Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

• 19-03-2020 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Has anyone had any negative reactions from other people when you are out running? My wife was running with 2 friends in the Phoenix Park on Tuesday and was verbally abused by a man stating that they acting recklessly by running in groups.

Maybe this has made me paranoid but I do feel I am getting some funny looks, from people particularly older people, while out running the last few days.

Any similar experiences or what are people views about appropriate behaviour here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Whatever about people's reactions I don't think people should be running in groups unless they're practicing social distancing. The guidelines have been clear.

From my own perspective I do all my running on my own anyway. If anything I find I've had more nods and salutes than usual but maybe that's coz it's nice to see a different face to the faces we're at home with all day. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

117260512-can-of-worms-cartoon-character.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Has anyone had any negative reactions from other people when you are out running? My wife was running with 2 friends in the Phoenix Park on Tuesday and was verbally abused by a man stating that they acting recklessly by running in groups.

Maybe this has made me paranoid but I do feel I am getting some funny looks, from people particularly older people, while out running the last few days.

Any similar experiences or what are people views about appropriate behaviour here?

Once ye are two meters apart at all time and also giving other people that space your alright. But you should do it in a very quiet place as parks are packed now.

Some of our club runs together in the park but are doing it on the gaa pitch, 2 meters apart.

I personally am running on my own as feel more comfortable that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Once ye are two meters apart at all time and also giving other people that space your alright. But you should do it in a very quiet place as parks are packed now.

Some of our club runs together in the park but are doing it on the gaa pitch, 2 meters apart.

I personally am running on my own as feel more comfortable that way.

Indeed.

I cycled around the city centre on Paddy's Day and it was very quiet. Then I cycled to the Clontarf seafront and it was packed! It felt very strange and quite uncomfortable, frankly.

And it seems Glendalough and other places were also packed.

Come on people, spread out a bit. I'm all for getting outside and exercising but let's cop on a bit. There's plenty of space out there is we think a little bit.

Basically, pretend you have the virus and want to not spread it. That works way better than trying to avoid getting it.

pc11 wrote: »
    Indeed.

I cycled around the city centre on Paddy's Day and it was very quiet. Then I cycled to the Clontarf seafront and it was packed! It felt very strange and quite uncomfortable, frankly.

And it seems Glendalough and other places were also packed.

Come on people, spread out a bit. I'm all for getting outside and exercising but let's cop on a bit. There's plenty of space out there is we think a little bit.

Basically, pretend you have the virus and want to not spread it. That works way better than trying to avoid getting it.

Yeah avoiding Glendalough.

Need to find somewhere to bring the kids on sat, as getting bored of the park but am working from home during week, so all I can manage.
    Not that I am complaining, as I am lucky I can do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Nobody should be running in a group, we were told to avoid social interactions. The day the schools closed, my running buddy and I said we'd leave it till this is all over. I'm running on my own now, and it's pretty irritating to see people ignoring the public health advice, and increasing (even a little) the chances of transmission. Everyone knows this, but some choose to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Whatever about runners the feral dog walkers of the council estates are finding out about our woodlands.
    Walking 3 or 4 wide on the path and letting their mutt loose, not a leash in sight.

One mutt pretty much ran into my path last weekend and I f*cked them out of it, only to be told I'd be knocked out if I didn't F off by said feral father figure*

*may not be childs actual father.

Whatever about runners the feral dog walkers of the council estates are finding out about our woodlands.
    Walking 3 or 4 wide on the path and letting their mutt loose, not a leash in sight.

One mutt pretty much ran into my path last weekend and I f*cked them out of it, only to be told I'd be knocked out if I didn't F off by said feral father figure*

Understand your pain. We have a young Labrador but keep him on the lead, but it doesn't help when others don't and signs up in the park saying no dogs off the lead!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

There's no question that stricter measures will be on the way, if the current ones aren't working. And my big worry is a lockdown of the form of "stay at home except for specific exceptions, like going to work, or a shop" which rules out solo running and cycling. I live in a rural area and the actual risk involved with me running/cycling on my own is miniscule. So, the idea of looking out at empty roads, not able to use them, is not nice to contemplate.

plodder wrote: »
    There's no question that stricter measures will be on the way, if the current ones aren't working. And my big worry is a lockdown of the form of "stay at home except for specific exceptions, like going to work, or a shop" which rules out solo running and cycling. I live in a rural area and the actual risk involved with me running/cycling on my own is miniscule. So, the idea of looking out at empty roads, not able to use them, is not nice to contemplate.

They are allowed to exercise in Italy. Mental will fall to pieces otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

They are allowed to exercise in Italy. Mental will fall to pieces otherwise
    Not in Spain apparently. I've seen a video of an altercation between an English guy cycling and the police on the Costa del sol.

and ..

We speak to an ultramarathon runner, currently in lockdown in Spain

though I understand you can get out to walk your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

As usual it's a case of common sense not being very common. People need to work together here and see this as a fight against a common enemy. The only real tools we have to use are sensible distancing and hygiene. I came across 3 large groups of cyclists on my run on Tuesday, one group was 15+ all happily cycling along in each others slip streams for hours at a time makes no sense.

Best piece of advice I've heard is to act as though you already have the virus to protect the vulnerable and stop the spread meaning we can all get back to normal quicker.

Irish people are just not good at doing as we are asked, there's a rebellious streak in us. Other nationalities seem better at civic responsibility. As was mentioned on the radio the other day-

Q. How do you get 400 Canadians to get out of a swimming pool?

A. You ask them to leave.

Here you'd have to ask 10 times.

It's in our nature to think suggestions and requests made by governing bodies are optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

plodder wrote: »
    Not in Spain apparently. I've seen a video of an altercation between an English guy cycling and the police on the Costa del sol.

They're not allowed cycle because there's a higher risk of you needing to go to hospital if you come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

How do you know they are from council estates?

Local park here (deer park) is full of runners in groups of four and five. Was out for a stroll yesterday with the missus and told them to cop the hell on and respect the rules. Also why can't they run on the grass and not on the paths nobody wants some self entitled oink running past them sweating andblowing snot out of their nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

BanditLuke wrote: »
    How do you know they are from council estates?

Combination of the following
    - Inbred townie accent
    - Dressed like an athlete 24/7
    - A walk like there is something lodged in their arse
    - Lack of leash on a dog
    - Meltdown when challenged about anything

Combination of the following
    - Inbred townie accent
    - Dressed like an athlete 24/7
    - A walk like there is something lodged in their arse
    - Lack of leash on a dog
    - Meltdown when challenged about anything

Oh so you are just stereotyping. Thought you had evidence.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Local park here (deer park) is full of runners in groups of four and five. Was out for a stroll yesterday with the missus and told them to cop the hell on and respect the rules. Also why can't they run on the grass and not on the paths nobody wants some self entitled oink running past them sweating andblowing snot out of their nose.

Walk on the grass if you've an issue with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Stark wrote: »
    Walk on the grass if you've an issue with it.

Running on the path makes one self entitled now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

sideswipe wrote: »
    As usual it's a case of common sense not being very common. People need to work together here and see this as a fight against a common enemy. The only real tools we have to use are sensible distancing and hygiene. I came across 3 large groups of cyclists on my run on Tuesday, one group was 15+ all happily cycling along in each others slip streams for hours at a time makes no sense.

Best piece of advice I've heard is to act as though you already have the virus to protect the vulnerable and stop the spread meaning we can all get back to normal quicker.

Irish people are just not good at doing as we are asked, there's a rebellious streak in us. Other nationalities seem better at civic responsibility. As was mentioned on the radio the other day-

Q. How do you get 400 Canadians to get out of a swimming pool?

A. You ask them to leave.

Here you'd have to ask 10 times.

It's in our nature to think suggestions and requests made by governing bodies are optional.

This! I will only run alone for the foreseeable future and only on the quiet streets. The Phoenix Park on Sunday was packed to the rafters with social distancing seeming like something to be done only by Italians. I'll only run in parks if it's early mornings before the hordes descend. I am acting as if I have the virus and don't want to spread it. You wouldn't believe some of the reactions I have had to this in work!!

The difference that every percentage drop in daily new cases below the 33.33% used by the government in predicting cases going forward is staggering. If we could get that down to 25% the knock on benefits would be massive. Instead of the predicted 112,000 cases by April 7th there would be less than 72,000. That difference would reduce the need for hospital beds by up to 4,000 and also a huge drop in the need for ICU beds and respiratory equipment. We can all do our bit...in fact it's our duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

While this will remain a problem in more built up areas I'm looking forward to the time changing next weekend. The additional light should make it easier to get out in the evening on quieter unlit roads. The regular local routes around the lake and river where I live were very busy last night and St. Patrick's day. I've always ran solo but I'm looking forward to exploring more quiet country roads outside the town I live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

8 of us went up to park on Tuesday. Paired up in groups of 2 with 5 m between each group

Perfectly entitled to run on the path. Why don't your missus walk on the grass.

Oh so you are just stereotyping. Thought you had evidence.

Carry on.

I think everything he said was evidence

adrian522 wrote: »
    Running on the path makes one self entitled now apparently.

If your not from a council estate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

skyblue46 wrote: »
    This! I will only run alone for the foreseeable future and only on the quiet streets. The Phoenix Park on Sunday was packed to the rafters with social distancing seeming like something to be done only by Italians. I'll only run in parks if it's early mornings before the hordes descend. I am acting as if I have the virus and don't want to spread it. You wouldn't believe some of the reactions I have had to this in work!!

The difference that every percentage drop in daily new cases below the 33.33% used by the government in predicting cases going forward is staggering. If we could get that down to 25% the knock on benefits would be massive. Instead of the predicted 112,000 cases by April 7th there would be less than 72,000. That difference would reduce the need for hospital beds by up to 4,000 and also a huge drop in the need for ICU beds and respiratory equipment. We can all do our bit...in fact it's our duty.

Fully agree its our duty to do our bit.

I'm not buying those figures though. I don't see us being anywhere close to 15,000 by end of March. Given Italy are 2 weeks ahead of us, thus means us being on 15,000 then is the equivalent of them having 180,000 now, adjusting for population.

They say it will go up by 30% every day and we'll be on 15000 by 31 March and that this will happen and there is nothing we can do to stop it (Leo's words). Well we went up by just 7% yesterday. I don't see us being anywhere near 15000, particularly with the measures now in place.

I understand they are probably trying to freak people out so they will act, and that's a good tactic. The figures are way off though.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Fully agree its our duty to do our bit.

I'm not buying those figures though. I don't see us being anywhere close to 15,000 by end of March. Given Italy are 2 weeks ahead of us, thus means us being on 15,000 then is the equivalent of them having 180,000 now, adjusting for population.

They say it will go up by 30% every day and we'll be on 15000 by 31 March and that this will happen and there is nothing we can do to stop it (Leo's words). Well we went up by just 7% yesterday. I don't see us being anywhere near 15000, particularly with the measures now in place.

I understand they are probably trying to freak people out so they will act, and that's a good tactic. The figures are way off though.

We are testing more now, so numbers should increase a lot more.

15,000, I agree with you there, but to get people to behave we got to shock them with worst case scenario.

I think we be out of this by end of April in Ireland, still might not be able to travel, but we can holiday here

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Testing protocol's changed in recent days so expect dramatic rises when those results start feeding in. 15,000 was projections based on where we were I do think with company closures and other measures that have been taken this number will be lower due to proactive measures but I the Governement are preparing for coping with those number projections so I don't think they will revise them down anytime soon even if the trends deviate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well we went up by just 7% yesterday. I don't see us being anywhere near 15000, particularly with the measures now in place.

The % increase, by day, since last Friday are 43%, 31%, 32%, 31%, and 25%. Where did you get 7%?

74/292 = 25.3%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The % increase, by day, since last Friday are 43%, 31%, 32%, 31%, and 25%. Where did you get 7%?

74/292 = 25.3%

69 increasing to 74

5/69 = 7.24%

I thought it was calculated on the percentage increase compared to previous day.

If your method is the one to go by then you can already see the figures declining. No way will 33% be maintained as time goes on. In Sweden and Denmark we are starting to see increases of about 10%. The bigger the total number becomes, the more we will see the percentage come down using your method.

Advertisement