Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I believe this man's a cockroach, I'm still expecting him to be in power next year

Ha, good description. I think I'm expecting it as well, but hoping for a completely different outcome. The worse he handles this, the more he lies and shows his utter ineptitude and callousness, the more people who die or sink into poverty because of it... well I hope it angers a lot of people other there. As the election season cranks up, the Democrats will come with receipts to clearly illustrate how he lied and caused such massive harm. The insane tweets, press conferences, actions he took or didn't take, it's all recorded and will come back to haunt him. At least that's my hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Stateofyou wrote:
    Ha, good description. I think I'm expecting it as well, but hoping for a completely different outcome. The worse he handles this, the more he lies and shows his utter ineptitude and callousness, the more people who die or sink into poverty because of it... well I hope it angers a lot of people other there. As the election season cranks up, the Democrats will come with receipts to clearly illustrate how he lied and caused such massive harm. The insane tweets, press conferences, actions he took or didn't take, it's all recorded and will come back to haunt him. At least that's my hope.

The American political system isn't exactly democratic or logical, expect the unexpected come November, this could all get even weirder come November

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I think the criticism is a bit over done. I watched the press briefing yesterday, and when you make allowance for all the vanity, ego and past errors, I get the impression that he and the administration really do understand how difficult it is going to be to control the outbreak in the US and the impact it is going to have on the people and the economy. They are trying to communicate that the public, while at the same time, trying to be as positive and optimistic as possible to give hope.

The presidency has really gone from dream to nightmare for him and the administration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Yep it's total narcissism and self importance on display there. He had to big himself up to make him feel more important than anyone else, as if he's exceptional and the rules or standards apply to everyone else except him. He believes he is far above anyone else, knows more than anyone, is untouchable. He's clearly not a healthy, well adjusted or intelligent individual. Let's hope the pendulum swings hard the other way this November.

Basically Barrack Hussain Obama 2.0

You'll have to explain that one. And why are you using his full name, or even bringing him into the discussion at all?

Name of thread title: Trump/American response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

threeball wrote: »
    The reality is he doesnt want to be photographed in a mask. It would hurt his tough guy image and put paid to his claims that this will be over soon. He wants sports back up and running, he'll be lucky if the NFL gets up and running in September, thats the reality..

A lot of people want sports back up and running, it's big business. Whatever about Trump, I 100% guarantee that the NFL will start on time, without spectators if need be. If it isnt then we really are ****ed because things will be dire in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    A lot of people want sports back up and running, it's big business. Whatever about Trump, I 100% guarantee that the NFL will start on time, without spectators if need be. That's what I hear. If it isnt then we really are ****ed because things will be dire in that case.

You seem to think that the second wave isn't a possibilty then? Once we get this out of the way we're done? 400lb line backers that already sleep on ventilators won't fancy catching this for the sake of playing a game. They'll drop like flies.

You seem to think that the second wave isn't a possibilty then? Once we get this out of the way we're done. 400lb line backers that already sleep on ventilators won't fancy catching this for the sake of playing a game. They'll drop like flies.

No I do think a second wave is a possibility/likely probability. I'm talking about the NFL and their current strategy. they will test every week, keep the players and teams isolated and no spectators if need be. Wont be football as we know it but it will happen if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    No I do think a second wave is a possibility/likely probability. I'm talking about the NFL and their current strategy. they will test every week, keep the players and teams isolated and no spectators if need be. Wont be football as we know it but it will happen if at all possible.

That will work in off season. They're mental if they think it'll work in the regular season. Theres probably 150 people between players and entourage per team, maybe 200. Thinking you can isolate those people plus their connections is fantasyland. Then you have players from opposing teams in physical contact, breathing heavily when their own government have just recommended wearing masks even going for a walk. If this thing is around in September, there'll be no games. They can bluff and bluster all they want now.

That will work in off season. They're mental if they think it'll work in the regular season. Theres probably 150 people between players and entourage per team, maybe 200. Thinking you can isolate those people plus their connections is fantasyland. Then you have players from opposing teams in physical contact, breathing heavily when their own government have just recommended wearing masks even going for a walk. If this thing is around in September, there'll be no games. They can bluff and bluster all they want now.

If this thing is around in September, and there is (are?) still this level of restrictions, then the world is ****ed either way. They are banking on that not being the case. They have the resources to mass test and they will do that if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Downlinz wrote: »
    They're showing themselves as the most mismanaged country on the planet. When all is said and done they may have more cases and deaths than every other country combined.

The American people have paid a terrible price for electing Trump.

A lot of Americans are fairly thick anyway. Did you see videos of the Fox news reporters downplaying the coronavirus about a month ago. When Trump realised if was serious they all changed their tune , it's hilarious .

A lot of Americans are fairly thick anyway. Did you see videos of the Fox news reporters downplaying the coronavirus about a month ago. When Trump realised if was serious they all changed their tune , it's hilarious .

Most americans arent thick. Fox news is not america. Trump has always known its serious, how could he not? Hes just a dick

As a non American living in america, I think most states are doing a good job, regardless of Trump, better than a lot of european countries tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Glass houses, we had the chief medical officer saying nursing homes don't need to restrict visitors to protect the most vulnerable people and then a few days later everything was closed down including schools a group that's not vulnerable to the virus at all.

Anyway about the USA don't just listen to Trump, Pence has recently been making statements that are a lot more factual and serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

coastwatch wrote: »
    I think the criticism is a bit over done. I watched the press briefing yesterday, and when you make allowance for all the vanity, ego and past errors, I get the impression that he and the administration really do understand how difficult it is going to be to control the outbreak in the US and the impact it is going to have on the people and the economy. They are trying to communicate that the public, while at the same time, trying to be as positive and optimistic as possible to give hope.

The presidency has really gone from dream to nightmare for him and the administration.

I'm going to have to disagree with you right there.

The key problem with Trump is that the only consistent thing about him is just how inconsistent he is. The other night he was getting praised for his more somber tone and how apparently he has more accepting of the reality.
    The next night he was berating the "fake news media" and once again talking absolute nonsense.

Previously he claimed he'd accept no responsibility for the handling the early stages of the pandemic, and now he's standing there saying he knew it was serious and how important it was to handle it.

He is now, and always has been, a liar.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sonics2k wrote: »

He is now, and always has been, a liar.

100% pure and simple.

He ran on a campaign of "protect our country" and he has done anything but that in regard to this crisis.

He's in way over his head and his ego can't handle it.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    100% pure and simple.

He ran on a campaign of "protect our country" and he had done anything but that in regard to this crisis.

He's in way over his head and his ego can't handle it.

Yeah but as a whole, for america, that doesn't mean ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Anyway about the USA don't just listen to Trump, Pence has recently been making statements that are a lot more factual and serious.

Ha Pence can talk for 5 minutes and not answer a question. As congratulated by Trump himself.

You'll have to explain that one. And why are you using his full name, or even bringing him into the discussion at all?

Name of thread title: Trump/American response

Why is their a need for a thread about American trump response
    Is there one for Italy and Spain and China?

I don’t understand the obsession people have with trump?
    It’s really weird and creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just like him then.

There's a thread for the UK response too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Quoted without comment.

• Advertisement

Why don't you answer my questions first, before asking more of your own. Why did you write out Barack's entire name? How is Trump 'Barack 2.0?'

You wonder at this thread, finding it 'weird and creepy,' yet you've opened it and joined the discussion. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Listen to what Michael Moore has to say

"the president is killing us"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Beaches in Georgia reopen after Governor's (R, shocker) executive order.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/491157-georgia-beaches-reopen-after-governors-executive-order

Seems people are staying away though.

Why don't you answer my questions first, before asking more of your own. Why did you write out Barack's entire name? How is Trump 'Barack 2.0?'

You wonder at this thread, finding it 'weird and creepy,' yet you've opened it and joined the discussion. :pac:

There are plenty of anti Donald trump threads. Can we not just have the one?

Barack Obama is without doubt one of America’s worst presidents
    Who is the biggest disappointment trump or Obama
    Answer is Obama he promised so much yet delivered very little, constantly played the race card to get what he wanted.
    Trump you will find will be the same - promised to stop illegal immigration and reduce the big state yet when he is gone he will have not delivered either

I am no fan of trump but have a lot of family in America in New York and San fran
    I find it creepy that this thread is using American deaths due to a virus to attack trump
    Again very sick and creepy

I find it creepy that this thread is using American deaths due to a virus to attack trump

Surely his action/inaction surronding this virus is open to critism/praise (like johnson and varadkar face same scruitiny)

Hiding behind deaths (caused by inaction) and saying he cant be critised for it....is everybit as bad as people solely using deaths to attack him??

Screams of wanting to shut down debate around it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There are plenty of anti Donald trump threads. Can we not just have the one?

Answer is Obama he promised so much yet delivered very little, constantly played the race card to get what he wanted.
    Trump you will find will be the same - promised to stop illegal immigration and reduce the big state yet when he is gone he will have not delivered either

I am no fan of trump but have a lot of family in America in New York and San fran

Technically correct, on a certain scale Obama was disappointing. You see, we all hoped for truly great things to come out of Obama and he did an awful lot of good, but also an awful lot of bad.

I'm not disappointed by Trump and most of us aren't because we all expected him to be a god awful ego maniac who'd only really be concerned about his own goals, while ignoring the actual people in his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

It's just a thinly veiled "orange man bad" thread, like the UK one is for Boris.

It's hard for us outsiders to understand other country's poliics, but Twitter hatred makes it easy to tackle the intricate policies of Trump and Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It's just a thinly veiled "orange man bad" thread, like the UK one is for Boris.

It's hard for us outsiders to understand other country's poliics, but Twitter hatred makes it easy to tackle the intricate policies of Trump and Boris.

Yeah the same posters that are bashing UK and USA responses aren't constantly posting about Sweden and the Netherlands strategies because even though they are doing sweet FA their "good" countries particularly Sweden.
    Same way not loads of posts castigating the Spanish leadership for encouraging people to go on Feminist marches but there is for Borris Johnson shaking hands, or in UK Borris gets sh-t for that Sadiq Khan gets a pass on the even more idiotic statement that using the Tube is literally NO risk.

Lots of countries and politicians really screwing this up but which countries who get complained about is to do with posters dislike of their politicians more than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Surely his action/inaction surronding this virus is open to critism/praise (like johnson and varadkar face same scruitiny)

But the numbers coming out of the U.S are currently better than our own numbers (adjusted for population difference).

And yet there appears to be a big love-in for Leo and Co. around here from some quarters - despite the fact we know they have made a number of potentially costly blunders throughout this crisis...

So, either the criticism of Trump/America is a bit over the top, or the criticism of our own leaders is curiously absent?

• Advertisement

Lord Quack, says it all :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement