Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lisha wrote: »
    Thank you. While logically I know you are right, it hurts that family members don’t see it this way and think I’m just being arkward in keeping the cousins apart. I don’t have a great relationship with my siblings and normally I go out of way to get the cousins together but I just feel that the current ph rules are too important.

Very well done. Lisha! it is a cheering to read your posts. Stay strong! You are doing right. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Lisha wrote: »
    Thank you. While logically I know you are right, it hurts that family members don’t see it this way and think I’m just being arkward in keeping the cousins apart. I don’t have a great relationship with my siblings and normally I go out of way to get the cousins together but I just feel that the current ph rules are too important.

I think the best way to look at it is that your parents and siblings are also under the same pressures that we've all been under over the past year. That kind of pressure can make them more defensive and just generally less understanding or sympathetic than they might normally be. And while that can be very difficult if you are the brunt of that lack of understanding, you might take some comfort that their reaction to you is probably more of a reflection of how they are coping with the current circumstances and not a reflection of the decisions you have made at all. Your siblings probably knew they were taking a risk having the households mixing, and didn't like the risk being highlighted by your choice to stay away.

I think you made the right decision. And perhaps your siblings and parents will also see that in time. And maybe they won't, but they'll also get over it in a while too. Just try to continue to be sympathetic to them, while being comforted that you made the right decision for your own family, and didn't bow to outside pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I ordered from Dr Hemp Me yesterday; they're an Irish company that seem to have a good reputation. Will see how it goes as I've never tried CBD but hoping it helps with getting to sleep at night.

Hi just wondered how you got on with the CBD and has it been helping you with sleep?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

zweton wrote: »
    Hi just wondered how you got on with the CBD and has it been helping you with sleep?

i tried to respond to your private message mate but its saying your inbox was full

https://www.endoca.com/
    https://nuleafnaturals.com/

2 of the most recognised brands, nu leaf in particular is excellent, not cheap but you pay for the best

• Advertisement

https://www.endoca.com/
    https://nuleafnaturals.com/

2 of the most recognised brands, nu leaf in particular is excellent, not cheap but you pay for the best

Do you find it good for sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

There's been a slight improvement I think. Not back to how I would fall asleep easily before the pandemic but that's probably down to not waking up at 7am to go to work during the week. My anxiety has eased off anyway so certainly worth trying.

Do you find it good for sleep?

yeah the nu leaf especially, i take the medium strength, not cheap but effective for anxiety and sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Could a mod check this post and transfer the list to the first post which has a list on mental health orgs and check for duplicates..thanks..it is from the new gov.ie document pdf

ONLINE COUNSELLING AND SUPPORT
    Minding Your Wellbeing: Free series of online video resources to learn and practice key
    elements of mental wellbeing such as mindfulness, gratitude, self-care and resilience from HSE Health and Wellbeing. Read more about the Minding your Wellbeing Programme at
    https://www2.hse.ie/healthy-you/minding-your-wellbeing-programme.html.

MyMind: Online counselling service including free appointments for people directly affected by Covid-19. Contact hq@mymind.org. Visit mymind.org.

Shine: Remote support and an outreach service to people who use Shine services by phone and
    email. Contactphil@shine.ie. Visit shine.ie/covid-19.

Suicide or Survive (SOS): Free online wellness workshops and programmes.
    Visit suicideorsurvive.ie.

Stress Control: Stress control classes to learn new stress management skills and tips for minding your mental health from HSE Health and Wellbeing. The programme is for 3 weeks on Mondays and Thursdays and recommences at varying intervals. Visit https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/healthwellbeing/about-us/free-online-stress-control-classes.html for more information.

Clanwilliam Institute: Individual, couple and family therapy sessions online and phone.
    Contact reception@clanwilliam.ie. Visit clanwilliam.ie

Helplink Mental Health: Free low-cost online counselling services and educational resources.
    Visit helplink.ie.

Minding Your Mental Health: A series of multilingual video messages presented by doctors and other health professionals now living and working in Ireland. The videos are available in Romanian, Polish, Arabic, English, French, Lithuanian, Russian, Irish and Portuguese. Visit translateireland.ie

Grow Mental Health Recovery: Weekly online peer support groups. Podcasts, practical
    resources and information. Contact info@grow.ie. Information line 1890 474 474. Visit grow.ie

PHONE, EMAIL AND TEXT SUPPORT

Samaritans: Emotional support to anyone in distress or struggling to cope.
    Contact jo@samaritans.ie. Freephone 116 123 every day 24 hours a day. Visit Samaritans
    Ireland.

Pieta House: Telephone and text-based support counselling for people who are suicidal or
    engaging in self-harm. Freephone 1800 247 247 every day 24 hours a day. Text HELP to
    51444 - standard message rates apply. Visit pieta.ie.

Aware: Information, support and peer groups for people experiencing anxiety, mild to moderate
    depression, bipolar disorder and mood-related conditions. Support also for friends and family
    members. Contact supportmail@aware.ie. Freephone support line 1800 80 48 48 10am to
    10pm every day. Visit aware.ie

Irish Hospice Foundation Bereavement Support Line: A freephone bereavement support line
    providing information, connection, comfort and support. Phone 1800 807 077 Monday to Friday
    from 10am to 1pm. Visit hospicefoundation.ie for more information.

LGBT Ireland: Online instant messaging support. Please see website for opening hours.
    Contact info@lgbt.ie for support or information. LGBT+ helpline 1890 929 539 every day.

Gender identity family support line 01 907 3707. Visit lgbt.ie

Mental Health Ireland: Information and support for people who experience mental health
    difficulties. Contact info@mentalhealthireland.ie. Information line 01 284 1166 from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Visit mentalhealthireland.ie

HSE Mental Health Recovery Colleges: Recovery education colleges and services provide mental
    health recovery education. Timetables have been developed to support people through recovery education. Visit https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/mental-health-
    services/advancingrecoveryireland/recoverycolleges/.

The Irish Cancer Society Support Line: A supportive information service staffed by experienced cancer nurses where anyone concerned about cancer can get trusted information and advice about any type of cancer, including in relation to concerns about the current pandemic. Contact SupportLine@IrishCancer.ie Freephone 1800 200 700 (Monday to Friday, from 9am to
    5pm). Visit https://www.cancer.ie/cancer-information-and-support/cancer-support/find-
    support/support-line.

Together 4 Cancer Concern: Telephone support with counsellors. Links to nationwide community cancer support centres and a team of clinical psychologists. Freephone 1800 200 700 Visit the https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/5/cancer/news/together%204%20cancer%20concern.
    html for more information.

ADHD Ireland: Support and information for young people and adults with ADHD and their carers and families. Contact info@adhdireland.ie. Phone 01 874 8349 from 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. Visit adhdireland.ie.

Inclusion Ireland: The National Association for People with an Intellectual Disability. Easy-read
    guides on coronavirus. These include one about good mental health for people with intellectual
    disabilities. Visit inclusionireland.ie.

Exchange House Ireland National Traveller Mental Health Service: Telephone and online
    services and supports are available while face-to-face and group services have stopped.
    Phone 01 8721094 and press 1 from 9am to 5pm every day. Visit exchangehouse.ie.

Traveller Counselling Service: Online counselling to members of the Traveller community who
    need support during this time. Visit travellercounselling.ie.

Bodywhys: A range of services (helpline, support groups, online groups, email and family
    programmes) for adults and young people with eating disorders, and their families.
    Helpline 01 2107906 Monday, Wednesday and Sunday from 7.30pm to 9.30pm and Saturday
    from 10.30am to 12.30pm. Contact alex@bodywhys.ie for support. Visit bodywhys.ie.

Union of Students in Ireland: Mental health information, resources and networks for students, from the Union of Students in Ireland. Visit usi.ie

Practitioner Health: Confidential support and help for doctors, dentists and pharmacists.
    Contact confidential@practitionerhealth.ie. Phone 01 297 0396. Visit practitionerhealth.ie.

College of Psychiatrists in Ireland: Short videos for families of young people with mental illness.
    These include measures that can help during the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit
    https://www.irishpsychiatry.ie/covid-19-information-and-updates-from-cpsychi/covid-19-
    supporting-families-of-young-people-with-mental-illness/.

Minding Creative Minds: Free 24/7 wellbeing & support programme for the Irish Creative
    Sector, including counselling. Phone 1800 814 244 Visit mindingcreativeminds.ie

Connect Counselling: An anonymous professional telephone counselling service for survivors of physical, emotional and sexual abuse including former residents of Mother and Baby Homes.
    Freephone 1800 477 477 Monday to Sunday from 6pm to 10pm.
    Visit www.connectcounselling.ie.

SUPPORTS FOR PARENTS, CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE

Jigsaw: Mental health support and advice to young people aged 12 to 25 years old and
    parents or concerned adults. Freephone 1800 544729 from 1pm to 5pm Monday to Friday. Text
    CALL ME to 086 180 3880 with your preferred day and time for a call. help@jigsaw.ie - replies
    9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Visit jigsaw.ie or jigsawonline.ie

Childline (ISPCC): Ireland's 24-hour national listening service for young people up to the age of 18. Freephone 1800 666 666 any time. Text 50101 from 10am to 4pm every day. Chat online
    at childline.ie anytime.

Text 50808: A free 24/7 text service, providing everything from a calming chat to immediate
    support for people going through mental health or emotional crisis. Text HELLO to 50808,
    anytime day or night. Visit www.text50808.ie for more information.

Turn2Me: Free online counselling and online support groups for young people (aged 12 to17)
    and adults. Peer support groups for frontline workers and professionals. Visit turn2me.ie

BeLonG To Youth Services: Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex
    (LGBTI+) young people in Ireland. Text LGBTI+ to 086 1800 280 to chat confidentially with a
    trained crisis volunteer anytime - standard SMS rates may apply. While face-to-face services are
    closed, information, referral and advice is available by email, SMS, phone call or video
    conference. Visit belongto.org for more information.

SpunOut.ie: Articles and information for young people on many different topics including mental health. Text SPUNOUT to 086 1800 280 to talk to a trained volunteer - standard message rates may apply. Visit spunout.ie

Barnardos: Telephone support for parents in response to the challenges during the COVID-19
    pandemic. Freephone 1800 910 123 from 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday. Barnardos also
    provide a children's bereavement helpline service. Telephone 01 473 2110 from 10am to 12pm Monday to Thursday. Visit barnardos.ie

SUPPORTS FOR OLDER PEOPLE

Alone: COVID-19 support line for older people. Phone 0818 222 024 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Visit alone.ie

The Alzheimer Society of Ireland: Information and emotional support and information on
    supports and services. Freephone 1800 341 341 Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm and Saturday
    10am to 4pm. Email helpline@alzheimer.ie. The Dementia Resource Hub provides sign-posting to information and on-line resources for people with dementia, families and carers.
    Visit alzheimer.ie or understandtogether.ie

Grow Mental Health: Weekly online peer support groups. Podcasts, practical resources and
    information. Visit grow.ie. Email info@grow.ie. Information line 1890 474 474.

Seniorline: Confidential listening service for older people provided by trained older volunteers.
    Call 1800 804 591 from 10am to 10pm everyday. Visit thirdageireland.ie

Age Friendly Ireland: A list of all Local Authority Community Response Forums and their contact
    helpline numbers to support vulnerable members of communities affected by COVID-19
    restrictions. Visit agefriendlyireland.ie

yeah the nu leaf especially, i take the medium strength, not cheap but effective for anxiety and sleep.

which one is the medium strength one? oil or capsules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not feeling great today

Sick of this lock down and wasting away my 30s, I can't do anything more than I'm doing already in terms of the virus transmission.

The amount of negatively around Ireland is out of hand, from the few videos and stories I've seen our neighbours in the UK are so happy to have an end in sight and us hear listening to experts and our leaders saying it could be a long time before we back to normal life, four waves, VARIANTS emerging this that and the other

I can't wait to get back close to normal, seeing more of my family, getting back to work having that routine, going for a walk and having the ability to go in and browse shops and visiting the pubs for a bit of R&R. I can accept concerts won't be back for another while but having a few normal things for distraction helps with that blow

The Irish government are a ****ing job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

So sick of seeing this type of attitude. Just because you aren’t finding lockdown difficult doesn’t mean others are finding it easy.

I don't know why you're saying that but my point was to just take the positives from what is undoubtely a difficult time for us all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sunset in Dublin today will be 17:01 (a little later further west in the country).
    First time since October 27th that it's been after 5pm.

We are gradually inching towards long evenings, every day is a few minutes more.
    Minor, but something that might help people.

Sunset in Dublin today is 18.00. Yayyyy.
    In just 4 weeks time this will be ~19.00. Then the clock goes forward so it'll be 20.00.
    It'll still be functionality bright until way after 8.30pm, near enough 9pm in the west of the country.
    Vaccines are coming, and restrictions will be lifted, though the timescale of that is still not completely clear.

But the darkness of winter is very nearly over, so hang in there folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Feeling pretty down in myself at the moment. Had a silly argument with my mum the other night that escalated into something bigger and she ended up more or less saying that I hadn't tried hard enough to buy a house in the last few years (I'm still living at home and have been looking all the time but there's very little supply) - I never thought for a second that she felt this way as they've always been happy having me here. It's not like I don't want to move out, believe me I do, I'm at my wits end and just trying to keep a normal everyday routine going at the moment cos it's just so difficult with Covid. I feel like I don't have suppport from anyone in my life :(. I'm working from home also. I have looked after them for the past year, doing the shopping and making sure they are keeping well and I just feel like nothing good is going to happen for me at this stage - in other words, if I don't find somewhere soon or meet someone nice for a relationship (still single too), I'll just be stuck in a rut forever.

I've been trying every technique under the sun in order to look after my mental health, but it's always in the back of my mind that I'm still living at home at 35. I feel like a freak in all honesty :( Who would even want me?! 35 year old woman living at home with mummy and daddy. I've known nothing else and I just want to have my own space now. Covid has just added more upset,worry and uncertainty to all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

leahyl wrote: »
    Feeling pretty down in myself at the moment. Had a silly argument with my mum the other night that escalated into something bigger and she ended up more or less saying that I hadn't tried hard enough to buy a house in the last few years (I'm still living at home and have been looking all the time but there's very little supply) - I never thought for a second that she felt this way as they've always been happy having me here. It's not like I don't want to move out, believe me I do, I'm at my wits end and just trying to keep a normal everyday routine going at the moment cos it's just so difficult with Covid. I feel like I don't have suppport from anyone in my life :(. I'm working from home also. I have looked after them for the past year, doing the shopping and making sure they are keeping well and I just feel like nothing good is going to happen for me at this stage - in other words, if I don't find somewhere soon or meet someone nice for a relationship (still single too), I'll just be stuck in a rut forever.

I've been trying every technique under the sun in order to look after my mental health, but it's always in the back of my mind that I'm still living at home at 35. I feel like a freak in all honesty :( Who would even want me?! 35 year old woman living at home with mummy and daddy. I've known nothing else and I just want to have my own space now. Covid has just added more upset,worry and uncertainty to all this.

Sorry to hear ur having a hard time Leahyl, sometimes parents can be so insensitive, like there’s very few would genuinely choose to continue living at home over having their own place if there was the alternative, u are not a freak , there are over half a million adults still living at home, thank the nasty f*cking government for why ur in the position u are and also re meeting someone , the right person won’t give a f*ck that ur living at home , good chance u will meet someone in the same boat. As long as ur saving and making a plan goal to get ur own place eventually no one should have an issue with that. Best of luck , try some online dating or something , I’m single myself but gone on a few dates recently. There are lovely / nice people out there. I suppose all u can do is just try.

fin12 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear ur having a hard time Leahyl, sometimes parents can be so insensitive, like there’s very few would genuinely choose to continue living at home over having their own place if there was the alternative, u are not a freak , there are over half a million adults still living at home, thank the nasty f*cking government for why ur in the position u are and also re meeting someone , the right person won’t give a f*ck that ur living at home , good chance u will meet someone in the same boat. As long as ur saving and making a plan goal to get ur own place eventually no one should have an issue with that. Best of luck , try some online dating or something , I’m single myself but gone on a few dates recently. There are lovely / nice people out there. I suppose all u can do is just try.

Thanks fin12, the thing is my parents have never had a problem with me still living here and even like that I'm here but they realise that I do want my own space also, but I certaintly didn't think my mother thought I wasn't "trying" enough....I mean it's buying a house, not doing the shopping. Nothing has aligned for me in my life for the past few years - professionally, I have a secure job but I've been in the same dept for the past 13 years since I started. I tried for a promtion in my current role and did an interview for somewhere else in the company and was unsuccessful in both. Then there's my personal situation, as I outloined already, so I'm just feeling pretty useless. I don't have any direction, it just seems to be panic most of the time that I am running out of time for a lot of things to happen for me and before I know it I'll be 40 and still in the same place. Then Covid....well, don't even get me started. I can't honestly do online dating at the moment (with living with my parents and them being over 70) but tbh I don't really want to either, I've done it in the past and it's pretty soul destroying. I would like so much just to know more people and meet people through others and I had plans to do more social activities before Covid kicked in.

I'm always hearing about how hard it it is for couples with children who are working from home and trying to juggle everything. It's hard for single people too who have been stopped in their tracks from trying to move forward in their personal life.

Anyway, I just needed to vent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks fin12, the thing is my parents have never had a problem with me still living here and even like that I'm here but they realise that I do want my own space also, but I certaintly didn't think my mother thought I wasn't "trying" enough....I mean it's buying a house, not doing the shopping. Nothing has aligned for me in my life for the past few years - professionally, I have a secure job but I've been in the same dept for the past 13 years since I started. I tried for a promtion in my current role and did an interview for somewhere else in the company and was unsuccessful in both. Then there's my personal situation, as I outloined already, so I'm just feeling pretty useless. I don't have any direction, it just seems to be panic most of the time that I am running out of time for a lot of things to happen for me and before I know it I'll be 40 and still in the same place. Then Covid....well, don't even get me started. I can't honestly do online dating at the moment (with living with my parents and them being over 70) but tbh I don't really want to either, I've done it in the past and it's pretty soul destroying. I would like so much just to know more people and meet people through others and I had plans to do more social activities before Covid kicked in.

I'm always hearing about how hard it it is for couples with children who are working from home and trying to juggle everything. It's hard for single people too who have been stopped in their tracks from trying to move forward in their personal life.

Anyway, I just needed to vent!

I’m married with children WFH & while it’s hard practically speaking I think it’s much much harder for people who feel their life isn’t progressing because of Covid.

I’d try not to take what your mum said to heart too much. She said it in the heat of an argument. It may not have come from a bad place but it was badly expressed. She probably wants to see you get the things you want in life.

You are being held back by the market & by Covid. However, I think for your own sake you need to try to change your current mentality. You will still be in the same position at 40 if you are not pro active. I don’t see anything wrong with your position btw but it’s not what you want.

Are you doing everything & I mean everything you can right now to achieve your goals. If you went for two roles & didn’t get them internally, did you look externally? Have you gone through all your expenses - phone bill, insurance, the lot to make sure you are getting the best deal? What about tax refunds on health expenses if any etc.

On relationships, I’m only very sightly older than you & I have a friend who went from boyfriend to marriage & baby in just over a year. I have another who dated different people for 1-2 years with those relationship generally ended by the BF for years & has recently met a guy who is the best of the lot by far & they are getting married. I doubt these stories are uncommon. Are you on Tinder, Bumble etc. Hard in Covid but no harm in having chats.

Btw the Guardian Lifestyle have had a few good articles about the impacts of Covid on people in their 30s in similar situations recently, might be worth a read.

Overall I have a lot of empathy for you but I’d really encourage you to do everything you can even in Covid to get what you want out of life.

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I’m married with children WFH & while it’s hard practically speaking I think it’s much much harder for people who feel their life isn’t progressing because of Covid.

I’d try not to take what your mum said to heart too much. She said it in the heat of an argument. It may not have come from a bad place but it was badly expressed. She probably wants to see you get the things you want in life.

You are being held back by the market & by Covid. However, I think for your own sake you need to try to change your current mentality. You will still be in the same position at 40 if you are not pro active. I don’t see anything wrong with your position btw but it’s not what you want.

Are you doing everything & I mean everything you can right now to achieve your goals. If you went for two roles & didn’t get them internally, did you look externally? Have you gone through all your expenses - phone bill, insurance, the lot to make sure you are getting the best deal? What about tax refunds on health expenses if any etc.

On relationships, I’m only very sightly older than you & I have a friend who went from boyfriend to marriage & baby in just over a year. I have another who dated different people for 1-2 years with those relationship generally ended by the BF for years & has recently met a guy who is the best of the lot by far & they are getting married. I doubt these stories are uncommon. Are you on Tinder, Bumble etc. Hard in Covid but no harm in having chats.

Btw the Guardian Lifestyle have had a few good articles about the impacts of Covid on people in their 30s in similar situations recently, might be worth a read.

Overall I have a lot of empathy for you but I’d really encourage you to do everything you can even in Covid to get what you want out of life.

Thanks for your reply. I’m not sure what you mean about looking at my bills and tax refunds? If you mean with regard to buying a house, I actually have quite a healthy deposit as I’ve been saving for a long time but house prices have once again moved outside what I can afford for the most part and supply isn’t there anyway. I won’t be leaving the place I work, as it’s a permanent position and more or less a guaranteed job for life. I do like the company I work for (it’s public sector) but I need a change of area within the company. I know I am good at what I do but I just don’t have a lot of confidence to show that to other people which I think is my main problem there - I have recently engaged with a free coaching service in the company so hopefully the person I’m going to be meeting with will be able to open my eyes more to what I would like to do.

It’s great to hear the story about your friend but i have extremely limited experience relationship wise so I honestly can’t see that happening for me, but who knows! I’d have to get used to even being in a relationship for a year never mind getting married and having a child within that time frame! All that is just a pipe dream for me really and not something I can picture myself actually having. I honestly have no idea how I got where I am - I think a lot of it is just extremely low self confidence/self-esteem. Anyway this thread isn’t all about Leahyl’s problems so I will leave it there.

Thanks again for your advice :-)

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I think it’s much much harder for people who feel their life isn’t progressing because of Covid.

I'm one of these people!

Once a movie goer, I found many "suggestions" on watching new releases given on radio and TV very feeble and watery indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To the person who had an argument with their mother, people sometime have these arguments and say stuff they don't mean.

I'm not saying your at fault here. One thing I have encountered since the start of all of this some older people are getting agitated with the whole situation and a common thing is they are being made feel like children by people doing the shopping, baking, etc for them and they'd prefer to be out their themselves with a mask, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Great new campaign helping to raise awareness about mental health in relation to lockdown called Le Chéile for Mental Health. Everyone should get behind this.
    https://youtu.be/v5QJ6I-vXhc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Yera to those that are having arguments with people at home, just note it's because of the very different times we're living in, none of that would really happen in "normal" times, ride it out and ignore the fury, "this too shall pass".

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

I think I'm burnt out, is this unavoidable during these covid times when can't do anything different then what doing every day ?
    Read exercise good for it - so I take time to exercise ever day but this results in an hour less to get other stuff done so stress of that piling up while I'm exercising trying to de-stress
    High hopes that school next week will help but part of me know if won't and feel down thinking I'm going to be in same position next week again with out the hope of an imminent change to improve things...

ax530 wrote: »
    I think I'm burnt out, is this unavoidable during these covid times when can't do anything different then what doing every day ?
    Read exercise good for it - so I take time to exercise ever day but this results in an hour less to get other stuff done so stress of that piling up while I'm exercising trying to de-stress
    High hopes that school next week will help but part of me know if won't and feel down thinking I'm going to be in same position next week again with out the hope of an imminent change to improve things...

Slow down? I got stressed just reading your post.

Maybe you are trying too hard?

Take time just to .... BE.Not doing anything . Just being. Just watch the grass grow, or the rain fall...Breathe.

Things are as they are; stressing is not going to change what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'm not one for regrets or thinking back about my choices in life. I suppose when I'm working and moving forward I don't really have time to think about it and I'm happy enough.
    The last while I've been thinking about every missed opportunity and it's getting me down. I suppose I can take some good from it and throw caution to the wind when I get out of lockdown and take more risks.

Anyone trying gardening as "therapy"? it is so healing sowing seeds and watching them grow.

I ask as several online seed companies are blitzed out with orders this year.

And yes, seeds galore here; flowers and vegetables.
    I even sow dried peas and they are a wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My mood keeps going up and down throughout this whole thing. From the beginning I've been complying with restrictions but a couple of weeks ago I started doing really badly and thinking irrationally, just wanting some semblance of a life back. Because it has been going on so long and there's no end in sight here, I keep thinking that this is going to be permanent; down to the irrational thinking most likely. I'm not sure how much longer I can handle this though. :(

Glaceon wrote: »
    My mood keeps going up and down throughout this whole thing. From the beginning I've been complying with restrictions but a couple of weeks ago I started doing really badly and thinking irrationally, just wanting some semblance of a life back. Because it has been going on so long and there's no end in sight here, I keep thinking that this is going to be permanent; down to the irrational thinking most likely. I'm not sure how much longer I can handle this though. :(

The secret is in adapting to the new ways and new situations. If you learn to do that then nothing in life will ever harm or destroy you.

This is something I have learned over the years as a serious illness has taken over my life. . If I "object"? Then I am unhappy. If I started fretting or feeling sorry for me, then unhappiness and stress grew. Just go with it all; comply as that will help others. You CAN handle it ! Just relax into it. You cannot change it; so stop opposing it. That brings stress and pain. You HAVE a life; it is just different than it was! What you make of it is what matters. Trust me on that! Live within what is NOW. Help others all you can; write to old friends; grow something; enjoy the coming spring. LIFE is still very very good! Just....different. And you CAN "handle " it. It IS hard but you CAN do it ll .. Always here for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi Glaceon,

Just to say the end is closer now than it’s ever been.. will things be 100% normal?.. no but things will ease up and we will begin to mix again.
    It’s very hard. Like us all you only want your normal life back. My life was v boring but I miss it and I want it back. I’m guessing everyone is the same.!

I found January v hard. I was paranoid about having it, not knowing and being a spreader. It was irrational and it took time but I had to keep talking myself down. Like you my moods/coping ability are up n down. I’ve found I’m a lot better with days getting longer etc.

Best of luck I hope you feel a lot better soon. The more I hear of people being vaccinated the more I’m hopeful of normal returning. I think we’ve all done so well coping with an invisible enemy fcuking with our lives. One day at a time we will get there.

Advertisement