Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

GoneHome wrote: »
    I don't really know what you mean by that but to give you a bit of context we live in a very rural isolated area in Co Limerick, no near neighbours as such, our nearest relations are living about five miles away so with all these lockdowns is basically just the two of us here, so as I said earlier "life is what you make it"

He means you are a couple. Not a single person living alone. Good for you if your enjoying but plenty are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Lesalare wrote: »
    I think your optimism is fair and respected and you are in a double income situ, but you should try and consider what it's like for people who have lost all their work: who still have to pay very high Dublin rent, bills, mobile phone etc., who are who are single and on their own 24/7. I'm delighted that you are in such a good situ as you and your partner seem to be, but for a LOT of others it's not quite as cushy.

You mentioned: "more contact with all our family through zoom, whatsapp, etc, reading loads, watching great series on tv, all is good"

It sort of reads as someone wrote that 12 months ago 2 weeks into initial lockdown.

You have to be thinking ahead brother, always expect the unexpected as this pandemic proves, always be ahead of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

You have to be thinking ahead brother, always expect the unexpected as this pandemic proves, always be ahead of the game

Be interesting to know what your outlook would be if you lived in that rural location, with no family 5km (or miles as you say) down the road, no work and no one around you. I think those books and Netflix distractions would wear thin a lot quicker than they are for you at present. But hey you are saving a fortune! Good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Be interesting to know what your outlook would be if you lived in that rural location, with no family 5km down the road, no work and no one around you. I think those books and Netflix distractions would ware thin a lot quicker than they are for you at present. But hey you are saving a fortune! Good for you!

Also note they said they were quiet frugal the years before the pandemic so maybe not missing all the social outlets closed aswell. Very easy to enjoy lockdown If ur life is not really affected by it , at the end of the day they said they are enjoying it so that’s all u need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

fin12 wrote: »
    Also note they said they were quiet frugal the years before the pandemic so maybe not missing all the social outlets closed aswell. Very easy to enjoy lockdown If ur life is not really affected by it , at the end of the day they said they are enjoying it so that’s all u need to know.

Totally. As I say hats off to them. I've not come across another person in past 6 months who purports to really be enjoying this situ. Even those in full time work still and with partners/family etc. Quite bizarre to read, but I guess it's a good thing someone is enjoying it.

• Advertisement

Totally. As I say hats off to them. I've not come across another person in past 6 months who purports to really be enjoying this situ. Even those in full time work still and with partners/family etc. Quite bizarre to read, but I guess it's a good thing someone is enjoying it.

Look it's not all rosey in the garden, we're missing going away on weekend breaks which we used to do at least every three months to different parts of the country, missing going to the south of Spain with a group of our extended family every year in December/January (19 of us last year, 22 the year before), missing seeing cousins up in the midlands that we can't visit due to the lockdown but as I say we're making the most of it and see the positives of the whole situation the main one being we're keeping our nearest and dearest safe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Same as that, there'll be nothing opening up really until everything is safe (which I reckon will be around September), but thankful for that, who wants to put themselves or their loved ones in danger, it's all for the greater good

Oh of course I get it, but I really don’t like it. First and second lockdowns were manageable, but I’m really struggling with this one.

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Oh of course I get it, but I really don’t like it. First and second lockdowns were manageable, but I’m really struggling with this one.

It's tough going Kitty. I have zero words of wisdom for you because I find it hard too. Sometimes I think I need a "good talking too" because on the surface my life is good. It still affects me though and the people I love.
    One of my closest friends lives in the UK and I think of her a lot. Imagine what it must feel like to not be able to come home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I Have been WFH for nearly a year now, and it has had a lot of positives, especially early when the weather was great.

But this last lockdown over the dark months was very tough, and fatigue is setting in for sure.

I'm going to see it out til June, and once the kids are off on their summer holidays, I am going to head back into the office, just to see my work mates again and get some routine that's outside the house. Even looking forward to the commute again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Heart wrenching...corealates to what I see around me in the real world and online and from research starting to trickle in from abroad... risks of blunt use of lockdown/restrictions starting to outweigh any perceived benefits.. mental health has always been the cinderella in healthcare here along with autoimmune illness and it will only get worse due to a lack of money/staff/resources/planning. Once the majority of high riskers sorted we need to open up or risk the mental health along with their livelyhoods of otherwise healthy people. Human inteteaction and touch are immensly important for our health.

Aside from that found this online with free content might help a few people who are stressed or anxious or just need something to do especially if you live alone.

https://www.taichiyourway.com/meditationvideos
    Tai chi excercises and mediatations from a group in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

People need to have a sense of hope, of good things on the horizon. Anyone in government with even the most minimal knowledge of social psychology would know that. If I wasn't so fortunate to still have a job, to be living in my own place with a loving partner and to have my family safe and well, I know 100% that I'd be finding things incredibly hard right now.
    I'd imagine that a lot of people who may want to reach out for help would be dissuaded from doing so as mental health services are stretched so thin.

Yep the lack of hope is hard part. Planning to buy a house in next few months and that's on hold. Living on my own but lucky enough to be in constant employment throughout the pandemic. But my apartment is small so it's a bit hard at times that home life and work life aren't separated. Weirdest part is I'm dealing fine with lack of people for the most part. But I'd really like to have a pet or something, cause I'm used to at least seeing dogs regularly. But missing out on that aspect is the thing that makes me feel incredibly lonely tbh. Main reason I want to sort a house if I'm honest, space and a pet cause I can't see landlord allowing it.

In scheme of things it's tiny in contrast to what others are dealing with. I'm in an incredibly lucky position and tbh, I'm not sure if I would cope this well if I was out of work.

Also that's not to say I don't understand importance of keeping numbers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Just to say I know of a couple of people who live alone and unable to bubble...that their furry friend passed away during the year and they were devasted.. so if this happens to someone you know dont belittle the grief just because they were not of the human species.

On a lighter note one of the funniest intereactions I had early last year was helping an older complete stranger save a cat that accidentialy escaped from a car around the corner from a vets in the center of town..imagine 4 people dancing around a car trying to social distance ...some with masks and one with a brush while trying to scoop the cat up....ended up running to the vets and buying the most expensive can of cat food in my life and running back to open it to tempt the cat before running late to catch my lift.

I always wondered what happened ..had the older gentleman got it from a rescue center to keep him company? I wish them both well wherever they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilentGreenx32

This is probably the worst iv felt throughout this whole thing. The motivation to do anything is gone. Most people I know feeling the same way. This is just insane now. I don't see people following these restrictions much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

This is probably the worst iv felt throughout this whole thing. The motivation to do anything is gone. Most people I know feeling the same way. This is just insane now. I don't see people following these restrictions much longer

Feel the same, can barely get out of bed in the mornings.

I can imagine how hard it would be if you had nothing to get up for, must be terrible.

Finding it tough but at least I'm WFH. I have a purpose to get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can imagine how hard it would be if you had nothing to get up for, must be terrible.

Finding it tough but at least I'm WFH. I have a purpose to get up.

I am working from home just not enjoying it. Miss going out for lunch with everyone and drinks after work. It’s been so isolating working from home.

I am working from home just not enjoying it. Miss going out for lunch with everyone and drinks after work. It’s been so isolating working from home.

Yeah the novelty has worn off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Shallow sentiment maybe, but you know the old saying it's always darkest before the dawn? That's what we're heading towards now. We'll be in better times soon. Act like you're feel up beat for now, you'll begin to feel it, and before too long we'll see some better news. It's just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Hi,

I can’t put my finger exactly what it is, and I feel more and more like its general anxiety related to lockdown and endless bad news.

I constantly feel generally worried or feel like I’ve done something wrong. When I think about it logically I know there’s nothing actually bothering me, which again leads me to believe its lockdown related.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Hi,

I can’t put my finger exactly what it is, and I feel more and more like its general anxiety related to lockdown and endless bad news.

I constantly feel generally worried or feel like I’ve done something wrong. When I think about it logically I know there’s nothing actually bothering me, which again leads me to believe its lockdown related.

can't say I feel like I've done something wrong, because I'm literally doing nothing these days as per govt guidelines.

i feel like time is wasting away and my social skills declining. find myself stuttering over words

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi,

I was experiencing this. General fear, feeling anxious and not doing well mentally. When before I was a generally upbeat and positive person.

I stopped reading and watching the news and stopped 100% rigidly sticking to the lockdown rules when I cracked a couple of weeks ago. I live in Meath and went to Glendalough in Wicklow for a hike. Made my lunch and stuff at home, drove down without stopping, hiked for 4 hours and drove home without stopping. Didnt meet a single soul and was in absolutely no danger of getting covid.

Contrast that with going into the shop the following day where I was surrounded by people and some who got far too close for comfort and I just had to laugh at the situation we are in.

Start making your own decisions while being safe and stop watching the news. It will do wonders for your wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

dobman88 wrote: »

Start making your own decisions while being safe and stop watching the news. It will do wonders for your wellbeing.

That is sound advice...

Tune out of the media, they are pumping fear into people, which will impact anxiety levels in individuals.

Exercise daily most importantly, best form of defense.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What I've learnt during this is you need a structure to your day so that you have something to look forward to. Block off an hour or two in the morning and the afternoon to do something, even if it's just a little walk. Activities can include things you've always wanted to do, things you used to do or resurrect old hobbies. Even if you never publish I'd recommend writing a course - it really eats up the hours and the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Skipduke wrote: »
    can't say I feel like I've done something wrong, because I'm literally doing nothing these days as per govt guidelines.

i feel like time is wasting away and my social skills declining. find myself stuttering over words
    Start writing, keep a diary and write every day, set yourself a low initial target of 200 words and then bring it up to 500 or more. It doesn't really matter if it's rubbish or that nobody reads it. Maybe start a blog about something you have a passion for?

Most people I know feeling the same way.

I really can't understand that attitude, anyone we're been talking to is very happy getting the PUP payment and playing their part by staying at home. We were talking to two brothers in law from each side of the family today through WhatsApp and had this exact conversation and the both of them were happy out telling us about all the gardenng and DIY jobs they were getting done with being off, it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I really can't understand that attitude, anyone we're been talking to is very happy getting the PUP payment and playing their part by staying at home. We were talking to two brothers in law from each side of the family today through WhatsApp and had this exact conversation and the both of them were happy out telling us about all the gardenng and DIY jobs they were getting done with being off, it's all good.

Because maybe some people have greater aspirations with their work than your mates. That's fine. But to say that you can't understand this attitude is gobsmacking.

Advertisement