Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭druss

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Kind of annoying for me in that I would jump in the car and drive to remote hills and other spots (beach) and do my sessions there. There are no hills within 2km radius of where I live. Ironically, I'll now be running in a more crowded spot as the local park is now the only place to do a session.

Swap ya! I live on top of a hill, but have a series of speed sessions coming up that I can't see anyway of doing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Kind of annoying for me in that I would jump in the car and drive to remote hills and other spots (beach) and do my sessions there. There are no hills within 2km radius of where I live. Ironically, I'll now be running in a more crowded spot as the local park is now the only place to do a session.

You don't have to run. If it's a choice between a crowded park or staying at home stay at home. Do circuit training instead or weights if you have them. If neither rest for 2 weeks.

druss wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's "-brief physical exercise within 2km of home".

Open to interpretation, i suppose. My long run is for half marathon training, so it would be considered brief by someone doing ultra stuff. Right? :)

There aren't going to be any marathons for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

The brief part is tricky. Under an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Usually take the dogs out from a run at the weekends and drive about 6km outside the town.

Usually meet a handful of people.

Mapped a run around where I live.... a 3 mile loop. Better get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭druss

There aren't going to be any marathons for a long time.

I'm aware of that. I'm being somewhat flippant while pointing out that "brief" will have different meanings for different people.

For me, it doesn't really matter. I'll miss my long run, but will get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Run at 7am and it won't be crowded. Park right beside me , using it most mornings at 7am

LaHaine wrote: »

Who be timing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Question is, can you bring yourself to hit "Discard Activity" on your Garmin when you see the Gardaí coming your way ;)

Stark wrote: »
    Question is, can you bring yourself to hit "Discard Activity" on your Garmin when you see the Gardaí coming your way ;)

Gardai wont have the powers to do anything tomorrow and in fairness wont have the man power.

Cant drive in the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yeah running local loop grand. But gardaí nod on first sight. Dozens of laps and an hour later the pass again. Then what...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Stravas be going into incognito mode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Can we not just observe the guidance rather than trying to beat it? :confused: If I can observe rules around bandit runs, bib transfer and racing with earphones, surely I can run within a 2k radius of home for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Our training ground is closed so up and down the road outside my house , sigh

Murph_D wrote: »
    Can we not just observe the guidance rather than trying to beat it? :confused: If I can observe rules around bandit runs, bib transfer and racing with earphones, surely I can run within a 2k radius of home for two weeks.

The furtherest part of the park is 1.5k from my house so will observe the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Suck it up people. We're being asked to follow guidelines. Being allowed out atall is an absolute blessing given what's happening in other countries. Be thankful, find a 2k loop (which by the way could be a massive amount of ground depending on where you live) and stick to it for a few weeks.

As for the whole walkers vs runners debate, we're in a time where we need to be all a bit more patient and respectful with eachother. Yes some people feel uncomfortable seeing a heavy breathing runner coming near them. If you're a runner you should make a point of keeping your distance. If that involves jumping onto long lumpy grass then so be it. If it means stopping for a second to let someone pass then do it.

We can all do with maybe being a little kinder to each other in very stressful times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Suck it up people. We're being asked to follow guidelines. Being allowed out atall is an absolute blessing given what's happening in other countries. Be thankful, find a 2k loop (which by the way could be a massive amount of ground depending on where you live) and stick to it for a few weeks.

As for the whole walkers vs runners debate, we're in a time where we need to be all a bit more patient and respectful with eachother. Yes some people feel uncomfortable seeing a heavy breathing runner coming near them. If you're a runner you should make a point of keeping your distance. If that involves jumping onto long lumpy grass then so be it. If it means stopping for a second to let someone pass then do it.

We can all do with maybe being a little kinder to each other in very stressful times.

Post of the week IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

LaHaine wrote: »

I'm confused at the 'brief' part also ?
    I can keep within 2km of my house, running back and forth, I only pass one inhabited house..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Post of the week IMO.

Feck...... there’s a competition? I’ll try harder next week.

Seriously though, spare a thought for our cycling cousins. 2k maximum and no cake shops open....they're fupped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

the polo grounds is 1 mile from my home, looks like I might be able to sneak a few runs in but if i'm told to head home I will no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Found this tool this morning ... https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Pick a point, draw the 2km circle and then you can see what roads are within the area.

I am lucky to live in the countryside, so have a couple of loops within my local 2km circle that will give me 10km running. Its very rural, so I don't usually pass anyone when doing these in normal circumstances, so expect no contact this morning.

I didn't pick up on the 'brief' part, but I guess that is relative.

And as the name suggest - its now hilly training, whereas before it was nice flat runs along the beach.

Found this tool this morning ... https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Pick a point, draw the 2km circle and then you can see what roads are within the area.

I am lucky to live in the countryside, so have a couple of loops within my local 2km circle that will give me 10km running. Its very rural, so I don't usually pass anyone when doing these in normal circumstances, so expect no contact this morning.

And as the name suggest - its now hilly training, whereas before it was nice flat runs along the beach.

Your not meant to do 10km. Your allowed to do 2km. Obey the rules for everyone's benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Easier version https://2kmfromhome.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Your not meant to do 10km. Your allowed to do 2km. Obey the rules for everyone's benefit

My understanding (and I think a lot more than me) was that stay within 2km of home ..

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

My understanding (and I think a lot more than me) was that stay within 2km of home ..

You are right.

martin101 wrote: »
    You are right.

It was meant in the spirit that everyone can get out and take in exercise within 2km of their home such as a walk or short run.

It's not to allow a bunch of self absirbed selfish runners get their 10km in by running around local roads until they reach 10km.

Remember everyone in your area can take 2km of exercise. There is a limited amount of room.
    Older people out for a walk don't want to have to deal with numerous runners hogging roads or paths and neither do youger ones for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Murph_D wrote: »

True.

But then it should not stop us from using our brains: a 20 minutes run in a park where you pass 10 people even 2 meters apart is not better than an hour run on a road where you pass absolutely no one, even though the first exercise may be described as brief and the other not.

Or doing a 1k loop 10 times near home when you pass others is within the rules but worse than doing an out and back 5k totally on your own.

Keep in mind that the spirit and science of the rule is to avoid / reduce a maximum any physical proximity; count the number of times you pass someone and if it reaches 2 then go home immediately and try another route and/or at another time.

I understand it is not easy to come up with good rules, but perhaps if the restriction had been framed using the number of people you come across, it would have been more adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I live in the countryside, will run 2k one way from my house , run back , then run 2km the other way
    and back .That will give me 8k in total and not breaking any rules.
    That’s fine isn’t it ?
    I need to do a bit of exercise , running has helped my mental help massively since I took it up .

Stay safe everyone

It was meant in the spirit that everyone can get out and take in exercise within 2km of their home such as a walk or short run.

It's not to allow a bunch of self absirbed selfish runners get their 10km in by running around local roads until they reach 10km.

Remember everyone in your area can take 2km of exercise. There is a limited amount of room.
    Older people out for a walk don't want to have to deal with numerous unners hogging roads or paths and neither do youger ones for that matter.

The 'rule' is that you can be out for 'brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home'. Nothing at all on there about 'self absorbed selfish runners', or that you have to stop after 2k total. 'Brief' is the limit (which is a relative term). That's all.

• Advertisement

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I live in the countryside, will run 2k one way from my house , run back , then run 2km the other way
    and back .That will give me 8k in total and not breaking any rules.
    That’s fine isn’t it ?
    I need to do a bit of exercise , running has helped my mental help massively since I took it up .

Stay safe anyone

Yes, of course that's fine, whether you live in the countryside or not. There was no distinction made between urban/rural locations.

Advertisement