Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

What amazes me about this whole thing is it's known a strong immune system is the best defence to any infection or virus

Yet no one is focusing on strengthening their immune system with vitamin C or iodine or ginger, garlic etc. Foods, vitamins minerals etc.

Everyone focused on meaningless trivial crap like 'wipes' that do nothing or hand sprays that do nothing either for the immune system. Just money making rackets at the minute and the fear driven media hamming this thing up to hysteria levels.

How come you don't see bulk buying of vitamin C that actually fights viruses?.

People can be so illogical!

I think the whole bulk buying of hand sanitizers is insane as they don't actually do anything.
    Like a placebo if you will.

And anyway the paranoia will kill you before the virus!.

Actually who are you to give advice against the WHO? What are your qualifications in virology?

Sure, take Vit C if you want but saying hand sanitizers don't do anything when the WHO are advising that they're important (in conjunction with handwashing) is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Those Pharmacies and shops should be named and shamed and also boycotted going forward. I certainly won't be using Hickeys pharmacy anymore and there is one next door to me here in work but I will walk to a different pharmacy in the future for my requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 31,854 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DFA now have whole of Italy as do not travel

What price are they in Aldi and Lidl? Have they increased their prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How come you don't see bulk buying of vitamin C that actually fights viruses?.

Because it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

SozBbz wrote: »

Sure, take Vit C if you want but saying hand sanitizers don't do anything when the WHO are advising that they're important (in conjunction with handwashing) is important.

Don't forget marinating oneself in herbs, spices and "essential oils". At least you'll leave a tasty, nice smelling corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,854 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Antares35 wrote: »
    Lloyds pharmacy were apparently selling previously priced at 1.20 bottles for 8 quid. Gougers.
    Nope not true.
    I messaged them directly
    It was a totally different brand and more like something used in hospitals (though it could be got online for 3 pounds so 8 euro was still a serious markup)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

gmisk wrote: »
    Nope not true.
    I messaged them directly
    It was a totally different brand and more like something used in hospitals (though it could be got online for 3 pounds so 8 euro was still a serious markup)

Oh, that's good then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Going to be a huge hit in the economy as a whole and tourism.

Job loses and cut backs on the way.

Wonder will housing take a hit now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My son is due to travel to Munich at the start of the Easter break and I'm at a loss if I should let him travel. He's travelling alone using the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor service, will be picked up by family and drive to Austria. Now Austria sees a huge surge in cases every day.
    It could also very well be that Lufthansa will cancel these flights as they cut quite a number of short and medium distance flights on Europe.
    A headache I don't need at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ryanair has cancelled flights in and out of Italy. I think we really need to think about how humanity currently functions if the be all and end all of everything is the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

bertsmom wrote: »
    I do see your point of view but this situation didn't happen overnight I've been buying extra supplies from when it first was reported in China and I believe that's no harm and a responsible thing to have done. I'm not sitting here with 50 bottles of sanitizer refusing to share, I've given plenty to my mams friends and my own friends but at the end of the day I don't think anyone from the internet is going to turn up on my or my loved ones doorstep with supplies when we need it.
    It's up to ourselves to look after our own family, friends and selves.
    Now I'm bowing out of the conversation as my shift is about to begin. All the best to everyone I do understand the opposing point of view has a lot of merit in an ideal world but maby I just see enough of the harsh reality every day to think we have to look after ourselves first. I may very well be wrong I do know that.
    Stay healthy everyone

I see enough of the harsh reality every day to know that the world isn't all about me, and my wants, and my convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

see enough of the harsh reality every day to know that the world isn't all about me, and my wants, and my convenience.
    Ah shur look Bellabella I'm not getting any further into a back and forth with you. I wish you the best and hope your mum gets plenty hand sanitizer to see her through these times.
    A randomer on the internet thinking my actions of looking after myself and my own family and loved ones before others isn't going to keep me up at night.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Cordell

I have to repeat this: it's doing very little for you if you're the only one having it, it helps you a lot if everyone around you has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

She's not really responsible for everyone around her though is she!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Tunes for the present times.

The Police - don't stand so close to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Cordell

Sure, but hoarding it will prevent others from getting it and in the end doing more harm than good for yourself.

I'm not judging anyone, I will put my family first as well, but this is not exactly the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There's a sanitizer stall at the milk market in Limerick.
    I don't think they're selling many. People who go to jam-packed markets are probably not the most concerned.

Also, assuming he didn't make the stuff himself, the guy selling them is exactly who you're complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

She's not really responsible for everyone around her though is she!
    she isn't but the more diseases vectors there are the worse it is for everybody inclusing those who think they have protected themselves by using handsantitiser. It isnt a magic bullet, it doesn't offer 100% protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Strikes me as people blaming others for their failings and nothing else - if i felt it was vital that i had hand sanitiser to keep myself or a loved one alive, i wouldn't be sitting back and relying on society as a whole to not panic and leave some on the shelves for when i could be arsed to pop to the shops. I'd have a months worth in a press somewhere just in case.

As it is i have a half bottle i robbed from worked about 2 years ago - but i'm not too bothered, i don't need it. If i did need it, i'd have made damn sure i had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Ryanair has cancelled flights in and out of Italy. I think we really need to think about how humanity currently functions if the be all and end all of everything is the economy.

Not as if economy and commerce is one of the cornerstones of society since forevermore in some shape or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Candlemass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Strikes me as people blaming others for their failings and nothing else - if i felt it was vital that i had hand sanitiser to keep myself or a loved one alive, i wouldn't be sitting back and relying on society as a whole to not panic and leave some on the shelves for when i could be arsed to pop to the shops. I'd have a months worth in a press somewhere just in case.

Agree totally with this.

If what you have is for you and yours that's fair game.

If you are selling it at a ridiculous price making huge profit, may no good come from what you earn, and hopefully you'll catch a pox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

If the 'she' being referred to is me just to clarify I'm not hoarding hand sanitizer. I bought a few bottles everytime I seen one since I first heard of this virus back in December and I've given the vast majority of them away as I got them. I just counted and I've 3 bottles in my own house all the rest I've brought home to my home house and my mam has given many of these to my siblings and her friends.
    My only point really is that it's just common sense to have been picking up a few as you go along if you or any of your loved ones are immunocompromised and not waiting until it became so in demand as they are now.
    I have enough, my loved ones have enough and for that I'm not in the least sorry

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ice T
    On with the body count

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement