Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sorry what would vulnerable people even be doing in a supermarket???

Same thing everyone else is doing in a supermarket surely...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Before vulnerable people have had a chance to be vaccinated, I think this is pretty selfish. What are we supposed to do when idiots just do their own thing and come up right beside you in supermarkets and the likes? People complain about the restrictions, which we all hate, but what about the mental effort to try to exist "normally" when your own life is at stake?

here we go with the blame game again :rolleyes: jesus what has become of some people in this country, they've really showed their true colours ,do you think people are like robots or something where they can just obey commands all the time, its crystal; clear to even the most pro goverment supporter even though they wont admot it that lockdown simply hasnt worked period,people cannot and will not do anymore.

so continue on with your pathetic blame game all you want, and feel free to stay indoors and in lockdown yourself, but the vast majority of people have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

U don’t need to step inside a supermarket that’s the whole point, it’s called online shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

fin12 wrote: »
    U don’t need to step inside a supermarket that’s the whole point, it’s called online shopping

So no one needs to go to supermarkets, or just vulnerable people shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Why would you be risking it if you were really vulnerable? There’s delivery options, GAA clubs are organizing shopping for elderly and vulnerable people, ask a friend???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

And what about people living homes in complete fear , domestic abuse ? Are u not selfish asking for people like that continue to be locked up in those conditions . Their lives are at stake by being stuck at home .

That is blatantly false, the Gardaí have been repeatedly on the record to say that victims of domestic abuse are not subject to travel restrictions and can flee abusive partners. Completely ignorant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Isn't that a smart point, why didn't I ever think of that before...

Oh wait, if there's something you need to buy, you've to wait a few days for a delivery slot? And pay for the delivery on top of the costs of shopping?

Do you realise how silly it sounds to say vulnerable shouldn't be going to supermarkets, especially if it's to defend the "right" of healthy people to do whatever the **** they want around other people in a pandemic.

Why so much division? Isn't it possible to understand all of the different circumstances occurring during this time?

It's not a competition of who is most impacted or which needs must come first. It's rubbish for us all.

Do you realise how silly it sounds to say vulnerable shouldn't be going to supermarkets, especially if it's to defend the "right" of healthy people to do whatever the **** they want around other people in a pandemic.

Yeah it’s nearly as stupid as saying we shouldn’t reopen the country and let people live normal lives again in case someone stands too close to you in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think at this stage everyone has has enough and hardly anyone now will be taking a blind bit of notie of any restrictions, i certainly wont, i did like everyone for a long time, but these parasites in NPHET and Government have destroyed this country and the knock on effect as we are seeing is far greater or should i say worse than this virus is ever likely to be.

so my asdvise is folks, do your own thing, ignore them, they couldnt care less about us the people, that is abundently clear at this stage of the game!!

Agree everyone is fed up with it now and it is a challenge for everyone.

Would you not think though, that telling people to ignore Govt. restrictions and do their own thing is incendiary and un necessary.

Given that this is a thread about mental health, tone and language such as parasites, blame game, destroying the Country are extremely negative and hostile.

People are stressed out enough, especially older and vulnerable people, without being made to feel as if they are the ones that are stopping others from having normal lives.

• Advertisement

Sorry what would vulnerable people even be doing in a supermarket???
    here we go with the blame game again :rolleyes: jesus what has become of some people in this country, they've really showed their true colours ,do you think people are like robots or something where they can just obey commands all the time,

so continue on with your pathetic blame game all you want, and feel free to stay indoors and in lockdown yourself, but the vast majority of people have had enough.

Why would you be risking it if you were really vulnerable? There’s delivery options, GAA clubs are organizing shopping for elderly and vulnerable people, ask a friend???

Interesting that this thread is about mental health and is taking cheap shots at those probably the most isolated and impacted who just want to go to the shop or collect their pension again.

Not much empathy shown in some of the above posts. Thankfully, not everyone feels the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Is this the thread to shout at people? I think there's enough threads already to that

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Is this the thread to shout at people? I think there's enough threads already to that

I'm assuming you are referring to the unhelpful and now removed post that was effing and blinding.

anewme wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are referring to the unhelpful and now removed post that was effing and blinding.

Not sure your posts are particularly helpful either

. You’re also extremely tone deaf. Not everyone is lucky enough to have your situation.
    Not sure your posts are particularly helpful either

Your previous post to me was abusive and the tone to other posters as per the above was not kind either.

My point being, everyone has their own challenges and family situations and no one's situation trumps others.

No one is lucky in this pandemic, that's the whole point of discussing mental health here. Everyone is impacted. It should not be about my situation is worse than his, etc.

Your previous post to me was abusive and the tone to other posters as per the above was not kind either.

My point being, everyone has their own challenges and family situations and no one's situation trumps others.

No one is lucky in this pandemic, that's the whole point of discussing mental health here. Everyone is impacted. It should not be about my situation is worse than his, etc.

Do not take my old posts out of context and try to paint me as a bad person. I was replying to someone who couldn’t understand why people were finding lockdown difficult.

I never said anyone was lucky in this pandemic. Simply questioning why someone vulnerable would put themself in a crowded supermarket when there are plenty of available options to get their shopping otherwise.

Stop twisting my words.

Do not take my old posts out of context and try to paint me as a bad person. I was replying to someone who couldn’t understand why people were finding lockdown difficult.

I never said anyone was lucky in this pandemic. Simply questioning why someone vulnerable would put themself in a crowded supermarket when there are plenty of available options to get their shopping otherwise.

Stop twisting my words.

Not an old post. 2 days ago. I'm not insinuating you are a bad person, just fed up to the back teeth if it like everyone else.

But I believe you've answered your own question though.

You said you were replying to someone who could not understand why people are finding lockdown difficult.

Then you ask why old /vulnerable people would want to go to the shop when they have other options.(same options everyone has).

The answer to both questions is the same.

People just want their life back. To get out if the house, to live normal, to go to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Providing things go back to normal I do think some people are going to live in fear for a while after this.
    They’ll be scared to go out and when they’ll do they’ll be very uncomfortable around people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Vulnerable people should not be in a supermarket during a pandemic where they might pick up an illness that could kill them. There’s delivery, click & collect, neighbours, GAA, lots of alternatives. I’m always amazed at the number of older people I see in supermarkets.

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Vulnerable people should not be in a supermarket during a pandemic where they might pick up an illness that could kill them. There’s delivery, click & collect, neighbours, GAA, lots of alternatives. I’m always amazed at the number of older people I see in supermarkets.

Those options are available to all.

I'm not amazed at the number of old people out at all.

I tried to keep my Mum in, but found she snuck off to Lidl.

She said she was going stir crazy in the house and if the Covid did not kill her, the isolation and loneliness of staring at 4 walls would.

Given that this thread is to primarily focus on mental health during these times, I'm surprised how many people are missing the point here.

• Advertisement

Those options are available to all.

I'm not amazed at the number of old people out at all.
    I
    I tried to keep my Mum in, but found she snuck off to Lidl.

She said she was going stir crazy in the house and if the Covid did not kill her, the isolation and loneliness of staring at 4 walls would.

Given that this thread is to primarily focus on mental health during these times, I'm surprised how many people are missing the point here.

Don’t you think “these options are available to all” is missing the point?! We are not all at equal risk of dying from Covid.

I’ve no doubt many many older people are lonely & like the trip to the supermarket. But they are more likely to need an ICU bed if they catch Covid so they should avoid supermarkets etc & focus on lower risk ways to improve their mental health.

This thread is about mental health, that doesn’t equate to taking Covid risks. I think a lot of anger is misdirected at the vulnerable but I don’t think it’s a lot to ask that the vulnerable avoid supermarkets when others are carrying the weight of having their business shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

How likely are they to get covid in a supermarket ffs?

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    How likely are they to get covid in a supermarket ffs?

I know people who have contracted Covid who said they never go anywhere else. Plus NPHET flagged them as a risk a few weeks ago.

It must be awful to feel vilified and targeted, to feel that if only you lock yourself away others can live their lives.

It must be awful to feel vilified and targeted, to feel that if only you lock yourself away others can live their lives.

No one here is suggesting that you’re clutching at straws.

That's exactly what they are suggesting.

I'm allright Jack...

Very much not in the spirit of the thread at all.

My view is that who ever wants to go shopping or up the mountain or whatever it is that helps them get a bit of relief, then go. If a person who is medically vulnerable decides to go to Tesco at 2pm on a Saturday, what of it.

My view is that who ever wants to go shopping or up the mountain or whatever it is that helps them get a bit of relief, then go. If a person who is medically vulnerable decides to go to Tesco at 2pm on a Saturday, what of it.

That’s your view

Don’t say people are vilifying the elderly because we don’t have the same view

That’s your view

Don’t say people are vilifying the elderly because we don’t have the same view

You are missing the point totally.

This thread is about mental health.

They are going stir crazy being kept in like prisoners. Partly because you have another crowd going on here as well, ignore NPHET etc and sod the restrictions.

Or is this thread not about everyone's mental health?

• Advertisement

You are missing the point totally.

This thread is about mental health.

They are going stir crazy being kept in like prisoners. Partly because you have another crowd going on here as well, ignore NPHET etc and sod the restrictions.

Or is this thread not about everyone's mental health?

I’d love to go back to work and see my friends or go for a drive outside my county. All things that would be great for my mental health.

But I don’t because I’m being asked to stay at home for my safety and for others.

Not sure what you’re not getting. We’ve all made sacrifices.

Advertisement