Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are told to self-isolate for 14 days. Why do you imagine people would choose to ignore that?

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Listening to morning Ireland they are expecting over 500 ICU patients during April whereas we only have under 200 ICU beds at present. This is bad.. Real bad
    double check that 200 number mate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Did I just hear it right on RTE that we spent €200 million on PPE? That seems like an incredibly huge sum :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lawred2 wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Really hard to guess what your point is from a single word. I know a number of people who are in or near the end of theirs. It's called social responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

You Need To Listen To This Leading COVID-19 Expert From South Korea

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital

An informative and excellent insight from a real expert - time well spent.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Did I just hear it right on RTE that we spent €200 million on PPE? That seems like an incredibly huge sum :confused:
    It's actually €230m+, think the first shipment is €23m worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

It's actually €230m+, think the first shipment is €23m worth.
    Wow. How long will that last for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Well why didn't you tell them you could get it cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Hand sanitizer jumped from 1 EUR per 100 ml bottle in Ireland to 6 EUR plus shipment for the same sized bottle, face masks jumped from 0.10 EUR per mask to NOT AVAILABLE.

Wow. How long will that last for?
    In the present situation long enough. Number of items ordered runs to many millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

moritz1234 wrote: »

Is it good or bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

RobertKK wrote: »
    No one is holidaying now. It is people returning home.

It is just people trying to get home. Chat with people in other countries, they are human, they have the same fears. One was telling me he hasn't left his home as he wants to look after his mother who is elderly and doesn't want her to get infected.
    People around the world in general are just concerned for their loved ones.

Flights are mostly goods now. People are afraid of flying with this virus on the loose. Just remember people in other countries are like us, same concerns, same criticisms, people worried about their jobs but most of all will all their loved ones still be around when this is all over.

I’m not suggesting anyone is left where there are. I understand some people have been caught out and want to come home.

For the benefit of the people they live with these people should be quarantined on arrival. Most will be moving in with families and will infect them if not in strict quarantine.

This is even more important for the person who wants to care for his elderly mother. If he is on a plane arriving from New York for example, he will be posing a significant risk to infecting her himself. This is an excellent example why quarantine is important. I’m not asking for people to be stopped but they need to be quarantined and tested. Currently I’m not aware of any measures for this to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Listened to it yesterday, excellent info.

Are you on PR?

Never were the words 'Horse' and 'bolted' more applicable!

Yes we need to do it now

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is it good or bad news.

Just good solid information based on their experience there. They know what they are doing due to experiences with SARS, MERS etc.

I have no doubt it is but for those who want to spend that time it is 36m of video.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Thats one mistake the government done so far. If it wasn't for NHI restricting visiting to homes early in March, it would be alot worse.

Yes well done to NHI.

I have no doubt it is but for those who want to spend that time it is 36m of video.

Well worth it, better to be more informed in an unprecedented situation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Really hard to guess what your point is from a single word. I know a number of people who are in or near the end of theirs. It's called social responsibility.

Many people will adhere to their 'social responsibilities' and many will not. This has been made patently clear in the last few weeks.

Just telling someone to do isolate is not a solution when compared to quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You stuck for time these days???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Strange to hear near total silence coming from the Naas Road this morning

The constant drone of traffic gone

So easy to flick a switch and turn off everything is in it.We were guided slowly into a lockdown , measures to deal with it as well as legislation that needs to be passed. The government might not be perfect but they brought us to this stage perfectly with minimum panic.

Not saying that anything unreasonable should be done. At this stage inward flights need to be quarantined. If we did that weeks ago we would have more time to prepare for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Honestly, first we have days of people giving out that there is no PPE, that we need more PPE, why aren't the government getting more PPE. Then we do and its, why are the government paying so much?

Well worth it, better to be more informed in an unprecedented situation like this.
    I'm sure it is but still no harm mentioning in posts just how long these things are so people can make their own calls. Personally would take 10000 words over a long video!

I'm sure it is but still no harm mentioning in posts just how long these things are so people can make their own calls. Personally would take 10000 words over a long video!

It's subtitled so you can read those away :D

Hrududu wrote: »
    Honestly, first we have days of people giving out that there is no PPE, that we need more PPE, why aren't the government getting more PPE. Then we do and its, why are the government paying so much?
    Here's the full order. It will take 60 flights to bring it all in. That too is part of the cost.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hse-coronavirus-tests-5054225-Mar2020/

Strange to hear near total silence coming from the Naas Road this morning

The constant drone of traffic gone

At least if I'm able to go back to work next week the commute will be handy.

It's subtitled so you can read those away :D
    Even at double speed waaaay too long! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rusty the athlete

The figures officially reported over the last 7 days and the percentage increase over the previous day look like this:

Number Total % change
    219 1,125 - 24.17%

204 1,329 - 18.13%

235 1,564 - 17.68%

255 1,819 - 16.30%

302 2,121 - 16.60%

294 2,415 - 13.86%

200 2,615 - 8.28%

The latest figure may show some sign of hope. It comes in roughly 14 days after the pubs and public events were shut. The 14 days seem significant as the epidemiologists appear to agree that this is the virus incubation period, although there was the mass exodus to the countryside during this period.

Lets hope in two weeks time when the latest restrictions have run for 14 days that there is a similar substantial reduction in the percentage increase stat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement