bananas over Christmas. Then back into lockdown in January probably..

There'll be some fun if the numbers don't go down quickly enough to allow restrictions to be significantly relaxed.

I also think those pointing out that retail and hospitality in December are likely buggered no matter what happens are correct. No matter what happens hard to imagine all the Christmas shopping won't be done online, and there'll be no heaving pubs and Christmas parts in the restaurants.

I don't want to be tempt fate but I also will be really fascinated to see if this promised lag in fatalities and ICU admissions manifests. Case numbers are undoubtedly high, and hospital admissions have risen, but as far as I know as of now the ICU admissions and death rate is really quite low. If it stays like that despite high case numbers then I think a review will be in order.
    All while keeping airports open and having an open border between us and Northern Ireland.

The border ... Yep... We're snookered with it.

If we were a single state, or even if we were able to coordinate and take an all-Ireland approach, then we could potentially make use of a "zero covid island" approach. I'm not saying I support this approach (I don't think isolationism would square with our economic strategies), but even if this was a disease with a much higher mortality rate we just aren't ever going to restrict freedom of movement along the border. It would cause political uproar among Nationalists north and south. And the Unionist community just are not going to sign up easily to anything that smacks of an all-Ireland approach because of the precedent they think it sets.

• Advertisement

There'll be some fun if the numbers don't go down quickly enough to allow restrictions to be significantly relaxed................

We can expect numbers to rise for the next few days up to a week anyway as the r number is over 1 and we've 5 or 6 days of 1000+ cases.

We will likely see 1500 cases some day over the coming days.

I imagine by the end of November we'll be at 100/150 cases per day at best and looking to reopen the country at level 3 ish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement