Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Grandeeod wrote: »
    It was all based on the "dinner/dance" concept. Ask your parents to ask their parents. Nothing to do with a restaurant license.

Dinner Dance was totally different. A Dinner Dance would be an annual event organised by a community or a local club. It would usually be held in a local hotel and would include a full 5 course meal followed by dancing to a live band. Dress code would be formal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

jt69er wrote: »
    Dinner Dance was totally different. A Dinner Dance would be an annual event organised by a community or a local club. It would usually be held in a local hotel and would include a full 5 course meal followed by dancing to a live band. Dress code would be formal.

Okay so. My parents went to a dinner dance once a week when I was a nipper in the early 70s. Usually a live band with maybe a comedian and chicken and chips in a basket. And it was called a dinner dance - in Dublin.

Anyway, who gives a fook. The thread is about a completely different thing altogether. Different times. Really different times. Incredibly different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No doing snow in the bathrooms those days ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    No doing snow in the bathrooms those days ha

There'll be a lot of people delighted that they won't feel obliged to invite someone else in with them to partake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Poorside wrote: »
    Some nightclubs were very devious and handed out salty sausages and chips.

Ahh yes, the memories. The local ****ty nightclub we used to goto back west. Plates of Smash, beans and sausages with enough salt added to them to dry the Atlantic out..

great times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Journal have a discussion on this over on Facebook and a huge majority say they won’t be going into pubs while sugfested measures are in force

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »
    The Journal have a discussion on this over on Facebook and a huge majority say they won’t be going into pubs while sugfested measures are in force

They base it off the Claire Byrne scenario and that whole show last night from hairdressing to pubs was a car crash.

We just have to wait and see what comes in the next 2-3 months. Dont forget 3 months ago we were going about our normal lives.

Alot has changed and can change in a short space of time

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Just got word that our local Charlie Chawke is opening up end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Seen some FB posts (and had a couple of emails) from Hotels saying they will be back up and running in July. However as far as I can see the bars in them won't be open until August unless Im mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Gael23 wrote: »

Good thing. More room and space for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The "new normal":
    • Some pubs will restrict table seating times to around 90 minutes to allow others to book a table on an app.
    • Some bars may install a traffic-light system at toilets to let the public know when the lavatory is free - reducing numbers using the toilet at one time.
    • The death of live music and dancing areas, as social distancing would be an impossibility, some publicans believe.
    • Food could become more of a focus than drink as publicans weigh up the risk of alcohol and social distancing.
    • Perspex or protective screens/barriers dividing pub-goers from each other and from staff. Some bars are working on making these design-friendly.
    • The pub will become a place where families and close friends enjoy leisure time, especially around food. The days of meeting strangers and having the craic will be gone as drinkers get used to the new normal in bars and on their night lives.
    • It may spell the end of the traditional night out, certainly a new chapter.
    https://www.herald.ie/news/sitting-room-only-20-ways-a-night-out-in-the-pub-could-change-39228016.html

snotboogie wrote: »

The new normal is only temporary and it's a god awful phrase to start with in general as there's nothing normal about it, but at least it's only temporary until life properly resume.
    Anyway this was also published in the Independent last week and the LVA & VFI shot it down saying it largely wasn't accurate. Same as the Claire Byrne pub scenario that was completely dismissed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The new normal is only temporary and it's a god awful phrase to start with in general as there's nothing normal about it, but at least it's only temporary until life properly resume.
    Anyway this was also published in the Independent last week and the LVA & VFI shot it down saying it largely wasn't accurate. Same as the Claire Byrne pub scenario that was completely dismissed

This is what's pissing me off about this thing, if this is temporary - even if it's the guts of a year, it's still temporary.

Why are the media/govt not emphasizing this ?
    Why is it all about this being the new normal - forever!! , they really seem intent on establishing this new dystopian society, no social contact, bars/restaurants a thing of the past..
    That article in particular ... "The days of standing at the bar are gone"

F*ck off!!!

Just close all pubs then...

This is what's pissing me off about this thing, if this is temporary - even if it's the guts of a year, it's still temporary.

Why is it all about this being the new normal - forever!! , they really seem intent on establishing this new dystopian society, no social contact, bars/restaurants a thing of the past..

F*ck off!!!

because a year is really optimistic, it could well be 5+ years before a vaccine is properly rolled out.

I hate the phrase too, hence the inverted comma's. I just think burying your head in the sand and saying "ah sure once da auld pubs open twill be back to de way it twas before" is facilitating people who are pushing long term social distancing. The public need to be aware of just how destructive long term social distancing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

F*ck off!!!

They are closed.

And why do you want to stand are the bar. Who likes standing at the bar. Weird. Id prefer proper table service. done sign me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

listermint wrote: »
    They are closed.

