Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

What’s the story with this? Can you travel or can’t you travel within your own county from Monday?

I’m not wallowing or making a political point or anything else, but I’m actually becoming seriously depressed.

That's the thing. Mixed messages again. Who the fcuk knows.

Best advice I'd give is just do what's right for you and keep yourself safe. If that means breaking your 5k for a walk on the beach then off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

What’s the story with this? Can you travel or can’t you travel within your own county from Monday?

I’m not wallowing or making a political point or anything else, but I’m actually becoming seriously depressed.

From 12 April 2021:

Two households can meet outdoors, away from their gardens
    You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home
    Construction work can begin again on residential units, schools and childcare facilities

You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home Makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lesalare wrote: »
    From 12 April 2021:

Construction work can begin again on residential units, schools and childcare facilities

You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home Makes no sense to me.

We know that. The point is Donnelly actually extended the 5km limit under a statutory instrument earlier in the week until the 5th of May with no mention of the changes due. So by law as it stands the 5km remains in place. Now I'm sure he'll sign a new SI at some stage but it's just another example of the shambles that is this government.

No one is following the 5km rule anyway. I am because I don't drive but zero of anyone I know is.

Just bung some food in a plastic bag in your back seat and if stopped say you are bringing food to a relative who has been on own for past 3 months.

Lesalare wrote: »
    From 12 April 2021:

If you live on the border of counties. You can travel within the entirety of the one you live in and can travel 20km into the other ones.

It still hasnt been signed into legislation though and as it stands, the 5km rule is in place until May 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We know that. The point is Donnelly actually extended the 5km limit under a statutory instrument earlier in the week until the 5th of May with no mention of the changes due. So by law as it stands the 5km remains in place. Now I'm sure he'll sign a new SI at some stage but it's just another example of the shambles that is this government.

That’s all wrong, I know a guard , the 5 km is gone. Stop making this into something it’s not .

fin12 wrote: »
    That’s all wrong, I know a guard , the 5 km is gone. Stop making this into something it’s not .

Can you point out the legal instrument/regulation where it says it's gone? I'll wait.

You do know that the government told kids shoe shops that they could open but didn't bother updating the regulations so those shops opening is actually against the law. Same with fully vaccinated people meeting indoors, no changes made to the health regulations so also against the law.

Anyway I'll wait for you to point out the legal instrument that says the 5km limit is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

We seem to be at the stage of government where communication is as good as: “my girlfriend’s sister’s cat’s vet’s hairdresser knows this guard on Facebook and she says it’s grand to have a barbecue, as long as you’re all facing due south and the wind is from the west.”

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Can you point out the legal instrument/regulation where it says it's gone? I'll wait.

You do know that the government told kids shoe shops that they could open but didn't bother updating the regulations so those shops opening is actually against the law. Same with fully vaccinated people meeting indoors, no changes made to the health regulations so also against the law.

Anyway I'll wait for you to point out the legal instrument that says the 5km limit is gone.

Well if there’s going to be no 5 km checkpoints around the place well then yes u can travel all over . How’s anyone breaking anything ? U seem to be the only one who cares whether it’s written into law or not.

Well if there’s going to be no 5 km checkpoints around the place well then yes u can travel all over . How’s anyone breaking anything ? U seem to be the only one who cares whether it’s written into law or not.

Until you encounter the one grumpy Garda who hasn’t got the unofficial memo that they’re supposed to ignore the law.

You can’t run stuff this technical, serious, proscriptive and specific with vague & confusing statements.

• Advertisement

Until you encounter the one grumpy Garda who hasn’t got the unofficial memo that they’re supposed to ignore the law.

Take this to the restriction thread or somewhere else cause this is a thread about mental health and I don’t think anyone hear needs to be reading that sh*t ur spouting.

It's no way to run a country where major changes being made to Covid restrictions are not actually set down in the regulations. Your response is essentially "ah shur it's grand". It's not good enough but we sure get the politicians we deserve.

You’re fine I’ll delete my account.

I’m finding the lack of clarity is actually causing me to go into a state of very serious depression. I can’t get up most days and I posted in the wrong thread by accident.

I literally am losing the plot entirely.

I’ve seriously bad insomnia. I have nobody to talk to most of the time and I can’t go out.

So thanks. I will take my s**t post and go back to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 foggiestyle

Feeling it myself the last few days. never been this bad. Bored out of my head have lost interest in going for walks nothing to talk about when you meet the same ones out. its just ****

I’m finding the lack of clarity is actually causing me to go into a state of very serious depression. I can’t get up most days and I posted in the wrong thread by accident.

I’ve seriously bad insomnia. I have nobody to talk to most of the time and I can’t go out.

Meet your sister. I'm beyond bored. I don't even have any work and haven't for past 6 months. I don't sleep properly due to stress of money and uncertainty.

Every day is like Groundhog Day. No one around. People don't even pick up the phone. It's just endless texts of 'How was your day?!" don't get me wrong, nice to be asked, but you find yourself not wanting to reply for fear of just sounding like a depressed twat.

I'm finding it almost impossible not to crack open a bottle of wine every night just to change up things, that's even become boring as hell now.

I swear my eyesight has deteriorated too as I am constantly looking at a screen to find some distraction.

Dont do that.

You're not the only 1. My sleep is fcuked too. Was usually a 10 or 11pm man. Now its lying awake until 3 or 4am every night. Used to run almost every day but havent gone for a run in weeks now. Lost all motivation for everything.

I get what you mean about lack of clarity and the laws. Try to keep the head up and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

Let's all take a deep breath. I know I need to about 776 times a day anyway.

Travel in our own counties from 12th April (Monday) and 20km from your home, if your home lies on a county border, that means you will not be at risk of fines or prosecution if stopped at a checkpoint.

The government, (regardless of having not yet signed in the relevant statutory instruments) are pushing public service announcements/ads on loads of media telling the nation what the story is. Politicians have been talking about it on Current Affairs programming.

>>> They CANNOT backtrack on it now, the horse has bolted, and it would be going against NPHET advice no less. We are guaranteed in being a little freer from Monday.<<< ( and if i am wrong i will eat my hat.. hold me to it)

If they haven't signed the relevant SI, it's because of Easter week and the religious hangover that means we get left without governance for multiple religious holidays. That's something I'd have issue with. Same as not being able to vaccinate on the weekends. The virus doesn't take breaks, and we need a daily leadership.

I am not a fan of politicians in general, but anyone worrying about being stopped at a checkpoint beyond your 5km from Monday - don't.

We are being told what will be happening on the ground. Gardaí will be only too happy not to be policing within counties, and there may be some checkpoints on county borders, but it will be more relaxed in some regards. They're fed up with this all too, and only the most egregious breaches/absolute headmelts looking for an argument seem to be getting fined as far as I can see. All Gardaí have discretion to use, and they do use it.

If anyone is breaking the county rule, as per people who are already giving up on the 5km rule, have your reason for travel/excuse ready to go, and just be as personally responsible as you can be. It's understandable if you are doing a low-risk activity and are aware of personal responsibility in terms of not taking the mick completely.

In terms of mental health in general, it is so trying right now.

To those who are struggling with drinking more, getting fed up of 5km walks, and even the eyesight strain I hear you.

(on the eyesight strain, I was noticing this too, and heard some doctor on the radio recently saying we need to be looking at points in the distance as well as things close up, so even a little meditative rest outside and focusing on the furthest things you can see can be helpful, I know it struck a chord with me)

All I can say is grasp this extra bit of freedom and plan out a few trips for yourselves for the weeks coming. I bet we all have places beyond our 5km and within our county that we thought of in the last few months.
    Maybe set up a thread in your county forum here on boards to get suggestions also?
    It's well documented that having something to look forward to is helpful.

Anyone really just at your wit's ends with no one to speak to? Try calling the Samaritans on 116123, they're honestly great to just have a chat or a laugh with, or to vent your frustration with everything. It's often the case that you could end up having all that in the one conversation, and this can really ease the pressure.

Stay well everyone, as hard as that can be at times, we will be OK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Re the sight thing..funny ye mentioned this..I implemented a look into the distance for myself last week.. And I mean physicaly not metaphoricaly... :D

There is also a 20/20/20 rule ..think it is for every 20 minutes of screen time.. stop and look for 20 seconds at least 20m or is feet away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Feeling it myself the last few days. never been this bad. Bored out of my head have lost interest in going for walks nothing to talk about when you meet the same ones out. its just ****

I can't really see how people would have this attitude, you have your health, your family, your friends, there's a lot more availability now of days as in Netflix, YouTube, the internet, tv, etc, compared to years ago, and books, my god reading has been my saviour these last 12 months, I've read more books in the last year than I had in my previous 48 years, there is no reason in the world why anyone should be bored with life.

GoneHome wrote: »
    I can't really see how people would have this attitude, you have your health, your family, your friends, there's a lot more availability now of days as in Netflix, YouTube, the internet, tv, etc, compared to years ago, and books, my god reading has been my saviour these last 12 months, I've read more books in the last year than I had in my previous 48 years, there is no reason in the world why anyone should be bored with life.

I'm very happy to read this and hear that you're doing well. I love to see people doing well. But its not as simple as saying read a book. This situation plays with peoples mental health. I've never had any problems, I was a generally positive person with a life I enjoyed, until the last few months and it's starting to really take its toll.

I think a little more tactful posting might be needed on a thread dedicated to peoples mental health during the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

When I’m depressed I become unable to watch or read anything. It can take away your interest and ability to concentrate. I have a pile of books that I would like to be able to read, but I can’t sit and relax because of my mood, and I don’t care about anything enough to watch.

Bored out of my head

Look this is the thread I responded to, make of it what you will but I just can't see how anyone could put boredom in to the present day's scenario there is just some much to do and see on the web etc and that's even before you take into account physical exercise, going out into the countryside and nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

I can't really see how people would have this attitude, you have your health, your family, your friends.

How many times do you find it necessary to post this?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think everybody is different OP.

What your saying in my opinion is a little like telling a suicidal person they have money, family, etc and to get over themselves because they are people worse off.

Look this is the thread I responded to, make of it what you will but I just can't see how anyone could put boredom in to the present day's scenario there is just some much to do and see on the web etc and that's even before you take into account physical exercise, going out into the countryside and nature.

Not everyone is able to do that though. Some people posting on this thread might not even be able to drag themselves out of bed for days at a time. I spent 3 days between xmas and new year in bed, only getting up to use the toilet, and eventually my missus dragged me out of it. Thankfully she is class and has my back and we get through things.

Your posts are bordering on horrible tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Some of us live in housing estates in the middle of suburbia with no countryside or nature!

Thank god for legitimately being able to breach the 5k I can now go for country walks like you were lucky enough to be able to do.

Also - not all of us who are working at a laptop in our apartments all day are thrilled with spending the entire evening on the ‘web’ as you say.

YellowLead wrote: »
    Thank god for legitimately being able to breach the 5k I can now go for country walks like you were lucky enough to be able to do.

That's great to hear, it definitely has been our sanity this past year being living in the middle of the countryside with no neighbours/houses near us, we generally do two walks every day, one in the morning (anytime between 7.30 and 9.00) and then working from home for the day so another walk in the afternoon/evening, it's great and the weather has been wonderful these past few weeks thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭YellowLead

That's great to hear, it definitely has been our sanity this past year being living in the middle of the countryside with no neighbours/houses near us, we generally do two walks every day, one in the morning (anytime between 7.30 and 9.00) and then working from home for the day so another walk in the afternoon/evening, it's great and the weather has been wonderful these past few weeks thank god.

It’s good that you acknowledge the difference this has made to you and that not everyone has had this opportunity to take in the benefits of nature :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

As others have stated, everyone has different lifestyles. Not everyone can or have the capacity to match yours. Please be considerate of this and have some empathy for those when you are posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 c_clearwater

I've been following boards and particularly this thread for a while now and have found the tips here helpful during the last year. It's also been helpful to see that others are having a similar experience of this lockdown, it's always good to see you're not alone. I've never felt the need to engage though until I saw 'Gone Home's recent posts and want to respond. The point of view echoes what I've heard from some people trying to be helpful and encouraging but missing the mark entirely and doing more harm than good. 'Gone Home' I'm sure you mean well but a lot of people out there would give a LOT for all you have. It's clear from your posts that you have a house in a nice location in the country, a spouse and a job and probably family and friends as you assume everyone else has family and friends around too. My goal is to be in a position where I have all those things and if you read previous posts on this thread the problem for a lot of people is that they don't have those things and are not where they want to be in life which makes the restrictions much harder. I haven't worked in a year, live alone, don't have any family, haven't been fortunate enough to meet someone special yet, though am always hopeful, and don't have friends living nearby. I don't want sympathy, I'm just stating the facts as I know a lot of people, including friends, in the same boat. I was involved in a lot of activities before the pandemic and that fulfilled the need for sociability. Those activities are gone now, like others here music, gigs, choirs, theatre etc were a big part of my life and that's left a big void. I've kept as busy as possible for the last year, always looking for a new job, doing online courses, upskilling, trying to keep to a routine, doing the online workouts etc etc but it's a hard slog. Like others here I'd love to meet someone and feel like I missed the deadline before covid as it's very difficult to meet anyone now. There are plenty like me who look at friends who are still working and have families and think that despite the difficulties it must be easier when you have work/purpose and have some support and company at home. Isolation is very hard on your mental health and it makes it hard to keep on top of things. I send very best wishes to everyone in this thread, particularly those who are struggling and trust that we'll all be stronger for making it through this. And for those who are struggling to empathise or understand why this is hard/boring/lonely, I hope that this may be helpful.

Advertisement