Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Anybody receive their money back after going down the small claims court route?
    I'll probably go this way as AIB no help and Ryanair sent on the 'voucher' email yesterday.

Keep us updated please if ye get it/or not.
    Thks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Anybody receive their money back after going down the small claims court route?
    I'll probably go this way as AIB no help and Ryanair sent on the 'voucher' email yesterday.

Keep us updated please if ye get it/or not.
    Thks.

I got through to Ryanair. They have put me in the queue for refund.
    I dont actually believe they ever intend to refund me after their behaviour so far though.

I had already started chargeback, so going to let that continue.
    If that fails (there is no reason for it to fail unless the banks and regulator are in cahoots with Ryanair) then I will go the small claims court route.

Surely the courts cant be in cahoots with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I emailed my TD and SHane Ross about this. You should all do the same.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    I emailed my TD and SHane Ross about this. You should all do the same.

He started this sh1t.

Also wasnt ye the one who brought in the consumer protection for vouchers or who was that?

Bulsh1tter of the highest order.

Shower of absolute pr€icks. Tried to re apply the refund application.. Refused as one already under the reservation number.

AIB, just as bad. Will not defend their customer and start chargeback.

It's so frustrating dealing with these thieves I really have to step back now as it's not healthy.

The only thing for me in the near future is to re evaluate my relationship with both AIB and Ryanair.

I'm seriously thinking of cancelling all my accounts with AIB and with Ryanair, well, this has been a step too far for me.
    They know they have us over a barrel as we need someway of getting off this island for holidays. If I can avoid them at all then I will in the future...really lost all respect for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Hang on guys!
    I’m just an ageing plane spotter, I have no connection whatever with any airline but,
    All over Europe flights have been grounded, airlines are in trouble and they are looking to governments to help them financially, the demand for cash refunds will tip some of these airlines into bankruptcy..Maybe RYR is an exception here, but jobs will be lost and lives will be shattered, smaller businesses will get dragged down, we are in the middle of the Covid-19 emergency, times are not normal
    The EU Will probably ease the rules to help airlines, cause it’s cheaper than giving them money, so we may as well howl at the moon for all the good it will do

In an earlier post I asked about the expiry dates on these vouchers,
    I would like to see a longer expiry date, Aer Lingus seems to have got this right
    Most here are frequent fliers, I have 2 RYR cancellations and I would use the vouchers eventually,
    Many of the posters will still fly with Ryanair after this is over..so lighten up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It's clear from that that there is a strategy to encourage people to take vouchers, it is also clear that the rules likely be changed as quite a few of European countries Airlines are working on this basis.
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.
    I think if EU have option of insisting we take vouchers or the Governments have to bail-out Airlines.
    I really do think anyone who's work has being effected by Covid should get an immediate refund, these are people who saved up for holidays and now need the money for life.

This is capitalism folks. A company that has €3.8 Billion in cash reserves is effectively taking interest free loans from hard pressed families struggling to make ends meat. The same company that is expected to announce a €1 Billion profit for FY20 early next month.

Assuming vouchers become an EU wide standard, then at the very least these vouchers need to have a minimum of 5 years validity and not the 1 year from date of expected travel that Ryanair appear to be currently offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

IngazZagni wrote: »
    This is capitalism folks. A company that has €3.8 Billion in cash reserves is effectively taking interest free loans from hard pressed families struggling to make ends meat. The same company that is expected to announce a €1 Billion profit for FY20 early next month.

Assuming vouchers become an EU wide standard, then at the very least these vouchers need to have a minimum of 5 years validity and not the 1 year from date of expected travel that Ryanair appear to be currently offering.

This. ∆∆∆∆

• Advertisement

This I could accept and move on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

This is not after hours, comment removed

Sorry Mods - point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Mods, can we merge this with a similar thread running in the travel forum. Useful info in both

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I lashed in a complaint to aviation regulator. Sick of links that get nowhere especially after numerous emails promising a refund.

TheDriver wrote: »
    I lashed in a complaint to aviation regulator. Sick of links that get nowhere especially after numerous emails promising a refund.

Did you get the right address to send that to.
    Its AviationRegulator@ryanair.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

JimmyVik wrote: »

You fill in a detailed form on the regulator's site and attach all relevant paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

My small claims case has been reassigned to Swords district court i recieved an email on Monday late afternoon so just a waiting game now to see how things progress.

Anyone else who opened up a claim with them, how are things progressing?

Caranica wrote: »
    You fill in a detailed form on the regulator's site and attach all relevant paperwork.
    This is what I did. I went on AIB chargeback form and it says it can't do chargeback for the voucher lark so they've washed their hands of it. On Facebook they're saying it's because of govt regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

jonnny68 wrote: »
    My small claims case has been reassigned to Swords district court i recieved an email on Monday late afternoon so just a waiting game now to see how things progress.

Anyone else who opened up a claim with them, how are things progressing?

Waiting for response from airline 8 days gone 7 days to go!

Love the 15 calendar days limit!

JimmyVik wrote: »

Is this a real email for escalating issues at Ryanair?

Have you used it, any response from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

I would prefer cash, but I'm ok with vouchers as well. I know I'll be flying with them anyway, so they will be used. However, Air Baltic is offering voucher of flight plus 20 euro on top of it. I think that's the right way to do it.

This is what I did. I went on AIB chargeback form and it says it can't do chargeback for the voucher lark so they've washed their hands of it. On Facebook they're saying it's because of govt regulations.

govt regulations..... BS1t.

Chargeback has nothing to do with government regulations it's a process run by the credit card companies.

From VISA site:

"Chargebacks are not a legal right, but if you have paid on a Visa debit or credit card, you should address
    a chargeback claim to the bank that issued your card, and they can then put in a request to the retailer’s bank."

https://www.visa.co.uk/chargeback.html

johny33 wrote: »
    I would prefer cash, but I'm ok with vouchers as well. I know I'll be flying with them anyway, so they will be used. However, Air Baltic is offering voucher of flight plus 20 euro on top of it. I think that's the right way to do it.

I wouldn't mind a voucher but I don't trust Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would have no problem with a voucher if it was valid for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It depends what it was for really, if it was €20 cheapo return to Europe then a voucher isn't a massive inconvenience, but if you are into Ryanair or indeed another airline for say flights for a family of 5 to Alicante in the peak of the summer season you could well be owed 2,3,4k € for this and in these times of people losing jobs, being furloughed etc. that is a significant amount of money to be tied up in a voucher you may never be in a position to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

And need to be able to be used by anybody not just the original booker. I would like to be able togive the voucher to my daughter. But I can’t. I have started cash back with Avant- I’ll see how it goes andswitch to the scc if necessary. I believe the time limit is 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Got a call back from Avant. Won’t activate the chargeback until Ryanair return to work and refuse to refund.Said it still be ok to activate then as they had all mr details on recorrd.

I just don’t know, but the scc is backup ( hopefully they are not influenced by big businesses)

Surely this is going to cause a massive issue that Governments will have to push the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Surely this is going to cause a massive issue that Governments will have to push the issue.

Government will have to decide what’s better. Force Ryanair to pay all refunds and then bail them out using our (likely increased) taxes. Or else let them continue offering vouchers and keep the money they owe to people and hopefully they won’t require a bailout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

MadYaker wrote: »
    Government will have to decide what’s better. Force Ryanair to pay all refunds and then bail them out using our (likely increased) taxes. Or else let them continue offering vouchers and keep the money they owe to people and hopefully they won’t require a bailout.

There isn't much case for them needing a bail out. Massive cash reserves and they could raise capital if nessecary.

Advertisement