Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've no reason to doubt him. He actually gave me a lot more detail which I didn't even bother to post here.

I personally believe you but it doesn’t hold any weight in this thread because of rumors that turned out to be absolute BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bottom line is Coveny and Harris both said we couldn't go against Eu freedom of movement,
    now, along with many other Eu nations, even Germany is restricting movement so it makes both Harris and Coveny look like pathetic, weak, servile fools who put the Eu before the safety of the nation when most of the other countries did the opposite.

Realistically its a total humiliation for them.

Humiliation if we are lucky, our priority is the safekeeping of OUR state and OUR people, if the EU get in the way of this then fûck the EU.. knuckle down and do whatever it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Oh em Gee. That's like so eight threads ago. We're doing ISIS right now.
    Only now thought that would be done already after China, 5G (thanks to Jim Core for that one), Russia (suspicious they have no case) and the Illuminati

leavingirl wrote: »
    Irish army lol

Our Army Rangers are considered 1 of the best even train other about terrorism and IED's including Israel. Win the Elites World Cups or whatever it is called. Also the only area to ever have money left from the budgets each year I have heard

• Registered Users Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All this crap about 'my mates in the army/gardai/public sector' needs to stop. There are clowns posting this tosh on here all the time for no reason other than whatever twisted gratification they get from the thanks or the angry comments in response.

There won't be a 'lockdown' tomorrow or any other day in the immediate future because the legislation doesn't exist to implement it. Simple as that.

For anyone reading this thread who is worried or anxious about this rubbish being touted please try to put your mind at rest. There won't be any massive upheaval tomorrow and if the Govt decide to do it there'll be plenty about it in the news well beforehand.

To any of you trolls out there getting off on people's worries and anxieties you should get a life. There's a lot more pleasure to be had in helping people if you'd like to give that a try.

The government doesn't need legislation to implement a lockdown. If they and the HSE recommend it, it will happen. Who in their right mind would ignore it?

And you're assuming that a lockdown might be perceived as a bad thing by the public (it may not be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This situation is nerve racking but this is minor league stuff I imagine than what people who lived through wars and london blitzs etc.

If it was done too early then people would go nuts. Wider public needs to be scared before they would accept any sort of restrictions.

We were crying out for restrictions re parade and schools but unfortunately we needed to see cases and deaths here before these restrictions would be accepted.

If we had no cases and the government shut down the country then there would be outcry that they were being too extreme.

100% agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Always an armchair quarterback who thinks they could do better.
    Stop flights from hotspots immediately. I don't think an armchair quarterback is required on this one. A 3 legged rabies riddled dog would bark that one out.

nocoverart wrote: »
    I personally believe you but it doesn’t hold any weight in this thread because of rumors that turned out to be absolute BS.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the info must be true. Very difficult to see how a lockdown in the Republic can be avoided now.

The UK is a different matter though.....wouldn't surprise me if Johnson tried to resist it and claimed it was 'unnecessary'.

FvHGn3t.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Jeez, take a break lad.

'Twas a bit OTT now that you mention it :o

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I don't want to add fuel to the fire unnecessarily but I have heard directly from a very reliable contact (not WhatsApp sh*te) that they will be stepping up presence over the course of this week. There will be visible armed soldiers on the streets at times, this will be to deter civil disobedience but they will be mainly there to assist the HSE/Gardai on a practical level.

This is a case of all hands on deck and having an extra presence with the inevitable aura of panic that is growing due to the increasing numbers of border closures and lockdowns on the nearby continent. This isn't martial law or some crazy lockdown people have been imagining here. It's just an increased presence from the Armed forces given the rapidly evolving global situation. It is public knowledge that they have been assisting the HSE with contact tracing already this week.

Edit: We will likely be in a spain type "lockdown" by next weekend.

Also just to add molly molones in Temple bar should have its licensed revoked and the owners should never be allowed apply or acquire one ever again.

BUT that's not a lockdown. I would have been stunned if the Army is not on standby to help. have mobile area for cases extra. But this stuff of a total lockdown is idiotic. Bars and clubs will be told to close Flight from x areas totally stopped will happen also I will say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

All this crap about 'my mates in the army/gardai/public sector' needs to stop. There are clowns posting this tosh on here all the time for no reason other than whatever twisted gratification they get from the thanks or the angry comments in response.

There won't be a 'lockdown' tomorrow or any other day in the immediate future because the legislation doesn't exist to implement it. Simple as that.

For anyone reading this thread who is worried or anxious about this rubbish being touted please try to put your mind at rest. There won't be any massive upheaval tomorrow and if the Govt decide to do it there'll be plenty about it in the news well beforehand.

To any of you trolls out there getting off on people's worries and anxieties you should get a life. There's a lot more pleasure to be had in helping people if you'd like to give that a try.
    You know in the OP there's a warning about exactly what they're doing now with the ridiculous rumours? Just report him. Might even be a threadban, that would be a nice bit of peace.
    Always an armchair quarterback who thinks they could do better.
    Go to sleep.
    Maybe keeping your mouth shut and not stirring anger is the best positive contribution you can make to the situation.
    Pointless ad hominem shows your argument is weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Shelga wrote: »
    I live at home and was away for the weekend (within Ireland)- was pretty sensible in terms of social distancing, considering how the situation was evolving by the hour. Still, I was worried about even coming home today, and giving something to my parents, who are 69 and 72, they both smoke, and dad has a heart condition.

I was on the phone last night to my mam, telling her to stay away from mass at all costs. I come home tonight and find out that not only did she go to mass, she was the one dishing out the bloody communion. :(

I'm glad I'm back now, if only to stop her organising some kind of geriatric Glastonbury in the front garden. :eek:

I'm really starting to get scared now. Just have to try stay calm and do an enforced media blackout for a couple of hours a day.

Was your mam trying to wind you up?

I was under the impression all weekend masses were cancelled.

In my area all weekend masses were cancelled but they extended the ban.

If it was done too early then people would go nuts. Wider public needs to be scared before they would accept any sort of restrictions.

We were crying out for restrictions re parade and schools but unfortunately we needed to see cases and deaths here before these restrictions would be accepted.

If we had no cases and the government shut down the country then there would be outcry that they were being too extreme.

That's why I think the 11am on Monday stories are bogus. If and when they move to announce the lockdown, they will drop hints in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

To be quite honest, ripping ourselves apart at 2 in the morning on the Internet isn’t going to achieve much.

We are where we are and we need to get on with it. If you want to have a tribunal about perceived indecision, I suggest you call for one when this is over as we don’t have time for this now.

Demand that they do something more about flights by raising the issue with people who can put it on the agenda and get something done.

As for testing everyone at the airport. I’d like to know how?

This is a highly virulent illness which shows almost no symptoms in the early stages, yet is highly infectious. There’s no commercially available rapid test yet and measuring temperatures worked reasonably for SARS but it doesn’t for this unless someone is quite symptomatic.

So basically either stop passenger flights, or limit them to very narrow ranges of people, or dont and you need to do that before they even get to the airport.

There isn’t any halfway house magic testing system that will beep if someone walks through and the US has now got thousands of people stuffed into airport corridors as the virus is probably hopping around from one to the next like crazy, which is probably making a bad situation far far worse.

At this stage we’re likely looking at a temporary suspension of intra EU passenger flights for a time, and domestic flights and high speed trains and so on too. It’s just taken a long time to arrive at a point where someone will push that button. Largely because it will cost billions upon billions and will very likely wipe out a ton of airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

murpho999 wrote: »
    Flights are being restricted. No flights to Italy and Spain now being restricted.

Also, you have to allow your own citizens fly home.

I don't get why you're pushing this agenda of Ireland being ruled by Europe.

We're one of the first countries outside of Spain and Italy to close schools and now bars.

We're being much responsible than the UK that now doesn't have Europe to answer to.

If they flew out on holidays to either Italy or Spain in the last week, they should suck it up for being stupid.

Are people still coming in from England and testing positive. The horse has bolted now anyway

The peron was talking about hotspots which Britain (Shockingly) is not 1. The only way to stop it was to shut down all travel a from last January and tell all Irish abroad (as they were the people to bring it in) your not coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This situation is nerve racking but this is minor league stuff I imagine than what people who lived through wars and london blitzs etc.

Even the minor league annoyances. Washing the hands fifty times more than normal. A scratch near my nose, “ oh fook, did that go in me nostril” opening your front door after coming back from town “oh fook, did I use hand sanitizer” and of course running out of hand sanitizer and all that sh1t LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's why I think the 11am on Monday stories are bogus. If and when they move to announce the lockdown, they will drop hints in advance.

Saying other rumours are false after posting your own rumour which must be true
    Talking offline to a friend whose sister who is well connected in the public sector and her info is that a lockdown 'is' on the way but that it is definitely not as imminent as 11am tomorrow : sometime in the next week or so but she doesn't know the date yet.

She reckons such a lockdown would be in operation for four weeks once launched.

They (govt) clearly think we're nowhere near peak number of cases yet.

Couldn't make this up - some posters on this thread are deluded to say the least

• Advertisement

Talking offline to a friend whose sister who is well connected in the public sector and her info is that a lockdown 'is' on the way but that it is definitely not as imminent as 11am tomorrow : sometime in the next week or so but she doesn't know the date yet.

She reckons such a lockdown would be in operation for four weeks once launched.

They (govt) clearly think we're nowhere near peak number of cases yet.

Very vague well done at least you can say your right if it ever happens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know people were wrong in pubs, etc.
    However these are example's of older people I've heard.
    They cancelled weekend mass in my area and left weekday mass. They were all planning on going during the week. So, they cancelled that also.

Social dancing was cancelled also. People wanted to know could it still go ahead if they promised to line dance and stay a meter apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Thank God the old government is still in charge with all their experience and familiarity with the system. Any new government would have **** its pants with all this in its first days on the job.

Not a staunch FG'er but I am highly reassured having these guys leading us through this than what could have been the alternative. Eek!

I lost my patience on the phone with someone earlier today. She was moaning about how she *might* have to cancel her trip to Spain and how she was still going and that she didn’t want to lose money on the booking (a couple of hundred euro spent in total...)

It was unbelievable!

She also thinks the whole thing is a big fuss over nothing and that people are “skiving off work” (she’s a manager)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Xertz wrote: »
    I lost my patience on the phone with someone earlier today. She was moaning about how she *might* have to cancel her trip to Spain and how she was still going and that she didn’t want to lose money on the booking (a couple of hundred euro spent in total...)

It was unbelievable!

She also thinks the whole thing is a big fuss over nothing and that people are “skiving off work” (she’s a manager)

Crisis likely over for her come Thursday if Spain close down the airports

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Daily contact with my parents, 70's, my mum is very aware, but my dad is a social animal.

l.

Same situation exactly, my Dad he will really need an eye kept on him, an EXTREMELY generous and good guy, he is all for visiting people, doing stuff outside, chatting with neighbors , a social person and I don’t think even he despite being an intelligent guy at his age always has the presence of mind to lock it down.. was on about visiting his sisters and taking some bits of food and snacks, that was nipped in the bud sharp.... one working in a food charity and the other wouldn’t give you the steam off her piss if you were on your fuçkin deathbed....

frillyleaf wrote: »
    They could have been quarantined like other countries are doing. The aim is to slow it down, not stop it

I was replying to someone who said if we had stopped flight from just those countries we be fine. I know we would have still got it I am not stupid. Still think we be maybe 50 cases behind. The thing is if they came from another country and not the hotspots why would we quarantine them. Unless you mean all passengers from overseas. Like to see that been tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

fritzelly wrote: »

The stupid are killers.

fritzelly wrote: »

She’s taking her lead from the U.K. media coverage and Tory policy btw and seems to think that the reaction here is “hysterical nonsense” and went on and on about how “incompetent” the Irish government is and how they’ll destroy the economy and are “just doing whatever the EU tells them”

That’s what you’re up against!

Honestly think the U.K. position is muddying the water here very dangerously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

An accurate depiction of the absolute sh*tc*nts deciding to head to molly Malone, in Temple Bar for a pint tonight.

ETLS9cjXkAEzfOh?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bouncer wasn't the brightest

https://twitter.com/gearoidmurphy_/status/1239337633882529792

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement