Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

Not in 1 week 2 weeks whatever, NOW!
    While most people are adhering to the health advice you cannot expect the gobshytes like those clowns packing beaches and parks to obey unless they are forced to.
    Shutdown NOW.

Anyone that agrees stick your name below.

CRINGE

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

my view has changed 365 degrees

https://unherd.com/thepost/nobel-prize-winning-scientist-the-covid-19-epidemic-was-never-exponential/
    world of metres paints a similar picture from country to country

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Technically we do not have an army. We have about half a division.
    We've a few lads that like to go for a pint and have a few paper guns between them

There's probably more wannabe GI Joes playing airsoft than there is actual soldiers in this country :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

https://unherd.com/thepost/nobel-prize-winning-scientist-the-covid-19-epidemic-was-never-exponential/

Watched it
    Incredibly clever guy

Two points

He is claiming that the % rise fell daily
    Based on test results
    We all know a lot of countries particularly Italy (who references a lot) struggled to test anywhere near enough people

His results largely ignore social distancing
    Seems a bit of a large elephant standing in the middle of the room

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stop spamming multiple threads with the same link. Choose one thread to discuss the point and stick to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

ELM327 wrote: »
    We've a few lads that like to go for a pint and have a few paper guns between them

There's probably more wannabe GI Joes playing airsoft than there is actual soldiers in this country :D:D

Whatever about airsoft players you can rest assured that we have some excellent soldiers in the Irish Defence Forces. They are well trained and in spite of the shameful neglect by successive Governments they are serving the state 24 7 365.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheep26

Not in 1 week 2 weeks whatever, NOW!
    While most people are adhering to the health advice you cannot expect the gobshytes like those clowns packing beaches and parks to obey unless they are forced to.
    Shutdown NOW.

Anyone that agrees stick your name below.

Yes lockdown for awhile would be helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hate to say this but we are a nation of” tossers “ this virus will shut us down and its going to happen very shortly because the morons in government have allowed it to happen ,no one held to account when people are not adhering to the rules , The Garda absolutely powerless , publicans breaking the law in every town in Ireland has one if not several has turned into Tapas bar or we will cling film a pint and call it a takeaway. THE LIST CAN GO ON but hopefully the people who think they are in fallible will be the ones to die,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Young are stupid and woke....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hate to say this but we are a nation of” tossers “ this virus will shut us down and its going to happen very shortly because the morons in government have allowed it to happen ,no one held to account when people are not adhering to the rules , The Garda absolutely powerless , publicans breaking the law in every town in Ireland has one if not several has turned into Tapas bar or we will cling film a pint and call it a takeaway. THE LIST CAN GO ON but hopefully the people who think they are in fallible will be the ones to die,

I don't know about others...but i was in town in Dublin the other day ....the crowds of American tourists didn't seem lower than normal. And no masks.

They can't be here for more than 2/3 weeks. There is zero self isolation going on.

We need to ban travellers from America. The govt is useless. Its not like they will consider it rude they have banned us for god's sake and we have fewer cases than them.

All those 'Irish Americans ' going on about their love for eire etc. Whilst potentially damaging us economically and endangering our lives. I think the truth is laid bare. They don't give a ****.

We have worked hard to try and lockdown ...i have been isolating for weeks. And all this ruined so yanks can have a holiday and go on about how they are much more Irish than the Irish are?? Gimmie a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I agree, don't get me wrong I love crowds, I'm an event junkie, I work 3 or 4 music festivals a year and I had planned to go to a few gigs as well, but this virus is still relatively new and I've applied my own brakes and have been trying to social distance as much as I can. If we have to step back to phase 2 so be it, until one of these vaccines have been tested thoroughly. I have a friend who got the swine flu jab in 2009 and now he suffers from narcolepsy and catalepsy, I had the same jab myself back then and luckily I didn't suffer these side effects, but the human race needs fecking paitence before we can get an all clear.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Dont think it needs that yet but probably should have gone further the other day. The likes of pubs and caffees should be shut altogether. Bad for them but still better for them in the long run. Then their should be no international travel really. Green lists and so on when people might be going foreign is too wreckless and not needed. Even if they just said no international travel until Spetember 10 or whatever that would at least give the best chance of low number, get schools open somehow, and be past the summer when so many people could take holidays. Then there many what wont be able to even if it was allowed. Cinemas and such should be closed down again too and shouldnt really have been opened. Compensate them and the like, or even if they have to go bust its probably for the best even though thats sad to say. For me no reason they should be open until at least next year. The benfit to the country for the risk they bring and the low numbers employed just isnt worth it. Its time to be sort of cruel and harsh now that restrictions that will target perticular sectors but that better than playing russian roulette with the whole country I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

elperello wrote: »
    Whatever about airsoft players you can rest assured that we have some excellent soldiers in the Irish Defence Forces. They are well trained and in spite of the shameful neglect by successive Governments they are serving the state 24 7 365.

Yes but we don't have an Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

24 7 365. Cutting the grass in the barracks.

No need for a lockdown again. Life needs to go on. People need to earn a living.

Curtain twitchers will cause more harm than covid

Yes but we don't have an Army.
    24 7 365. Cutting the grass in the barracks.

No need for a lockdown again. Life needs to go on. People need to earn a living.

Curtain twitchers will cause more harm than covid

Cheap shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dont think it needs that yet but probably should have gone further the other day. The likes of pubs and caffees should be shut altogether. Bad for them but still better for them in the long run.
    how do you think cafes being shut now will help them in the long run. I live in a tourist town we've already lost a couple of cafes which havent reopened. I suspect we will lose a lot of pubs and restaurants in September.

people who think that businesses can shut for long periods and survive are deluded.

Cheap shots.

We don't have an army. What's cheap about that?

We don't have an army. What's cheap about that?

https://www.military.ie/en/careers/army-careers/

You can join that non existent Army by following the link.

https://www.military.ie/en/careers/army-careers/

You can join that non existent Army by following the link.

We don't have a army. We have a defence force which contains a land element which amounts to half a division.
    An army consists of a force of two or more corps, each of which has 2 or more divisions. Two under strength brigades does not in army make!

We don't have a army. We have a defence force which contains a land element which amounts to half a division.
    An army consists of a force of two or more corps, each of which has 2 or more divisions. Two under strength brigades does not in army make!

https://www.military.ie/en/who-we-are/army/

Just as I thought, you used a cheap shot to denigrate our Army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thread title seriously needs an update for the sake of context.....

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

We probably can’t do it for as long as it takes.
    We will have to come out sometime.
    There is no cure at the moment and there doesn’t seem to be one soon.
    Without it the virus will come back.

So you can rant away but how long do you think it will take?

I have heard Covid 19 will be around for a while, mainly until a vaccine is found which could be next year but there is the production and then vaccinating the global population. So add a few more years to that.

All that can be done is mask/face covering and hand washing and deep cleaning surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

Its time to be sort of cruel and harsh now that restrictions that will target perticular sectors but that better than playing russian roulette with the whole country I think.

If it's better to be cruel and harsh then would it not be better to go the herd immunity route like GB and USA? That was cruel but will probably be the best long run solution until a vaccine is available (if it ever happens).

Not advocating that approach but if you're into tyranny then..

https://www.military.ie/en/who-we-are/army/

Just as I thought, you used a cheap shot to denigrate our Army.

We don't have an army, was my point. How can you denigrate what is not an army? We have what might be called an army element to a Defence Force. We should be realistic about what we have.

We don't have an army, was my point. How can you denigrate what is not an army? We have what might be called an army element to a Defence Force. We should be realistic about what we have.

My links prove we do have an Army.

I wish it was bigger and better resourced but it is an Army.

Way off thread topic, I'll leave it at that.

My links prove we do have an Army.

I wish it was bigger and better resourced but it is an Army.

Way off thread topic, I'll leave it at that.

Your links prove we don't have an army. How many divisions does it have?
    A field army (or numbered army or simply army) is a military formation in many armed forces, composed of two or more corps and may be subordinate to an army group.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Notmything

Your links prove we don't have an army. How many divisions does it have?
    A field army (or numbered army or simply army) is a military formation in many armed forces, composed of two or more corps and may be subordinate to an army group.

An army is the ground based component of a military force. There is no requirement to be above a specific size. Yes, in Ireland it is called a defence force. As you said yourself, we don't have a "field army".
    You're being pedantic with how you play with your words and trying to be a smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Thread title seriously needs an update for the sake of context.....

Why bother, there is going to be a need for another lockdown in November anyway what with all these muppets needing to get their arses tanned in Ibiza and Benidorm!

Notmything wrote: »
    An army is the ground based component of a military force. There is no requirement to be above a specific size. Yes, in Ireland it is called a defence force. As you said yourself, we don't have a "field army".
    You're being pedantic with how you play with your words and trying to be a smart arse.

I said initially that technically we don't have an army.
    We don't. We have a force which has 2 understrength brigades, about half a division. To be an army there needs to be at least 4 divisions and that is at the extreme lower end. Many armies would have 30 divisions.

What we have would be lost in a tot in the order of battle of a proper army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why bother, there is going to be a need for another lockdown in November anyway what with all these muppets needing to get their arses tanned in Ibiza and Benidorm!

Why would they go in October/November, much safer to head over now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement