Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

frillyleaf wrote: »
    He needs to be listened to.
    CMO constantly refers to ECDC and WHO guidelines and I don't think that it is one they advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Hrududu wrote: »
    Honestly, first we have days of people giving out that there is no PPE, that we need more PPE, why aren't the government getting more PPE. Then we do and its, why are the government paying so much?
    We need it obviously, but it would be interesting to know if we are actually being gouged by the Chinese manufacturers ... or middle men. Few sensitive souls on here don't seem to want the question being asked.

Might put the offers of Chinese assistance into perspective if we are paying inflated prices.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Many people will adhere to their 'social responsibilities' and many will not. This has been made patently clear in the last few weeks.

Just telling someone to do isolate is not a solution when compared to quarantine.
    CMO is on record as saying quarantine doesn't work. It's an appeal to personal responsibility and our current restrictions means limited contacts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

growleaves wrote: »
    Oh right so there isn't any need for the clarification of basic medical statistics or to find out the spread of the virus among the general population?

Grand so.

If its all the same to you I'm going to call for scientific investigation into the disease anyway. Its no inconvenience to anyone here is it? I hate to be a bore.

This is clearly a disease causing severe respiratory distress, requiring significant medical intervention to have any chance of survival for a certain percentage of infected patients. While that percentage is currently unknown, the amount of people requiring that level of intervention has been enough to overwhelm capacity in every country with significant community spread. The only thing that can be done at this time is to limit the spread of disease by enforced social distancing. Time is of the essence in this pandemic, and we don't have the time to follow the glib recommendations of this professor. Frankly, he should be ashamed of himself for taking such a cavalier view of a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

When do people expect the current restrictions to be eased? I know we’ve being eased in but if the government are expecting the peak 10-14th April it’s most likely going to be a further two weeks of this type of lock down, unless people don’t take it seriously in which it will be stricter. I assume a big part of the way the restrictions have been implemented is not only to control the virus but to manage the public freaking out / not complying.

On a purely selfish level I’m wondering how long before we can see my folks again- 4 weeks? 6 weeks?? More?!. (They’re not over 70 or vulnerable, I assume that segment of society will be restricted longer).

• Advertisement

kyote00 wrote: »
    Your two brain cells are practising social distancing if you believe that **** ...

Haha I love this line. I’m definitely gonna use it on someone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Are all the motor factors closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Strange to hear near total silence coming from the Naas Road this morning

The constant drone of traffic gone

I seem to hear the birds more, huge bumble bees flying into the window and definitely noticed the air quality improved.

Some positives I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Are all the motor factors closed?

Not sure about all, but Halfords are closed. You could try Micksgarage. They're still shipping from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Someone mentioned Finland. Their restrictions are much lighter than ours but they have sealed off the Helsinki area from the rest of the country. Apart from this there are no police checks & people are free to go wherever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Beanybabog wrote: »
    When do people expect the current restrictions to be eased? I know we’ve being eased in but if the government are expecting the peak 10-14th April it’s most likely going to be a further two weeks of this type of lock down, unless people don’t take it seriously in which it will be stricter. I assume a big part of the way the restrictions have been implemented is not only to control the virus but to manage the public freaking out / not complying.

On a purely selfish level I’m wondering how long before we can see my folks again- 4 weeks? 6 weeks?? More?!. (They’re not over 70 or vulnerable, I assume that segment of society will be restricted longer).

The government medical officer at the press conference in the UK yesterday was estimating 6 months with possibly “some gradual” relaxation of restrictions along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Nobody knows. Some experts say after July we'll need to start antibody testing to let those immune and recovered go back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Question about vaccines in general, do they only prevent the disease or can they be used to cure someone who is allready sick from it aswell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Yes and lets not forget either that the Authorities admonished Nursing Homes Ireland when they did decide to shut down the Nursing homes back on the 6th.

They called it on March 6th and were publicly scolded on March 7th for doing so.

Big mistake, big mistake.

"Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has insisted the risk of contracting Covid-19 in Ireland remains low.

He appealed again to organisations... not to act unilaterally...following the decision of the Nursing Homes Ireland to implement visitor restrictions nationwide."

I remember Leo Varadker using the same words later that day in his briefing.

NHI made their decision on March 6 and even if it was too late, they had the nerve to act unilaterally - even if they were told off.

This one isn't on NHI and just to add, their staff urgently need PPE.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0307/1120765-coronavirus/

Yes I was thinking about ppe too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The figures officially reported over the last 7 days and the percentage increase over the previous day look like this:

Number Total % change
    219 1,125 - 24.17%

204 1,329 - 18.13%

235 1,564 - 17.68%

255 1,819 - 16.30%

302 2,121 - 16.60%

294 2,415 - 13.86%

200 2,615 - 8.28%

The latest figure may show some sign of hope. It comes in roughly 14 days after the pubs and public events were shut. The 14 days seem significant as the epidemiologists appear to agree that this is the virus incubation period, although there was the mass exodus to the countryside during this period.

Lets hope in two weeks time when the latest restrictions have run for 14 days that there is a similar substantial reduction in the percentage increase stat.

Yes, it's looking promising, the same in Spain and Italy over the last few days, new cases seem to be peaking ....

I'm feeling hopeful for the first time....

No, absolutely not. This is up there with signing up for your kids to get Mumps and finding out 17 years later that your son is sterile.

You are only healthy until the day you find out you're not.

No one ever knows they have Cancer, cardiovascular disease, an aneurysm or Diabetes Type 2...until they have it and then everyone around says 'Oh My God! We had no idea!...we would never have guessed...!!!'

So no.

That's the thing about underlying conditions - you never know until the second you know that you have one.

This is what makes me so nervous about this disease. There could be any side affects that we can’t tell of as it’s a new disease

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Question about vaccines in general, do they only prevent the disease or can they be used to cure someone who is allready sick from it aswell ?

prevention only...its usually made on dead or inactive virus that kicks your immune system to 'learn' the virus profile...so when you do get it -- it can react

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yes, it's looking promising, the same in Spain and Italy over the last few days, new cases seem to be peaking ....

I'm feeling hopeful for the first time....

I was feeling hopeful middle last week when day to day increases were less than 20%, below 10% I was not expecting so its very encouraging for the public that we are having an impact it seems. At the very least in this moment with do not appear to be out of control and this buys some time to get prepared for the peak when it comes (perhaps in the next 10 days, perhaps not). The PPE gear on way, the extra recruitment, the beds in Citywest hotel, the testing centres. Everyone has done a good job and tackled this. I am not a big fan of this government but I do feel they are taking the right measures at the right time and driven by good information, its all you can ask! A lot of bad decisions over the years in terms of health service but we are scrambling well to ensure we are ready to fight this.

• Advertisement

Just further highlights how out of their depth Holohan and Varadker area.
    Barely three weeks ago telling everyone things were rosy.

This thing is going to cut through nursing homes like a knife through butter and those two along with many others are to blame.

I’ve elderly relatives that are in nursing homes and feel I may not see them again. They are quite old and have lived long lives but it is very sad to think they could pass away under these circumstances. I don’t like the thoughts of them being scared seeing people wearing masks etc as it must be very confusing for them. it is sad that we can’t visit them as I’m not sure they’ll understand why.

I hope they are ok and aren’t too aware of what is going on in terms of the news as they would find it terrifying :(

I think they will have a cold hard look at the current ones at Easter. If the rate declines as it seems to be doing IMO there may be some relaxation near the end of April but the overall ones on work etc I'd say end of May/June. By July I think we'll be normal-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

These measures are costing the Country a fortune. The government will want to get most people back to work asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I’ve elderly relatives that are in nursing homes and feel I may not see them again. They are quite old and have lived long lives but it is very sad to think they could pass away under these circumstances. I don’t like the thoughts of them being scared seeing people wearing masks etc as it must be very confusing for them. it is sad that we can’t visit them as I’m not sure they’ll understand why.

I hope they are ok and aren’t too aware of what is going on in terms of the news as they would find it terrifying :(

Its terrible alright but very hard to stop it getting into nursing homes. Unless you stop people working there and bringing in supplies etc . Which obviously cant happen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nobody knows. Some experts say after July we'll need to start antibody testing to let those immune and recovered go back to work.

July? These restrictions will be relaxed in May and antibody testing will start in April. People will have to go back to work much sooner than July or all the businesses that are closed now will be closed forever. That’s the last I heard from our government anyway. I’m going on holidays in July.

MadYaker wrote: »
    July? These restrictions will be relaxed in May and antibody testing will start in April. People will have to go back to work much sooner than July or all the businesses that are closed now will be closed forever. That’s the last I heard from our government anyway. I’m going on holidays in July.

UK suggesting the restrictions will be in place for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

You wont be going on holiday in July i would guess

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Where are you going in July?

UK suggesting the restrictions will be in place for 6 months

Good thing we live in Ireland so with a fraction of the population. It won’t take as long to infect everyone here.

• Advertisement

Where are you going in July?

Amsterdam for a festival called Dekmantel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement