Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

murpho999 wrote: »
    Flights are being restricted. No flights to Italy and Spain now being restricted.

Also, you have to allow your own citizens fly home.

I don't get why you're pushing this agenda of Ireland being ruled by Europe.

Our first responsibility is to our population at home. As to those out side please complain to the Irish/British embassy where you currently are, We should be pulling down the shutters at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Strazdas wrote: »
    The government doesn't need legislation to implement a lockdown. If they and the HSE recommend it, it will happen. Who in their right mind would ignore it?

And you're assuming that a lockdown might be perceived as a bad thing by the public (it may not be).
    Then by definition it is not a 'lock-down', it's advice, recommendation, appeal for compliance etc.

A lock-down is mandatory and backed by threat of force.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Xertz wrote: »
    She’s taking her lead from the U.K. media coverage and Tory policy btw and seems to think that the reaction here is “hysterical nonsense” and went on and on about how “incompetent” the Irish government is and how they’ll destroy the economy and are “just doing whatever the EU tells them”

That’s what you’re up against!

Tell her to check the news today, the bit saying if you're not back by Thursday (the time that Spain has guaranteed airports open til) there's no guarantee she will get back for a long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,395 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very vague well done at least you can say your right if it ever happens

I posted it for what it was. If I was in the business of dispensing fake news or misleading info, I would have posted a big load of detail and precise dates (I actually have some more detail - which I won't be relaying here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

fritzelly wrote: »
    Tell her to check the news today, the bit saying if you're not back by Thursday (the time that Spain has guaranteed airports open til) there's no guarantee she will get back for a long time...

I’ve given up. She’ll probably just go anyway.

Maybe I should suggest a good source of tents. She might be there until 2021 at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I do love the humour mixed up with more serious stuff. But we are discussing a pretty serious disease. Apparently they are 4 young people very ill with COVID-19. They were taking steroids to treat sport injuries or enhance their performance in sport.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    I do love the humour mixed up with more serious stuff. But we are discussing a pretty serious disease. Apparently they are 4 young people very ill with COVID-19. They were taking steroids to treat sport injuries or enhance their performance in sport.

Fake news alert

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

https://twitter.com/klillington/status/1239310524543913986?s=19

Heartwarming and a tonic to all the selfish behaviour we've seen over the weekend.

One positive to this is that all the hipsters will be losing their beards if they want the masks to fit properly. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Austria has banned gatherings of more than 5 people. This is a good idea and will help them slow the spread.

It would be hard to police but we should all voluntarily commit to something similar in Ireland to help slow the spread and relieve pressure on health services.

Ironically at the time of my post ( decent amount of time later) this post had got 5 thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nothing very surprising about that from a goon on the door of a temple bar joint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

I posted it for what it was. If I was in the business of dispensing fake news or misleading info, I would have posted a big load of detail and precise dates (I actually have some more detail - which I won't be relaying here).

Ignore them. I was called out for posting info about the army earlier. I know what true, and these people are waste of time and effort. Let them find out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What you posted was vary vague like x could happen or y could happen. You are speaking from both sides of your a£$e. Very convenient have more detail but will not say just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Dancing With the Stars was wrapped up a week earlier yesterday evening. RTÉ made the decision on it during the afternoon and I heard on the radio shortly after 2pm.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Dancing With the Stars was wrapped up a week earlier yesterday evening. RTÉ made the decision on it during the afternoon and I heard on the radio shortly after 2pm.

Well 1 good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 35,896 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 35,896 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Capture6542.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Excellent and powerful campaign from Baltimore City Health on social distancing...

IMG-20200316-023042.jpg

There is also the scene from Devils advocate the look but touch touch one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Sweet Jesus. Tell me I'm seeing things :eek:
    Well it looks like the FG PR team are working from home.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Quit the Brit bashing...

We are in uncharted waters here.

The Brits have their own way of handling things, maybe six months down the line they will be proved right??

Can't keep on blaming the Brits for everything... Think Cheltenham here... I believe 15 thousand Irish made that pilgrimage,followed on by another 1750 that went to see the Liverpool match...

What about this weekend as the numbers racked up...

Every pub, restaurant, bar and tavern was jointed... Will we blame the Brits for that as well...???

A little bit of sense and personal responsibility here please.....

The world is fighting a major human virus here.... It's nothing to do with the black and tans

Cop the f*ck on..................

Talking offline to a friend whose sister who is well connected in the public sector and her info is that a lockdown 'is' on the way but that it is definitely not as imminent as 11am tomorrow : sometime in the next week or so but she doesn't know the date yet.

She reckons such a lockdown would be in operation for four weeks once launched.

They (govt) clearly think we're nowhere near peak number of cases yet.

One of the paradigms for handing out surprising/shocking news is to do it all in one go. The other is to announce one element at a time.

The government is clearly following this latter approach so IF they are going to do a major announcement tomorrow I expect it to focus on social isolation measures on Monday, to come into effect Tuesday. That's the biggest bang for the buck announcement. Other announcements will come in order of impact.

Then there will be announcements regarding hospitals, healthcare facilities on Tuesday as they're the next priority

After that I'm a little unclear on what will be announced when but I'd expect that we'll hear announcements regarding the Fire Brigade being repurposed, the Army providing Assistance to Civil Powers more widely, food and pharmacy deliveries, requisitioning and repurposing of barracks, hotels etc.

I'd expect it to culminate in a significant restriction in inward air travel (maybe even an almost full ban ) / mandatory fourteen isolation for all inward travellers announced on Thursday or Friday.

It seems they're going for the rolling approach rather than taking us directly to the end point right away. This is probably because they don't have everything they intend to announce on Thursday sorted out yet and that's playing into the phasing of this too.

I could be wrong and it'll be a big bang announcement but that doesn't seem to be their approach especially since there is so much to announce that fitting it all into one announcement would result in people missing important information.

I'm particularly curious what will happen at the border by week's end. If they're as serious as they seem to have become they'll try to close it but I'm a doctor not a national security adviser so Fed if I know how they'll do that. Still even an 80% effective closing would help hugely.

Looks more like a UFO to me
    Capture6542.jpg

Capture6542.jpg

In other news, man takes picture of cloud. Looks lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

One positive to this is that all the hipsters will be losing their beards if they want the masks to fit properly. ;-)

I've worked in a cleanroom environment where we had beard nets to go under masks, seemed to work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Did people not see this before now. Just checked the internet.

Defence Forces personnel have been told to report to barracks from Monday to be deployed where necessary to deal with the coronavirus outbreak.

A notice sent by Commandant Pat Dunlea, the officer commanding B company of 6 Infantry Batallion based in Athlone, has told personnel to be ready for an immediate notice to move.

The troops attached to the company have been asked to report with a full kit for deployment in the field for 72 hours.

This includes wet gear, a sleeping blanket, roll mat, warm gear and 72 hours of rations.

Right now this is status.
    What has happened is that Defence Forces members have been told to report to barracks on Monday and to be on standby to support civil authorities. They are under status yellow conditions.

It’s understood that members will be on standby in their barracks to provide whatever support is deemed necessary during the upcoming weeks.

Personnel have been told to pack kit with reference to aiding the civil authorities and inspections will be carried out to ensure all personnel have this completed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-defence-forces-personnel-told-to-report-to-barracks-1.4201172

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Omackeral wrote: »
    Imagine Reeling in the Years 2020 though....

This thread moves too fast to check for reposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

flanna01 wrote: »
    Quit the Brit bashing...

We are in uncharted waters here.

The Brits have their own way of handling things, maybe six months down the line they will be proved right??

Can't keep on blaming the Brits for everything... Think Cheltenham here... I believe 15 thousand Irish made that pilgrimage,followed on by another 1750 that went to see the Liverpool match...

What about this weekend as the numbers racked up...

Every pub, restaurant, bar and tavern was jointed... Will we blame the Brits for that as well...???

A little bit of sense and personal responsibility here please.....

The world is fighting a major human virus here.... It's nothing to do with the black and tans

Cop the f*ck on..................
    That's simply not true. A handful of bars in the cities were jointed but most restaurants and bars have seen a complete collapse in trade. Bars and restaurants would've closed anyway if they weren't told to because there was **** all people going into them.

Let us not confuse a few tourist traps in Temple bar (shameful as it was) with the national picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This puts an end to the nonsense and sh!t stirring
    speculation about a lockdown.

https://twitter.com/DF_COS/status/1239273901533822976

• Advertisement

Did people not see this before now. Just checked the internet.

Yeah old news - need to check the internet more often

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement