Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

sideswipe wrote: »
    How far can you realistically run?

I’d be more inclined to put together a circuit routine or strength and core work outs.

I can only go 11ft. I was thinking of doing the circuit below and repeat it 6-8 time's up to 2hrs max.

Run forward and backwards for 10mins
    Squats
    Press ups
    Side bends
    Chin ups

I'm concerned about the shock from the concrete floor. It would amount to running 60-80mins on concrete. Not sure about the effect on knees and feet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

smashiner wrote: »
    Yep, I got one or two dirty looks from people while I was running too..;)

I was out for a drive the other day and we went through the Phoenix Park and I couldn't help but notice the amount of people out wearing AstroTurf runners and football shorts that looked absolutely knackered when running.......It made me chuckle a bit as I was that soldier a few years back when I made the transition from footie to running....bless their cotton socks (and cotton tee shirts too) :D:D:D

Whatever about social distance etiquette.. I am seeing a big increase in people flaunting the running dress etiquette in the last week :pac:

Football jerseys, not acceptable... same goes for cotton polo shirts... Old race tshirts and plain tech tshirts are the only acceptable attire.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

I'm seeing a big, no massive increase in dog poop..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I can only go 11ft. I was thinking of doing the circuit below and repeat it 6-8 time's up to 2hrs max.

Run forward and backwards for 10mins
    Squats
    Press ups
    Side bends
    Chin ups

I'm concerned about the shock from the concrete floor. It would amount to running 60-80mins on concrete. Not sure about the effect on knees and feet

Personally I don’t see the benefit of running in tiny circles. I did see a lad in runners world run a marathon on a balcony. I’d probably drop in burpees and the like instead of the running perhaps a stationary bike if you can get your hands on one? Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

mloc123 wrote: »
    Whatever about social distance etiquette.. I am seeing a big increase in people flaunting the running dress etiquette in the last week :pac:

Football jerseys, not acceptable... same goes for cotton polo shirts... Old race tshirts and plain tech tshirts are the only acceptable attire.

Lot of air max full kit **** out this evening.
    What the hell has made them decide to take up running now... Strange times indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

mloc123 wrote: »
    Football jerseys, not acceptable...

I've stuck my dubs 5 in a row jersey on a few times over the last while on my runs in the Phoenix Park, some of the looks I've been getting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ooter wrote: »
    I've stuck my dubs 5 in a row jersey on a few times over the last while on my runs in the Phoenix Park, some of the looks I've been getting. :D

I was sure that's an automatic lifetime ban but for some reason I can't find it in the charter ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I was sure that's an automatic lifetime ban but for some reason I can't find it in the charter ..

Doesn't need a reason, just ban it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It's tricky trying to socially distance atm. I was hoping for some bad weather as it drives the normal folk indoors but instead it's been this perpetual glaring sunlight. In fact I can't remember it raining for over 2 weeks. In any case I've had to adjust my routes when I spot groups in the distance. Dogs would be the major worry as they race up, attempt to intimidate (owners are feckless) etc and are potential carriers. I find the behaviour of people extremely bizarre in terms of their absolute lack of social distancing and lackadaisical manner as if nothing at all was wrong. I have had to spell this out to the more ignorant among them but they look at me oblivious. Ditto for avoidance by letting others pass by at a distance, they give you strange looks but I find their reactions utterly weird, such is their willful ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It's tricky trying to socially distance atm. I was hoping for some bad weather as it drives the normal folk indoors but instead it's been this perpetual glaring sunlight. In fact I can't remember it raining for over 2 weeks. In any case I've had to adjust my routes when I spot groups in the distance. Dogs would be the major worry as they race up, attempt to intimidate (owners are feckless) etc and are potential carriers. I find the behaviour of people extremely bizarre in terms of their absolute lack of social distancing and lackadaisical manner as if nothing at all was wrong. I have had to spell this out to the more ignorant among them but they look at me oblivious. Ditto for avoidance by letting others pass by at a distance, they give you strange looks but I find their reactions utterly weird, such is their willful ignorance.

Beast from the east for a week would work wonders. Clocks go forward this weekend just adds to the issues next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Beast from the east for a week would work wonders. Clocks go forward this weekend just adds to the issues next week

Yeah Beast from the East was awesome, great times wandering around in the storm and most people inside, could pretend I was in the arctic at some points. Someone pointed out that later evening runs are now possible and people tend not to venture out past 7 or 8 in parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

I'm a jogger

Jog mainly in the phoenix Park a fantastic shared resource for everyone which we will really miss if it is closed

Really disappointed since Covid 19 to see the pure ignorance of so many joggers who insist on running on the paths screwing up everyone else's attempts to social distance...people walking together try and walk at opposite sides of the paths...but the joggers run up the middle between them....coming from behind and passing people with inches to spare...

Not hard to run on the grass this time of year!!

Just because we jog and are reasonably healthy doesn't mean we are immune or have a right to infect others!!

Fasterbetter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't mind people out jogging , but find it irritating in confined spaces, one common walking area near me is the Sandymount Nature reserve out to Poolbeg, its exactly 3 people wide yet on a half hour I spent walking both way in the more confined area I must have been passed by 20 to 30 joggers from behind almost heavy breathing down my neck, while trying to keep distance with people passing the other way. Pick a time when the tide is out and jog on the beach its literally a km wide with the tide out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I don't mind people out jogging , but find it irritating in confined spaces, one common walking area near me is the Sandymount Nature reserve out to Poolbeg, its exactly 3 people wide yet on a half hour I spent walking both way in the more confined area I must have been passed by 20 to 30 joggers from behind almost heavy breathing down my neck, while trying to keep distance with people passing the other way. Pick a time when the tide is out and jog on the beach its literally a km wide with the tide out

Would the same not apply to yourself? Pick a time when the tide is out to got outside and walk on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Would the same not apply to yourself? Pick a time when the tide is out to got outside and walk on the beach.

its not the same , im not passing anyone walking and Im not breathing heavily or sweating. Also it was my lunch hour so walking I would be doing anyway , there ought not be that many joggers around mid week

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

its not the same , im not passing anyone walking and Im not breathing heavily or sweating. Also it was my lunch hour so walking I would be doing anyway , there ought not be that many joggers around mid week

What's breathing and sweating got to do with it? It is also jogger's lunchtime.

Unless they are touching you, you have nothing to be concern about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'm a jogger

Jog mainly in the phoenix Park a fantastic shared resource for everyone which we will really miss if it is closed

Really disappointed since Covid 19 to see the pure ignorance of so many joggers who insist on running on the paths screwing up everyone else's attempts to social distance...people walking together try and walk at opposite sides of the paths...but the joggers run up the middle between them....coming from behind and passing people with inches to spare...

Just because we jog and are reasonably healthy doesn't mean we are immune or have a right to infect others!!

Fasterbetter

B.s.

Phoenix park grass can be very deceiving. Some very uneven ground under some long grass.

Social distancing is primarily about longer durations together then 1 sec it takes go by someone

The corona virus does not get transmitted via sweat or breath.
    Also, joggers have lunchtime hours as well in case you had not realised.

I do have issues with runners who keep squeezing right between 2 people who are trying to keep their distance but I very much disagree with the view that nobody should be allowed to run on the same path at the same time as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I'm a jogger

Fasterbetter

You cannot "infect" somebody just by running past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

hold on, it does get transmitted through breath though i mean why else am i standing 2 meters away from my parents

im pro footpath running btw i just want this clarified!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

IvoryTower wrote: »
    hold on, it does get transmitted through breath though i mean why else am i standing 2 meters away from my parents

My understanding is that it isn't transfered through breath per se. It's not airborne like other viruses. But droplets in coughs or sneezes would land on surfaces and the virus survives on surfaces... I'm open to correction.

Its all getting tetchy now... ppl getting irate with others, giving out, glaring, being unpleasant....

IvoryTower wrote: »

Fair enough, if someone breathes right onto you then yes, the can cause transmission (not that I'm a virologist, I'm just repeating what I keep reading)

But I'd think there is a reason why they keep telling us that you have to be within 2 meters of someone for 15 minutes to be at risk of infection.

Well, I guess that whole discussion just became obsolete, for the next 2 weeks at least.

Stay at home, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Lockdown is here.
    Only brief exercise, not traveling more than 2km from your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

So....only allowed brief exercise within 2km of your home. Going to make things a bit tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭druss

token56 wrote: »
    So....only allowed brief exercise within 2km of your home. Going to make things a bit tricky.

The weekend long run is going to become pretty repetitive for starters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

druss wrote: »
    The weekend long run is going to become pretty repetitive for starters!

Yeah, certainly changes my plans for runs this weekend. Oh well, we've got to do it.

You’ve potentially a lap of up to 14km with 1km out, a 12km radius and 1km back. Good thing is that there won’t be many cars on the road, so no problem with running in urban areas where normally crossing all the roads would be too much of a pain. Could be quite a refreshing change to enjoy quiet streets which would not normally be runnable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭druss

Yeah, but it's "-brief physical exercise within 2km of home".

Open to interpretation, i suppose. My long run is for half marathon training, so it would be considered brief by someone doing ultra stuff. Right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Kind of annoying for me in that I would jump in the car and drive to remote hills and other spots (beach) and do my sessions there. There are no hills within 2km radius of where I live. Ironically, I'll now be running in a more crowded spot as the local park is now the only place to do a session.

Advertisement