Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Beasty wrote: »
    We're not counting any that were not diagnosed with Covid-19

I understand that is the "international standard" for reporting pandemic figures

However, unlike Ireland, the UK are also reporting separately any deaths where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate, but those figures take longer to come through

Hence the UK is counting more widely than Ireland

We’re counting everyone the UK is and more. Scotland appear to be the only country in the UK counting nursing home deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm not sure if I like this whole pro-WHO tact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

The peak is yet to come in France. How can anyone here think we're doing good when we're behind France?

I mean this in the best possible way. If you get too distressed by how things are, you will do no good for yourself. It is as it is. All we can each do individually is patiently wait.
    There is a great Taoist/Confucian concept called 'wu wei' and it is almost perfect for these times we are in. Doing nothing. Effortless non doing. Watchful waiting. Patient abiding.

In 2 weeks time we will know so much more, and even more in a month. Now we cannot know or even really predict. We cannot fight against how things are.
    But we can do nothing. Peacefully.
    It is a terrible time for those who suffer badly with this virus, for those who die and their loved ones. It is a terrible time for those charged with going into battle on any front with it. All the rest of us can do is practise wu wei.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ireland is counting anyone who dies with Coronavirus as a death. The CMO has said this.
    How do they confirm it is "with coronavirus"?

They state in encompasses:
    "people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland"

That requires a test, as I understand it, and indeed as I've already indicated that seems to be the "international standard" for reporting pandemic deaths

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ScummyMan wrote: »
    You have been shot down multiple times by multiple people on the sh!te you are spreading, so you have now changed angle. People like you gleefully spreading doom baffle me

The sh!the I'm spreading? Can you not see what's happening around Europe. Even our closest neighbour had over 900 deaths today. "Ah but sure we introduced measures earlier"... Like fcuk we did, doctors coming home from holidays and told to go into work unless they showed symptoms. Allowed to get of a plane in Dublin airport and you were free to go anywhere you want without quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Wish this virus would just up and F off with itself... :(
    I find Tony Holohan a great speaker. Probably doesn’t make sense but he calms me down when I’m listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Do they not include the positive tests from the German lab in the total cases ? A bit odd

The fact it was a 6% positive rate rather than 15% tells us these tests were carried out before the tighter conditions for testing, so likely people infected at least 3-4 weeks ago.

Completely pointless adding them in now. Hopefully the 99 who tested positive self isolated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They are counting total accumulative positive tests, so you are wrong.

Right... that’s the point to focus on. So if tomorrow there was 100 cases, we’d all shrug because it’s added to a total? Hardly. That’s one of those pedantic points that somebody who likes to say “Well technically” wheels out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The sh!the I'm spreading? Can you not see what's happening around Europe. Even our closest neighbour had over 900 deaths today. "Ah but sure we introduced measures earlier"... Like fcuk we did, doctors coming home from holidays and told to go into work unless they showed symptoms. Allowed to get of a plane in Dublin airport and you were free to go anywhere you want without quarantine.

Do you think we will get to 900 deaths per day?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Beasty wrote: »
    However, unlike Ireland, the UK are also reporting separately any deaths where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate, but those figures take longer to come through

Hence the UK is counting more widely than Ireland

Ireland are reporting anyone with Covid-19 on their death cert in the daily numbers that are released.

The UK aren't doing this in their daily numbers (hospitals only), but the ONS is doing it in a follow up count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

ICU is full and they can't take in new patients now. That's the real problem now.

Every single thing you post is incorrect. I would hate to be your work colleague. The way your brain works would drive me insane. Do you not get sick of always being wrong and having to be constantly corrected?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not sure if I like this whole pro-WHO tact.

Well Tony's point is that everyone was caught napping by the virus and many mistakes were made.

The entire global preparation for a potential pandemic would be something of a separate discussion.

Called off paddys day parades,while cheltenham,and sports matches went ahead over there

Like i was looking forward to waterford beating kk,in the league above in kk,but looks like it wont happen now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Strazdas wrote: »
    Well Tony's point is that everyone was caught napping by the virus and many mistakes were made.

The entire global preparation for a potential pandemic would be something of a separate discussion.
    It's impossible to deny though that Taiwan's ignorance of the WHO proved entirely successful, regardless of what issue they had with SARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

twirlagig wrote: »
    Wish this virus would just up and F off with itself... :(
    I find Tony Holohan a great speaker. Probably doesn’t make sense but he calms me down when I’m listening to him.

He delivers the updates well. Just gives factual information that isn't politically motivated. You need good communication and leadership at times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

ICU is full and they can't take in new patients now. That's the real problem now.
    ICU is not full

Good to see new cases are stable and deaths down today. Positive!

Unfortunately when it comes to deaths they are likely to be up and down but the general overall trend will be up especially when icus become overwhelmed. Sad reality of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Stheno wrote: »

If we got to 75 it would be proportionally the same. Not saying we will, hopefully we will not.

Stheno wrote: »

Nobody knows this.

Unfortunately when it comes to deaths they are likely to be up and down but the general overall trend will be up especially when icus become overwhelmed. Sad reality of this.

I don't think you're allowed to speak reality here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

The peak is yet to come in France. How can anyone here think we're doing good when we're behind France?
    No matter how one looks at this question it doesn't make since

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's impossible to deny though that Taiwan's ignorance of the WHO proved entirely successful, regardless of what issue they had with SARS.

Nonetheless, mistakes have been made all over the place. Nobody was entirely sure what they were dealing with when Covid-19 came along. It could have been a six week wonder and quickly faded away.

Absolutely. Countries who ignored WHO advice on flights and travel did much better than those who didn't and left their borders wide open.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nobody knows this.
    You do understand that the UK has twelve times the population of Ireland so 900 deaths there is the equivalent of 75 here?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Ireland is counting anyone who dies with Coronavirus as a death. The CMO has said this.
    No I believe he said with COVID-19 on their death certificate, the two are not synonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Is it just me or has the standard of journalist question gone through the fcucking floor on these briefings?

Dante7 wrote: »
    Every single thing you post is incorrect. I would hate to be your work colleague. The way your brain works would drive me insane. Do you not get sick of always being wrong and having to be constantly corrected?

Maybe the news is wrong as well

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129248-dublin-mater-icu/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bekker wrote: »
    No I believe he said with COVID-19 on their death certificate, the two are not synonymous.

Either way, it contradicts what Beasty said. He said Ireland doesn't count all deaths with Corona virus on their death certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Funkfield wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the standard of journalist question gone through the fcucking floor on these briefings?

They were on the floor from the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Okay so back to figures.

So we can't rely on number of new positives as an indication of how well we are doing at social distancing/isolation/cocooning as a country. New positives are completely a product of how many tests results you are issuing, and we all know our issues there. Suffice to say that the 365 today is test results for people who took a test two weeks ago. And most of those people would have only taken the test a couple of days after symptoms showed up, and the average incubation period is five days. So the new cases today are people who got infected in or around the first weekend after the schools closed (14/15 March), and possible before that.

Number of deaths is a slightly better indicator, though it appears that our handling of infections in nursing homes is resulting in an unforeseen increase in our death rate. It would be much more informative if we knew how many of the deaths so far were of people who were not in a nursing home setting. That would give a better indicator of community transmission the population at large. But as far as I can see that figure is not available, and therefore the death rate is also not a great indicator.

ICU figures suffer from the same issue.

So is there any statistical figures that can be relied upon to give an indication of whether we are going up or plateauing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement