Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

paw patrol wrote: »
    that's the spirit :rolleyes:, do what they tell us so they might let us do nice things

Or, alternatively, adhere to guidelines and get the cases down to less than 100/day so that restrictions can be lifted, places can reopen and there is less pressure on a healthcare system that just about copes at the best of times, particularly in December, January and February.

That's his point. Everyone giving two fingers to the guidelines changes nothing. Cases increase and things get worse.

No one wants the restrictions but dismissing them is hardly the road out of all this.

you've no idea of their motivation.............

Here's their motivation........... "We would not be in a position to freeze memberships again for a second time.
    Therefore, the show must go on."

There is most definitely a smell of yellow vest brigade off it. The gubernment are wrong so I'll stay open.

rondog wrote: »
    By the Govts own admission many outbreaks were in homes so we should be policing neighbourshoods as ive stated before and depending on peoples help.

It's just as well people in homes don't go to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

shmeee wrote: »
    Ah ya, wearing a mask while doing a high intensity work out..... That will work! Not.

Why should barbers close?
    Why should outdoor dining at a restaurant close?
    Why should churches close?
    Why should clothes shops close?
    Why should car sales show rooms close?

They shouldn't. The approach our government is taking is not even supported by the WHO. Scroll to bottom. https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19

Lockdowns are only justified to buy time to ready the country for fighting the disease, and the Irish government hasn't done that. They've put thousands of people out of work, all while leaving our health care system entirely unprepared for even this coming Winter flu season.

How can you blame people for pushing back when it looks like the plan is literally to just keep opening and closing until a vaccine comes along? This could easily go on for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,161 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Or, alternatively, adhere to guidelines and get the cases down to less than 100/day so that restrictions can be lifted, places can reopen and there is less pressure on a healthcare system that just about copes at the best of times, particularly in December, January and February.

That's his point. Everyone giving two fingers to the guidelines changes nothing. Cases increase and things get worse.

No one wants the restrictions but dismissing them is hardly the road out of all this.

i'd find it easier to be on board with this if the government were doing anything about increase the ability of the health system to cope.

I personally know someone who was overseeing the building of a 400 bed covid unit, a project which got shut down as soon as the numbers started to look good last time around, and the project has not been restarted.

I know of nurses who came back home on the promise of a job as they were needed.... and was not provided a job.

Lockdown is the only weapon the goverment are using, and lockdown on its own with no sublety or understanding, will just put us into a yo-yo pattern where we see the gyms (and evertything else) being shut down again in January or February.

• Advertisement

I have a spine thanks, i don't need the man on the telly to tell me where I can go and who I can see.

:pac:

be good santa might get you a whopper present.

We have a full time mad bastad here it looks like.

You won't be adhering to the restrictions from midnight tonight so I take it?

House party at yours so.

i'd find it easier to be on board with this if the government were doing anything about increase the ability of the health system to cope.

I personally know someone who was overseeing the building of a 400 bed covid unit, a project which got shut down as soon as the numbers started to look good last time around, and the project has not been restarted.

I know of nurses who came back home on the promise of a job as they were needed.... and was not provided a job.

Lockdown is the only weapon the goverment are using, and lockdown on its own with no sublety or understanding, will just put us into a yo-yo pattern where we see the gyms (and evertything else) being shut down again in January or February.

I don't disagree in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

shmeee wrote: »
    Ah ya, wearing a mask while doing a high intensity work out..... That will work! Not.

Why should barbers close?
    Why should outdoor dining at a restaurant close?
    Why should churches close?
    Why should clothes shops close?
    Why should car sales show rooms close?

We could go on and on....

You can say the same about all the above.

I've credits on an account for a GYM which will probably lapse, but I'll just go with it and agree. And hopefully they can get their doors back open in 6 weeks an maybe even sooner if we can get our high R number down.

There is something in the fitness community that stinks of entitlement!

Stinks of entitlement?The fact that you so blindly will just follow INEFFECTIVE government guidelines is sad.Its proven by science gyms boost mental and physical well being and provide a well needed outlet for someone wfh who has been sitting on his hole all day and possible dealing with kids in teh evening.
    It has huge benefits for health which is extremely important if people want strong immune systems to fight of a potential infection.

I followed restriction to a tee since march and look where we are -right back at swuare one with 200k potentially going to lose their jobs by midnight tonight all because of our ineffective govt and USELESS NEphet who have no other solution than to shut down an entire country.

We can have fastfood takeaways open but not gyms which is ridiculous.

People are pushing for gyms to open for the many benefits on health (and im sure business reasons) but considering this viruses effect on health we should be doing everything we can to increase our health not locking people up ,taking their jobs and destroying their lives in manhy situations.

I dont work in a gym BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm self employed, not in a WFH job and not state funded.

The insta post said they aren't in a position to freeze memberships again and so are staying open, as I dsaid that fncks over all their members.
    Will you be able to earn money tomorow?
    If we do a real lock down than the off licences should be closed along with the gaa, horseracing and that disgusting greyhound racing along with construction sites and meat plants then maybe it would seem fair!
    Cherry picking to suit the good old boys leaves a bitter taste in the mouth!

Stinks of entitlement?The fact that you so blindly will just follow INEFFECTIVE government guidelines is sad.

You've already said the issue isn't that the guidelines are ineffective but that there isn't a member of the Gardaí and/or the defence forces in every neighbourhood to enforce the guidelines.

So would you 'blindly follow' the guidelines if they had the Gardaí, the defence forces, the civil defence, the scouts and rangers and the ICA out enforcing them?

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Will you be able to earn money tomorow?

Oh because I'm self employed, not in a WFH job and not state funded you must keep questioning is it as I didn't fit into your earlier spiel?

I'll be earning a handsome sum tomorrow but it won't be for charging folk to use a service that is meant to be closed.

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    If we do a real lock down than the off licences should be closed along with the gaa, horseracing and that disgusting greyhound racing along with construction sites and meat plants then maybe it would seem fair!
    Cherry picking to suit the good old boys leaves a bitter taste in the mouth!

Construction and meat plants are essential, we need houses and we need food. Do you think all activity should stop? Farming? Everything?
    I agree greyhound racing should be closed regardless of Covid.

You were trying to cherry pick earlier when spieling on about WFH and state funded jobs iirc.

You've already said the issue isn't that the guidelines are ineffective but that there isn't a member of the Gardaí and/or the defence forces in every neighbourhood to enforce the guidelines.

So would you 'blindly follow' the guidelines if they had the Gardaí, the defence forces, the civil defence, the scouts and rangers and the ICA out enforcing them?

I think youre being silly now.its PROVEN the majority of outbreaks are happening in private homes NOT Gyms.
    Not once did i mention ICA,Scouts so youre just putting words in my mouth to suit your argument.

I also stated its ridiculous to shut down an entire country when there are specific instances where outbreaks are occuring.

It seems the government agree with me anyway,harsh fines and penalties for HOUSE parties where the virus is spreading and my point is confirmed,if we imposed these harsh fines/penalties back in level 3 i dont think we would be in the situation we are in now.

....... fines and penalties for HOUSE parties where the virus is spreading and my point is confirmed,if we imposed these harsh fines/penalties back in level 3 i dont think we would be in the situation we are in now.

Most definitely.
    And the folk going to these house parties have been wandering around shops and gyms which does put us all at risk and is part of the high community transmission that has us now at level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I see what you are saying , but my view toward covid - in short it's not the plague - I don't see why I should waste my life living to rules I don't believe in, created by people I don't have faith in. there is a longer more detailed debate to be had but that's for another forum (Coronavirus (COVID-19)) so we can battle there if you wish

We have a full time mad bastad here it looks like.

You won't be adhering to the restrictions from midnight tonight so I take it?

House party at yours so.

your words...not mine
    I havent since June tbh so no.

I think youre being silly now.its PROVEN the majority of outbreaks are happening in private homes NOT Gyms.
    Not once did i mention ICA,Scouts so youre just putting words in my mouth to suit your argument.

I also stated its ridiculous to shut down an entire country when there are specific instances where outbreaks are occuring.

It seems the government agree with me anyway,harsh fines and penalties for HOUSE parties where the virus is spreading and my point is confirmed,if we imposed these harsh fines/penalties back in level 3 i dont think we would be in the situation we are in now.

So outbreaks happen in private homes not gyms. Do people from private homes not use gyms?

You didn't answer the question but it seems you are saying the guidelines are effective. Ok, that's clear now. It's just that you said they were ineffective so I wasn't sure whether you thought the problem was the guidelines or people not following them.

You said the civil defence and, from an enforcement point of view, you might as well include the ICA and scouts if you're proposing the civil defence. I think the word 'defence' probably confused you.

I see what you are saying , but my view toward covid - in short it's not the plague - I don't see why I should waste my life living to rules I don't believe in, created by people I don't have faith in. there is a longer more detailed debate to be had but that's for another forum (Coronavirus (COVID-19)) so we can battle there if you wish

I certainly think you're right on the bit in bold.

I'll be earning a handsome sum tomorrow but it won't be for charging folk to use a service that is meant to be closed.

Think you're being very cynical here. You make it sound as if they're forcing people to pay membership. Given they're not a large franchise-style gym, members can more than likely just cancel their membership if they want.

Maybe there are a decent cohort of members who would rather pay for another month than have their gym go out of business? It happened in my gym last lockdown.

I havent since June tbh so no.

You haven't been adhering to the restrictions since June?

Cill94 wrote: »
    Think you're being very cynical here. You make it sound as if they're forcing people to pay membership.....................

Well they said they won't be freezing membership.
    Lots of folk don't pay by the month.

Well they said they won't be freezing membership.
    Lots of folk don't pay by the month.

Most of the memberships I can see on their site say 'no contract', meaning you are free to cancel (bar one option where you pay a year upfront).

I can't say I know what their refund policies are like, but most gyms that size tend to be decent about refunding when someone wants out.

• Advertisement

Most of the memberships I can see on their site say 'no contract', meaning you are free to cancel (bar one option where you pay a year upfront).

I can't say I know what their refund policies are like, but most gyms that size tend to be decent about refunding when someone wants out.

Well if freezing isn't an option then hopefully most members will keep paying to facilitate refunds for folk not wanting to frequent somewhere that should be closed at level 5 who maybe need the few €s as they are out of work etc etc.

Because if freezing isn't an option I don't see how refunding more then a few people is. Most gyms that size tend to be decent with freezing memberships also, FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

you've no idea of their motivation but labelled them with a political movement. that's baseless.

I have a spine thanks, i don't need the man on the telly to tell me where I can go and who I can see.

:pac:

be good santa might get you a whopper present.

And this right here is the reason we are in this mess kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Clearance in Liverpool to reopen.

Massive petition signed across Irish people the last few days.

I can see the argument to close the bigger gyms but the smaller ones with Max 3-4 people training in a safe environment should be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I see there's quite a busy petition going around for rethinking gyms being closed, seems to be getting quite a large signature count. I added mine there in some hope that things may improve but who knows.
    I still say they're fine and have benefit... But I'm not making the decisions.

Well if freezing isn't an option then hopefully most members will keep paying to facilitate refunds for folk not wanting to frequent somewhere that should be closed at level 5 who maybe need the few €s as they are out of work etc etc.

Because if freezing isn't an option I don't see how refunding more then a few people is. Most gyms that size tend to be decent with freezing memberships also, FYI.

You make it sound as if choosing to become unemployed is just a no-brainer. Easy to cast judgement until you're in that position.

theballz wrote: »
    Clearance in Liverpool to reopen.

Massive petition signed across Irish people the last few days.

I can see the argument to close the bigger gyms but the smaller ones with Max 3-4 people training in a safe environment should be opened.

I think it's a different scenario because the restrictions in the UK are agreed with local government. The gyms in Lancashire and other neighbouring areas stayed open hence the uproar to get gyms in Liverpool reopened.

It may well be that the precedent has already been set but if the gyms in the neighbouring regions hadn't stayed open, I'm not sure the gyms in Liverpool would be reopening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I see there's quite a busy petition going around for rethinking gyms being closed, seems to be getting quite a large signature count. I added mine there in some hope that things may improve but who knows.
    I still say they're fine and have benefit... But I'm not making the decisions.

Yeah agreed I added my signature aswell and in my opinion there’s plenty of benefits to keeping them open, but it’s the “I won’t do what the man on tv” types that will ruin it for gyms and people that just want to use the gyms responsibly.

You make it sound as if choosing to become unemployed is just a no-brainer. Easy to cast judgement until you're in that position.

Not at all, I'm self employed........... I'm conceptually a few days work away from being out of work all of the time.

We have a gym in blanch having a publicity stunt for whatever reason and they've mentioned that freezing memberships aren't an option so they are staying open.
    It's a breach of level 5 and it's bad form IMO ............ afaik all other gyms and businesses are closing as they've been instructed to do.

So outbreaks happen in private homes not gyms. Do people from private homes not use gyms?

You didn't answer the question but it seems you are saying the guidelines are effective. Ok, that's clear now. It's just that you said they were ineffective so I wasn't sure whether you thought the problem was the guidelines or people not following them.

You said the civil defence and, from an enforcement point of view, you might as well include the ICA and scouts if you're proposing the civil defence. I think the word 'defence' probably confused you.

The virus is spread through close contact and the majority of cases in enclosed areas with poor ventilation hence why pubs ,cafes etc have been able to open with outdoor seating,same as sports even for kids-able to continue in outdoor settings.And no ,out breaks dont happen in gyms,any gym ive seen have had excellent covid compliance-with 3/4 metre distances let alone 2 metres,all equipment wiped down after use and sanitiser,all of this ensures no transmission in gyms...its back up by the government and science.ANd yes,if you check the HSEs breakdown you will see infections have been predominantly in houses hence the guidelines now not to visit homes.

I never said guidelines were ineffective i said they werent being enforced which they clearly werent.I am saying such guidelines which have been PROVEN scientifically to be ineffective shouldnt be followed and should be questioned.

As for civil defence -their own definition is to be a rescue and emergency body and considring we are in the biggest emergency of our lifetimes i think they fit the bill.Again, i never mentioned scouts so thats just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Not at all, I'm self employed........... I'm conceptually a few days work away from being out of work all of the time.

We have a gym in blanch having a publicity stunt for whatever reason and they've mentioned that freezing memberships aren't an option so they are staying open.
    It's a breach of level 5 and it's bad form IMO ............ afaik all other gyms and businesses are closing as they've been instructed to do.

All the gyms in the UK were instructed to close but the people decided not to be sheep and blindly follow an ineffective guideline.They backed up their argument with scientific evidence and the Govt agreed.Now the UKs gym are opening even under the strictest level.

Fair play to that guy keeping his gym open ,hopefully it will raise awareness that we have an incompetent govt and a disaster in hephet that the only thing they can do to combat this virus is instil panic with their daily numbers and scream for lockdown after lockdown thus destroying the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement