Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

john boye wrote: »
    Father in law applied for the refund a few weeks ago but got the "take a voucher" mail today. Does he have to apply for the refund again or should he just sit tight? He says there's no obvious way to apply again.

I am courious to know the wording of "take a voucher" as i do not think we are at the stage the Airlines can say that.
    I would send a nice reply to the email explaining that at this time the voucher not an option.

Personally i think the Airlines are trying to persuade customers to leave the money in with them, if enough people accept this i expect whoever left will get a refund when things settle.
    In a way i understand where they are at as even though the contracts says a refund they and us do not want Airlines go under.
    I am sorry for some people as i seen on here people who's employment has being effected with large amounts of money invested with Airlines/Hotels for family holidays.
    I think these people should get refunds in the normal way and if i have to take a hit i will live with it.
    BTW i am a tyrant when it comes to these things (ie cashback) and have went to war with Lingus and EasyJet won Lingus list EasyJet.
    I also got considerable compensation Air France without war..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

I have Shannon-Alicante on 16-30 May. No emails yet. But my father in law has already rerouted his Kerry to Alicante flight (17th May) - they emailed him a month ago. A matter of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Fattes wrote: »
    Print the refund email, & the voucher offer email. Walk into your bank, and request a chargeback form, return with the copy of the emails and the bank will refund it to your card in 7-14 days. Problem solved

Will work with AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

The refund page knows the refund request was already submitted and won't let you submit it again.
    Go to chatbot and say you want to talk to a real person or service agent and wait until they eventually get around to you. It could be an hour or more.

So the original refund application is now null and void so he has to talk to a service agent to get it back submitted? He's social isolating on his own and not very tech savvy so this will be fun to explain to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

john boye wrote: »
    So the original refund application is now null and void so he has to talk to a service agent to get it back submitted? He's social isolating on his own and not very tech savvy so this will be fun to explain to him!

You only have to make a refund application once.
    Ryanair can't just cancel it.

Ryanair are playing games, they want passengers to think that it is dead but it very much alive.

You have made a legally binding refund request per good old EU261.

Ryanair are legally obliged to pay your request within 7 days.
    Of course Michael O'Leary thinks he is a above the law and
    the regulator, CAR, has accepted his lame excuse that he can't get computers to pay refunds automatically.
    Ryanair labs with 300 software engineers mustn't be up to much!

Now getting Ryanair to pay up is the next step.

I have a guide to the 4 options in this post.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

What’s to prevent Ryanair from saying “we have always agreed to pay a refund but it is currently in a queue and it’s anticipated this will be paid in 2021”?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

IngazZagni wrote: »
    What’s to prevent Ryanair from saying “we have always agreed to pay a refund but it is currently in a queue and it’s anticipated this will be paid in 2021”?

The fact that it's unlawful. But in my experience Ryanair break laws all the time and unfortunately have not yet had their licence revoked or O'Leary jailed as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Risteard81 wrote: »
    The fact that it's unlawful. But in my experience Ryanair break laws all the time and unfortunately have not yet had their licence revoked or O'Leary jailed as a result.

Well this is the point. They have already broken the EU261 law on over a million occasions so far. I’d be interested to hear anyone going down the Swords court route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Well this is the point. They have already broken the EU261 law on over a million occasions so far. I’d be interested to hear anyone going down the Swords court route.

It's grossly unjust that the fee for filing the case isn't awarded against Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

applied for a refund for 2 out of 5 flights with R that were canceled (still waiting for other 3 to be canceled) only to receive an email saying I am getting a voucher, and to contact them if I want a refund.

I am on a chat now, which has no queue number or time that will take for someone to respond.

Has anyone been able to get them on chat? I don't have time to sit on the phone for hours and wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

applied for a refund for 2 out of 5 flights with R that were canceled (still waiting for other 3 to be canceled) only to receive an email saying I am getting a voucher, and to contact them if I want a refund.

I am on a chat now, which has no queue number or time that will take for someone to respond.

Has anyone been able to get them on chat? I don't have time to sit on the phone for hours and wait.

On a Sunday morning?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The refund page knows the refund request was already submitted and won't let you submit it again.
    Go to chatbot and say you want to talk to a real person or service agent and wait until they eventually get around to you. It could be an hour or more.

I did the above via Messenger on Facebook, its purely automated. I just took screenshots. The email about voucher sends you to the website and the form again to resubmit the form but it doesn't recognise the reservation.

No doubt many will give up and not chase a way down for a refund

yankinlk wrote: »
    On a Sunday morning?

Live chat is open at the following times:
    Mon-Fri 06:00 - 21:00 GMT
    Sat 08:00 -18:00 GMT
    Sun 09:00 - 18:00 GMT.

this is whats written on the chat window.

applied for a refund for 2 out of 5 flights with R that were cancelled (still waiting for other 3 to be cancelled) only to receive an email saying I am getting a voucher, and to contact them if I want a refund.

Why are you trying to talk to Ryanair? They have made their illegal position clear!

In fairness to Ryanair, I use this phrase advisedly, they have their position up on their website.

"You can request a cash refund however bear in mind we will place your request
    in the cash refund queue until the COVID-19 emergency has passed."
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

Michael O'Leary, that well known public health expert, will decide when Covid has passed.
    Then and only then have you even the remotest chance of getting your money.
    Highly likely that MOL will then come up with a new BS excuse!
    The lame duck CAR regulator will nod at more illegal activity!

The other airlines are making promises of refunds that they have no intention of keeping.

There is not point in talking to them. No operator in a call centre is going to override MOL!

You only have to make a refund request once.
    If you want you cash now you need to look the 4 options.

paddy19 wrote: »
    Why are you trying to talk to Ryanair? They have made their illegal position clear!

In fairness to Ryanair, I use this phrase advisedly, they have their position up on their website.

"You can request a cash refund however bear in mind we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the COVID-19 emergency has passed."
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

Michael O'Leary, that well known public health expert, will decide when Covid has passed.
    Then and only then have you even the remotest chance of getting your money.
    Highly likely that MOL will come up with a new BS excuse!

The other airlines are making promises of refunds that they have no intention of keeping.

There is not point in talking to them. No operator in a call centre is going to override MOL!

You only have to make a refund request once.
    If you want you cash now you need to look the 4 options.

madness

I've already submitted my request for a refund, so I presume reading above posts I am unable to do it again.
    I wouldn't even mind the voucher if it had longer expiry date and if I didn't have 6 flights with them, that's a lot of money to keep in vouchers.

For my summer vacation flights to no less then Italy I have insurance so I can get those back, but for other ones I will check the 4 options and see what to do. But I can see the first 2 are a no go.

thank for linking them to me

madness

I've already submitted my request for a refund, so I presume reading above posts I am unable to do it again.
    I wouldn't even mind the voucher if it had longer expiry date and if I didn't have 6 flights with them, that's a lot of money to keep in vouchers.

I feel your pain!

You only need to request the refund once.
    If Ryanair loose it, it's not your problem.

You are legally entitled to your money back.
    This should happen automatically.
    Think TicketMaster and cancelled concerts.

I'd strongly recommend either the CAR or SCC,
    chargeback and insurance are just variations on the Ryanair weave and dodge model.

If you don't move fast Heather and Shane will have you waiting 12 months!

I feel your pain!

You only need to request the refund once.
    If Ryanair loose it, it's not your problem.

You are legally entitled to your money back.
    This should happen automatically.
    Think TicketMaster and cancelled concerts.

I'd strongly recommend either the CAR or SCC,
    chargeback and insurance are just variations on the Ryanair weave and dodge model.

If you don't move fast Heather and Shane will have you waiting 12 months!
    don't start me with ticket master

sold my tickets for Killers as I was unable to go at those dates (baby brain, booked holls on the dates of the concert) and their policy is that I will only get my money once those ticket are used by whoever both them off of me through their site.
    Now that concert is postponed for the same time next year. Now I can go but don't have the tickets or my money for a year :(

They should have had the option to ether keep the tickets or get your money back, as who know where will everyone be in a year.

sorry for off topic

don't start me with ticket master

sold my tickets for Killers as I was unable to go at those dates (baby brain, booked holls on the dates of the concert) and their policy is that I will only get my money once those ticket are used by whoever both them off of me through their site.
    Now that concert is postponed for the same time next year. Now I can go but don't have the tickets or my money for a year :(

They should have had the option to ether keep the tickets or get your money back, as who know where will everyone be in a year.

sorry for off topic

Michael O'Leary fix it up.... Sorry couldn't resist, i am mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Independent reporting this morning that refunds will take 3 months to process

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

...'For my summer vacation flights to no less then Italy I have insurance so I can get those back'......

I wouldn't be so sure about that.Read the small print.

• Advertisement

Independent reporting this morning that refunds will take 3 months to process

3 months..... more waffle from Michael O'Leary.

Web site still says you won't get your refund until MOL has decided that "Covid has passed".

Why 3 months.....

Short enough to sound reasonable and far enough away to hope people will forget.

Also the chance that Shane Ross/Heather Humphreys will make Ryanair vouchers mandatory.

If you need cash you need to take action...

Alternatively you can take Michael's word.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Web site still says you won't get your refund until MOL has decided that "Covid has passed".

Why 3 months.....

Short enough to sound reasonable and far enough away to hope people will forget.

Also the chance that Shane Ross/Heather Humphreys will make Ryanair vouchers mandatory.

We are being told by our ‘experts’ than Covid-19 will always be around, it will never be eliminated entirely. So what MOL is really saying is that you ain’t getting your money back, ever. ‘You can take a voucher or p1ss off’.

Why 3 months.....

Just take the advise you were telling everyone do and use SCC.
    Sure as you said Ryanair will not contest so you sorted for €25.
    If you need witness i be available, for a fee naturally

They say you can please...

"some people some of the time but you cannot please all people all of the time"

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Has anyone got any joy off chat? I opened chat at 09:30 this morning, it is now 17:30, so 8 hours, and I still haven't talked to anyone.

Has anyone got any joy off chat? I opened chat at 09:30 this morning, it is now 17:30, so 8 hours, and I still haven't talked to anyone.

Why are waiting for response on chat?
    I am not trying to be smart, just curious.

Defo no point in taking about refunds or cancellations.

You will not get a refund until MOL says Covid has passed.
    That doesn't sound like anytime soon to me.

No poor operator on Chat is going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Why are waiting for response on chat?
    I am not trying to be smart, just curious.

Defo no point in taking about refunds or cancellations.

You will not get a refund until MOL says Covid has passed.
    That doesn't sound like anytime soon to me.

No poor operator on Chat is going to change that.

I'm wondering myself. That's when they are going to process them, you need to sign up for getting the refund right?

from the email:
    If you do not wish to accept this voucher option and wish to move your flight or request a refund, please click here to contact us. Please note that as our customer care agents are required to work from home to limit the spread of COVID-19 virus, payment security restrictions prevent us from processing refunds as quickly as we would like to.

I'm wondering myself. That's when they are going to process them, you need to sign up for getting the refund right?
    from the email:

You do need to request a refund.

You do not need to phone a call centre.
    You do not need to engage in Chat.

Try the refund page. https://eu261compensationclaims.ryanair.com/
    Keep screenshots as evidence.

If you have any problems, fear not, there is a simpler process.

Get out your finest quill and send a letter by old fashioned snail mail.

To: Refund Department.
    Ryanair DAC
    Ryanair Dublin Office
    Airside Business Park
    Swords
    Co Dublin

Booking number:
    All passengers names exactly as on booking:
    Total amount exactly to the cent as on the booking.

I am requesting a full refund under EU261 Article 8 1 (A) flight cancellation to
    my card used for the original booking, within 7 days.

Refund to include all passenger named and all flights on this booking.

Date, your name and address and signature:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Every airline is doing their utmost to avoid paying refunds and offer vouchers instead including Aer Lingus and BA.

Yet this Ryanair thread has 24 pages (mostly hysterical) so far. There is no Aer Lingus one and only a small BA.

We are all entitled to refunds but this confirms my belief that those who pay the lowest fares make the biggest fuss when things go wrong.

I have two Ryanair trips cancelled but haven't made a decision yet. I'm favouring vouchers at the moment. I certainly will book other flights with them even if the refunds never come through - not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. They've saved me a small fortune over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Every airline is doing their utmost to avoid paying refunds and offer vouchers instead including Aer Lingus and BA.

Yet this Ryanair thread has 24 pages (mostly hysterical) so far. There is no Aer Lingus one and only a small BA.

We are all entitled to refunds but this confirms my belief that those who pay the lowest fares make the biggest fuss when things go wrong.

I have two Ryanair trips cancelled but haven't made a decision yet. I'm favouring vouchers at the moment. I certainly will book other flights with them even if the refunds never come through - not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. They've saved me a small fortune over the years.

Horses for courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Mebuntu wrote: »
    We are all entitled to refunds but this confirms my belief that those who pay the lowest fares make the biggest fuss when things go wrong..

Nail on the head, society today is ME, ME, ME.

An airline like Ryanair is dealing with unprecedented levels of disruption yet these individuals clearly with a lot of time on their hands, demand refunds in 7 days - That EU reg is based on a small level of disruption. Not the rolling closure of services since early March. The industry regulators have stated the same.

If you are seeking a refund, you will get it, not within 7 days, so be patient.

Advertisement