Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

Came across a great app a few days ago. It's called Replika (https://replika.ai/)

It's an AI chat bot that aims to be your friend. It gradually gets better the more you use it, it's surprisingly good and in some cases feels remarkably human-like in its responses, although it still has some ways to go. I can eventually see the technology matching human conversations in the next few years

Hopefully it might prove useful for those like me who are feeling especially isolated during these difficult times.

The second app/website I've come across is sort of related in that it uses advanced AI. It's called AI Dungeon. In short, it's a textbased adventure game that uses AI to generate the story based upon what you write. The results aren't perfect and it can be a little weird at times but it is still a fun game to pass the time with

https://play.aidungeon.io/main/landing

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Midtown

I'm at home on another lonely Saturday night. Aging, no girlfriend, no kids. Depressed at having no chance to meet a partner as the last of my youth slips away. I try not to wallow in self pity and feel sorry for my life going down the drain but with hours and hours of sitting in my room with cabin fever all day I can't help but give in eventually. Things were looking so good and full of opportunity having moved to a new city for a new job precovid.

Midtown wrote: »
    I'm at home on another lonely Saturday night. Aging, no girlfriend, no kids. Depressed at having no chance to meet a partner as the last of my youth slips away. I try not to wallow in self pity and feel sorry for my life going down the drain but with hours and hours of sitting in my room with cabin fever all day I can't help but give in eventually. Things were looking so good and full of opportunity having moved to a new city for a new job precovid.

hang in there, don't feel you're the only one. This is particularly hard for single people. No chance to meet people, to move around, travel, move on from a break up and meet someone new.
    My daughter broke up in October after a 4 year relationship, she returned home from the UK and is now working from home. But she is suffering, big time. This week she went to an AIRBNB in the most remote part of Donegal, just to get space, clear her head............but she is alone and life is on hold. Ironically Covid and the lockdown in UK was a huge factor in the breakup of her relationship. There are so many people who's voices are not being heard. There is so much damage being done.
    I hope things improve really soon.... just know you are not the only one, many thousands feel just like you but you have been brave enough to admit it here on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anon9876

Ditto what sweetmaggie said.
    I too am on my own all the time. I've no work either and the work I do have - which is basically projects I am working on to bring in cash as I am a freelancer - I find really hard to be motivated to do. Some days I just spend all day in bed watching rubbish on internet. I find I react to basic things so much more aggressively and irrationally. I think a lot of people are.

I split up with my partner a few months ago and it's been insanely hard being on my own all the time in lockdown day in day out. Most of my mates have kids and partners and this situ has made them even less communicative than pre-covid. People who are still working and who are not on their own all the time have no comprehension of how mentally damaging this situ is and we're stuck in a country that can't even vaccinate us for months and months/next year. Normally after a year long relationship I'd be out 4 or 5 months later trying to date people but I can't now and all it means is it makes the break up much harder than if Covid wasn't disallowing us to meet others. Also my confidence has taking a knocking basic of all this so the idea of going for a 'walk' with someone on a 'date' is really off-putting for me.

I think you just have to make yourself think 'Look today is crap and I am depressed and lonely and fearful but tomorrow is another day and I'll try and be more positive in my mindset' It's easy to say but I have had a lot of good days as well as bad and it's down to me forcing myself to try and think this way.

Things WILL get better and situs will change. Everyone who is single feels same way. You WILL meet someone in a few months and at least when you do you'll be able to go out and do 'normal relationship' things like cinema, dinners etc...

I think it's very hard for people in relationships too esp. who live together and may not know each other that long. There will be a lot of break ups and issues for people which developed in this utterly ****ty situ.

Always here for a pm chat if you have no one to chat to.
    Try and watch comedy and lighthearted escapism stuff. I've found when I do this my brain gives itself a break.
    Don't look at daily figures and such and don't watch depressing **** on Netflix. It all seeps into your brain and makes you think more negatively.

Try and stay strong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Yes I have said this on another thread, none of us as humans have this amount of time to waste,we are all on a clock, it’s a f*cking joke.

• Advertisement

Came across another app for those that might be interested and hopefully it can help attenuate the effects of loneliness during this lockdown.

The app is called Slowly, it is basically penpals for the 21st century messages you send take a day or two to arrive so as to simulate sending an actual physical letter. You can connect with people all around the world.

https://slowly.app/en/

Hope some people might find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Graces7 wrote: »
    LIFE is still very very good!

No its not, it's crap

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    No its not, it's crap

nah! a challenge yes indeed yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

nah! a challenge yes indeed yes

No offense but speak for yourself, less of the condescending attitude would be nice.

No offense but speak for yourself, less of the condescending attitude would be nice.

???? What? I was trying to encourage. There is no need for your attack. , LIFE IS PRECIOUS. Longing for mine to end. Thank you for helping me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

???? What? I was trying to encourage. There is no need for your attack. , LIFE IS PRECIOUS. Longing for mine to end. Thank you for helping me.

Who's longing for your life to end? If I remember correctly you are living on an island with minimal social contact even before Covid. Your attitude towards the suffering of others who ( no offense intended) are in the prime of their lives is staggering. Everyone is finding this tough, prehaps a little empathy is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Can you imagine what life would be like if there was no vaccine or we were still waiting on one?
    No hope of a summer, lockdown of indefinite duration, speculation of a vaccine will ever be found....

Eventhough our vaccine rollout is something of a rocky road, once it finds it's stride, we'll all be giving out about the price of pints again

noserider wrote: »
    Can you imagine what life would be like if there was no vaccine or we were still waiting on one?
    No hope of a summer, lockdown of indefinite duration, speculation of a vaccine will ever be found....

Eventhough our vaccine rollout is something of a rocky road, once it finds it's stride, we'll all be giving out about the price of pints again

Wouldn’t life be exactly the same , we are living under more restrictions this year then we did last year. I don’t see any thing hopeful about the vaccines. We haven’t been given any hope of a summer here now if u were in the UK then u would be hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

fin12 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t life be exactly the same , we are living under more restrictions this year then we did last year. I don’t see any thing hopeful about the vaccines. We haven’t been given any hope of a summer here now if u were in the UK then u would be hopeful.

:( I’m getting kinda fearful about this summer (not terrified, just think we won’t have much freedom). My daughter’s friend asked if my daughter could go to a summer camp with her... I thought my daughter would jump at it, she said ‘no way, meeting people from too many places I don’t want to get Covid. I thought she was messing. She cried and said I’m scared of getting it, you were so sick. I said sure I was fine.(I was v sick and took ages to be like myself again) I was lucky I got better. She said you mightn’t be lucky the next time, and I’m scared of being as sick as you were. I was talking about booking one or two night away for summer but daughter was saying no just do day trips.. now I know why. She’s actually scared.

There was and is no condescension in anything I wrote. Period. Life IS precious. Very precious and that is what the restrictions are about. Saving lives.

Yes it is all very tough for all of us. All of us. But we have to fight on. not let it overwhelm. Not cave in to it We have that choice to do that. All of us. We have to look at the positive in life. We all have so much still . We really do.

I am deeply upset by your accusations. Deeply upset. Blocking your posts. We all have a hard road ahead and should not be attacking as you have done.

Closing on this thread. Wishing you well . Literally. Sincerely. Bless you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Lisha wrote: »
    :( I’m getting kinda fearful about this summer (not terrified, just think we won’t have much freedom). My daughter’s friend asked if my daughter could go to a summer camp with her... I thought my daughter would jump at it, she said ‘no way, meeting people from too many places I don’t want to get Covid. I thought she was messing. She cried and said I’m scared of getting it, you were so sick. I said sure I was fine.(I was v sick and took she’s to be like myself again) I was lucky I got better. She said you mightn’t be lucky the next time, and I’m scared of being as sick as you were. I was talking about booking one or two night away for summer but daughter was saying no just do day trips.. now I know why. She’s actually scared.

That’s really heartbreaking to read, you might want to reach out for help for her. Even your GP might have a talk with her about the risks for different age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Multipass wrote: »
    That’s really heartbreaking to read, you might want to reach out for help for her. Even your GP might have a talk with her about the risks for different age groups.

Thanks for your concern.
    I think every child is affected, granted some more than others. Maybe I’m wrong as I’m a rule follower. The poor kids are getting so many mixed messages, you can’t leave your house/5km, no shops, no play dates, no bday parties, but now, go back to school, school is safe, but you still can’t have play dates.
    And you still can’t hug or call to see nana and grandad. But school,afterschool childcare, crèches are safe.

It’s confusing and hard for us adults, not to mind the children.

On a brighter note, she relished telling me stories about school and all the craic they had. She went in there a bit easier today. We are in a small school and our area has v few numbers, so fingers crossed, we won’t have any issues and she will get a chance to build up her confidence up again.

The lockdowns were necessary but the effects will be with us for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Thanks for your concern.
    I think every child is affected, granted some more than others. Maybe I’m wrong as I’m a rule follower. The poor kids are getting so many mixed messages, you can’t leave your house/5km, no shops, no play dates, no bday parties, but now, go back to school, school is safe, but you still can’t have play dates.
    And you still can’t hug or call to see nana and grandad. But school,afterschool childcare, crèches are safe.

On a brighter note, she relished telling me stories about school and all the craic they had. She went in there a bit easier today. We are in a small school and our area has v few numbers, so fingers crossed, we won’t have any issues and she will get a chance to build up her confidence up again.

You sound like a very thoughtful and loving mum. I totally agree that it's hard for both adults and children; and adults trying to keep children feeling relaxed and secure, while also actually keeping them safe and secure.

