Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

People will absolutely not be waiting for a vaccine before we go back to stadium sports. The Premier League is already looking at getting the players back to contact training. You can continue living in your little bubble, the rest of us would like to get on with our lives as much as possible.

You won't be anywhere near those premier league games though, which was that poster's point. Large audiences are what will be barred for a while, not sport itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Will publicains bother with all the sports packs they have to pay for if they can only get a handful of people in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Poorside wrote: »
    Will publicains bother with all the sports packs they have to pay for if they can only get a handful of people in?

Most won't be afford to open let alone pay the 20k a year for sports. The average pub needs to sell 450 pints a month just to cover the cost of having the sports in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Your entitled to your opinion and I respect that but I disagree that these events will be banned until a vacinne. For what its worth I dont see them starting up anytime soon and I dont expect to be in a stadium anywhere in 2020 but I dont think its feasible to wait for a vaccine. Behind closed doors is all well and good but in Irish sports for example ticket revenues are a huge aspect, without them its pointless and I know that from my own involvement in football here. My main worry with a vaccine is that the virus potential burnout will cause issues with phase 3 testing.
    But this is all for another thread and isn't a specific reference to pubs.

Exactly. Businesses, sports and the arts can maybe survive 6 to 12 months without crowds but any longer is just not tenable. The vast majority would go bust and they'll be nothing there to go back to. Putting life on pause for 5 years in the hope of a vaccine is just madness. I don't think it will come to that anyway because even if a vaccine is not found I think anti-virals and treatments will likely be found that will seriously mitigate any risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

listermint wrote: »
    Who likes standing at the bar. Weird.
    how is it weird? you/someone could just as easily have said "who likes sitting at tables. Weird."

Go into any pub and people are doing both, I do both equally in pubs, no real preference. If there are more than 4 of us we would be at tables, if tables are available.

Can't see how it is weird, have you not seen it before? Preferring to be drinking in toilets would be weird!

There will be standing in pubs anyway, people will not be going to the toilets in wheelchairs. People will often stop and chat for a moment to a group of people at a table where an acquaintance is sitting, a pub not making much profit is not going to be able to afford adequate staff to police it. They will also not really want to be throwing out paying customers or giving themselves a name as a strict pub, those very concerned with the virus will likely not be in a pub in the first place, just as I find it rare to hear of complaints if someone smokes a joint in a beer garden. And no doubt there will be queues for toilets with people stopping and chatting.

• Advertisement

Irish people won't do queues for toilets. Towns and cities will be covered in rivers of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

on thurs I calculated based on HSE figures that we had about 1700 people currently sick with covid19 in ireland out of 4.5million people.
    that's nothing.

we are talking about changing our way of life completely for an illness that doesn't really effect people under 70 unless they are currently ill.
    Not to mention the ****ty number of cases we have anyway - mostly within hospitals and nursing homes.

the whole of society is being damaged for the very few.
    "until a vaccine is found" which will be at least a number of years if at all.

it makes no sense to me and its' unnerving how people lack the critical thinking to see this and are willing to throw away their lives for it.
    I'm kinda sad about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

paw patrol wrote: »
    on thurs I calculated based on HSE figures that we had about 1700 people currently sick with covid19 in ireland out of 4.5million people.
    that's nothing.
    Only because of the restrictions which were put in place. Take our foot off the brake too fast and that figure is likely to accelerate. I don't think most Irish people would really want to risk ICUs full of sick people just for the chance to get into a packed pub.
    we are talking about changing our way of life completely for an illness that doesn't really effect people under 70 unless they are currently ill.
    Simply not true. Even the people at very low risk of dying (e.g. under 30s) need to be wary of getting this because we don't know what the long-term implications are from a Covid infection.
    Good progress is being made on vaccine research. If this progress continues then it makes no sense to throw caution to the wind, but obviously if a vaccine looks like it will be delayed then we will have to change our strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

hmmm wrote: »
    Only because of the restrictions which were put in place. Take our foot off the brake too fast and that figure is likely to accelerate. I don't think most Irish people would really want to risk ICUs full of sick people just for the chance to get into a packed pub.

you say too fast - that's fine but I'll disagree.
    But hiding away like lepers waiting for a vaccine is insane. The risk for what you say given the current rates is minimal.
    1700 people out of 4.5 million - we aren't taking into account that so many of them are in hospitals or nursing homes, they aren't in the public domain.

How can you (not you specifically) justify restrictions in place if there is no virus?

I know this is a pub thread , but it applies so much more than pubs. We've one shot at life - I don't want to be wasting it cowering away like a gimp.
    Simply not true. Even the people at very low risk of dying (e.g. under 30s) need to be wary of getting this because we don't know what the long-term implications are from a Covid infection.

I don't agree, I don't know how you can say this.
    Covid19 has been knocking about since nov2019 - we have over 6 months of cases to look at.
    If there were severe after effects we'd be seeing something by now.

Of course there is a risk , there is risk with everything in life. I want to live my life rather than fretting over what may not happen. I'm not under 30 btw.
    Good progress is being made on vaccine research. If this progress continues then it makes no sense to throw caution to the wind, but obviously if a vaccine looks like it will be delayed then we will have to change our strategy.

I can't agree, wasting our lives over something proven to be not that bad.
    any vaccine (unless it already exists for another condition) that is lashed out in a year or even 2 will be rushed.
    Vaccine is a red herring im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The vaccine thing just isn't going to happen

Who would even take the vaccine without it been tested on ppl fir 2 years min. Vaccine itself could be worse than the disease.

We need to not miss our opportunity to open up this summer.

Itll be a long long winter if we cant get the ball moving as social distancing is a helluva lot harder during the dark wet months

Disease thrives indoors in cold humid climates, Ireland is prime space for a resurgence in the winter. Let's at least have a few months of life back this summer pleasev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Local lads around my area used to play poker once a week in the local,they are now meeting up at weekends at their own houses to play and drink away.They would have way more room in the pub because there is a big lounge in it that is never used ,unless there is a party on(which is rare these days)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Local lads around my area used to play poker once a week in the local,they are now meeting up at weekends at their own houses to play and drink away.They would have way more room in the pub because there is a big lounge in it that is never used ,unless there is a party on(which is rare these days)

What's the need to give them more space if they clearly don't care about the requirements to distance anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What's the need to give them more space if they clearly don't care about the requirements to distance anyway?

Only reporting what is going on,and I am sure its happening all over Ireland.The amount of house parties and BBQs that will take place over the summer until the pubs open will render the reason for keeping pubs closed pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would of loved too be killing time and sitting in a pub today :(

Things are improving in general and hopefully were over the worst of it

Bowl of chips and pints on the 29th June :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

snotboogie wrote: »
    because a year is really optimistic, it could well be 5+ years before a vaccine is properly rolled out.

if 5 years it what it takes to save a few thousand 80 year olds out of our 5 million population i'd say most will go along with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Will the restriction on off licence relax beyond the 10 pm closing time?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Will the restriction on off licence relax beyond the 10 pm closing time?

And the 10.30am opening time which is ****ing silly. Just back from the shops, have to go out again later for a bottle of wine for dinner even though I walked right past the bottle I wanted 10 minutes ago. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

paw patrol wrote: »
    that's nothing.

Not to mention the ****ty number of cases we have anyway - mostly within hospitals and nursing homes.

it makes no sense to me and its' unnerving how people lack the critical thinking to see this and are willing to throw away their lives for it.
    I'm kinda sad about that.

good god. Seriously. Is this still a thread about when pubs reopen.

Pubs have reopened in saw NZ or other countries. Very similar to the proposals here - table service/no standing at the bar/no music/tables prebooked etc

Different but ok

Not sure how workable in rural pub though with people coming in alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

We need to move on over the next few weeks.

Most u70s will be fine if they get it - similar to a bad flu.
    If you are over 70 have an underlying problem, are obese or smoke you NEED TO PROTECT YOURSELF.

Everybody else, put on a mask and get on with life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The Nal wrote: »

90% of the pubs in Dundalk show games on dodgy boxes. 1 Sky Box, rest dodgy boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The Nal wrote: »
    And the 10.30am opening time which is ****ing silly. Just back from the shops, have to go out again later for a bottle of wine for dinner even though I walked right past the bottle I wanted 10 minutes ago. :rolleyes:

It is crazy. I had to run to the offie a few nights as I misjudged the time.

We need to move on over the next few weeks.

Most u70s will be fine if they get it - similar to a bad flu.
    If you are over 70 have an underlying problem, are obese or smoke you NEED TO PROTECT YOURSELF.

Everybody else, put on a mask and get on with life.

unless you are medical doctor currently treating COV 19 patients that is not true. Every individual is different. Noone knows at this point in time what the long term effects of Cov 19. Some people recover but with kidney damage for example. Some people are asymptomatic. The whole point is you could knowingly infect someone else.

Yes to the mask and yes to getting on with life though.

before you ask my partner got confirmed positive this week - perfectly healthy and is 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

unless you are medical doctor currently treating COV 19 patients that is not true. Every individual is different. Noone knows at this point in time what the long term effects of Cov 19. Some people recover but with kidney damage for example. Some people are asymptomatic. The whole point is you could knowingly infect someone else.

Yes to the mask and yes to getting on with life though.

before you ask my partner got confirmed positive this week - perfectly healthy and is 42.

Sorry to hear that, but the vast majority of 42 year olds will only have very minor symptoms, if any. It's not ebola or AIDS.

Sorry to hear that, but the vast majority of 42 year olds will only have very minor symptoms, if any. It's not ebola or AIDS.

well I am glad for the majority and the majority are lucky. It hits every person differently is what I saying. He is garda and was spat on like a lot of his colleagues. Some required hospitalisation. Age doesnt guarantee anything is my point

But yes to masks and yes to getting on with stuff. Pubs will reopen I think and will be different for a while.

We still dont know if my family pub can reopen. Too far to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

well I am glad for the majority and the majority are lucky. It hits every person differently is what I saying. He is garda and was spat on like a lot of his colleagues. Some required hospitalisation. Age doesnt guarantee anything is my point

But yes to masks and yes to getting on with stuff. Pubs will reopen I think and will be different for a while.

We still dont know if my family pub can reopen. Too far to plan.

Sorry to hear about your partner, some right scum bags out there, best wishes to him and his colleagues.

As for pubs yes reopen when allowed, every business needs to be given the chance to operate with the restrictions that they face, for some it'll work for others it might not. It'll be different for a while but we'll get back to normal, well normal before March eventually.

I agree and thanks. I was in Dublin City yesterday for the first time since early March and it was like zombie land. Didnt feel safe at all. Businesses need to reopen.

I had to take the bus (wore a mask) and nope that was not good. Bus driver was very good enforcing social distancing but the amount of teens on the bus was freaky.

I know August is difficult for a lot of people (my parents are publicans) but this is only week 2 of phase 1. See what happens and then everyone can reopen safely.

Stuff like that is a risk for gardai but also any frontline staff. .....and publicans when the time comes. Some people are spitters when they talk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

YFlyer wrote: »
    It is crazy. I had to run to the offie a few nights as I misjudged the time.

Shop beside me will sell you drink after 10.30PM and they just scan it through the next day. Havn't been in before 10.30AM looking for some but im sure they would do same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I agree and thanks. I was in Dublin City yesterday for the first time since early March and it was like zombie land. Didnt feel safe at all. Businesses need to reopen.

I had to take the bus (wore a mask) and nope that was not good. Bus driver was very good enforcing social distancing but the amount of teens on the bus was freaky.

I know August is difficult for a lot of people (my parents are publicans) but this is only week 2 of phase 1. See what happens and then everyone can reopen safely.

Stuff like that is a risk for gardai but also any frontline staff. .....and publicans when the time comes. Some people are spitters when they talk.

Yeah businesses need to reopen asap, in my office in dublin today and took the bus in, no social distancing was too busy and he wasn't leaving people behind which I can understand too. A normal weekday service will fix that.

I've no issue with phase 1 and 2 sticking to a schedule but a quicker lifting I think might be warranted after that. My suggestion has been 3&4 to merge and bring 5 forward 3 weeks. Brings us into middle of July which I think is acceptable.

Advertisement