Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Leroy42 wrote: »
    No idea, but based on the reactions, he will feel emboldened that should he want to do it then he will be backed-up. So there is little collateral damage to him for making the decision.

And that he very different from the almost universal view of Fauci last week that he was doing great. Now there are plenty on board with the idea.

That is the point. He doesn't come out and say it. He will next come out with "there are people saying he should be fired" line, immediately followed by "but not me, I haven't even thought about it".

Well it seemed you were so sure why he was doing everything, I'm not saying you're wrong, I appreciate you made a testable prediction.

The GOP/FOX response seems to be that Trump didn't threaten Fauci. I'm guessing if you were right(Testing the waters) then he won't be firing Fauci anytime soon, which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

2u2me wrote: »
    Context. People are willfully ignorant when they choose.

Indeed they are!

Is this another of those beautiful moments where people talk a clear statement. Fidefauci and decide it means something entirely different. Isn't it great that we have those Trumo to English translators on here.

Outlaw: Trump took credit for the economy day 1. He has had 3 bloody years. How long will he be blaming Obama for his own flaws? This is beyond pathetic. If Trump saw an issue he should have fixed it by now. Why was Ziemer, a director of global health and biodefense (an Obama speciality by the way) not replaced? Or Tom Basset. These people at least had some experience. Unlike his latest reopening team which is a mish mash of political favours and nepotism.

Sure no one was fully prepared but the question is why they were less prepared.

Blushoe: that is an important story that will need to have details emerge. I am however at complete and utter loss as to how it relates to the US response to the corona virus.

Oh and Trump was dismissing the virus as late as March 10th. Do US deaths include nursing homes etc? And are all States consistent with this approach. Remember the US is only a little above half of our testing on a per capita basis. How many died without having tests done? It certainly happened in both countries but having more testing done will limit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Leroy42 wrote: »
    No idea, but based on the reactions, he will feel emboldened that should he want to do it then he will be backed-up. So there is little collateral damage to him for making the decision.

And that he very different from the almost universal view of Fauci last week that he was doing great. Now there are plenty on board with the idea.

That is the point. He doesn't come out and say it. He will next come out with "there are people saying he should be fired" line, immediately followed by "but not me, I haven't even thought about it".

This is from the trump playbook alright. He’s quite clever and then incredibly dumb in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭dogbert27

In a country where you can sue someone for anything why don't journalists who Trump openly call fake not sue him for defamation of character?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Do you think Trump will get the virus?

• Advertisement

He's a germphobe so I don't think he'll be doing anything stupid like shaking hands like Boris did.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

He may eat a Pangolin and bat dripping sandwich hopefully though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

dogbert27 wrote: »
    He's a germphobe so I don't think he'll be doing anything stupid like shaking hands like Boris did.

You must have missed the press conference a couple of weeks back.

In a country where you can sue someone for anything why don't journalists who Trump openly call fake not sue him for defamation of character?

Sullivan vs Times. You need to prove not only slander but actual malice.

Consequently this was the same law protecting journalists who Trump wanted to sue because he believes they print slander about him.

Boggles wrote: »
    You must have missed the press conference a couple of weeks back.

About the gloves?

I laughed so hard, "I recommend everyone wear them.. everyone should wear them" "Are you wearing them Mr. Trump?" "No I won't be wearing them, its a personal choice just a recommendation"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Genuine question but which Trump? No beyond the bounds that he has some stand ins for dodgy situations where interface with the public is required and is keeping as far as possible away from this virus. I'd think he'd be very wary of it at a personal level, whatever about what effects it has on the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

His latest press conference was hands down one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

About the gloves?

I laughed so hard, "I recommend everyone wear them.. everyone should wear them" "Are you wearing them Mr. Trump?" "No I won't be wearing them, its a personal choice just a recommendation"

That was the face masks

That was the face masks

sorry yes. my mistake. still funny

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

sorry yes. my mistake. still funny

Why is him telling people to do something that he won't do himself funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

HE has done it from the very start.

Bring back jobs to America, well except his tie making company of Ivanka clothes brand.

Fake news, yet he tells multiple lies everyday.

He tells it like it is, yet gets completely bent out of shape if anyone dares to raise any criticism.

Corruption, yet he charges multiple times daily rates to the secret service and also jacked up the membership fee to Mar-a-Lago since he was POTUS.

The man is the very definition of do as I say, not what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wow, he just cut U.S funding to the WHO, in the middle of a Pandemic!

From the Guardian:
    Trump has accused the WHO of “severely mismanaging and covering up” the coronavirus crisis.

The WHO has been criticized for a 14 January tweet, which Trump has referenced, that noted that a preliminary investigation by Chinese officials found no evidence of human-to-human transmission. However, by 30 January, the organization declared coronavirus a “public health emergency”, and went on to declare a pandemic on 11 March after numerous countries - including the US and UK - failed to follow its advice. WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus spoke of “alarming levels of inaction” from many countries.

The WHO “has been drained of power and resources”, said Richard Horton, editor of the influential medical journal the Lancet. “Its coordinating authority and capacity are weak. Its ability to direct an international response to a life-threatening epidemic is non-existent.”

The Trump administration and the president himself repeatedly played down the crisis - specifically downplaying the threat to the US, inaccurately compared it to the flu and told his supporters that growing worries about the coronavirus was a “hoax”.

By the time Trump announced travel restrictions from China on 31 January, most major airlines had already suspended flights, following the lead of several major international carriers that had stopped due to the outbreak. In late February, the president said the spread of Covid-19 in the US was not inevitable and the danger to Americans “remains very low”. He predicted that the number of cases diagnosed in the country, just 15 that time, could fall to zero in “a few days”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Funding cut to the WHO

• Registered Users Posts: 25,460 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"Innovation under pressure"

Sweet jesus

It was the way the whole thing played out, like a sketch. The comedic timing was spot on.

Trump with the setup "people should wear masks"
    Reporter questions " Are you going to wear a mask"
    Trump with the punchline "of course not, it's a personal choice, just a recommendation"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Waxing lyrical about the stock market. 20,000 plus dead and hardly gets mention.

Backing down on when he says states open.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Seen that a few weeks ago when he announced the cheques, he obviously wants people to see his name on them, make them think that he personally signed the cheque and it's him that's giving them the money and not the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

Propoganda 101. Never mind that a massive amount of the stimulus will be at his control with no oversight and they could have easily given more to ordinary people struggling instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

If you think the last 4yrs was bad just wait for the next 4. No need to slightly temper his plans as he won't have to worry about a re-election. He'll do some serious damage in the next 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

threeball wrote: »
    If you think the last 4yrs was bad just wait for the next 4. No need to slightly temper his plans as he won't have to worry about a re-election. He'll do some serious damage in the next 4.

worst part is that there are young trumps in the background...could we be seeing a trump presidentiial dynasty

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

Its the same story here in Europe also. The failure of the left wing and centrist parties to govern properly has led people to vote for the extremists. You can laugh all you like at the USA, but economically they'll be laughing at us in a years time. Europe is absolutely screwed economically. Tell me one European leader who acted correctly in all of this. Not one. They all reacted when it was too late, with some even overreacting to the detriment of their own people when the horse had already bolted. Any idiot could see that we needed to close the EU border back in early February. But no, the free market bull**** and not offending anyone was more important. If there had been even one country who had closed their border on time, then they wouldn't have anything like the problems they have now. Even our own government was talking about how they had a plan in place bla bla bla and that they were expecting the virus to arrive any day. So if they knew it was coming, why didn't they, at the very least, block flights from the worst affected regions, such as China? They'll quote hindsight etc etc, but they knew it was coming. Also, the press were really found wanting again on this. And now that the **** has hit the fan, the press just ramps up the fear with the continuous scaremongering and negative headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Oh it gets even "better" - https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/14/beyond-predatory-trump-treasury-department-gives-banks-green-light-seize-1200

'Beyond Predatory': Trump Treasury Department Gives Banks Green Light to Seize $1,200 Stimulus Checks to Pay Off Debts
    President Donald Trump's Treasury Department has given U.S. banks a green light to seize a portion or all of the one-time $1,200 coronavirus relief payments meant to help Americans cope with financial hardship and instead use the money to pay off individuals' outstanding debts—a move consumer advocates decried as cruel and unacceptable.

"These payments are supposed to help individuals and families put food on the table during this crisis, not enrich debt collectors."
    —Maura Healey, Massachusetts Attorney General

"The Treasury Department effectively blessed this activity on a webinar with banking officials last Friday," The American Prospect's David Dayen reported Tuesday.

In an audio recording from the webinar obtained exclusively by the Prospect, Ronda Kent, chief disbursing officer at the Treasury Department's Bureau of the Fiscal Service, told bankers that "there's nothing in the law that precludes" financial institutions from seizing a person's payment and using it to pay off the individual's debts.

If anyone doesn't like that source, here is Forbes - https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2020/04/14/your-stimulus-check-could-be-seized-by-your-own-bank/

Advertisement