Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Perhaps. But when this is all over and the bodies are counted its then you'll see loss of emotional control and lashing out and Leo and the 'freedom of movement' boys will be the one's in the firing line.

Did you vote for the Irish Freedom Party

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think the inaction on movement is letting the virus get a foothold. For people to still be able to travel in large groups to affected areas and then back to their localities spreading the virus is crazy. Just seem like a rabbit caught in the headlights to me.

The virus was always going to get a foothold unless you closed the whole airspace and ferries from when we first heard of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Fake news

Yes you are right heard it on 2 fm today checked on Reuter’s now.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Fake news

Hardly the first thing posted in here to be fake!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

citysights wrote: »
    Ronaldo is going to transform the hotels he owns in Portugal into hospitals for the sick. Fair play. I heard this today and thought what a good person.

That's been confirmed by his representatives as bull.

Yet again more fake news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

However, rightly or wrongly, the WHO does not encourage closing borders

The WHO are loosing some credibility with this. All last week and the week before our politicians wee saying they were following 'best practices' and WHO guidelines, and what have you, all as a reason to do nothing. Some. Countries (and too few) took early and prudent action and didn't wait for the WHO to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

This lines up very closely with how I've been viewing things this weekend. This morning I had to debunk that fake Whatsapp call about the imminent lockdown doing the rounds, but yet my mother is still messaging cousins involved with the army and listening to schoolyard rumours..

Will almost invariably end up eating my words, but the HSE/government have done a far better job than expected so far imo

Though you will always get the horses mouth info, as like the customer in my car who had just been drinking with Teflon Bertie and says there's definitely a lock down of some kind coming Tuesday. We will see, my opinion, might well be something to all this rumour mongering as if keeps coming at you from several directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The pair of them should be put on trial for treason. Many Irish people will die because of their inaction.

Maybe you should go learn what treason is.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Government window dressing
    No, extra trained organised manpower to boost logistics, equipment deployment etc.

Where do you think it's going to go? Multiple hospital deliveries over the next weeks/months. Just because they didn't charge for the first order doesn't mean they won't next time. But well done for trying to make a bad thing out of a good one.

You reckon they'll spend the 29 thousand euro on food deliveries? How long is the charity set up? I am not being smart but i never heard of it. Just seems like, for 29k, there should have been more than 6 deliveries made.

Definitely money for someone's back pocket, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm sure it won't be to imprison people but it will be a support for communities for practical stuff and to help maintain safety for people.

Their visibility and presence alone will help keep things in order.

We will have new rules to play by and hopefully everyone can do their part to stick to them.

Contact tracing
    Driving fire engines
    Shop security/crowd control
    Support the gaurds

That's the sort of stuff they'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Perhaps. But when this is all over and the bodies are counted its then you'll see loss of emotional control and lashing out and Leo and the 'freedom of movement' boys will be the one's in the firing line.

No we won't.
    It's not all foreigners on those planes, there were Irish coming home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

murpho999 wrote: »
    Flights are being restricted. No flights to Italy and Spain now being restricted.
    Long after the horse has bolted. We are about to be put in lockdown because of a month of inaction.
    Also, you have to allow your own citizens fly home.
    No problem. They should've been brought home a month ago and monitored.
    I don't get why you're pushing this agenda of Ireland being ruled by Europe. We're one of the first countries outside of Spain and Italy to close schools and now bars.
    Because the very reason cited for not stopping flights was because of our freedom of movement obligations. An utterly insane stance given that a pandemic was sweeping across the continent. Its still so baffling to me I can't get my head around it.
    We're being much responsible than the UK that now doesn't have Europe to answer to.
    I agree with you here. The English were putting on Soccer matches with Ath Madrid when that part of Spain was rife.

It really beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

branie2 wrote: »
    I heard that the virus was manmade

Oh em Gee. That's like so eight threads ago. We're doing ISIS right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

fritzelly wrote: »
    Christ some people have to make it all political
    So, how democracy works is that we get to elect leaders who are supposed to make decisions that are in the best interest of the people.

Unelected, check
    Not a proper government, check
    Making decisions leading to casualties and loss of life, check.
    Flights are being restricted. No flights to Italy and Spain now being restricted.

Also, you have to allow your own citizens fly home.
    Mandatory isolation in hotels for two weeks upon return. Many, many other countries are doing this. We're not fúckin mavericks like you're suggesting.
    I don't get why you're pushing this agenda of Ireland being ruled by Europe.

We're one of the first countries outside of Spain and Italy to close schools and now bars.

We're being much responsible than the UK that now doesn't have Europe to answer to
    And hasn't it been handy to have the media rub that in our faces "look how much less death our governments are causing by their actions".

The fact is, there was widespread community transmission in Cork last Friday. That was when the schools should have been shut. The government are doing some herd immunity experimentation of their own, trying to infect people. Otherwise why would they be so bloody obtuse about how they release figures, locations... They wield all the power to drop feed information and obstruct and muddle facts, which they've done with immense efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

I heard nothing about a lockdown. But the Irish Army asked a mate of mine who recently retired from the army to come in tomo at 6am. He drove heavy tanks and machinery for the army. What his going to be doing, i don't know.

Irish army lol

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I think a problem we have is many people can't differentiate between an event of short duration and low impact and a really serious one that will last indefinitely.

They see newspapers with headlines like 'Weather Bomb to bring Destruction to Ireland'. Here George Lee talk about the catstrophe of Storm Lorenzo approaching (maxed at 107km gust). The constant orange warnings for weather and some reds for coastal areas etc. This leaves people developing warning fatigue.

Brexit and Climate Change discussion have also worn down people's ability to see an imminent crisis from a less immediate one. They can't discern the difference between a crisis that requires rapid change in behaviour from one which requires change at a slower pace.

You've hit the nail on the head there. I have a friend who still believes its just another 'BS news story' and compares it to when some people feared WW3 was about to start a couple of months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

The virus was always going to get a foothold unless you closed the whole airspace and ferries from when we first heard of it

If it was done too early then people would go nuts. Wider public needs to be scared before they would accept any sort of restrictions.

We were crying out for restrictions re parade and schools but unfortunately we needed to see cases and deaths here before these restrictions would be accepted.

If we had no cases and the government shut down the country then there would be outcry that they were being too extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

citysights wrote: »
    Ronaldo is going to transform the hotels he owns in Portugal into hospitals for the sick. Fair play. I heard this today and thought what a good person.

Can you use Google before posting fake news? First result says fake.

rob316 wrote: »
    Did you vote for the Irish Freedom Party

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not shut the Country, stop flights from Italy and other hotspots. If they had've done that there'd be no need to shut the Country now. New Zealand has shut its borders tight and has fukk all cases.

This isn't hindsight. I've been scratching my head since the virus landed in Europe esp Italy why our fukkwits didn't immediately cancel all flights from badly affected areas. But they didn't because they're in thrall to their EU masters.

Did you see the Trinity Professor ask on Prime Time why the hell they didn't do it while Coveney was sitting opposite him waffling on about 'freedom of movement'.

Tell me, what kind of psycho does it take to put some abstract political value above a disease that gives zero fukks about human politics?

You really think that would have stopped it. Really. Guy in Italy really need to get back to Ireland but they have stopped flight what can I do??? Its not like I am on a continent and other countries are up the road is it. Why just hotspots very likely we get it from any country with it

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

You do realise that the virus was probably here al ready before the likes of Italy happened.

We live in a global connected world now. It's got into every country and it is by no means rampant in Ireland yet.

You can't blame politicians for everything.

It was insane allow travel in and out of Italy in my opinion. People are STILL allowed to freely travel with no restrictions. ‘Asking’ people to self isolate when they’ve travelled somewhere isn't going to work as these people don’t see beyond themselves. If they are stupid enough to do that, they will be stupid enough to be walking shops etc spreading the virus if they have it. Most people are being responsible but some still don’t get it!

It was always going to be here but we could Jeff done more to delay it in my opinion giving us more time to prepare health services etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Yeah we will but if nothing happens then the rumours will start for the next day.

Some workers from virgin media one news are saying it’s not true. All WhatsApp rumours

I don't want to add fuel to the fire unnecessarily but I have heard directly from a very reliable contact (not WhatsApp sh*te) that they will be stepping up presence over the course of this week. There will be visible armed soldiers on the streets at times, this will be to deter civil disobedience but they will be mainly there to assist the HSE/Gardai on a practical level.

This is a case of all hands on deck and having an extra presence with the inevitable aura of panic that is growing due to the increasing numbers of border closures and lockdowns on the nearby continent. This isn't martial law or some crazy lockdown people have been imagining here. It's just an increased presence from the Armed forces given the rapidly evolving global situation. It is public knowledge that they have been assisting the HSE with contact tracing already this week.

Edit: We will likely be in a spain type "lockdown" by next weekend.

Also just to add molly molones in Temple bar should have its licensed revoked and the owners should never be allowed apply or acquire one ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

What????!!! I'm a fukking pleb yet I saw it! How the hell could you not see it?!!!

It was spreading like wildfire for weeks before it landed here. What brainpower is required to know it'd spread here if we invited it in with open arms?

Your average political leader in this part of the world is a school teacher, accountant, lawyer or farmer. We’ve hardly any scientific community represented in our politician leadership, except a former GP as Taoiseach and we’ve a health service that has largely been about fire fighting one mess after another.

That’s what we’re basing this on.

It’s a lot better than a bunch of jingoistic, upper class, wafflers or a bunch of redneck conspiracy nuts, but it sure isn’t the kind of decision making you would get in a system that’s very prepared for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What I find so surreal is the global scale of this beast.
    Over the last few months, I have shared stories with friends and family abroad on social media apps about weather alerts, major flooding, destructive storms etc and they often find it incredulous that it's happening while they sit outside in 30oC heat.
    Equally when I talk to friends who witnessed the massive bush fires in Australia, I can't picture that going on from my cold Irish fire side.
    But today I spoke with friends in UAE, England and Spain and we all could relate to each other and share stories how this has affected us all.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The governor of my state just went on tv to announce school closures and social distancing measures and he was working hard not to break down. Like on the verge of tears the whole time. I mean, wtf? what arent they telling us if veteran politicians cant control their emotions over this!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

The pair of them should be put on trial for treason. Many Irish people will die because of their inaction.
    The only possibly appropriate charge would be malfeasance in public office. Don't know how that would fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

However, rightly or wrongly, the WHO does not encourage closing borders

Any particular reason for this?

If it was done too early then people would go nuts. Wider public needs to be scared before they would accept any sort of restrictions. We were crying out for restrictions re parade and schools but unfortunately we needed to see cases and deaths here before these restrictions would be accepted. If we had no cases and the government shut down the country then they would be outcry that they were being too extreme.

Its called leadership. If they haven't the bottle to take the right decisions because they'll temporarily piss some people off then they shouldn't be there.

In a few weeks time people would realise and appreciate what the Govt did when they see the rest of Europe incl the UK crippled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Maybe you should go learn what treason is.

Perhaps you mean genocide... Tried in Pboenix Park and then executed by the Healy Raes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement