Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

Jin luk wrote: »
    Wont be surprised to see army and gardai enforcing the law, only supermarkets and chemists will be manned id say

I agree with what you're saying, and that it is a possibility down the line.

But as of tomorrow, what law is there to enforce. Or can a Minister give it with immediate effect? Genuinely don't know, maybe they can under an old wartime act or something.
    I just presumed any laws would have to be run through the Oireachtas which takes time.

Tomorrow, a soldier goes into a Lidl and there's 150 people in there. What, by law, can they do? They can strongly request is all I can see. The vast majority of decent people would comply, but if some don't, it'd have a ripple effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if the heat increases in warmer states like Florida, Nevada, Louisiana and Texas have an effect on the way the virus spreads over there. These increases in heat should be affecting Mediterranean countries in the coming weeks.

There is no evidence that heat kills flu viruses. The general consensus is that they spread more easily in winter months because of people staying indoors more often

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

just saw this one world0meters ITALY: Italian media are reporting the change in active cases (a lower number) rather than the change in total cases (a higher number), representing it as "newly infected" when, in fact, it represents the "change in active cases." Newly infected, meaning the number of people who have tested positive to the virus in the last day, is the number shown on the table above, which corresponds to the change in total cases in accordance with the international standards set by the WHO and followed by all countries. The change in active cases (what Italian media label as "newly infected") is the result of the following formula: (newly infected) - (new deaths) - (new recoveries). All data, including total cases ("casi totali") is available on Italy's Dipartimento della Protezione Civile official repository

niallo27 wrote: »
    Buy Cherno Sambo whatever you do or Freddy Adu. I think there is only a certain age group that will get this reference.

samba/kranjcar

paim/farnerud/kerr/vieirinha

mceveley/marinho/said/albrechtsen

kristiansen

jesus i may get up and boot up cm4 after typing those names out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The Belly wrote: »
    Less hours and only certain days would cause more crowds not less. They should be open 24/7 if they can staff them. Take on more staff god knows they must be making a fortune these days. Have a one in one out system plenty of space to maintain social distancing. Hand sanitiser on the door and a few senior staff to manage it. Restrict multiple purchases of certain items such as bog roll etc if stock is running low. One member of the family should try and do the shopping if its possible rather then bringing the whole family.

Thats actually a good point. My local is run by a couple of chinese here in Limerick. Its not a very big shop but I went in tonight for some essentials (beer)
    and they were only letting in 1 at a time and they were giving there number out to ring before hand and they will have your order ready

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I'm station officer with the Fire service. We have had no heads up about any lockdown. I'm calling bull****.

I heard nothing about a lockdown. But the Irish Army asked a mate of mine who recently retired from the army to come in tomo at 6am. He drove heavy tanks and machinery for the army. What his going to be doing, i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

dockysher wrote: »
    Get into the shops early tomorrow if you need anything cause as i said the announcement at 11am will drive everything crazy.
    Dont wana be in packed shops buying essentials tomorrow evening

Why, do you get shut in? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

The Belly wrote: »
    One member of the family should try and do the shopping if its possible rather then bringing the whole family.

There should also be delivery option for those in isolation or at risk groups and people who can't get out on their own due to minding children or caring for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Get into the shops early tomorrow if you need anything cause as i said the announcement at 11am will drive everything crazy.
    Dont wana be in packed shops buying essentials tomorrow evening

Cue rabid mob descend on all shops in the morning clearing them of more bread, milk, chips and chicken nuggets (to go with the other 4 weeks worth they currently have)

Something to be said for when China brought in laws that anyone found spreading rumours would be put in prison...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Get Real wrote: »

Tomorrow, a soldier goes into a Lidl and there's 150 people in there. What, by law, can they do? They can strongly request is all I can see. The vast majority of decent people would comply, but if some don't, it'd have a ripple effect.

Just a note. I'd for some reason be much more scared to confront a soldier than a guard.

Not that I'm going to confront either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

theballz wrote: »
    Not to get political but I think this current government deserve so much credit for how they are dealing with this.

Leo should be remembered as one of the greatest leaders this country ever had. Between Brexit and this, he will forever be a massive part of the history of the state.

Fully agree, from a sinn fein voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

We have a whole generation (and it's not their fault) who are not psychologically equipped to deal with genuine global crisis that affects them as previous generations had to be.

The only positive from this is that it wakes people to the fact that the world is not always a pleasant place. Look at how countries in Europe are turning on each other, arguing and closing their borders. This is the world of self interest and that is a tough place to live in.

I think this is an experience that can strengthen people as well once it's over.

Yeah, I posted a mild post about this on a chat server about 3 or 4 days ago... Just saying that it would be sensible to prepare and do what you could to limit spread.

I was told that I was “triggering” people and that they didn’t “want” to hear things which made them anxious. I responded that “want” wasn’t going to dissuade reality from happening.

Psychiatry is going to be VERY busy a few months from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

We have a whole generation (and it's not their fault) who are not psychologically equipped to deal with genuine global crisis that affects them as previous generations had to be.

The only positive from this is that it wakes people to the fact that the world is not always a pleasant place. Look at how countries in Europe are turning on each other, arguing and closing their borders. This is the world of self interest and that is a tough place to live in.

I think this is an experience that can strengthen people as well once it's over.

They don’t have the skills to cope Kermit this is a bolt from the blue for everyone. Mental health is a huge issue in Ireland and with schools off now they need psychological support, counselors to phone or even just someone to talk to. Volunteers could do a lot in this ares, I’d even help myself, working from home but have spare time. We could all do our bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Andrew00 wrote: »

Exceptionally bad form. Last night shoikd have shamed them into closing.
    The bouncer shoukd be reported for ignorance, harassment, stupidy and assault (see comment on epilepsy) He had no reason to shine that light into the person like that. They could have epilepsy. My nephew has it and that would not be good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Around 55,000 cases in the European Union at the moment, will have more cases than China had at it's peak in 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I heard nothing about a lockdown. But the Irish Army asked a mate of mine who recently retired from the army to come in tomo at 6am. He drove heavy tanks and machinery for the army. What his going to be doing, i don't know.

Training I should think. If he's retired the law would need to be changed to allow him re-enlist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Xertz wrote: »
    Of course there’ll be bad leadership and reactionary politics in places that have populist morons in charge, but that’s just life. Conspiracy theorists will seek conspiracies and xénophobes will blame someone “over there”.

Yeah like your liberal morons have done a smashing job.

Harris: "Stopping flights from Italy just won't work."

Coveney: "The EU is about freedom of movement"

That's what these cretins have been saying while this virus has taken root, taken lives and will take many more because of their open borders fanaticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If the army patrol the streets, can they shoot scumbags on scramblers? can we legislate that in there, too?

Bigger danger is the scumbags will be shooting the soldiers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭klose

May this might show some people after this is all over you don't have to go in to A&E. Trolly watch will fall sharply. I heard some day last week Limerick Regional was @ 7 its a miracle

With any luck! There are regular pleas before all this started for people to stay away from A&E in south tipp unless its genuinely serious but needless to say falls on deaf ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Be no beer left after tomorrow

Aisle was getting bare at my local Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Yeah like your liberal morons have done a smashing job.

Harris: "Stopping flights from Italy just won't work."

Coveney: "The EU is about freedom of movement"

That's what these cretins have been saying while this virus has taken root, taken lives and will take many more because of their open borders fanaticism.

Had they shut everything at the start not much would be taking heed right now, correct answers and decisions from them

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Just a note. I'd for some reason be much more scared to confront a soldier than a guard.

As would I, and fair point. But if there's no legislation, and a set in his ways aul lad, or group of hardmen, or a scumbag, tell him to fck off and continue on.

He can't touch them, he's not going to point a gun at them, and the rest of the crowd will look as he stands there, having no legislation to back himself up.

Might be different in a few weeks if they do pass legislation. I'm just questioning the rumours of a full lockdown tomorrow/Tuesday. But there could well be some law I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

danmci wrote: »
    There is no evidence that heat kills flu viruses. The general consensus is that they spread more easily in winter months because of people staying indoors more often

It would be far more likely that winter correlates with lower levels of vitamin D and so generally less effective immune systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Monkeynut wrote: »

Public tolerance for any crap will also be at an all time low.

You might even see citizens arrests and vigilantes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Xertz wrote: »
    I don’t think any of those generations were any more equipped than we are. This isn’t a war. There’s no disruption to infrastructure. Nobody’s raining artillery from the sky at us and the food supplies and all of those things should continue to work fairly well.

There no enemy. No nasty politics. Nobody invading. We’re all, globally, on the same team against a pathogen.

Of course there’ll be bad leadership and reactionary politics in places that have populist morons in charge, but that’s just life. Conspiracy theorists will seek conspiracies and xénophobes will blame someone “over there”. The rest of us will sort out the virus.

We’ll get through this. It’s a virus. It’s nasty, but we will get there, just like they did and we’ve way better technology at our finger tips both to keep in touch and organise and also to fight the damn thing with very advanced science, including cutting edge biotechnology solutions being worked on as we speak in labs all over the world.

I agree with much of that but this could change Europe in particular profoundly depending on how it unfolds in the months ahead politically and economically.

Need to be wise to the fact that the world may be much more divided and countries more insular after this.

Could be the opposite, could bring us all closer together.

There are new risks now that did not exist just a couple of months a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Italy's population is 12 times ours and land borders into central Europe so it is harder to control their movements. A small island like ours can be controlled in a much easier fashion.

Positivity, I love it. Shout it out, sing it out, we need more of the facts. I hate what happened Italy but we should be more optimistic here. Constant news cycles, social media and even sites like this can escalate your brain into thinking Armageddon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Jin luk wrote: »
    Had they shut everything at the start not much would be taking heed right now, correct answers and decisions from them

How do you make that out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Yesterday a meeting of all the pubs in Temple Bar decided they would close immediately. The pricks that own the Molly Malone broke ranks. Nobody should enter their pub again.

There really should be a serious effort made to cripple them financially once this is all over.

Hungry cúnts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

If people go panic buying tomorrow, when you are browsing the items, remember the new adage;
    Please do not touch,
    Please do not hold.
    Society is fúcked
    Stop being bold

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement