Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

Bigger danger is the scumbags will be shooting the soldiers

Unfortunately accurate. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/klillington/status/1239310524543913986?s=19

Heartwarming and a tonic to all the selfish behaviour we've seen over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

theballz wrote: »
    Not to get political but I think this current government deserve so much credit for how they are dealing with this.

Leo should be remembered as one of the greatest leaders this country ever had. Between Brexit and this, he will forever be a massive part of the history of the state.

I think the inaction on movement is letting the virus get a foothold. For people to still be able to travel in large groups to affected areas and then back to their localities spreading the virus is crazy. Just seem like a rabbit caught in the headlights to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Training I should think. If he's retired the law would need to be changed to allow him re-enlist

He drove APCS in Africa and Lebanon. He was in for twenty years, when 19 years old. His now 41. He just told me he was recalled for 6am duty in the morning to help out. I trust him on this. For everyone else wait for official announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah like your liberal morons have done a smashing job.

Harris: "Stopping flights from Italy just won't work."

Coveney: "The EU is about freedom of movement"

That's what these cretins have been saying while this virus has taken root, taken lives and will take many more because of their open borders fanaticism.

You do realise that the virus was probably here al ready before the likes of Italy happened.

We live in a global connected world now. It's got into every country and it is by no means rampant in Ireland yet.

You can't blame politicians for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

So good in fact that they allowed the virus to come in unimpeded and spread throughout the land like the plague while blathering on about EU freedom of movement.

Surely you can appreciate that being part of EU does bind our decision-makers to some extent..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I heard nothing about a lockdown. But the Irish Army asked a mate of mine who recently retired from the army to come in tomo at 6am. He drove heavy tanks and machinery for the army. What his going to be doing, i don't know.

Irish army hasn't had any heavy tanks since 1969. If you're going to make something up, at least do a quick google and make it vaguely believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Yeah like your liberal morons have done a smashing job.

Harris: "Stopping flights from Italy just won't work."

Coveney: "The EU is about freedom of movement"

That's what these cretins have been saying while this virus has taken root, taken lives and will take many more because of their open borders fanaticism.

Again though, easy to say all this in hindsight. To most it seemed like a ludicrous overreaction. This thing is progressing at a remarkable speed.

Mid last week I cancelled an event and I had people telling me I was being “hysterical”

At this stage, to avoid financial losses, I would expect you’ll start to see things cancelled way out into the end of summer. It’s all too unpredictable and I can’t see sponsors or promotors wanting to lash money into stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,687 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I so want this virus to vanish and to have a new sense of life and how precious it is. I wanna live God dam it, I wanna live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    There really should be a serious effort made to cripple them financially once this is all over.

Hungry cúnts.

I'd completely agree with that. I really hope a few newspapers pick up on it, too.

Although in saying that, some people are taking this very, very seriously. Wouldn't surprise me to see someone cause damage to the pub (break windows, graffiti, etc) as a reaction. It really is a scummy thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Jin luk wrote: »
    Had they shut everything at the start not much would be taking heed right now, correct answers and decisions from them

Not shut the Country, stop flights from Italy and other hotspots. If they had've done that there'd be no need to shut the Country now. New Zealand has shut its borders tight and has fukk all cases.

This isn't hindsight. I've been scratching my head since the virus landed in Europe esp Italy why our fukkwits didn't immediately cancel all flights from badly affected areas. But they didn't because they're in thrall to their EU masters.

Did you see the Trinity Professor ask on Prime Time why the hell they didn't do it while Coveney was sitting opposite him waffling on about 'freedom of movement'.

Tell me, what kind of psycho does it take to put some abstract political value above a disease that gives zero fukks about human politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I think a problem we have is many people can't differentiate between an event of short duration and low impact and a really serious one that will last indefinitely.

They see newspapers with headlines like 'Weather Bomb to bring Destruction to Ireland'. Here George Lee talk about the catstrophe of Storm Lorenzo approaching (maxed at 107km gust). The constant orange warnings for weather and some reds for coastal areas etc. This leaves people developing warning fatigue.

Brexit and Climate Change discussion have also worn down people's ability to see an imminent crisis from a less immediate one. They can't discern the difference between a crisis that requires rapid change in behaviour from one which requires change at a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Get Real wrote: »
    As would I, and fair point. But if there's no legislation, and a set in his ways aul lad, or group of hardmen, or a scumbag, tell him to fck off and continue on.

He can't touch them, he's not going to point a gun at them, and the rest of the crowd will look as he stands there, having no legislation to back himself up.

Might be different in a few weeks if they do pass legislation. I'm just questioning the rumours of a full lockdown tomorrow/Tuesday. But there could well be some law I don't know about.

There is no lockdown and the military will be used for regular aid to the civil powers, just like if they were assisting flood defences or (if you’ve got a hard on at the idea of soldiers with guns in the streets) cash in transit and special criminal court sittings. They’re not going to be replacing Gardaí on the beat. More likely you’ll see them guarding places like government buildings, releasing Gardaí for other duties; or performing logistical tasks. If public transport broke down for example, they’d step in as they have done many times before. The HSE is talking about requisitioning 10,000 extra beds in an emergency. The military will provide the manpower and vehicles to move equipment around, knock holes in walls, whatever you need.

Only in a dire emergency, well down the road with Gardaí out sick and scummers taking the p1ss would you see the defence forces deployed guns in hand to go maintain order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Irish army hasn't had any heavy tanks since 1969. If you're going to make something up, at least do a quick google and make it vaguely believable.

Armed personnel carriers ( APCS) he drove.

Johnny i don't have any reason to scare people. This my mate telling me this and you can believe or don't. I just passed on info i learned tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I just have to vent my frustration here for a sec.

My nine year old nephew has been waiting for heart surgery since this time last year. His surgery has been due to go ahead and has been cancelled on the day, on no less than eight occasions in the past twelve months. My 60 year old mother (who looks after my brother who has special needs), drives four hours to look after their other kids each time the surgery has been scheduled. The surgery is due to happen on Wed this week.

I just know that it's going to be cancelled and I've been begging my mother not to go up for fear one of them will give the virus to her. They're in a major, major hot-spot.

I offered to go in her place, but she's so stubborn and my sister is just completely demented from worry so it's a fraught situation. I'm going to put my foot down on Tuesday if it still hasn't been cancelled by then. I'll set fire to the feckin house if it comes to it. That would potentially result in less collateral damage.

I’m sorry your family are going through such a difficult time. Best wishes to you all. Must be very frightening for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1239338269688713220

Extraordinary to apply this right across USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Jin luk wrote: »
    Had they shut everything at the start not much would be taking heed right now, correct answers and decisions from them

Bottom line is Coveny and Harris both said we couldn't go against Eu freedom of movement,
    now, along with many other Eu nations, even Germany is restricting movement so it makes both Harris and Coveny look like pathetic, weak, servile fools who put the Eu before the safety of the nation when most of the other countries did the opposite.

Realistically its a total humiliation for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Nijmegen wrote: »
    There is no lockdown and the military will be used for regular aid to the civil powers, just like if they were assisting flood defences or (if you’ve got a hard on at the idea of soldiers with guns in the streets) cash in transit and special criminal court sittings. They’re not going to be replacing Gardaí on the beat. More likely you’ll see them guarding places like government buildings, releasing Gardaí for other duties; or performing logistical tasks. If public transport broke down for example, they’d step in as they have done many times before. The HSE is talking about requisitioning 10,000 extra beds in an emergency. The military will provide the manpower and vehicles to move equipment around, knock holes in walls, whatever you need.

Only in a dire emergency, well down the road with Gardaí out sick and scummers taking the p1ss would you see the defence forces deployed guns in hand to go maintain order.
    U sure? As i said wait till tomorrow to see will there nd a lockdown or not 🀔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

The army still has armoured vehicles to this day.

They will be put work wherever needs it, it's all hands on deck now for all these front line workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Things starting to get real when this lot starts closing
    https://twitter.com/timjhogan/status/1239357645389250561?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

murpho999 wrote: »
    You do realise that the virus was probably here al ready before the likes of Italy happened.

We live in a global connected world now. It's got into every country and it is by no means rampant in Ireland yet.

You can't blame politicians for everything.

So its in Ireland, with a small number of cases yet you're saying we were still correct in continuing to fly people in from all the affected areas?

How the hell does that compute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

wakka12 wrote: »

If Brazil gets it the world is doomed. something to do with bats in Brazil getting it again and it getting stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The other bottom line is there are tens of thousands of Irish people coming home on those flights. Infected or not, they’re not exactly going to be able to say “Sorry Mary, you went on your holidays to Majorca 3 weeks ago! You’re just going to have to find a tent on the beach and make your life there.”

A huge % of commercial flights also carry small amounts of cargo and so on.

It’s not as simple as just snapping fingers, although I agree not doing it on EU matter of principle makes no sense, especially when those rules are all circumscribed by allowances for national emergencies and exactly this kind of event.

Bottom line is Coveny and Harris both said we couldn't go against Eu freedom of movement,
    now, along with many other Eu nations, even Germany is restricting movement so it makes both Harris and Coveny look like pathetic, weak, servile fools who put the Eu before the safety of the nation when most of the other countries did the opposite.

The pair of them should be put on trial for treason. Many Irish people will die because of their inaction.

https://twitter.com/klillington/status/1239310524543913986?s=19

Heartwarming and a tonic to all the selfish behaviour we've seen over the weekend.

:eek: Wow. If ever there was a con. He has 29k and he ordered 5 pizzas for a hospital. And they didn't even charge him.

Where does the money go? Think I'll need to make one of those gofundme pages. My mortgage could be wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

dockysher wrote: »
    U sure? As i said wait till tomorrow to see will there nd a lockdown or not 🀔

Yeah we will but if nothing happens then the rumours will start for the next day.

Some workers from virgin media one news are saying it’s not true. All WhatsApp rumours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Never miss an opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Will almost invariably end up eating my words, but the HSE/government have done a far better job than expected so far imo

Lets see about this time next week, and that's when we'll see the effect of them stalling and doing SFA until thursday the 12th. That said I'm glad they started.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement