Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭paddy19

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Going down the road of chargeback now but one question.
    My Wife booked the fights so her name is the customer name with Ryanair but on my credit card, anyone ever have this situation?

You are the card holder so you are the one who makes the chargeback.
    It's the old story follow the money. If Ryanair ever give you a refund it will be to your card.

Unless you want to claim that your wife didn't have your authorisation....

.....wouldn't go there....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnYerPike

Micahel wants your interest free loan: 1. SC claims court. 2. Resolver. 3. Regulator

When I first read that I thought No. 2 said Revolver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I have 2 x Returns from 1 April and 2 x Returns from 29 April. All Ryanair.

I got the emails offering change of date or refund. I claimed refunds on both (one of them 3 weeks ago and 1 today). I got confirmations that my refunds would be processed as soon as possible and to bear with them. Nothing was mentioned abt vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

paddy19 wrote: »
    These folks will chatbot you forever.
    Michael likes the idea of an interest free loan from you where he gets to keep your money after 12 months.

What's not to like from his point of view.

Options:

1. Swords Small claims court, €25, all online. Airline must reply with 15 calendar days. It's a bit clunky but with a bit of patience it's fine.

2. Martin Lewis Resolver process free, they hustle for you.
    No idea how this will work with Ryanair.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/resolver/

3. Chargeback. Depends on your bank but watch the 120 day rule.

4. Regulator:

Who wants to wait for 4 to 6 weeks for Ryanair to give you a refund
    that is due within 7 days.

https://www.flightrights.ie/home/complaint-procedure.452.html

Im going to use the complaints section of Ryanair site to document the time and date that i was refused my refund. May need this later for the chargeback or regulator or courts.

Link here: https://contactform.ryanair.com/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

These folks will chatbot you forever.
    Michael likes the idea of an interest free loan from you where he gets to keep your money after 12 months.

What's not to like from his point of view.

Options:

1. Swords Small claims court, €25, all online. Airline must reply with 15 calendar days. It's a bit clunky but with a bit of patience it's fine.

2. Martin Lewis Resolver process free, they hustle for you.
    No idea how this will work with Ryanair.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/resolver/

3. Chargeback. Depends on your bank but watch the 120 day rule.

4. Regulator:

Who wants to wait for 4 to 6 weeks for Ryanair to give you a refund
    that is due within 7 days.

https://www.flightrights.ie/home/complaint-procedure.452.html

cheers mate,i think the small claims court might be the way to go here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I have filled in the complaint form tonight. I will give them to the end of April - if I haven't heard by then it'll be the small claims court.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I am sick of them and after over a month waiting since I filled in the refund option im ringing the credit card comp0any in the to start chargeback.

Im told i will have the chargeback money within 7 days and that the limit is not 120 days from the purchase but 120 days from the departure date of the flight.

So Im going to call and initiate chargeback tomorrow. Sick of this treatment from Ryanair. Ive two other return flights coming up too that were cancelled. I'll do the same on them as soon as the departure dates pass.

Noxegon wrote: »
    I have filled in the complaint form tonight. I will give them to the end of April - if I haven't heard by then it'll be the small claims court.

Ryanair have made their position clear they are not processing refunds until after Covid has abated.
    No doubt Michael O'Leary, that well known public health expert, will let us know when he decrees Covid-19 is over.

I'm pretty sure a complaint form is not going to change his position.

One of the nice features of the small claims process is that you don't have to lodge a complaint. You just need to make the refund request.

If Ryanair don't process the refund request within 7 days they have broken the law.

The courts hold that Michael O'Leary's Ryanair should obey the law the same as the rest of us.

What a refreshing simple idea, no lodging complaints, no waiting weeks for airlines, banks or regulators to decide if you should get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

What makes you think they will pay the judgement any quicker than they will process a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I would prefer not to spend €25 if I don't have to.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ryanair have made their position clear they are not processing refunds until after Covid has abated.
    No doubt Michael O'Leary, that well known public health expert, will let us know when he decrees Covid-19 is over.

I'm pretty sure a complaint form is not going to change his position.

One of the nice features of the small claims process is that you don't have to lodge a complaint. You just need to make the refund request.

If Ryanair don't process the refund request within 7 days they have broken the law.

The courts hold that Michael O'Leary's Ryanair should obey the law the same as the rest of us.

What a refreshing simple idea, no lodging complaints, no waiting weeks for airlines, banks or regulators to decide if you should get your money back.

How long did the whole process take for you to get your money back?

vandriver wrote: »
    What makes you think they will pay the judgement any quicker than they will process a refund?

Even Michael O'Leary is not above the law!

Ryanair don't have to pay a judgement, they can simply pay the refund.

If Ryanair don't refund they have to have employ legal representation. We all know lawyers don't come cheap.

Chargeback and the regulator take weeks before anything happens.

Small Claims are actioned in calender days.

The only disadvantage, I can see is the €25, which paradoxically is not great for smaller claims!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Even Michael O'Leary is not above the law!

Ryanair don't have to pay a judgement, they can simply pay the refund.

If Ryanair don't refund they have to have employ legal representation. We all know lawyers don't come cheap.

Chargeback and the regulator take weeks before anything happens.

Small Claims are actioned in calender days.

The only disadvantage, I can see is the €25, which paradoxically is not great for smaller claims!

Do you have proof the small claims court will act any faster than a chargeback?

How long did the whole process take for you to get your money back?

I have used it in the past and it took about 25 days.
    Obviously different times.

Present claim.
    Day 1 I created account and submitted claim.
    Day 2 Court verified claim and €25 fee requested.
    Day 2 I paid the fee.
    Day 2 Court issued claim to airline.

15 calendar day clock is ticking for airline response by 30 April.

Will keep you updated!

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/F9B49A71A85F662C802580B100635032?opendocument&l=en

Do you have proof the small claims court will act any faster than a chargeback?

I have no idea and neither does anybody else on how long a chargeback or small claim will take. Both are dependent on Ryanair.

But let's comapare the time limits in both:

Small claims accept and serve claims on the airline immediately. In my case on the day that I paid the fee.

Chargeback will make you wait 30 calendar days before they will even look at your claim.

Small claims require a response from Ryanair within 15 calendar days.

There are no time limits on a chargeback response from Ryanair.

Obviously there are no guarantees in life but small claims looks a much more responsive process than the bankers open ended gambit.

Small claims has the force of law, chargeback is totally dependent on the bankers and Ryanair.

As always your choice, bankers and Ryanair good will or a court judgement!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have used it in the past and it took about 25 days.
    Obviously different times.

Present claim.
    Day 1 I created account and submitted claim.
    Day 2 Court verified claim and €25 fee requested.
    Day 2 I paid the fee.
    Day 2 Court issued claim to airline.

15 calendar day clock is ticking for airline response by 30 April.

Will keep you updated!

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/F9B49A71A85F662C802580B100635032?opendocument&l=en

So going on your past experience, after the airline responds do they pay up quickly?

And what if they don't respond?

So going on your past experience, after the airline responds do they pay up quickly?

And what if they don't respond?

It was good while back, I got a cheque in 2/3 days.

I was tempted to frame it!

"The respondent does not reply to the claim

The respondent has 15 calendar days to reply to the claim. Where there is no reply by the respondent, they are then held to have admitted the claim.

...... Apply for and get decree.

The Registrar will notify the respondent of the judgement. The respondent has 28 calendar days to comply with the judgement."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I got the first email this morning (more to follow). I want the cash and am prepared to wait. What I want to know is how do I go about getting it? There's no link on the email to send me in the direction of getting the cash back.

From the email.........

Can I receive a cash refund instead of voucher?

You can request a cash refund however bear in mind we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the COVID-19 emergency has passed.

We highly recommend using the refund voucher as these are readily available and you can book flights on all Ryanair Group airlines in over 200 destinations in Europe and the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I got the first email this morning (more to follow). I want the cash and am prepared to wait. What I want to know is how do I go about getting it? There's no link on the email to send me in the direction of getting the cash back.

From the email.........

Can I receive a cash refund instead of voucher?

You can request a cash refund however bear in mind we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the COVID-19 emergency has passed.

We highly recommend using the refund voucher as these are readily available and you can book flights on all Ryanair Group airlines in over 200 destinations in Europe and the Middle East.

the ling for the form is not in the email

i had to go on their Fb page and google to find it.

follow this
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/disruptions-and-refunds/disruptions/flight-cancellations

and go to full refund.

for me they canceled one of my trips , but returns are still showing as active for the same trip. I had to buy the flight separately as I didn't know the return date at the time, and now I am wondering if I will get my money back for those flight, as they are not canceled but have no worth to me of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

If Ryanair don't comply with a court order, does that mean that theoretically a sheriff can start taking assets?

I love the idea of a sheriff trying to impound one of their aircraft based on a fieri facias.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

troyzer wrote: »
    If Ryanair don't comply with a court order, does that mean that theoretically a sheriff can start taking assets?

I love the idea of a sheriff trying to impound one of their aircraft based on a fieri facias.

Technically yes but it will never happen.

These are not normal times so they'll be allowed to take longer (regulator is useless at the best of times).

How nice of them to suggest a voucher to get the issue resolved instead of waiting for cash - people should stick to their guns (for cash).

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Do the new rules on vouchers (they cannot have an expiry date) not apply to Ryanair vouchers?
    I would be happy to accept one if it were not for the expiry date..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Bebop wrote: »
    Do the new rules on vouchers (they cannot have an expiry date) not apply to Ryanair vouchers?

Those rules are for gift vouchers. The Ryanair vouchers are not gift vouchers so no.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

follow this
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/disruptions-and-refunds/disruptions/flight-cancellations

and go to full refund.

for me they canceled one of my trips , but returns are still showing as active for the same trip. I had to buy the flight separately as I didn't know the return date at the time, and now I am wondering if I will get my money back for those flight, as they are not canceled but have no worth to me of course.

For me, since I originally requested a refund when they cancelled my flight that link brings me to the MyRyanair which shows no upcoming flights at all. I search under my email and reservation number, they tell me it doesn't exist.

Bebop wrote: »

It's not clear.
    Aer Lingus seem to think it does because they are giving 5 year expiry dates and freedom to change names.

This could be a real interesting court case if the regular could be bothered.

follow this

and go to full refund.

From the Ryanair web page above.

"Full Refund
    If you wish to claim a full refund for the cancelled flight, click on the link below, to log into your MyRyanair account and follow the steps for a refund.

Refunds will be processed, within 7 working days, back to the form of payment used for the original booking."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Being mentioned shortly on Sean O'Rourke this am on RTE Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Comhra wrote: »
    Being mentioned shortly on Sean O'Rourke this am on RTE Radio 1.

It's clear from that that there is a strategy to encourage people to take vouchers, it is also clear that the rules likely be changed as quite a few of European countries Airlines are working on this basis.
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.
    I think if EU have option of insisting we take vouchers or the Governments have to bail-out Airlines.
    I really do think anyone who's work has being effected by Covid should get an immediate refund, these are people who saved up for holidays and now need the money for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

really do think anyone who's work has being effected by Covid should get an immediate refund, these are people who saved up for holidays and now need the money for life.

I agree if someone's personal circumstances have massively changed due to COVID and they had €10k paid for a dream family holiday to Disneyland Florida, they should be refunded asap in full, its not the sort of money that can be tied up indefinitely in some pie in the sky voucher scheme when you have bills, mortgages and all the usual running costs of life to pay!

Advertisement