Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Is EU261 even valid in these circumstances though? It would be considered extraordinary circumstances and not apply. Also if a flight is cancelled more than 2 weeks before the flight date then EU261 also doesn't apply.

All of that should be separate from your right to claim a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Is EU261 even valid in these circumstances though? It would be considered extraordinary circumstances and not apply. Also if a flight is cancelled more than 2 weeks before the flight date then EU261 also doesn't apply.

All of that should be separate from your right to claim a refund.

EU261 is famous for compensation and this causes a lot of confusion.

"Extraordinary circumstances"only applies to compensation it has no relevance to refunds for cancellations.

EU261 requires an airline to process a flight cancellation requested cash refund within 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I contacted Ryanair chatbot today for update on refund request I applied for on 20/3, it should've been processed 31/3 & when I contacted 4/4 chatbot said they'd a delay due to Covid-19. I'd not heard anything back, despite Conor Pope's article posted previously in the thread. Chatbot (Grego) said cash refunds wouldn't be processed until Covid crisis has abated.

This is understandable, and I'm happy that they'd not offered a voucher in the chat, I'd say they've been told to hold fire until government makes a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Hi. Just wondering, if you accept a voucher from Ryanair, do you have to use it on the same route you were originally due to travel? Thanks

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I contacted Ryanair chatbot today for update on refund request I applied for on 20/3, it should've been processed 31/3 & when I contacted 4/4 chatbot said they'd a delay due to Covid-19. I'd not heard anything back, despite Conor Pope's article posted previously in the thread. Chatbot (Grego) said cash refunds wouldn't be processed until Covid crisis has abated.

This is understandable, and I'm happy that they'd not offered a voucher in the chat, I'd say they've been told to hold fire until government makes a decision.

This in my view is neither understandable or acceptable.
    The law is clear Ryanair should refund you within 7 days.
    One of the car hire companies refunds within 24 hours.
    The refund process should be automated.
    You complete a refund request form they refund you. Rocket science it ain't!

Ryanair are illegally holding onto to your money as an interest free loan.

The government have no decision here. Thank God!
    EU261 is a regulation with direct effect, meaning you can sue for your money in the Swords District Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

I wonder at what point exactly Ryanair will decide that the pandemic has "abated". I suspect people could be waiting a long time even after things get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

paddy19 wrote: »

EU261 is a regulation with direct effect, meaning you can sue for your money in the Swords District Court.

So my holiday was cancelled.
    Im waiting 30 days to be refunded so far from Ryanair and nothing but a couple of automated mails from them.

Car hire company refunded me in 24 hours.
    Accommodation was refunded within 72 hours.
    Tickets for other stuff were all refunded within a week.

john boye wrote: »
    I wonder at what point exactly Ryanair will decide that the pandemic has "abated". I suspect people could be waiting a long time even after things get back to normal.

Michael will meditate on it and discuss it with the other elders in Ryanair and come to a Solomon like judgement on when the pandemic has abated.

So no worries.....

In the meantime Ryanair are in breach of EU261 which requires cash refund within 7 days of a request.

Isn't it wonderful the way large companies can just break the law with impunity.

Where is the regulator?

I always like the way judges in the states could fine a company $100,000 a day until they complied.

Bet Michael would have refunds out the door in 24 hours if he had that motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

They have about 20 million flight to refund

"They have about 20 million flight to refund."

So why don't they automate the process instead of playing silly games with re-booking, crappy vouchers and bogus excuses for breaking the law.

Computers are wonderful at this stuff, you don't need operators intervening in each booking to try to find some excuse for not refunding.

300 hot shot software engineers in Ryanair Labs and refunds are still manual is ridiculous.

If MOL was charged a grand per booking for every day he was over the 7 day refund limit, he'd have it done in jig time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Comhrá

They have about 20 million flight to refund

Small potatoes for a company with FR's cash balance I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Got an email saying my flight had been cancelled and to click the link to apply for me refund, which I did. Dead simple... Am i missing something? What are ye all moaning about??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Got an email saying my flight had been cancelled and to click the link to apply for me refund, which I did. Dead simple... Am i missing something? What are ye all moaning about??

I got the same link over 28 days ago but still havnt received the actual refund.

Enjoy the wait.

ASOT wrote: »
    I got the same link over 28 days ago but still havnt received the actual refund.

Enjoy the wait.

Supposed to be 7 days max... but sure it's only the law.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Time for some posters to move on, the needle has got stuck in the same place on the record, and it's getting boring.

If you don't move on, then sanctions to change that will follow

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Fair dues to Ryanair at least they are showing cancellations to the end of April.

They are also offering a choice of Rebook and Refund button.

Aer Lingus in contrast are not showing cancellations on the 3 day flight status page. They also showing flights as "sold out" on the booking page. These flights were cancelled not sold out.

Very strange that they simply don't show the flights as cancelled like Ryanair.

This means technically you can't apply for insurance unless you have an email, as EI have not officially cancelled the flight. I think you can still use the request refund page but I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

I'm pretty sure it's his PayPal account that will be refunded rather than his card. Ryanair wouldn't have any of his card details. PayPal then send the refund the card currently registered on his account.
    sorry to piggy back on your response. But any ideas how I should proceed where I paid with a debit card that is now expired (I have anew one) and requesting refund.

Is there a way or do I need to contact them?

thank

Fair dues to Ryanair at least they are showing cancellations to the end of April.

Aer Lingus in contrast are not showing cancellations on the 3 day flight status page. They also showing flights as "sold out" on the booking page. These flights were cancelled not sold out.

This means technically you can't apply for insurance unless you have an email, as EI have not officially cancelled the flight. I think you can still use the request refund page but I don't know.
    and when I try to check in for my flight to Budapest this Sunday on Aer lingus it says check in will open on Saturday bla bla....where usually you can do early check in if you pay.

When you check arrivals/departures no one is flying to Budapest for weeks now and when I ask them on chat is my flight still proceeding they sad

"Hi, at this time the flight is scheduled to operate however all flights are under review at this time. If there is a change to the booking you'll be notified."

They are being very sneaky in getting people to take the vouchers or residual.

and when I try to check in for my flight to Budapest this Sunday on Aer lingus it says check in will open on Saturday bla bla....where usually you can do early check in if you pay.

When you check arrivals/departures no one is flying to Budapest for weeks now and when I ask them on chat is my flight still proceeding they sad

"Hi, at this time the flight is scheduled to operate however all flights are under review at this time. If there is a change to the booking you'll be notified."

They are being very sneaky in getting people to take the vouchers or residual.

Got an email advising me my flight is canceled.
    They offer voucher or change of flight with no fee.

And a link to advise you of your rights under Regulation (EC) 261/2004.

no where in the email can you find a ling for a refund form. I found it on their FB page where people were angry and asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Is that you Mr O'Leary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Has anyone actually got a refund or heard of anyone who got one??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

danmci wrote: »

I'd like to know this as well. My '28 day' period is up this Saturday so I'll be looking for advice on the best approach soon if they don't pay up.

Got 2 on the early batches back in March, but still awaiting 5 from FR, 1 from easyjet and one from Wizz.

Is that you Mr O'Leary?

Defo not Michael here, I think if you check my posts you'll see that Michael would be none too pleased with my utterances about him and his beloved Ryanair!

Thespoofer wrote: »
    I'd like to know this as well. My '28 day' period is up this Saturday so I'll be looking for advice on the best approach soon if they don't pay up.

1. Regulator is free and your claim will be logged. No data on how fast they move.

2. Chargeback. Different banks have different rules. VISA says: While there is no guarantee that your bank that issued your card will be able to recover the money through chargeback, they will assess your claim fairly.

Both of these are probably going to tell you wait some more time, backlog, unprecedented and all that waffle.

3. Swords small claims district court (for Ryanair and Air Lingus). Max €2,000
    This is all online and costs €25, no need for you to appear or have a solicitor.
    You need to register which is just your details.
    You just give the flight details and how much it cost and say the flight was cancelled.

I've gone this route and it has been straight forward so far.
    The site is a bit clunky and not too intuitive but if you take it slowly you should be fine. They check your claim is valid before you pay the €25.

They don't hang around, approval next day and they lodged the claim with Aer Lingus the same day I paid. The Airline has 15 calendar days to reply.

You'll also have the joy of seeing Your Name V Aer Lingus Limited.

The advantage here is that airline will normally agree to pay immediately, cancellation is obviously straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

1. Regulator is free and your claim will be logged. No data on how fast they move.

2. Chargeback. Different banks have different rules. VISA says: While there is no guarantee that your bank that issued your card will be able to recover the money through chargeback, they will assess your claim fairly.

Both of these are probably going to tell you wait some more time, backlog, unprecedented and all that waffle.

3. Swords small claims district court (for Ryanair and Air Lingus). Max €2,000
    This is all online and costs €25, no need for you to appear or have a solicitor.
    You need to register which is just your details.
    You just give the flight details and how much it cost and say the flight was cancelled.

I've gone this route and it has been straight forward so far.
    The site is a bit clunky and not too intuitive but if you take it slowly you should be fine. They check your claim is valid before you pay the €25.

They don't hang around, approval next day and they lodged the claim with Aer Lingus the same day I paid. The Airline has 15 calendar days to reply.

You'll also have the joy of seeing Your Name V Aer Lingus Limited.

The advantage here is that airline will normally agree to pay immediately, cancellation is obviously straight forward.

Can't ask for anymore than that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are Ryanair allowing you use the voucher for a different destination or does it have to be the same as what you originally booked?

Slightly off topic, but has anyones future bookings disappeared from their MyRyanair profile? I've about 12 future bookings and they aren't on the app or my profile on the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are Ryanair allowing you use the voucher for a different destination or does it have to be the same as what you originally booked?

Dont take vouchers. If you take cash and decide to fly again with that airline you can use that cash easier than a voucher for a start. But if you wanted to fly with a different airline, you are snookered. There will be lots of small print im sure too. Take the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can someone be specific as to what the small print regarding potential Ryanair vouchers are?

I have used Ryanair gift vouchers before and they were a much less painful experience than the Aer Lingus offering. They operated more or less like credit. Would 'refund vouchers' not be the same?

Advertisement