Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Xertz wrote: »
    Again though, easy to say all this in hindsight.

Excuse me Sir but this was not hindsight. I was saying it to anyone who'd listen over a month ago. And why on earth would hindsight be needed to know to limit the entrance of a virus before it comes in in large numbers and takes hold?

Its blindingly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

dockysher wrote: »
    U sure? As i said wait till tomorrow to see will there nd a lockdown or not 🀔

We’ve been hearing about army lockdowns on WhatsApp for days now, basically because the defence forces ordered units to readiness. There’s an automatic assumption that “get your gear” = “we’re gonna be imposing martial law”, when actually what it means (and always means with ATCP) is that the government is putting their most mobile and versatile pool of manpower to available status to do whatever, which is often as not basically providing logistical support.

I don’t see any pressing need in the streets for the army. Instead I see for example the need to rapidly deploy equipment to and set up new temporary hospitals. Hello army corps of engineers and logistics companies, we deliver to your door.

Need to feed healthcare workers in situ at scale? We can do that, we feed our guys on the side of mountains all the time.

Need to guard a government building that usually has a member of AGS standing outside it? No problem.

The fanciful ideas of martial law need to be put away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

The pair of them should be put on trial for treason. Many Irish people will die because of their inaction.

Didn't u say this a couple of times already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I’m sorry your family are going through such a difficult time. Best wishes to you all. Must be very frightening for you all.
    Thanks for the nice reply frilly leaf, I always really enjoy reading your posts here. I hope you and yours are managing in all of this.

I actually had a text from the mother a while ago saying she was talking to the aul fella about it, so they might send me yet. Fingers crossed.
    Not shut the Country, stop flights from Italy and other hotspots. If they had've done that there'd be no need to shut the Country now. New Zealand has shut its borders tight and has fukk all cases.

This isn't hindsight. I've been scratching my head since the virus landed in Europe esp Italy why our fukkwits didn't immediately cancel all flights from badly affected areas. But they didn't because they're in thrall to their EU masters.

Did you see the Trinity Professor ask on Prime Time why the hell they didn't do it while Coveney was sitting opposite him waffling on about 'freedom of movement'.

Tell me, what kind of psycho does it take to put some abstract political value above a disease that gives zero fukks about human politics?

I wouldn't agree with your earlier post about "my" "liberal morons", but I would massively agree with your assessment of politics being utterly irrelevant in the face of this. Unfortunately it nevertheless has our country hamstrung with an unelected non-government who are making a complete fustercluck. Undoubtedly we will look back and think "how many lives were they responsible for?"

It's seldom that I hope I'm so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Constitution 28.3.3
    Summation - State of Emergency can only be declared in case of armed conflict endangering security of the state.

otherwise,

Irish troops may use force for example only in defence of their own lives, or the lives of members of An Garda Siochana or
    members of the public. In terms of prevention, such force may only be used to prevent loss of life and cannot be employed in a punitive manner after a criminal act has been committed by a third party. The legal requirements incumbent upon Irish soldiers include a broad range of provisions from evidence of proficiency with a weapon to the detailed exigencies of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Persons Act (1997).

Clonan, T., (2007) 'Civil Control Of The Military And Police In Ireland: The Armed Forces', in TASC Audit
    Ireland, 2007: Power To The People? Assessing Democracy in Ireland, Dublin: TASC.

• Advertisement

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Didn't u say this a couple of times already

Nope, first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah we will but if nothing happens then the rumours will start for the next day.

Some workers from virgin media one news are saying it’s not true. All WhatsApp rumours

It would have leaked to credible sources LONG before now. Bottom line there is no press conference or statement due in the morning nor will they do anything so stupid out of the blue that would cause panic.

Any move would be well flagged publically in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bottom line is Coveny and Harris both said we couldn't go against Eu freedom of movement,
    now, along with many other Eu nations, even Germany is restricting movement so it makes both Harris and Coveny look like pathetic, weak, servile fools who put the Eu before the safety of the nation when most of the other countries did the opposite.

Realistically its a total humiliation for them.

Nonsense....'freedom of movement' has nothing to do with border controls. It refers to the right to live, study or work in another country.

Every EU state has the full authority to seal its own borders for health or security reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Excuse me Sir but this was not hindsight. I was saying it to anyone who'd listen over a month ago. And why on earth would hindsight be needed to know to limit the entrance of a virus before it comes in in large numbers and takes hold?

Its blindingly obvious.

Because most people don’t have a bloody clue about epidemiology and have never seen an epidemic like this before perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

spookwoman wrote: »
    Things starting to get real when this lot starts closing
    https://twitter.com/timjhogan/status/1239357645389250561?s=20

Not necessarily getting real but preventing real... nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dockysher

Yeah we will but if nothing happens then the rumours will start for the next day.

Some workers from virgin media one news are saying it’s not true. All WhatsApp rumours

I can't gauranted it's true but i have 2 mates in gardai dat swear its true and only givin a heads up for everyone. Id be very surprised if it not true

Not to get political but I think this current government deserve so much credit for how they are dealing with this.

Leo should be remembered as one of the greatest leaders this country ever had. Between Brexit and this, he will forever be a massive part of the history of the state.
    Sweet Jesus. Tell me I'm seeing things :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Strazdas wrote: »
    Nonsense....'freedom of movement' has nothing to do with border controls. It refers to the right to live, study or work in another country.

Every EU state has the full authority to seal its own borders for health or security reasons.

However, rightly or wrongly, the WHO does not encourage closing borders

Because most people don’t have a bloody clue about epidemiology and have never seen an epidemic like this before perhaps?

What????!!! I'm a fukking pleb yet I saw it! How the hell could you not see it?!!!

It was spreading like wildfire for weeks before it landed here. What brainpower is required to know it'd spread here if we invited it in with open arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Almost 50000 towns and villages in Ireland. 10000 army if you include the reserves. Do the math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

However, rightly or wrongly, the WHO does not encourage closing borders
    The WHO have a sh!t tonne of blood on their hands.
    IAMAMORON wrote: »
    heh
    The other bottom line is there are tens of thousands of Irish people coming home on those flights. Infected or not, they’re not exactly going to be able to say “Sorry Mary, you went on your holidays to Majorca 3 weeks ago! You’re just going to have to find a tent on the beach and make your life there.”

A huge % of commercial flights also carry small amounts of cargo and so on.

It’s not as simple as just snapping fingers, although I agree not doing it on EU matter of principle makes no sense, especially when those rules are all circumscribed by allowances for national emergencies and exactly this kind of event.
    Is your brain broken? They're literally doing it all over Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

It would have leaked to credible sources LONG before now. Bottom line there is no press conference or statement due in the morning nor will they do anything so stupid out of the blue that would cause panic.

Any move would be well flagged publically in advance.

Ever think that they allow it to happen this way purposely?

Less of a shock to the public so when it does actually happen then people have already had time to consider it and the reaction is much more subdued.

You will only ever hear what they want you to hear.

I spoke about this last week, told my boss too who thought I was being dramatic. Might have changed tune when I go to work tomorrow though after having the weekend to mull over the situation and watching the pubs close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Ronaldo is going to transform the hotels he owns in Portugal into hospitals for the sick. Fair play. I heard this today and thought what a good person.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That army lockdown rumour. It actually amazes me how ****ing stupid some people are.

You will see them around next week but it won't be to have you locked in your house at gunpoint for 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

citysights wrote: »
    Ronaldo is going to transform the hotels he owns in Portugal into hospitals for the sick. Fair play. I heard this today and thought what a good person.

It's a fake story. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

The pair of them should be put on trial for treason. Many Irish people will die because of their inaction.

You can really see the people with no emotional control lashing out. Doesn't help anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

:eek: Wow. If ever there was a con. He has 29k and he ordered 5 pizzas for a hospital. And they didn't even charge him.

Where does the money go? Think I'll need to make one of those gofundme pages. My mortgage could be wiped out.

Where do you think it's going to go? Multiple hospital deliveries over the next weeks/months. Just because they didn't charge for the first order doesn't mean they won't next time. But well done for trying to make a bad thing out of a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So its in Ireland, with a small number of cases yet you're saying we were still correct in continuing to fly people in from all the affected areas?

How the hell does that compute?

Flights are being restricted. No flights to Italy and Spain now being restricted.

Also, you have to allow your own citizens fly home.

I don't get why you're pushing this agenda of Ireland being ruled by Europe.

We're one of the first countries outside of Spain and Italy to close schools and now bars.

We're being much responsible than the UK that now doesn't have Europe to answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Almost 50000 towns and villages in Ireland. 10000 army if you include the reserves. Do the math.
    Could probably deploy only about 3,000 on checkpoint and patrol duty at any one time over any sort of extended time period.

citysights wrote: »

Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

So good in fact that they allowed the virus to come in unimpeded and spread throughout the land like the plague while blathering on about EU freedom of movement.

Bravo lads! Spectacular job.

Agreed

You can really see the people with no emotional control lashing out. Doesn't help anybody.

Perhaps. But when this is all over and the bodies are counted its then you'll see loss of emotional control and lashing out and Leo and the 'freedom of movement' boys will be the one's in the firing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Perhaps. But when this is all over and the bodies are counted then you'll see loss of emotional control and lashing out and Leo and the 'freedom of movement' boys will be the one's in the firing line.

Christ some people have to make it all political

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

rob316 wrote: »
    That army lockdown rumour. It actually amazes me how ****ing stupid some people are.

You will see them around next week but it won't be to have you locked in your house at gunpoint for 30 days

I'm sure it won't be to imprison people but it will be a support for communities for practical stuff and to help maintain safety for people.

Their visibility and presence alone will help keep things in order.

We will have new rules to play by and hopefully everyone can do their part to stick to them.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »

Government window dressing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement