Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Because maybe some people have greater aspirations with their work than your mates.

I actually don't even know what to say about that, what in the hell, we both have good jobs bringing in a nice income every week but our priorities are in such a way that money is not the be all of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

GoneHome wrote: »
    I actually don't even know what to say about that, what in the hell, we both have good jobs bringing in a nice income every week but our priorities are in such a way that money is not the be all of it

I never mentioned money.

I never mentioned money.

And indeed money has nothing to do with it, all we're concerned with is keeping out parents safe (70s and 80s) so if we don't see anyone else for the next 6 or 12 months we don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

And indeed money has nothing to do with it, all we're concerned with is keeping out parents safe (70s and 80s) so if we don't see anyone else for the next 6 or 12 months we don't mind

Some people feel a real sense of purpose with their work, and without it they are lost.

I respect your view but to see it as the only view in town is frankly, very arrogant.

A bit of compassion goes a long way.

This probably isn't the thread for you. Plenty of other threads where you would feel more at home.

EDIT: Ah just realised you're the 8km beach troll. Never mind. Hook line and sinker. Well played.

Can you understand though that other people do mind? That your way is ok because it's what's right for you and your family and others have a different struggle.

• Advertisement

EDIT: Ah just realised you're the 8km beach troll. Never mind. Hook line and sinker. Well played.

Look I don't really know what you mean by that, as I've explained before I live with my partner in rural Co Limerick, our nearest neighbour is half a mile away, our family lives three miles further on, I'm working from home with almost 12 months, my partner was working from home in an IT role but is now on the PUP payment, we're lucky in that we have a very small mortgage payment and self-sufficient in every way, can't see this situation changing this year but that's all fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Look I don't really know what you mean by that, as I've explained before I live with my partner in rural Co Limerick, our nearest neighbour is half a mile away, our family lives three miles further on, I'm working from home with almost 12 months, my partner was working from home in an IT role but is now on the PUP payment, we're lucky in that we have a very small mortgage payment and self-sufficient in every way, can't see this situation changing this year but that's all fine

Good for you but some of us need more from life and are going around the bend after a year of this.

Empathising with the perspective of others is a valuable skill you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

That’s good for you. You’re living with your partner and you’re within distance to see your family. Your job hasn’t changed and you can still pay your mortgage. You’re also extremely tone deaf. Not everyone is lucky enough to have your situation.

I wonder what the world will be like when it's all over? How will we feel? I think it will take a long time for some to adjust to being comfortable among people. Our society though, I dunno. It feels like something has been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m absolutely sick of it now , it’s actually ridiculous, and looking back on this in a few years time will show it for what it is really is an absolute joke and a farce.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    I’m absolutely sick of it now , it’s actually ridiculous, and looking back on this in a few years time will show it for what it is really is an absolute joke and a farce.

I hear you, it’s awful .
    Funnily enough it’s even hard with the extra hour of daylight . What do you do with it? Go for another walk ? I already go walking twice a day. I’m also worried about the effect on people in my family (who don’t live with me ), I know they’re struggling and it’s upsetting me.
    It’s hard to feel upbeat about anything

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

fin12 wrote: »

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier saying that they can’t get to glendalough to walk around the forest, miles from anyone, but can stand in a packed aldi for hours!

I’m WFH for a year now. I don’t see anyone, feel anxious all the time and hardly leave the house. I can’t take it anymore. Somethings going to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I just feel numb lately. I've heard of local people dying and just don't feel anything even though they were tragedies. I feel like I'm not part of the world anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Big gig at Barcelona over the w.e, hopefully we'll have gigs again soon in Ireland. I have tickets for an indoor gig in Vicar Street November not yet rescheduled. Cinema chain talking of reopening SD screenings. I really miss gigs, theatre and travel. Restrictions will be lifted soon and things will be brighter for some. Meanwhile I'm really looking forward to Dawn Chorus 2021...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I just feel numb lately. I've heard of local people dying and just don't feel anything even though they were tragedies. I feel like I'm not part of the world anymore.

Awhh SnugglyBear..totaly understandable to feel like that with everything going on so long...many here in the same boat as you can see in the posts..though if it is going on more than a couple of weeks especially if getting worse...
    it is time to touch base with some expert advice... like your GP or even anonymously with one of the organisations listed here to start.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058062109/64

Many peoples socials circles are closing in to a core few as that is all they can handle at the moment. the locals that died if they were tragedys like suicide/car accidents/unexpected deaths etc etc ...even minus the present situation may leave locals numb even pre covid..

And the lack of funerals that include the community practically and ritually in the expression of grief does not help. Maybe visit the graves when you can if you would have pre covid gone to their funeral or write a short note to their family which is different than a mass card or combine them.

Have you stayed in contact with family and friends and neighbours especially if you live alone... visits are allowed to check up on the mental health/care of someone.

You are part of this world even if you dont feel like it at the moment...you are here for a reason even if you dont know what for right now.

What sort of things do you like doing or have an interest in normally..have you found a way to do something similiar at the moment.?

Gps can prescribe stuff that isnt pills aswell...like counselling/courses/books/excercise including walking on a beach if they are creative and they think it can help someone stay grounded and in good mental health....

The irish hospice has loads of info on grief and how it affects people and communitys on their website and at the moment many are not just grieving for people but all the things they have lost in the past year..jobs.. oppertunities.. relarionships..a sense of being and doing..who they are...

Maybe ask a friend/family to call over for a care visit and talk to you sitting in the garden and tell them how you feel...saying it in the real world might help you ground yourself and feel like you still belong here in the real world.

take care...hope something in the above helps as a starting point.. keep posting here or the living alone thread or the bereavement thread even anonymously on the personal problems thread.

ps..try even standing on grass barefooted or even singing out loud or even jumping up and down shaking your fist at the sky in anger or petting a dog or breaking old crockery against a wall dousing yourself in cold water or just allowing yourself to cry or laugh or sing out loud even if you dont feel like it at first..then do the same with a neighbour/friend even if on opposite sides or over a wall/hedge....sounds strange I know but why not..gets the emotions moving and worse case sceanario in years to come..you can laugh at the crazy poster here who suggested it..let us know how you get on if you want to..

Wishing you well and sending blessings for your return to earth very soon...

And for anyone here wishing to try the jumping up and down excercise to ground and energise yourself a tune to help...that saying dont try this if you are like myself at the moment rehabbing a knee injury... but I am with you there in spirit bouncing up and down on the sofa :D

Oh and its totally ok to use any song you want..I would have a list but just thought of this first today.

Ps the above link for organisation to help with mental health didnt post correctly..so here it is again

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058062109/64

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I’m the same - I’m actually seeing crisis services, but it’s making me feel even worse. Having to go through this charade of multiple hand sanitising, signing in with a pen which then has to be put into the contaminated box, then talking to someone masked up and behind a Perspex screen. I think it’s damaging my psyche more than helping, I feel completely disconnected and alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Multipass wrote: »
    I’m the same - I’m actually seeing crisis services, but it’s making me feel even worse. Having to go through this charade of multiple hand sanitising, signing in with a pen which then has to be put into the contaminated box, then talking to someone masked up and behind a Perspex screen. I think it’s damaging my psyche more than helping, I feel completely disconnected and alone.

Ye I don't think it would do any good, the whole masking and all pisses me off. Its not human.

Anytime I see friends or family we just rant about everything, not sure if that's good or not. I met a co worker the other day in a supermarket, we ranted for 10 minutes.I suppose its good to meet people who feel the same and get things off your chest.

With regards hobbies and that I find it hard to concentrate on anything. I've tried taking up reading but found it impossible. I exercise every day and keep the house tidy but that's about as productive as I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ye I don't think it would do any good, the whole masking and all pisses me off. Its not human.

Anytime I see friends or family we just rant about everything, not sure if that's good or not. I met a co worker the other day in a supermarket, we ranted for 10 minutes.I suppose its good to meet people who feel the same and get things off your chest.

With regards hobbies and that I find it hard to concentrate on anything. I've tried taking up reading but found it impossible. I exercise every day and keep the house tidy but that's about as productive as I get.

Sounds a lot like me SnuggyBear! All I can switch off with a lot of the time is doing exercise (which doesn’t require a lot of concentration as it’s just walking for me!) and watching Netflix sometimes. I’ve been reading a little bit it’s hit or miss as to whether I’ll be able to take in what I’m actually reading on any given day. I just feel like life is completely passing me by. I’ll be 36 in May and my life is not moving changing in any positive way. I’m just a bit numb to it all at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

I've hastily created an account (hence, the typo - should be a cup of tea not te!) just to add my voice to this chorus and say I am feeling exactly the same. I'm around same age as you leahyl and saw your posts a few weeks ago. I'm in the same boat. I'm single, mid 30s, living at home. I'm actually living, working and sleeping in the one room in my parent's house. I am saving very hard but house prices are going up unfortunately. Sometimes I feel optimistic, sometimes I feel so far off evfr buying a place. I have good and bad days with this whole pandemic over the past year but please don't dismiss me as a whinger and just let me say that I feel a real keen sense of my life slipping away. I know it's serious. I know people have died and are struggling with long covid. I know. My life was my social life. I had joined a band and we were shaping up to do live gigs and record. I loved going out and seeing local bands, meeting new people, trying to meet a partner. It's all gone for over a year now. What's my purpose now? I try not to dwell on it too much but when I stand back and look at myself now I just wonder what I'm even here for anymore. I find it hard to get motivated about the band's songs now. We keep in touch but we don't know when we can meet up again and work together or when can we ever do a live gig so I find myself practising less. I used to write songs but just can't because when can we ever meet up to record them? I guess I won't be having children now either. Time is running out. I miss the office too. For an extrovert like me I just loved being around people every day.

And I get what you're saying Snuggy Bear. I don't completely understand why I have such issues with masks but I do. I sometimes just have to get out of situations where people are wearing them, almost like I'm having a bit of a meltdown which is not at all like me. So I end up avoiding places where you have to wear them which is nearly everywhere now and hence become more secluded. I found mind.org.uk good to read for this particular problem as prior to reading their page I felt like everyone else seems to have taken to masks and I'm some sort of weirdo because I just can't. I wish there was a bit more compassion on that front. I genuinely seem to have some sort of psychological issue with them.

Yeah, what's the point, folks? Really struggling to see it at this stage.

• Advertisement

I've hastily created an account (hence, the typo - should be a cup of tea not te!) just to add my voice to this chorus and say I am feeling exactly the same. I'm around same age as you leahyl and saw your posts a few weeks ago. I'm in the same boat. I'm single, mid 30s, living at home. I'm actually living, working and sleeping in the one room in my parent's house. I am saving very hard but house prices are going up unfortunately. Sometimes I feel optimistic, sometimes I feel so far off evfr buying a place. I have good and bad days with this whole pandemic over the past year but please don't dismiss me as a whinger and just let me say that I feel a real keen sense of my life slipping away. I know it's serious. I know people have died and are struggling with long covid. I know. My life was my social life. I had joined a band and we were shaping up to do live gigs and record. I loved going out and seeing local bands, meeting new people, trying to meet a partner. It's all gone for over a year now. What's my purpose now? I try not to dwell on it too much but when I stand back and look at myself now I just wonder what I'm even here for anymore. I find it hard to get motivated about the band's songs now. We keep in touch but we don't know when we can meet up again and work together or when can we ever do a live gig so I find myself practising less. I used to write songs but just can't because when can we ever meet up to record them? I guess I won't be having children now either. Time is running out. I miss the office too. For an extrovert like me I just loved being around people every day.

And I get what you're saying Snuggy Bear. I don't completely understand why I have such issues with masks but I do. I sometimes just have to get out of situations where people are wearing them, almost like I'm having a bit of a meltdown which is not at all like me. So I end up avoiding places where you have to wear them which is nearly everywhere now and hence become more secluded. I found mind.org.uk good to read for this particular problem as prior to reading their page I felt like everyone else seems to have taken to masks and I'm some sort of weirdo because I just can't. I wish there was a bit more compassion on that front. I genuinely seem to have some sort of psychological issue with them.

Yeah, what's the point, folks? Really struggling to see it at this stage.

Great post , you’re definitely not alone . We all see life slipping past as we sit at home with almost no freedom or choice left , a year gone , ridiculously over the top restrictions that are having a huge affect on most of us . It’s very hard for any age group , I’m older than you, but I really sympathize with you and the stage of life you’re at . It’s like being at a crossroads but all the lights are red.

Hang in. I hope people stand up soon and shout “Enough! Our lives matter too... just as much as old and vulnerable people” . I’m sorry if that offends anyone but that’s how I feel at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

I think at this stage everyone has has enough and hardly anyone now will be taking a blind bit of notie of any restrictions, i certainly wont, i did like everyone for a long time, but these parasites in NPHET and Government have destroyed this country and the knock on effect as we are seeing is far greater or should i say worse than this virus is ever likely to be.

so my asdvise is folks, do your own thing, ignore them, they couldnt care less about us the people, that is abundently clear at this stage of the game!!

Thanks, sweetmaggie. You articulate precisely how I feel actually - stuck at the crossroads with all of the lights red. They flashed amber a bit last summer but mostly red since. I suppose I felt like this in my 20s when the recession hit but the difference was even during my darkest days of 9 months of unemployment I could still go to see a film on Bargain Wednesday or I could hug the one drink all night long or maybe pull a can or two of cider out of my handbag, go see a local band for free, chat to people, have a hug, have a kiss, experience human touch. I mean I thought the recession was bad and standing in that massive dole queue to sign my name was bad but this time I have nothing to give me respite. I'm employed which is one thing to be grateful for but I'm suffocating in this room. I'm worked to the bone with the remote working. Longer hours. Live, work, sleep in this one little room. No meet ups, no smiles (all faces covered), no touch, no banter.

Thanks for all of the likes. You know that actually does give me some hope and comfort to know that you all must understand what I'm feeling and saying. I made the most of the cards I was dealt in my 20s with the recession and the wealth transfer but in my 30s I'm fearful of this life of mine never lifting off the launchpad the longer this goes on. I was on the cusp of doing the one thing I'd always wanted - to be in a band and entertain people! I was so happy for a few months. I suppose I am generally an extrovert with a bit of a wild side and the inertia and stagnation is killing the brightness that has characterised me. I love people and having a chat but the world is feeling more and more alien. No one wants to talk anymore. That was happening anyway I suppose but it's worse now. I feel like I am 'other' now. It's as if I don't belong here anymore. And I just can't get my head around being so afraid of leaving this place... Has it really been so good that you'd be scared to leave. We are all going to. Every single one of us will die eventually. Well, I'll stop there. I just want to be allowed to live because this is all we have, this one life and I am too keenly aware that it is so fleeting and so precious. Anyway, thanks again, folks. I wish you all the best.

Cup of te...I really feel for you as a musician apart from those very ill we have definetly got the raw end of this... Not good at expressing in writing how it has impacted myself but dont give up...what instrument do you play and do you song write as well?

Thanks, speckle. I won't derail the thread with chatter about myself but since you ask I'll just say this one little blurb before I disappear... Well, what would the wild one play? The drums of course :-P you know what, now is as good a time as any to make some noise. No neighbours to worry about! It's hard writing songs when you can't play another instrument properly but I bought a little Casio keyboard and taught myself the basics and have a few band songs that I'm pleased with. I should bury my head back in the music really. Maybe you should as well. I hope you get back to playing as well. They always make provisions for sports in the easing of restrictions but nowt for music and for us, well, it's probably like our yoga or meditation. It's your therapy and you're not allowed play it with others now. Au revoir.

Very true..tipping awsy here... maybe some day we will get a chance to jam.. might see you over on the music thread or check out the games forum for music games.. keep on keep on bangin'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think at this stage everyone has has enough and hardly anyone now will be taking a blind bit of notie of any restrictions, i certainly wont, i did like everyone for a long time, but these parasites in NPHET and Government have destroyed this country and the knock on effect as we are seeing is far greater or should i say worse than this virus is ever likely to be.

so my asdvise is folks, do your own thing, ignore them, they couldnt care less about us the people, that is abundently clear at this stage of the game!!
    Before vulnerable people have had a chance to be vaccinated, I think this is pretty selfish. What are we supposed to do when idiots just do their own thing and come up right beside you in supermarkets and the likes? People complain about the restrictions, which we all hate, but what about the mental effort to try to exist "normally" when your own life is at stake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Before vulnerable people have had a chance to be vaccinated, I think this is pretty selfish. What are we supposed to do when idiots just do their own thing and come up right beside you in supermarkets and the likes? People complain about the restrictions, which we all hate, but what about the mental effort to try to exist "normally" when your own life is at stake?

I’m glad I’m not vulnerable in this pandemic as I feel a lot of people are starting to resent the vulnerable. I saw a comment replying to an older person online written by the mother of a baby saying that the older person had lived their life & had their memories but the poor baby is suffering because of masks. I’m a young mother myself & I was horrified, imagine telling anybody they’ve “lived their life”. I can imagine it’s very frustrating when people won’t even make the non sacrifice of giving others space in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

And what about people living homes in complete fear , domestic abuse ? Are u not selfish asking for people like that continue to be locked up in those conditions . Their lives are at stake by being stuck at home .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Sorry what would vulnerable people even be doing in a supermarket???

Advertisement