Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

rubadub wrote: »
    I would not be betting on getting 8 "nice creamy pints" in 8 random pubs though, plenty are substandard, including the guinness storehouse.

and 13euro is way too much for 8 guinness. I still have several cases of 67cent a cans ones from christmas, 5.33 for 8. Only wish I got loads more. You could be paying 10 times that price in some place in dublin city.

And I have never heard any guinness drinkers consider the cans to be 100% worthless, pure stupid to deem it "nothing"

I have seen all these pouring videos, 500ml cans into 568ml glasses, they all end up looking like pure sh ite if they actually let the video show them settled.

The best "pints" I have got from cans are by pouring the correct amount of liquid into the glass of a given size. Then you can get a proper compacted head at the top, with a creamy done rising above the pint rim. If the best barman in the world, with gas set up to his liking, perfect gas, pristine glass only got to pour 500ml from a guinness keg into a 568ml glass then it would also be shite.

Once you realise there is no fcuking way that 500ml is bizarrely & coincidentally in those "perfect pints" you get in bars then you will cop on what you have to do. Get a smaller glass, or as more do -get a can on the go which you pour into the glass first, to make up for the missing volume.

Holy fucck, it's just beer lmao. All this talk of bad pints etc is absolute cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The Nal wrote: »
    The Two Sisters is in Terenure. Also known as "The Four Tits".

Or just "The Tits"

The Two Skin And Blister's.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Hope someone can clear this up for me, can pubs with a restaurant licence open from the end of June? i.e can they sell alcohol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hope someone can clear this up for me, can pubs with a restaurant licence open from the end of June? i.e can they sell alcohol?

The simple answer is they will operate as a restaurant serving alcohol like all restaurants do and you will have to be having a meal. Of course not all pubs will be able to do it. That said lots of pubs had already rebranded as Gastropubs so were more like restaurants anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Holy fucck, it's just beer lmao. All this talk of bad pints etc is absolute cringe
    You could say the same about chicken fillets if somebody was talking about seasoning and cooking it & presenting it to the best of their ability "its only chicken, I boil mine for an hour and eat it plain". Fair enough if you have no interest.

I actually drink 95%+ of my guinness cans directly from the can, as you say, its only beer, you get the added enjoyment of seeing the look of horror on some peoples faces as they consider it sacrilege, its only cheaply made piss water bland beer at the end of the day.

I am just pointing out how to get a decent head if that is what you want, many people miss it. Its mad to see some people actually considering getting kegs, coolers and taps into their house just to get a pint of guinness.

I would sooner take the odds of one of my guinness poured from cans with the volume matched to the glass size which consistently results in a thick creamy head -than to have a pint poured by some lad in his house, I have had plenty in the past, and plenty of pints in pubs which are not as good as I can get from a can. Many are unaware of it, and would probably be more than happy with it if they tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The simple answer is they will operate as a restaurant serving alcohol like all restaurants do and you will have to be having a meal. Of course not all pubs will be able to do it. That said lots of pubs had already rebranded as Gastropubs so were more like restaurants anyway.

What is Carly going to think? yeah simons pretty cool, whenever he goes out he always has meat and gravy with his booze.

You could say the same about chicken fillets if somebody was talking about seasoning and cooking it & presenting it to the best of their ability "its only chicken, I boil mine for an hour and eat it plain". Fair enough if you have no interest.

I actually drink 95%+ of my guinness cans directly from the can, as you say, its only beer, you get the added enjoyment of seeing the look of horror on some peoples faces as they consider it sacrilege, its only cheaply made piss water bland beer at the end of the day.

I am just pointing out how to get a decent head if that is what you want, many people miss it. Its mad to see some people actually considering getting kegs, coolers and taps into their house just to get a pint of guinness.

I would sooner take the odds of one of my guinness poured from cans with the volume matched to the glass size which consistently results in a thick creamy head -than to have a pint poured by some lad in his house, I have had plenty in the past, and plenty of pints in pubs which are not as good as I can get from a can. Many are unaware of it, and would probably be more than happy with it if they tried it.

Ex Guinnuess drinker here. My first experience of draught cans was back in the very early 90s on a train from Westport. The cans were only 330ml. The buffet lad was a Guinness drinker and guided me through this new found thing. Luckily he had actual Guinness pint glasses on board. I bought two. As you say, I used both cans to pour the pint and it was just as good as a pint from a pub. No waste from the second can either. These days with 500ml cans, it's even easier. My Dad is a life long Guinness man. He pours the most beautiful pint from cans, using the start of a second can to complete the perfection.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    What is Carly going to think? yeah simons pretty cool, whenever he goes out he always has meat and gravy with his booze.

Eh what?

• Advertisement

Lol! Spot on. Could be some scenes ahead. Loads of pints, a starter, more pints and a portion of chips.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,164 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will there be a rule for Restraunts when they reopen that you cant go in for 'drink only'

What's stopping people staying at a table all day drinking pints

Some places have full bars

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will there be a rule for Restraunts when they reopen that you cant go in for 'drink only'

What's stopping people staying at a table all day drinking pints

Some places have full bars

I'm not sure, nor do I condone this action, but if someone sits at a table by themselves distanced from everyone else, what harm are they doing?

Not that I think drinkers should be allowed to be served exclusively drink in a restaurant, but a risk assessment is wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

No. And I find it hard to believe that A&E is that overwhelmed on Saturday nights due to solely drink-related incidents.

There must be some crazy **** going on on nights out that I am unaware of.

See hospitials in the sunny weather when the scumbags drink or a traveller drinking session not a good place

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am pretty sure this is already the law.

When eddie rockets started serving beer you had to have bought a "substantial meal" with it. I am not sure if there is a legal definition of this, but one of their burgers qualified with no chips etc, but the burger is big enough.

There are obvious loopholes, people serving up plates of slop which is not actually eaten. This was a common trick in nightclubs years ago, it was some licencing loophole to be serving food. The food was given out free, so I think it was worded that by buying a ticket to get into the nightclub you had also bought the food (i.e. it is not free, you bought it, up to you if you ate it, just like a restaurant). So in nightclubs years ago hungry bastards would be going around getting peoples entry tickets and getting multiple plates of cheap food. It would be stuff like chilli & rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

When eddie rockets started serving beer you had to have bought a "substantial meal" with it. I am not sure if there is a legal definition of this, but one of their burgers qualified with no chips etc, but the burger is big enough.

There are obvious loopholes, people serving up plates of slop which is not actually eaten. This was a common trick in nightclubs years ago, it was some licencing loophole to be serving food. The food was given out free, so I think it was worded that by buying a ticket to get into the nightclub you had also bought the food (i.e. it is not free, you bought it, up to you if you ate it, just like a restaurant). So in nightclubs years ago hungry bastards would be going around getting peoples entry tickets and getting multiple plates of cheap food. It would be stuff like chilli & rice.

This makes you realise how insane the alcohol licensing laws are in Ireland. Either ban it or allow us to buy it everywhere 24/7.

lol eating a plate of rice in a nightclub, thats hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

lol eating a plate of rice in a nightclub, thats hilarious.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!! I remember many’s the night in ‘the palace’ on Camden st as a poor student, huddled in the corner hopping off a chilli con carne from a cardboard plate. Saved on the chipper money!

never heard of food in a nightclub unless its a party (21st/18th/Christaining etc)

Cant imagine something like that happening now ??. Im not a fan of eating and drinking alcohol feels it defeats the purpose and can stop a night prematurely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

never heard of food in a nightclub unless its a party (21st/18th/Christaining etc)

Cant imagine something like that happening now ??. Im not a fan of eating and drinking alcohol feels it defeats the purpose and can stop a night prematurely

Diceys roll out a BBQ every night of the week until late

Diceys roll out a BBQ every night of the week until late

I think it was yourself who said some places still have lounge staff, mostly places in Dublin

Old fashion techniques still going in some places

I'm in my early 30s and it was way before my time, but I remember hearing about this in later years, was shocked to hear it as it's not widely known or spoke about.

My understanding is that it was part of the laws required to open late(that food had to be served) as opposed to someone using a restaurant license to operate a night club which is more what I took from a post above (due to the wording)

I might only eat after the night is over, would never eat in a pub on a night out. definitely wouldn't be seen savaging down a plate of rice in a nightclub lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah the youth.

You've missed the joys of a niteclub three in one. Late night licensing laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!! I remember many’s the night in ‘the palace’ on Camden st as a poor student, huddled in the corner hopping off a chilli con carne from a cardboard plate. Saved on the chipper money!

I remember this too, although not in that particular venue. Lights would come on, full blast, paper plates of chicken a la king for all. Most of it ended up on the floor. Then back to drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Some nightclubs were very devious and handed out salty sausages and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭KaneToad

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm not sure, nor do I condone this action, but if someone sits at a table by themselves distanced from everyone else, what harm are they doing?

Not that I think drinkers should be allowed to be served exclusively drink in a restaurant, but a risk assessment is wise.

None. Until they leave their table...

I'm in my early 30s and it was way before my time, but I remember hearing about this in later years, was shocked to hear it as it's not widely known or spoke about.

My understanding is that it was part of the laws required to open late(that food had to be served) as opposed to someone using a restaurant license to operate a night club which is more what I took from a post above (due to the wording)

It was all based on the "dinner/dance" concept. Ask your parents to ask their parents. Nothing to do with a restaurant license.

• Advertisement

Poorside wrote: »
    Some nightclubs were very devious and handed out salty sausages and chips.

I'm just about old enough to remember the paper/plastic plates of crap served.:D Never bothered myself. Much preferred to wait until we got back to a slummy late night fried chicken and chips joint.

Advertisement