Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No-one said we should ground those planes.

We did say we should have our own capacity to manufacture PPE which it turns out we do. Except the HSE have been more keen to engage with China than a company in Limerick.

Why do you think the HSE have chosen this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

MadYaker wrote: »
    I have a daily disinfection process of everything I touch regularly, keys, phone, door handles, light switches etc etc, takes about 30 mins.

And you're going to a festival in Amsterdam in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ardent wrote: »
    Not a chance IMO. This thing is like a snowball rolling downhill, gathering size and pace. We'll be lucky if we peak end of April.

How do you figure that ?week

Yesterday was only and 8% increase, the % increase has been gradually coming down ,

It'll take two weeks before we see Fridays measure even come into effect ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ITman88 wrote: »
    This thread is worse for people’s health than the virus itself!
    Doomsday fantasies

Why don't you go out and do something else then? Oh that's right, you can't because the whole country is in lock down. You were peddling the big fuss about nothing line way back in the second or third threads on this topic, and still having been proven wrong by events, you are still criticising people for being concerned about this pandemic. How about you whistle some other tune?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Analysis of the usage of the incinerators during the pandemic in Wuhan and delivery of urns afterwards both point to the true death toll in Wuhan alone being nearly 50,000.
    https://www.inquisitr.com/5970405/wuhan-death-toll-42000/
    'A source with knowledge within provincial civil affairs bureau claimed that Wuhan had 28,000 cremations within just one month. The insider added that many of the fatalities were people that had died at home and had neither been diagnosed with nor treated for the virus.'

Considering what happened in Italy and Spain , with thousands of deaths between them daily even weeks after lockdown, the Chinese figures just seem literally impossible to believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Bloody hell is it just me or does there seem to be genuine disappointment amongst some posters on here that numbers are not rocketing as was speculated?

Whipping people up into a frenzy seems to be a hobby, its ridiculous carry on

I am personally really relieved and hopeful that we can keep it low. Still worried that we won't but at present we are doing really well.

I think most people that are somewhat normal would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Notmything wrote: »
    Tbf, my neighbours came home from England at the weekend. Were told to isolate for 14 days but have done anything but.
    Had a reunion party the night they got home, have gone to work and on the go the whole time.
    Some people will ignore directives, instructions or whatever and do their own thing.

Did you report them?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Bloody hell is it just me or does there seem to be genuine disappointment amongst some posters on here that numbers are not rocketing as was speculated?

Whipping people up into a frenzy seems to be a hobby, its ridiculous carry on

So true. Some people were trying to argue or pick holes in the leaked report this morning which means that we are looking at being nowhere near the government's projected peak of patients in ICU. It's good news but some people seem disappointed.

I'm fairly sure there was an Italian, Spanish and French version of you a couple weeks ago.

This is nothing to do with a hobby. Its about studying well worn trends in all those countries.

I'm delighted positive cases are coming down. That doesn't mean we should lift our guard.

More to the point it also doesn't mean the numbers in ICU or dying will fall. Of 200 cases daily, at least 10 will end up in ICU.

The only ones who think this is sport or a hobby are those who say things like "stop whipping people into a frenzy" or "we are doing great". The rest of us are taking this seriously.

Deaths and icu increase are inevitable , just a case as keeping the as low as possible,

This thing is going to be horrific but its a case of keeping it at the lower end of horrific as much as possible,

People will lose family and loved ones but as nation so far we are doing ok , Remember ok still means hundreds if not a thousand or so losses of life , Its all relative when you think how bad it could get ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Newsflash ( via RTE) : Dominic "Herd Immunity" Cummings has the corona.

He has self isolated with symptoms, not been confirmed with Corona.
    voluntary wrote: »
    Holy Karma :pac::pac::pac:

I wouldn't laugh about someone getting ill and quote karma in the same sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why don't you go out and do something else then? Oh that's right, you can't because the whole country is in lock down. You were peddling the big fuss about nothing line way back in the second or third threads on this topic, and still having been proven wrong by events, you are still criticising people for being concerned about this pandemic. How about you whistle some other tune?

I am actually out at work very luckily I must add!
    Many others are too.
    Just because I’m highlighting the numbers are way off the projected worse case scenario doesn’t mean I’m criticising concern.
    I’m criticising the attitude of people ignoring what’s measured, and believing those figures to be false, so they can imagine worst case scenarios.
    And it’s a discussion thread, I’ll whistle my tune and you play your violin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

cloudatlas wrote: »
    There are a lot of misconceptions about how people in their 70's operate on a day to day basis like they are enfeebled and shuffling down the street or something. My folks travel to several countries every year, love to go for long walks in the countryside, read loads, go the cinema,theatre, meet their friends at coffee shops, live full and active lives.

Absolutely, plenty of people in their 70s leading full active lives. That makes the current guidance all the more important, so that they can continue their lifestyle when this is over.
    Ultimately guidance is just that, over 70s can still continue like everyone else. Risk is just so much higher.

I am personally really relieved and hopeful that we can keep it low. Still worried that we won't but at present we are doing really well.

I think most people that are somewhat normal would be the same.

Same here. However I find on this thread there are an awful lot of people who are just misery/ doom merchants. Coming out with statements like, "this is all going to get so much worse" or "look at Italy, we are headed that way" without any kind of supporting evidence, it is usually just an opinion or a hunch. The kind that wring their hands and feign sadness when hearing about someone else's tragic accident but are secretly lapping up the gossip. You can't mention anything positive around them - it will be shot down immediately, and if you call them on it, you are branded naive/ a denier and a hopeless optimist! :D

ITman88 wrote: »
    I am actually out at work very luckily I must add!
    Many others are too.
    Just because I’m highlighting the numbers are way off the projected worse case scenario doesn’t mean I’m criticising concern.
    I’m criticising the attitude of people ignoring what’s measured, and believing those figures to be false, so they can imagine worst case scenarios.
    And it’s a discussion thread, I’ll whistle my tune and you play your violin

Who? Why don't you show an example of those who are doomsday people and argue with the point instead of vague criticisms.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Same here. However I find on this thread there are an awful lot of people who are just misery/ doom merchants. Coming out with statements like, "this is all going to get so much worse" or "look at Italy, we are headed that way" without any kind of supporting evidence, it is usually just an opinion or a hunch. The kind that wring their hands and feign sadness when hearing about someone else's tragic accident but are secretly lapping up the gossip. You can't mention anything positive around them - it will be shot down immediately, and if you call them on it, you are branded naive/ a denier and a hopeless optimist! :D

I'm not seeing it. I think we would be on the same course as Italy if we didn't take measures to prevent this. I think people are scared by what is happening rather then enjoying gossip.

I get what you are saying however I think it's fear.

Who? Why don't you show an example of those who are doomsday people and argue with the point instead of vague criticisms.

The pandemic would be over by the time anyone could go back through all the threads and quote the thousands of prophecies of doom. Still, it would be something to do over the next few weeks for anyone with time on their hands :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

From what I can see, masks from a Limerick company are being flown out to China.
    Then we buy masks from China.
    And those masks are flown back to Ireland.

If you want proof we're a banana republic you've just seen it.

My son lives in China. He sent us a supply of masks that he was able to purchase retail this week. DHL charged VAT on masks, VAT on delivery costs. Other duties etc. Amounted to a pretty penny. All above board as per Terms and Conditions etc

He had not put a value on the parcel but the guy in DHL China, casually asked him the value of the items and after he was gone put the value on the parcel etc

Still glad to get them.

It's funny but back in February we were sending him masks (that originally were made in China) because he couldn't get any.

What a difference a month makes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Seem that RTE report about Dominick Cummings was premature. He is showing symptoms of the virus but has not tested positive.

I'm not seeing it. I think we would be on the same course as Italy if we didn't take measures to prevent this. I think people are scared by what is happening rather then enjoying gossip.

Ok, well I do see it. We will just have to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Is that a serious question?

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    Absolutely, plenty of people in their 70s leading full active lives. That makes the current guidance all the more important, so that they can continue their lifestyle when this is over.
    Ultimately guidance is just that, over 70s can still continue like everyone else. Risk is just so much higher.

My own dad insists on going for a walk every second day . Waits till there is no one around and does a lap of the green area right outside the house,
    Iv begged him to stay in but he insist he needs his walk, and wears masks and gloves while he does it,

He's 73 and no underlying condition and I pray to god it doesn't become a case of me wondering was there more I could have done to stop him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0330/1127300-coronavirus-analysis-ireland-cases/

seems like half our "clusters" are in either hospitals or nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Any know if Dominc Cummins or Boris a smoker?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

My own dad insists on going for a walk every second day . Waits till there is no one around and does a lap of the green area right outside the house,
    Iv begged him to stay in but he insist he needs his walk, and wears masks and gloves while he does it,

He's 73 and no underlying condition and I pray to god it doesn't become a case of me wondering was there more I could have done to stop him

I think he is right no offence. Need to moving a bit
    A walk around is no risk.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

And your Dad is in the right. Nothing wrong with a walk outside away from people.

It's no different to being at home with the windows open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

froog wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0330/1127300-coronavirus-analysis-ireland-cases/

seems like half our "clusters" are in either hospitals or nursing homes.

Which makes perfect sense given that the only “clustered accommodation” in the state are hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, boarding schools and the like. Most of us live in separate family units... and in most jobs (except health and social care) people broadly speaking are 2 metres apart a lot of the time.

I honestly think that's sensible enough. Especially if he is doing it with nobody around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've also seen a few older rebels out and about, usually in the early morning or after dark!

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Any know if Dominc Cummins or Boris a smoker?

Why are we still kidding ourselves that only smokers and old people need to worry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

..... We have all adjusted ourselves to this new world more than we realise.
    I believe you ............. as it came directly from the horse's mouth.
    Humans adapt. It's what we do best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement