Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Golden Girl, thank you. Thats very nice what you said. Motherhood is not easy and in the lockdown..uff. there are good days and bad..
    Unfortunately i had to go to doctor for antidepresant tablets as i can not cope with Level 5 anymore. Missing my family abroad, cant do anything. So there I am... 34th birthday locked in the house with tablets. I hope Goverment will wake up soon..as mental health of people is a really big problem. Majority of my friends now are on the pills. Crazy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The fear with every little thing that might be wrong with you. Have a bit of a stuffy nose this evening, and I'm thinking is this the start of it. Hope not but the fear is there with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

The fear with every little thing that might be wrong with you. Have a bit of a stuffy nose this evening, and I'm thinking is this the start of it. Hope not but the fear is there with everything.

Try not to worry.

St. Philip Neri said anxiety is like a toxic vapor.

St. Francis de Sales tells us: "It will be quite enough to receive the evils that come upon us from time to time, without anticipating them by the imagination."

"Above all things, calm and tranquilize your mind, and compose your judgment and will; then quietly and gently pursue your aim, adopting suitable means."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Don’t worry about a stuffy noise, I get one regularly, use Vick’s rub . Mine clears every time and if u have no other symptoms, def not Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

If you have it (big if) in reality you will likely develop a little cough and have to put extra sugar in your tea for a few days. Were you always afraid of picking up illnesses and colds? Would you continue to wear a mask when going out and doing daily activities if covid was completely eliminated?

• Advertisement

I got a cold December 2019 and took me nearly two weeks to shift, longest ever it took me to get te rid of, I’m wondering was that actually Covid. I haven’t had one bit of a cold in well over a year. I’m thinking the masks are helping to stop picking up any colds.

Parachutes wrote: »
    If you have it (big if) in reality you will likely develop a little cough and have to put extra sugar in your tea for a few days. Were you always afraid of picking up illnesses and colds? Would you continue to wear a mask when going out and doing daily activities if covid was completely eliminated?

Sugar in my tea to get over covid? This virus isn't a cold, so I have every right to be afraid, so don't dismiss it.

fin12 wrote: »
    I got a cold December 2019 and took me nearly two weeks to shift, longest ever it took me to get te rid of, I’m wondering was that actually Covid. I haven’t had one bit of a cold in well over a year. I’m thinking the masks are helping to stop picking up any colds.

I came back from a trip abroad in Jan 20 and picked up a nasty dose, lungs were in bits so I'm thinking there's a good chance it was the covid. I've been tested regularly throughout the pandemic and have never come back positive or gotten sick even though I've had to self isolate a couple of times for being in close contact with individuals who tested positive. It definitely would have been here then or I could have brought one of the first cases into Ireland. I guess we'll never know.

November 2019 when I last had a cold as well, took 3 weeks to shift, definitely the longest as well. And nothing since then which I find very odd, with such a contagious virus.

Sugar in my tea to get over covid? This virus isn't a cold, so I have every right to be afraid, so don't dismiss it.

Vast, vast majority have no symptoms at all.

• Advertisement

Vast, vast majority have no symptoms at all.

Ah, so you're only here to dismiss people's concerns. Grand so.

November 2019 when I last had a cold as well, took 3 weeks to shift, definitely the longest as well. And nothing since then which I find very odd, with such a contagious virus.

Honestly don’t worry Away with the fairies. I say it’s just a blocked nose and that’s all. If I get a very bad cold again like I did in December 2019 and lose my taste or smell well that’s when ill really start to panic and get a test.

Ah, so you're only here to dismiss people's concerns. Grand so.

I mean there's concerns and then there is being scared witless of your own shadow. I get it, the media and government are pushing the fear hard to get people to comply but if you are otherwise healthy, the worst that will happen to you is a little sickness for a few days.

Honestly don’t worry Away with the fairies. I say it’s just a blocked nose and that’s all. If I get a very bad cold again like I did in December 2019 and lose my taste or smell well that’s when ill really start to panic and get a test.

Somebody came into work coughing during the week. But there's nothing I can do now, it is what it is. But any other symptoms and I'll get it checked out.

I mean there's concerns and then there is being scared witless of your own shadow. I get it, the media and government are pushing the fear hard to get people to comply but if you are otherwise healthy, the worst that will happen to you is a little sickness for a few days.

A little sickness for a few days? Yet one of the deaths reported today and they were 39 years old. How can you say such a thing with people dying and not to mention 1 in 20 end up with long covid. Those are odds, I don't like all that much.

A little sickness for a few days? Yet one of the deaths reported today and they were 39 years old. How can you say such a thing with people dying and not to mention 1 in 20 end up with long covid. Those are odds, I don't like all that much.

Died of Covid or died with covid. The way the numbers are reported that 39 year old could have been hit by a bus, but because it's within 28 days of a positive PCR = Covid stat. I guarantee that 39 year old had a serious underlying condition. Sad? unbelievably so but still not a reason to be afraid of human contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

As at the 29th January, just 26 people aged 44 and under had died with Covid, out of 117,000 cases. Most had underlying conditions too.

The odds are in your favour.

Died of Covid or died with covid. The way the numbers are reported that 39 year old could have been hit by a bus, but because it's within 28 days of a positive PCR = Covid stat. I guarantee that 39 year old had a serious underlying condition. Sad? unbelievably so but still not a reason to be afraid of human contact.

My aunt died last week, she caught covid-19 in hospital even though she went in with extreme underlying conditions and dementia..she died and they put it down as covid, it's an absolute scare mongering farce.

In America alone 10% of the population are old aged "senior citizens" that 10% take 30% of all the medicines and take up 50% off all hospital beds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I’m not aiming this comment at anyone in particular. As a general comment I do think the way COVID has caused people in general to talk about older people dying is unfortunate. Yes death is a fact of life but does all life not have value, does a 78 year old, for example, not deserve a good shot at a few extra years? I’ve found a lot of people have dismissed all older people’s deaths with ah shure they were dying anyways. Some like the lady mentioned above probably were but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I’m not aiming this comment at anyone in particular. As a general comment I do think the way COVID has caused people in general to talk about older people dying is unfortunate. Yes death is a fact of life but does all life not have value, does a 78 year old, for example, not deserve a good shot at a few extra years? I’ve found a lot of people have dismissed all older people’s deaths with ah shure they were dying anyways. Some like the lady mentioned above probably were but not all.

Yes they do but unfortunately it's generally older people with other conditions and the average age of death is 84.

I wish the government did more with nursing homes and people catching it in hospitals but a lot of deaths are caused by people visiting hospitals and catching it there with other underlying conditions.

You also have the idiots arriving home from abroad and then staying with their elderly parents and people think who it is a hoak who visit their elderly relatives regardless. Also a lot of older people just want to see their family member and hug their grand kids and don't think about the severity of catching it.

If there was any significant risk to people under 70 schools would not be open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

I sympathise with anyone and everyone who lost a loved one, especially at the moment, but can we please all stay on topic in this thread.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have managed to pull myself up from the booth straps over the last 2 weeks and now I have a plan for my rose garden. I am actually looking forward to digging the place up. Not sure yet if I will opt for new shrubs or the old ones might still be savable. I have kind of neglected the old ones for the last year.

Dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Been feeling a bit meh the last few days. Generally I have it good but getting tired of the Groundhog Day vibe recently. Feels like an age since Christmas and hard to identify things to look forward to.

So I decided to take today off and chill out, watch some of a TV series and then went for a good walk when the weather improved. It has certainly helped. Just hoping the numbers reduce down to a level where some restrictions can be lifted - be great to have the parents able to visit us and maybe even go out for a meal with the wife.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Been feeling a bit meh the last few days. Generally I have it good but getting tired of the Groundhog Day vibe recently. Feels like an age since Christmas and hard to identify things to look forward to.

So I decided to take today off and chill out, watch some of a TV series and then went for a good walk when the weather improved. It has certainly helped. Just hoping the numbers reduce down to a level where some restrictions can be lifted - be great to have the parents able to visit us and maybe even go out for a meal with the wife.

Onwards and upwards.

The improving weather is helping for sure. Living beside the M50 and hearing the amount of traffic going by is quite dispiriting though. Seems like a lot of people have lost interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

The improving weather is helping for sure. Living beside the M50 and hearing the amount of traffic going by is quite dispiriting though. Seems like a lot of people have lost interest.