And why do you want to stand are the bar. Who likes standing at the bar. Weird. Id prefer proper table service. done sign me up.

I mean close them for good, it won't be worth it as a business ...

because a year is really optimistic, it could well be 5+ years before a vaccine is properly rolled out.

Its quite safe to assume we wont be waiting for a vacinne before going back to "normal".
    It's been discussed on other threads here but theres not a hope people will wait for a vacinne before returning to social interaction, large scale cultural and sporting events etc because as you've mentioned its destructive. Only so long it can go on for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They are closed.

I much prefer sitting at the bar. Would very rarely sit at a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Sounds like less than zero craic if that's what pubs will be like when they open, not very appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

El Weirdo wrote: »

Totally agree. Always sit up to the bar if I'm drinking a pint. Only sit at the tables if I'm ordering food with my pint......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

El Weirdo wrote: »

Same always at the bar to have an oul chinwag with the service staff, would only be at a table for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

They are closed.

Have you ever been a pub where its just ALL seated , in some parts of Canada you have to be seated to order a beer ,
    Its awful , no atmosphere, its not what makes the Irish pub what it is, This is coming from someone (me) who doesn't drink well maybe once or twice In year,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Our local does excellent table service. Don't think I have ever gone to the bar - but my hubby says that anyway :)
    Just miss the Friday after work, sit down at 5.30, dinner and a couple of beers and home by 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Its quite safe to assume we wont be waiting for a vacinne before going back to "normal".
    It's been discussed on other threads here but theres not a hope people will wait for a vacinne before returning to social interaction, large scale cultural and sporting events etc because as you've mentioned its destructive. Only so long it can go on for
    These large audience events will be banned until such time as the virus is under control - most likely with a vaccine, unless there is some other breakthrough. The events can be played behind closed doors at best.

Sporting organisations are not going to ignore government orders and go ahead with running large events. Attendance would plummet anyway, and I imagine insurance would also come into play.

It makes no sense to take large risks now while vaccines are going through trials and making good progress. If we find out in a few months time that some unknown problem means we are unlikely to see a vaccine, then the strategy will have to change.

hmmm wrote: »
    These large audience events will be banned until such time as the virus is under control - most likely with a vaccine, unless there is some other breakthrough. The events can be played behind closed doors at best.

Sporting organisations are not going to ignore government orders and go ahead with running large events. Attendance would plummet anyway, and I imagine insurance would also come into play.

It makes no sense to take large risks now while vaccines are going through trials and making good progress. If we find out in a few months time that some unknown problem means we are unlikely to see a vaccine, then the strategy will have to change.

Your entitled to your opinion and I respect that but I disagree that these events will be banned until a vacinne. For what its worth I dont see them starting up anytime soon and I dont expect to be in a stadium anywhere in 2020 but I dont think its feasible to wait for a vaccine. Behind closed doors is all well and good but in Irish sports for example ticket revenues are a huge aspect, without them its pointless and I know that from my own involvement in football here. My main worry with a vaccine is that the virus potential burnout will cause issues with phase 3 testing.
    But this is all for another thread and isn't a specific reference to pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

hmmm wrote: »

People will absolutely not be waiting for a vaccine before we go back to stadium sports. The Premier League is already looking at getting the players back to contact training. You can continue living in your little bubble, the rest of us would like to get on with our lives as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

They are closed.

i like sitting at the bar i actually prefer it.
    i don't need to explain it and tbh I cant . IT's just how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

People will absolutely not be waiting for a vaccine before we go back to stadium sports. The Premier League is already looking at getting the players back to contact training. You can continue living in your little bubble, the rest of us would like to get on with our lives as much as possible.
    It's not about living in a bubble, it's about living in reality. The Premier league training behind closed doors shows reality.

The emerging evidence is that large events with lots of people in enclosed spaces, particularly "loud" events with lots of talking and singing, are responsible for large clusters of cases. A government is not going to approve large stadium events while this virus is circulating. Sporting organisations are not going to ignore government health advice.

The topic of this thread is pubs. If you have a pub with good ventilation and people sitting and chatting at tables, the risk is considerably lower, particularly if you can somehow put lots of people outdoors. If it's an indoor pub, with little ventilation, singing and dancing and lots of people standing, that's unlikely to get the go-ahead. That's the reality until we have a vaccine or a treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

paw patrol wrote: »
    i like sitting at the bar i actually prefer it.
    i don't need to explain it and tbh I cant . IT's just how it is

It's the essence of a "public house" imo especially if you're on your own to go sit at the bar not knowing who may sit up next to you and strike up a conversation about sport, local gossip whatever its part of the joy of it... To sit in our own little units 2 metres apart with everyone watching everyone else in case they break the social distancing rules with minimal interaction with the other clientele shur we might as well stay at home I can't see much joy in it myself then again I'm old school

Advertisement