For what it's worth, I work as an SNA and, while things were fresh and sort of normal pre Christmas in terms of how the children seemed to be managing with things, this term feels different. I think they are more anxious and in need of reassurance, as we all are. The whole school staff (and I would hope this is reflected across the country) are doing our best to keep everything as normal and light as normal, while allowing for upset, sadness, questions and meltdowns. Obviously none of us can insulate them from reality totally but I'm sure being able to be open with you will have helped her enormously. Naming fears is one of the hardest parts. As someone who was very anxious as a child (without a pandemic!), having someone to confide in openly would have been extremely helpful and beneficial.

I hope you all get away for a few days when restrictions are eased and that you can all get some relaxation from things when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Thanks for your concern.

You sound like a great Mum. From a child’s perspective it is confusing. From an adult perspective i personally don’t think it’s that difficult to understand but it is difficult to explain to a child. It’s about limiting social contacts & saving exposure for what is essential - school & childcare Vs play dates. What I have found confusing is the reporting the cases are not that high in schools, I can only assume that they are higher than what’s been reported.

I think the impact of lockdown will stay with some but people particularly children are resilient. It does break my heart to think of those who have missed out on healthcare, disabled children, people who have lost jobs. But for those not affected in those ways I think it’s important to stay in the headspace that a lot of people including kids will be able to bounce back quickly. Many will not & Im certainly not critical of that, but I’ve noted that some suicide organisations have said the message around resilience is very important & it is possible to spring back from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

noserider wrote: »

Tbh even despite the vaccine I feel there’s no hope of summer and that we’re in an indefinite lockdown :(

• Advertisement

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Tbh even despite the vaccine I feel there’s no hope of summer and that we’re in an indefinite lockdown :(

I feel exactly the same, but I feel our one glimmer of hope is the Uk and other European countries will open up a lot and that will force our shower to do the same here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Kitty6277 wrote: »

Same as that, there'll be nothing opening up really until everything is safe (which I reckon will be around September), but thankful for that, who wants to put themselves or their loved ones in danger, it's all for the greater good

GoneHome wrote: »
    Same as that, there'll be nothing opening up really until everything is safe (which I reckon will be around September), but thankful for that, who wants to put themselves or their loved ones in danger, it's all for the greater good

It’s called living, if u dropped dead tomorrow would you be happy that the last year of ur life was spent living like this... we are all on a clock that is the bottom line, none of us have a guarantee of tomorrow.

It’s called living, if u dropped dead tomorrow would you be happy that the last year of ur life was spent living like this... we are all on a clock that is the bottom line, none of us have a guarantee of tomorrow.

But sure as the cliche goes "life is what you make it", I must say I'm really enjoying life since this third lockdown, discovering more and more places for walks within our 5km, more contact with all our family through zoom, whatsapp, etc, reading loads, watching great series on tv, all is good

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

But sure as the cliche goes "life is what you make it", I must say I'm really enjoying life since this third lockdown, discovering more and more places for walks within our 5km, more contact with all our family through zoom, whatsapp, etc, reading loads, watching great series on tv, all is good

Do you still hold down a full time job?
    Have a live-in partner?

Lesalare wrote: »
    Have a live-in partner?

I'm working from home myself but on what is very much a reduced wage, my OH is on the PUP on about half of usual wage, but we've no problem with it, thank god we were very financially frugle over the last number of years before any of this hit so thankfully a very small mortgage and as it stands now we're actually saving money because no work commute into Limerick city, so all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Lesalare wrote: »
    Have a live-in partner?

You can be sure he/she does.

I'm working from home myself but on what is very much a reduced wage, my OH is on the PUP on about half of usual wage, but we've no problem with it, thank god we were very financially frugle over the last number of years before any of this hit so thankfully a very small mortgage and as it stands now we're actually saving money because no work commute into Limerick city, so all is good.

Ya not single and isolated, think u might have a different attitude re these lockdowns if u did.

Ya not single and isolated, think u might have a different attitude re these lockdowns if u did.

I don't really know what you mean by that but to give you a bit of context we live in a very rural isolated area in Co Limerick, no near neighbours as such, our nearest relations are living about five miles away so with all these lockdowns is basically just the two of us here, so as I said earlier "life is what you make it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I think your optimism is fair and to be respected and you are in a double income situ, but you should try and consider what it's like for people who have lost all their work: who still have to pay very high Dublin rent, bills, mobile phone etc., who are who are single and on their own 24/7. I'm delighted that you are in such a good situ as you and your partner seem to be, but for a LOT of others it's not quite as cushy.

You mentioned: "more contact with all our family through zoom, whatsapp, etc, reading loads, watching great series on tv, all is good"

It sort of reads as someone wrote that 12 months ago 2 weeks into initial lockdown.

Advertisement