To be honest though, there's more people working on site now than there was during the first lockdown (childcare workers etc). Also, I think people are not putting off urgent issues this time around. People are going to the dentist and the doctor, plumbers and electricians are coming to houses etc. I do know some people that break the 5km to go for a walk along the pier, or up the mountains, and that I'm sort of okay with. All of this is contributing to more traffic on the road than last April.

I have decided that I'm going to see a therapist when things improve enough that you can have face to face therapy. I've never suffered from any kind of mental health issues before. In fact I'd consider myself a really optimistic, go with the flow, it'll all turn out alright in the end sort of person. And I have a great life, don't get me wrong. But the lack of interaction with my wider support group outside of my immediate family, the incessant bad news on the radio/television/newspapers and the effort to balance home working and home schooling is finally starting to take its toll. I have quite a few...what I can only call "sad" days over the past six weeks.

I don't see a point of starting therapy now. It's like starting physio for a broken arm, when your arm continues to get broken every week. Apart from the fact that I can't see how Zoom sessions would work, when I have no privacy in the house and hate zoom anyway. I just have to drive on through the next nine (jesus...) weeks and hope that with improving weather and the kids back in school, I can achieve some sort of mental equilibrium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Please guys help, give some ideas how to survive this horrible time.

I got a baby in april 2020. Since that time i am at home mostly alone (husband at work) with my son. Baby and lockdown and being forgein person with no other family omg. I cant cope anymore. Phonix park i know by hearth i think. I am walking or jogging with buggy in the rain. I am practicing stresful eating. I know every corner in Aldi. Cant drink alco as i am with baby (breastfeeding). What else i can do? Studying reading is though as he needs attention all the time.
    Ehhhh :(

Audiobooks keep your hands free and are good for letting one temporarily escape into a story. Librivox and the Gutenberg Project have free recordings of older books that are out of copyright. They have the 'classics' and a wide range of genres from Aesop's Fables for children, to frontier tales of Glacier National Park; from Tolstoy to PG Wodehouse, or Jane Austen to Jules Verne. Some of them are also on YouTube. Most all of the books are in English, but there are a few in other languages.

If you aren't into reading, you could try listening to podcasts on a subject that interests you, or set yourself some sort of a minor challenge (entering a photo competition, or a poetry competition, or building a cushion maze for the wee one, or making a video documentary of your child to embarrass him/her later in life, lifting weights, charity walk, etc.)
    If you know anyone else with small children, maybe they might be in the same situation and want to hang out digitally during the day.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I fully appreciate that people have bigger and more real problems than me. I know that I get too upset when people think badly of me. And that technically I’m in the right but still I’m sad.
    My siblings children had a sleep over, my parents are next door so the three house holds mixed. I didnt call with my children. I couldn’t see the point in 4 houses mixing. I know our kids haven’t been anywhere but all the parents work, children have childcare etc. I want my normal life back. And as much as it sucks we have to stay apart to achieve that. So I didn’t call. I didn’t break the 5km rule. Now I’m getting the cold shoulder. I feel so sad they are thick with me and I feel sad cos the cousins were sad cos they missed my children. But in all conscience I couldn’t risk it.

I find it hard to decipher if my anxiety makes me too careful at times. I’m anxious by nature and couldn’t bear to put anyone at risk of Covid. But people tell me that’s the anxiety talking and I should let family meet ups happen. But I can’t but now I’m devastated that I caused sadness and I feel like sh*t.

Loueze, I’m sorry you are finding things hard. It is difficult to see an end to this. But we have to hope and trust in the vaccine, it will have to get better.

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mother. Not being able to complete the headstone is v tough. It’s like grieving as well as living is on hold. All our normal supports and ways of dealing with things have been taken from us. I wish you peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Lisha wrote: »

I find it hard to decipher if my anxiety makes me too careful at times. I’m anxious by nature and couldn’t bear to put anyone at risk of Covid. But people tell me that’s the anxiety talking and I should let family meet ups happen. But I can’t but now I’m devastated that I caused sadness and I feel like sh*t.

You are doing the best that you can do. That's enough. It's all any of us can do really.

• Advertisement

You are doing the best that you can do. That's enough. It's all any of us can do really.

Thank you. While logically I know you are right, it hurts that family members don’t see it this way and think I’m just being arkward in keeping the cousins apart. I don’t have a great relationship with my siblings and normally I go out of way to get the cousins together but I just feel that the current ph rules are too important.

Advertisement