Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options
1356743

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner


    adrian522 wrote: »
    Just be thankful if you are able to run, I'm currently stuck at home, with respiratory symptoms among others so no exercise and no leaving the house :(

    Have you picked up the virus?
    Hope you be ok and is someone looking after you?


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522


    Have you picked up the virus?
    Hope you be ok and is someone looking after you?

    I don't know, its a possibility, waiting for a test. On the low priority list.

    I'm on my own but I'm ok for the moment, I'm not sick enough to need someone to look after me and have all the food and coffee I need.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner


    adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't know, its a possibility, waiting for a test. On the low priority list.

    I'm on my own but I'm ok for the moment, I'm not sick enough to need someone to look after me and have all the food and coffee I need.

    No idea where u live, but if you do need help give a shout out on boards. Someone here might be able to help


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru


    My local park is full of kamikaze kids on scooters/bicycles/skates with parents who are too busy with their head stuck in their phones to notice how much mayhem the brats are causing not just to runners but other park users in general and dont get me started on those who think it's perfectly ok to completely block the paths with 3 abreast prams while they stop to chat to Mary from up the road who they have not seen for at least 24 hours.

    I'm leaving the park to young families now as obviously kids need to let off steam. But it really annoys me when parents of small kids walking around local roads let them fly down the footpath on their bikes and scooters, taking no effort to make sure they're not getting too close to other people. Likewise people walking 3 abreast on the pavement and not slipping into single file when they meet someone coming in the opposite direction.

    Some people just cannot comply with simple requests, and they're the people who are going to hamper efforts to minimise the chances of others contracting covid 19.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner


    I'm leaving the park to young families now as obviously kids need to let off steam. But it really annoys me when parents of small kids walking around local roads let them fly down the footpath on their bikes and scooters, taking no effort to make sure they're not getting too close to other people. Likewise people walking 3 abreast on the pavement and not slipping into single file when they meet someone coming in the opposite direction.

    Some people just cannot comply with simple requests, and they're the people who are going to hamper efforts to minimise the chances of others contracting covid 19.

    I just run at 730 in the morning now, nice and quiet


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird


    I always run on my own and have given people I pass plenty of space. I will run on the other side of the road whenever it’s safe to do so for everyone’s sake.

    🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West



  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85


    Going running solo in the evenings mostly and so quiet. Very aware of keeping distance now and avoiding crowds. Was amazed how many runners out on Paddy's Day running together in groups in Phoenix Park as just not needed.

    Running at the moment is maintaining a bit of physical fitness and also nice time away from media/news to give my head a break. The days are busy enough trying to work from home with my wife and a busy toddler running around the place.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer


    I just run at 730 in the morning now, nice and quiet

    Me too, very easy to keep the social distancing going that way. My fear is that there are still too many ignoring the recommendations and at some point they might have to introduce far stricter rules (i.e everyone stay at home, mandatory)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`


    Me too, very easy to keep the social distancing going that way. My fear is that there are still too many ignoring the recommendations and at some point they might have to introduce far stricter rules (i.e everyone stay at home, mandatory)

    I fear the same. From all reports public parks and promenades are still very busy. I run on my own on rural roads which i have to myself except for the odd dog walker and i'm well used to putting distance between myself & four legged creatures anyhow :o I understand it's more challenging for those living in urban areas but for this to work people have to work at it, a combined effort.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru


    On a slightly related note, why do some couples still insist on bringing their toddlers to the supermarket. Surely one of them could stay at home and the other go out and do the shopping.

    You can't expect a toddler not to sneeze and cough over people or products and it's really not fair to expose other shoppers to that risk when it's not necessary.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`


    On a slightly related note, why do some couples still insist on bringing their toddlers to the supermarket. Surely one of them could stay at home and the other go out and do the shopping.

    You can't expect a toddler not to sneeze and cough over people or products and it's really not fair to expose other shoppers to that risk when it's not necessary.

    To be honest I don't even know why people do that in normal times :confused: If i can at all i will shop on my own and only bring a kid/the kids if i can't find an opportunity to do it when my other half is at home with them or they're at an activity. Obviously sometimes needs must i get that or maybe it's just me that finds no pleasure dragging young kids around a supermarket.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner


    ariana` wrote: »
    I fear the same. From all reports public parks and promenades are still very busy. I run on my own on rural roads which i have to myself except for the odd dog walker and i'm well used to putting distance between myself & four legged creatures anyhow :o I understand it's more challenging for those living in urban areas but for this to work people have to work at it, a combined effort.

    In fairness its not that hard for us to do it Dublin, just people don't care :mad:


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig


    BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yeap total tools. Just like the runners running in groups taking up the whole footpath.

    The thread is about runners not prams etc..


    Eh....I'm a runner who runs alone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner


    DCM series 4m and 10k postponed.
    Stupid decision to put a 4m race on two weeks before a full marathon.
    Especially when the series was to be a lead into the full marathon.



    Change to two dates in KBC Race Series
    20.03.2020
    The KBC Dublin Marathon and Race Series organisers are continuing to monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation closely during these challenging times, and following the Government announcements about the Covid-19 outbreak. It is with regret that the Fingal 4 mile, scheduled for May 24th, and the South Dublin 10K, scheduled for July 26th have both been postponed.

    Our priority is the safety and wellbeing of our runners, volunteers and sponsors.

    We fully understand this is disappointing news to all our dedicated followers, but it is in the best interest of the community. The events will be rescheduled to October 11th for the Fingal 4 mile and November 29th for the South Dublin 10K. If you cannot make this new date, your entry will be transferred to the 2021 running of the event.

    Many thanks for your support in this challenging time.

    KBC Race Series Team.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D


    Right, but the series can now not lead into the marathon, at least not in the original order. While it’s very possible none of these events will actually go ahead, the option to run or defer is perfectly acceptable to me.

    Even if racing the Marathon, the 4-miler could be used as a dress rehearsal MP run or some other workout if you don’t want to push it. Pre-marathon tune up opportunities might be rare enough.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner


    Murph_D wrote: »
    Right, but the series can now not lead into the marathon, at least not in the original order. While it’s very possible none of these events will actually go ahead, the option to run or defer is perfectly acceptable to me.

    Even if racing the Marathon, the 4-miler could be used as a dress rehearsal MP run or some other workout if you don’t want to push it. Pre-marathon tune up opportunities might be rare enough.

    That could be the case if were having the race somewhere like the Phoenix Park and you could arrange another 10/15 miles of a run before or after.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835


    It's not unheard of for runners to have a blowout a couple of weeks out from a marathon. I've raced a 10k a few times 2 weeks out from the big day. A 4 miler would be a nice little loosener.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭token56


    Was out in the phoenix park for a run this morning and it was good to see a lot of people making the effort in practicing social distancing. However there were still a couple of groups that certainly weren't. I know if you are used to running with other people it is a difficult transition to running on your own but I think for the next few weeks its a sacrifice we can all make.


  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU


    healy1835 wrote: »
    It's not unheard of for runners to have a blowout a couple of weeks out from a marathon. I've raced a 10k a few times 2 weeks out from the big day. A 4 miler would be a nice little loosener.

    Generally most of the lads I coach do 6k Dublin Novice cross country couple weeks out.

    I know few of top Irish like Clohisey and a few others that often do 4-5 mile race as a blow out


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835


    KSU wrote: »
    Generally most of the lads I coach do 6k Dublin Novice cross country couple weeks out.

    I know few of top Irish like Clohisey and a few others that often do 4-5 mile race as a blow out

    Yeah I'm usually given a blow out race 2 weeks out if the calendar allows it. Broke 40 for 10k and 30 for 5miles for the first time before a couple of marathons :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner


    I went for a run the Phoenix Park on my own at lunchtime yesterday and kept well away from people, I was crossing roads to the other side of the footpaths to avoid people etc, so weird. I was paranoid to bits on the run and didn't really enjoy it if I am honest and I will probably just run in the evenings at home on a deserted cycle/foot path around my area from now on.

    I was coming back out the gate at the Conyngham Road and I saw 6/7 younger people walking side by side with boxes of Budweiser heading into the park all in great form laughing and joking.........unbelievable, people are not getting it......:(


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig


    smashiner wrote: »
    I went for a run the Phoenix Park on my own at lunchtime yesterday and kept well away from people, I was crossing roads to the other side of the footpaths to avoid people etc, so weird. I was paranoid to bits on the run and didn't really enjoy it if I am honest and I will probably just run in the evenings at home on a deserted cycle/foot path around my area from now on.

    I was coming back out the gate at the Conyngham Road and I saw 6/7 younger people walking side by side with boxes of Budweiser heading into the park all in great form laughing and joking.........unbelievable, people are not getting it......:(

    No need to be crossing roads to avoid people. You or they will not catch the virus by passing them and even if one drop of sweat landed on them they wont catch the virus as it is not transmitted by sweat. I have a laugh to myself watching people taking a wide detour to avoid me as if I had a bell around my neck and a sign that says "unclean" just like the lepers in little God's time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner


    No need to be crossing roads to avoid people. You or they will not catch the virus by passing them and even if one drop of sweat landed on them they wont catch the virus as it is not transmitted by sweat. I have a laugh to myself watching people taking a wide detour to avoid me as if I had a bell around my neck and a sign that says "unclean" just like the lepers in little God's time.

    Yep, I got one or two dirty looks from people while I was running too..;)

    I was out for a drive the other day and we went through the Phoenix Park and I couldn't help but notice the amount of people out wearing AstroTurf runners and football shorts that looked absolutely knackered when running.......It made me chuckle a bit as I was that soldier a few years back when I made the transition from footie to running....bless their cotton socks (and cotton tee shirts too) :D:D:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe


    People seem very triggered and tetchy at the moment (understandable for the most part I know).

    I was running on a path last night that had a 2 lane cycle path beside it. 3 women were 'socially distanced' across the path and cycle lanes, one had a dog on a long lead which was also socially distanced from the group. As I ran up behind I called out 'on your left' to the lady on that side to give her the heads up. She screamed 'I haven't got in the back of my ****ing head'. I told her I'd nowhere else to go as I ran on past and I was told to '**** off out of my personal space'. People are just lovely sometimes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner


    sideswipe wrote: »
    People seem very triggered and tetchy at the moment (understandable for the most part I know).

    I was running on a path last night that had a 2 lane cycle path beside it. 3 women were 'socially distanced' across the path and cycle lanes, one had a dog on a long lead which was also socially distanced from the group. As I ran up behind I called out 'on your left' to the lady on that side to give her the heads up. She screamed 'I haven't got in the back of my ****ing head'. I told her I'd nowhere else to go as I ran on past and I was told to '**** off out of my personal space'. People are just lovely sometimes.

    That's a just a rude low life woman


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder


    sideswipe wrote: »
    People seem very triggered and tetchy at the moment (understandable for the most part I know).

    I was running on a path last night that had a 2 lane cycle path beside it. 3 women were 'socially distanced' across the path and cycle lanes, one had a dog on a long lead which was also socially distanced from the group. As I ran up behind I called out 'on your left' to the lady on that side to give her the heads up. She screamed 'I haven't got in the back of my ****ing head'. I told her I'd nowhere else to go as I ran on past and I was told to '**** off out of my personal space'. People are just lovely sometimes.
    I don't know why they are allowing groups of four to walk together like that. That is the obvious problem it will cause. If they only allowed people from the same household to walk together, they could be closer and allow other individuals/groups to pass safely.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares


    What are people's views on running indoors on a concrete Floor.

    How damaging is it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe


    plodder wrote: »
    I don't know why they are allowing groups of four to walk together like that. That is the obvious problem it will cause. If they only allowed people from the same household to walk together, they could be closer and allow other individuals/groups to pass safely.

    The rules have changed since this incident but your right there will be problems, especially since good weather decided to show up now!

    TBH I think we’re all on tender hooks with this thing. Those women went for a walk and to their minds practiced proper social distancing from each other, the problem is they never allowed for anyone else to fit into their equation. I suppose we’re all on a sharp learning curve and are suffering emotionally even if we aren’t aware, I’ve taken the approach of trying to give people a smile and the benefit of the doubt. We’re all in this together.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes


    What are people's views on running indoors on a concrete Floor.

    How damaging is it.

    Concrete's tough enough. Shouldn't do too much damage.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe


    What are people's views on running indoors on a concrete Floor.

    How damaging is it.

    How far can you realistically run?

    I’d be more inclined to put together a circuit routine or strength and core work outs.


Advertisement