Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    There's a strong possibility that ICU capacity will be reached within the next week or so unfortunately.

Based on what. How many are currently in ICU today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Ah go away out of that, where's your positivity?

This could be such a great thread but .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

How come we’re not washing down the streets.? Seeing other countries do it every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

owlbethere wrote: »
    Yes, I'm going to quote this because it's exactly what was going through my mind a few times.

I would like to see indications that the restrictions we have are working.

The virus hitting nursing homes would increase the death cases. I was thinking the same thing that if there was a breakdown or a separation of the death cases.

No, crap in crap out. Worlds in lockdown with no good data to justify their decisions, other than "we just dont know".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Apparently dozens more staff in quarantine. Lucky she didn't go back

I’m beginning to wonder if the hospitals and nursing homes are now the main sources of infection. If you subtract the number of suspected Covid-positive healthcare staff, and those that they may have unwittingly infected, from the overall number of cases, you might not be left with very many.
    It is curious how many clusters have been occurring in nursing homes where the only contacts they would have are health care staff.
    The testing of health care workers should be the top priority now. I can’t see much need to test patients as all you can do anyway is treat the symptoms you see and treat any suspected Covid case as positive.
    It is much more important that health care workers are tested frequently. The biggest danger is health care workers infecting each other.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The safest place to be in the ROI is in prison :p
    Are you joking. They're not testing anyone anymore. Do you really think they're going to fall over themselves to test criminals? There are "no confirmed cases" in Irish prisons but there are loads of prisoners in isolation and with symptoms.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I’m beginning to wonder if the hospitals and nursing homes are now the main sources of infection. If you subtract the number of suspected Covid-positive healthcare staff, and those that they may have unwittingly infected, from the overall number of cases, you might not be left with very many.
    It is curious how many clusters have been occurring in nursing homes where the only contacts they would have are health care staff.
    The testing of health care workers should be the top priority now. I can’t see much need to test patients as all you can do anyway is treat the symptoms you see and treat any suspected Covid case as positive.
    It is much more important that health care workers are tested frequently. The biggest danger is health care workers infecting each other.

... and their families, and if they go to the shop, and play sports, movies etc.

Ethically we all lockdown. but where does they get us in the end if the healthcare setting is the primary cause.

Is there (unethically, but practically) anything to he said for welding nursing home doors and hospitals shut at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

rm212 wrote: »
    It’s kind of strange to talk about a “coordinated lifting” when every country has a completely different situation and are at different stages with the virus...

Not only that the EU don't really have a say in individual countries running on restrictions as most restrictions are issued by the governments health board.
    To even get such a coordinated lifting they would need unilateral agreement from every member.
    They still haven't agreed how to reboot the European economy.
    It will be interesting to read the report
    Plus I would not believe everything i read in the guardian .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Based on nothing, another poster speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Please give it a rest for awhile. At the moment anyway, you are your username.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

joeysoap wrote: »
    How come we’re not washing down the streets.? Seeing other countries do it every day

Well you have the soap. Go ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Looking at most of your posts, you seem to be at your wits end. I suggest you take your own advice in the last post quoted above.

How come you didn't quote my last post where I said I was sorry for caring?

It's clear I'm meant think that we're all doing great and I shouldn't think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Healthcare workers are being tested both through contact tracing and symptomatic cases. Turnaround time was 4 to 5 days but seems to be 1 to 2 now with them self isolating awaiting a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

... and their families, and if they go to the shop, and play sports, movies etc.

Ethically we all lockdown. but where does they get us in the end if the healthcare setting is the primary cause.

Is there (unethically, but practically) anything to he said for welding nursing home doors and hospitals shut at this stage?

Yikes. I think we have gone through the looking glass now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

Number updated to match today's report

No Change in number
    508810.PNG

Slow Change
    508811.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    508812.PNG

again with all of this I'm just trying to show people the 14 day delay in an change in how we deal with this
    if you wait till we are overloaded it's too late

interesting visualization of covid19
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Based on reaching the peak of this thing and lasting approx 2-3 weeks. The the HSE have said there are over 100 in ICU available. The real question is will we have sufficient health staff.

I'd much prefer to be wrong about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Based on nothing, another poster speculating.

There is a lot of speculation going on. I've engaged in a bit of it myself.

But really that's because of the lack of transparency from the HSE. We wouldn't speculate if they published clear and concise statistics.

Gynoid wrote: »
    Yikes. I think we have gone through the looking glass now.

I dont think that's a rebuttal.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

How come you didn't quote my last post where I said I was sorry for caring?

It's clear I'm meant think that we're all doing great and I shouldn't think otherwise.

I don't doubt your good intentions. But you seem to be overly agitated compared to most on here. Take a nice break!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

NH2013 wrote: »
    I believe the total number of people arriving at Dublin airport today is less than 40 in total, from London, New York and Chicago being the only flights today.

Everyone arriving will be required to quarantine for 14 days.

Don't know about numbers for ferries, but given that the ferry companies are looking to suspend services I can't imagine it's many more, and also would be required to quarantine.

Anyone arriving into Ireland is being told to self isolate not put into mandatory quarantine as you seem to be suggesting from this post. Ideally this is something that should have happened weeks ago but that horse has long since bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

rm212 wrote: »
    I keep seeing groups of people - young lads, kids, adult neighbours (all ages) walking around the estate together today, right next to each other - in close proximity, heading towards the local park. Kids walking and skipping holding each others hands...

I'm seeing this as well. Up my me it's mainly the council estate types that are doing this. There were e 8 lads out on the green this evening drinking beers. Do they not give a ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I’m beginning to wonder if the hospitals and nursing homes are now the main sources of infection.

There aren't, or there shouldn't be, many other locations where there is extensive (and largely unavoidable unfortunately) 'close contact' between non-family members. Don't know what's to be done about it beyond regular testing of staff though. Another area where the '15-minute test' would be a godsend...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Yesterday evening I drove, lazy yes, 1km to get a takeaway. While waiting outside, a cyclist passed by with a water bottle, and took a swig and then gozzied it out onto the street. Freaked me and another person waiting nearby tbh. Anyway, I got my takeaway a minute later and on the short drive home caught up with him - so followed him for a hundred yards only to see him spitting on two more occasions out onto the path after taking swigs of his water. This might be a thing that cyclists do (not wanting to drink too much liquids or something) but it was disgusting.

Anyway, he pulled into presumably his house a minute later so I know where he lives. I also have him on the dashcam spitting twice.

I know I will be accused of not minding my own business etc, and I didn't challenge him at the time, but I am wondering whether to either:

1) drop a note into the house where hopefully his family might knock some sense into him (he was in his early twenties)
    2) notify the gardaí.
    3) mind my own business and chastise myself for even following him.

Yes, I know, I will now get accused of not minding my own business etc. etc. but I saw this as a clear risk to other members of the public at this time.

Bar one response I am surprised people were not angrier about this. To me, spitting on the ground is risking droplets of god knows what around in front of walkers. Maybe I was just overreacting!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,561 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

s1ippy wrote:
    Are you joking. They're not testing anyone anymore. Do you really think they're going to fall over themselves to test criminals? There are "no confirmed cases" in Irish prisons but there are loads of prisoners in isolation and with symptoms.
    And I've been told that a Prison officer working in a Portlaoise prison went to Cheltenham, didn't self-isolate and went back to work. A couple of days later he has symptoms and is sent home with seven other staff whom he came in contact with on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I dont think that's a rebuttal.

A rebuttal of the idea of welding shut the hospitals and nursing homes?
    Just. No.

Look. If everywhere shuts then logically those places that MUST remain open will become the loci for infection. If schools, factories, sites, universities, hotels etc were all open they would all presently have clusters.
    Have you got stocks in welding supplies by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/04/08/eu-member-states-fail-to-agree-on-coronavirus-credit-line.html

Words fail to describe this.

The EU and ECB would want to be careful that the markets don't come to believe that the political will to save the euro or avoid a depression in Europe is not there.

Who could blame them for that?

Hard to fathom the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Anyone arriving into Ireland is being told to self isolate not put into mandatory quarantine as you seem to be suggesting from this post. Ideally this is something that should have happened weeks ago but that horse has long since bolted.

Being told to self-isolate is tantamount to doing nothing. This issue will be as relevant as ever over the next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

eagle eye wrote: »
    And I've been told that a Prison officer working in a Portlaoise prison went to Cheltenham, didn't self-isolate and went back to work. A couple of days later he has symptoms and is sent home with seven other staff whom he came in contact with on that day.

A stag party went to Newcastle in the early stages of the outbreak and landed back in cavan and were drinking away in different pubs. Could be an explanation for the rocketing number of cases in that county

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'm seeing this as well. Up my me it's mainly the council estate types that are doing this. There were e 8 lads out on the green this evening drinking beers. Do they not give a ****e?

Unfortunately this was not in a council estate and the people around here are mostly middle working class, decent enough cars etc... I’d be worried if this is a general picture of what’s going on. I haven’t been leaving the house due to being a type 1 diabetic so I don’t know what it’s like in general out there but this stuff around me has been pissing me off a bit today. Music out in the gardens, kids screaming and playing in the park.. seemed like a normal sunny summer day here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,561 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How can you trust anyone that's willing to travel to do the right thing? You should be quarantined for 14 days and at your own expense too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement