Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Amirani wrote: »
    That's incorrect.

Virgin Media News at 5.30 confirmed that 3 Dublin hospitals Mater, Beaumont and I think St. James ICU are at capacity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Correct, there's plenty of additional beds.

FWIW - ICU beds are full most days, that's how it works (at least in the busier hospitals). Mater with their 18 regular ICU beds will tend to put 18 sickest patients in the hospital in there and then move people out as they get better or sicker people come in.

This is completely different to being at capacity, which we're no way near yet. Unfortunately, the Irish Times ran a story on this today which was a bit misleading, I assume that's where the OP is getting their info.

Ok, we're not like Italy, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

George lee loves that report because it paints a depressing picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

George Lee is a horrible little man who thrives on giving the nation bad news. Before C19 is was forever dooming and glooming about the environment.

When he comes on I switch over.

He is asking the questions I'd be putting to this panel. They are very unwilling to state the bleeding obvious it must be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Virgin Media News at 5.30 confirmed that 3 Dublin hospitals Mater, Beaumont and I think St. James ICU are at capacity

As they always are, this was explained a few posts back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

One reason for this. Cheltenham.

Birmingham (en route to Cheltenham) is a now a UK hotspot. Our spineless government have a lot to answer for. Everything they've done has been reactive and meek. Will they put controls on flights coming into Ireland over the summer? Of course not, so we're in for multiple waves of this

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

But they have surge capacity available in high dependency wards for critical care patients

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    George lee said “bad” with a bit too much effort.

Hes so depressing to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Rte need to remove George lee off this story and get fergal bowers or someone else ask questions. He’s depressing.

He's making opinionated statements and then turning them in a question at the very ending. Almost scolding them. I keep yelling at the TV for him to shut up..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They have patients (both Covid and non-Covid) in all of their regular ICU beds. That doesn't mean they are at capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He is asking the questions I'd be putting to this panel. They are very unwilling to state the bleeding obvious it must be said.
    They are using where we are at present. The caution been really admirable in predicting ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The peak is yet to come in France. How can anyone here think we're doing good when we're behind France?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

George Lee is a horrible little man who thrives on giving the nation bad news. Before C19 is was forever dooming and glooming about the environment.

When he comes on I switch over.

He also doomed and gloomed about the ecomony when no one else was pre the collapse in 2008

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

joe_99 wrote: »
    UK deaths now at 7097. These are hospital only deaths. I wonder how many are dying outside hospitals e.g. nursing homes? At least we are counting everyone.
    We're not counting any that were not diagnosed with Covid-19

I understand that is the "international standard" for reporting pandemic figures

However, unlike Ireland, the UK are also reporting separately any deaths where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate, but those figures take longer to come through

Hence the UK is counting more widely than Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

We had our highest ever death total yesterday!

It's almost like some people have become desensitized to the fact that these are real people dying everyday... and quite a lot of them. They're not just statistics!

Just being realistic I'm afraid. Of course it's tragic for the families who are losing loved ones but the nature of this virus is that something like 2% of people who get Infected will die from it. Sadly that's the reality every country is facing not just Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are using where we are at present. The caution been really admirable in predicting ahead.

We will be social distancing for as long as there is no vaccine (unless something unexpected changes in the virus itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Have they got the medical staff to look after the critical cases in ICU?

Yes clearly they've planned capacity against staff. Watch and listen to the press conference

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They have patients (both Covid and non-Covid) in all of their regular ICU beds. That doesn't mean they are at capacity.

Yes they said in the briefing that of the original 312 beds 138 are available and they plan to surge to 812 ICU beds

The safest place to be in the ROI is in prison :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Rte need to remove George lee off this story and get fergal bowers or someone else ask questions. He’s depressing.

Great idea, let's sugarcoat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Beasty wrote: »

I understand that is the "international standard" for reporting pandemic figures

However, unlike Ireland, the UK are also reporting separately any deaths where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate, but those figures take longer to come through

The CMO has said anyone who has COVID-19 on their death certificate is recorded.

I'm not sure who the lady talking to Zara King but I think she used full for the 3 Dublin hospitals ICUs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

lbj666 wrote: »
    He also doomed and gloomed about the ecomony when no one else was pre the collapse in 2008

Yes and agriculture dooming and glooming as part of his remit as environment reporter..... I just switch channels when I see him as I find his reporting style utterly depressing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Beasty wrote: »

Ireland is counting anyone who dies with Coronavirus as a death. The CMO has said this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

skallywag wrote: »
    Great idea, let's sugarcoat it.

I never said to sugarcoat it. But there is a way to ask the right question in an appropriate way and not a doom and gloom way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

The peak is yet to come in France. How can anyone here think we're doing good when we're behind France?

You have been shot down multiple times by multiple people on the sh!te you are spreading, so you have now changed angle. People like you gleefully spreading doom baffle me

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭realrebel

My aunt was one of the 25 today, an awful feeling.

Sorry for your loss and may she rest in peace

keynes wrote: »
    Birmingham (en route to Cheltenham) is a now a UK hotspot. Our spineless government have a lot to answer for. Everything they've done has been reactive and meek. Will they put controls on flights coming into Ireland over the summer? Of course not, so we're in for multiple waves of this

It's the 2nd biggest City in England of course it's a bloody hotspot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Good to see new cases are stable and deaths down today. Positive!

• Advertisement

What kind of figures would you imagine we should be getting? This is a highly contagious virus for which there is neither vaccine or cure for. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that if people don't cop on we could be losing 60 people a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement