Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

The government say that they are taking into account effects on health and mental health with the new restrictions. If that is the case, then one of the best things they could do is leave gyms & pools open.

There is little evidence of any outbreaks in Ireland linked to gyms.

I am really sad that tomorrow might be my last swim for potentially months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I wonder if they will keep them open but limit the time and / or numbers. It's already hard enough to get a space in some of the flyefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'd be very surprised if they're not shut.

There's not enough noise coming from the industry to put pressure on the government (in comparison to the likes of pubs, restaurants, schools etc.) and it has a public perception of sweaty people breathing heavily, so there'll be little support from non-gym goers. It'll be easy for the government to rationalize "you can replace your exercise at home".

As an aside, I'm aware of a gym in Blanchardstown (not sure which one, though) that has had a few members test positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I reckon it's closing time alright.

Agree that there is not enough pressure from the industry like the hairdressers and vintners etc.

We can only hope it's just for 4 weeks I guess this time and not 4 months as was the case for flyefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not sure whatever pressure vintners can put on government is the best example since many of them have been closed for seven months and others closed down again.

However, I think there is room for argument regarding gyms at level 4. It states that gyms are closed but it also states that individual training can take place indoors. Surely that - individual training - is how gyms have been operating over the past few months?

But I suspect this will be too blunt an instrument to acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Can anyone recommend alternatives for a cardio homework for my cardio gym workouts.
    I do 10 mins rower. I think I can swap this for some band work maybe?
    10 mins treadmill. I’ll hit the field for this one and run.
    10 mins cross trainer. Haven’t got an alternative.
    10 mins bike. I have my bike on a turbo trainer setup.

It’s really just the cross trainer alternative I’m looking for.
    The weights however are a different story.
    Don’t know how I’ll mimic that at home.
    Body weight stuff maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

tom1ie wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend alternatives for a cardio homework for my cardio gym workouts.

Body weight stuff maybe.

Any cardio will do for cross trainer. Skipping? Just for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Rosita wrote: »

However, I think there is room for argument regarding gyms at level 4. It states that gyms are closed but it also states that individual training can take place indoors. Surely that - individual training - is how gyms have been operating over the past few months?

Pretty sure individual training means a runner training by themselves or a fencer, or boxer etc. i.e. sports training must be individual. Gyms are definitely closed in Level 4 (but whether we get a Lever 4 remix is another question!)

Pretty sure individual training means a runner training by themselves or a fencer, or boxer etc. i.e. sports training must be individual. Gyms are definitely closed in Level 4 (but whether we get a Lever 4 remix is another question!)

No doubt that was the original intention of individual training but there is an argument that gyms have adapted and in essence provide this now. Unfortunately gyms gave no history of organised advocacy so there's no obvious forum for making the argument. However journalists, who presumably are hearing stuff from politicians, keep mentioning that cognisance will be taken of mental and physical health. Now maybe that'll relate only to the distance you can go to exercise or something but maybe there's some small hope for gyms.

• Advertisement

I don't think there is any hope for gyms being exempted, unfortunately. Being cognisant of mental health is the allowance for people on their own being part of another bubble. Keeping gyms open won't be under consideration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've noticed a lot of complacency creeping in at my gym. People not cleaning machines before and after use. Not enough staff monitoring either. I've said it a few times and think they are doing their best, but it's not enough. In the past 2 weeks, I've really been wrestling about whether it's safe to go. Mental health vs physical health! I'd cut down from 3 to 2 visits but decided at the weekend that I'm going to skip a week...though now it looks like the govt will decide for me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of complacency creeping in at my gym. People not cleaning machines before and after use. Not enough staff monitoring either. I've said it a few times and think they are doing their best, but it's not enough. In the past 2 weeks, I've really been wrestling about whether it's safe to go. Mental health vs physical health! I'd cut down from 3 to 2 visits but decided at the weekend that I'm going to skip a week...though now it looks like the govt will decide for me.

I can definitely see complacency in the queue waiting to get into the gym. People are standing closer than they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tom1ie wrote: »

Body weight stuff maybe.

There is huge crossover between those cardio machines. You aren't really anything additional with the crosstrainer.

20mins run and 20mins on the turbo will cover all the same.
    Add in some band rows and you are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Westwood is a free for all anyway, it's pretty much the same as it was pre-Covid. I mean I don't want them to close today but with all the other restrictions it makes no sense to keep them open.
    One last session at lunch today, then it'll be back to jogging and door frame pull ups for probably a couple of months!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭rondog

WHich westwood?
    I can vouch that Clontarf,any time ive be there, have been very covid compliant.

People being consistently cleaning equipment, keeping distance and staff being strict with people having towels,wiping down equipment and keeping instructed numbers in places like the sauna ,jacuzzi etc.

rondog wrote: »
    WHich westwood?
    I can vouch that Clontarf,any time ive be there, have been very covid compliant.

People being consistently cleaning equipment, keeping distance and staff being strict with people having towels,wiping down equipment and keeping instructed numbers in places like the sauna ,jacuzzi etc.

Clontarf. I go nearly every day and there are often well over the numbers in the sauna and steam room, and the jacuzzi, often you get like 3 or 4 teenagers in the plunge pool and just staying there... It seems ok on the actual gym floor most of the time.
    I know they're trying, but it's a place where lots of people come together, so I would have thought it's a risk.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Clontarf. I go nearly every day and there are often well over the numbers in the sauna and steam room, and the jacuzzi, often you get like 3 or 4 teenagers in the plunge pool and just staying there... It seems ok on the actual gym floor most of the time.
    I know they're trying, but it's a place where lots of people come together, so I would have thought it's a risk.

Christ, our steam room and jacuzzi never reopened (a Gym Plus).

pinkypinky wrote: »

In the place I go there is good distancing and an apparently good and regular cleaning regime.

However, I have noticed barbells with weights strewn around the floor recently, and saw one this morning where someone had stacked up a barbell on a rack and fecked off when they finished without taking the plates off.

Obviously that's under the spectrum of poor gym behaviour and has always been a fact of life. But in the current environment not clearing/cleaning up it's really not on. But it's impossible for the gym to police this and it does rely on individual behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Rosita wrote: »
    No doubt that was the original intention of individual training but there is an argument that gyms have adapted and in essence provide this now. Unfortunately gyms gave no history of organised advocacy so there's no obvious forum for making the argument. However journalists, who presumably are hearing stuff from politicians, keep mentioning that cognisance will be taken of mental and physical health. Now maybe that'll relate only to the distance you can go to exercise or something but maybe there's some small hope for gyms.

Ireland Active sit at the table with sport ireland,FAI, GAA, Irfu and have been lobbying hard up to and including today.

I'd be surprised if they were kept open as all the Karens insist that they are sweaty breathing grounds (despite never been in a gym)

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

A grace period will result in mayhem in retail over the coming days.......... and after a 6 week lockdown reopening in December will have folk queueing for hours in December weather............. fooking mental.

And the bag of cans folk shall carry on house partying etc for the duration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

matrim wrote: »
    I can definitely see complacency in the queue waiting to get into the gym. People are standing closer than they used to.

The overall gym experience is somewhat nicer since Covid. You feel far more clean at the end of a workout and that adds to the experience/feel good feeling.

However, covid lingers in the air, cleaning down equipment is just good etiquette/a new token gesture to show you're considerate; it's not gonna stop you getting covid

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rainagain

Petition to keep gyms open, I don't have much hope though...

"We are calling on the Irish Government to deem gyms as an essential service for the mental and physical wellbeing of the population of this country. "

http://chng.it/VyZ24hxqyX

A few days of maxing out in the gym with the grace period.

I went for my first sh*tty weather jog this evening. Went to Westwood at lunch but I forgot my shorts and went onto the floor to do some weights, in my jeans, and then felt like such a twat that I left! It was actually really busy today, it must be because everyone knows it's over for a while.
    Anyway a jog in the sh*tty weather is fine, I wore a raincoat, was kind of nice in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

rainagain wrote: »
    Petition to keep gyms open, I don't have much hope though...

"We are calling on the Irish Government to deem gyms as an essential service for the mental and physical wellbeing of the population of this country. "

http://chng.it/VyZ24hxqyX

Signed, no hope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

So we have 2 days of the gym left before they close.

Fúck it. I'm going 200% of my PB tomorrow.

Then another 200% the day after.

• Advertisement

So we have 2 days of the gym left before they close.

Fúck it. I'm going 200% of my PB tomorrow.

Then another 200% the day after.

Hopefully the physio stays open because we’ll all need it after injuring ourselves trying to do 6 weeks worth of work in 2 days :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement