Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"they haven't made it illegal to be a ****"

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

it's not illegal to be a ****"
    Is that directed at me?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Our local shop and pharmacist kept hand sanitizers for elderly and those unwell in the area. Its a rural area and i suppose thry know who really needs these items. These are the times when community is important.

I totally agree with pharmacies setting aside supplies for the vulnerable and elderly that's a very good policy.
    My only point is that I feel it's the more responsible thing for me to do as a late thirties lady with a full time job I'm not going to be a priority for any of the powers that be or government when it comes to policy around the current situation to stock up on anything I feel I may need to make the quarantine more comfortable for myself.
    My mother has COPD and doesn't drive so I've also been buying plenty extra supplies including sanitizer for her incase I'm not able to get to her in the coming weeks.
    My personal opinion is if you can purchase extra to look after yourself and your loved ones it's no harm at all to do so. I will hopefully not be in need of any assistance from authorities so that leaves more for them to help the more vulnerable as I've been responsible for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yes, people can shop whatever way they wish, and others can criticise them for their selfishness if they are under 60, healthy and don't have other folk in their home who are over 70 and/or with a lung condition/diabetes/HIV or have cancer/are undergoing chemo or recently underwent it, or are otherwise immuno-compromised.

Also, to help contain the spread, everyone should have access to hand sanitiser when not in the vicinity of warm water and soap. Not much use to anyone for some to have loads and others to have none for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Well bertsmom if your mam has COPD that's different, and fair enough.

Although I don't feel that I should stockpile for myself, being low risk. I mean I have of course bought a bit extra, but a big pile of stuff isn't necessary. There are hand gel dispensers and wipes all over work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Cordell

Your pile of hands sanitisers will be of little help when you will find yourself surrounded by people that got sick because they couldn't get one. Or, if you choose to lock yourselves in the house, you won't need them anyway. They only work if EVERYONE is using them.

I do see your point of view but this situation didn't happen overnight I've been buying extra supplies from when it first was reported in China and I believe that's no harm and a responsible thing to have done. I'm not sitting here with 50 bottles of sanitizer refusing to share, I've given plenty to my mams friends and my own friends but at the end of the day I don't think anyone from the internet is going to turn up on my or my loved ones doorstep with supplies when we need it.
    It's up to ourselves to look after our own family, friends and selves.
    Now I'm bowing out of the conversation as my shift is about to begin. All the best to everyone I do understand the opposing point of view has a lot of merit in an ideal world but maby I just see enough of the harsh reality every day to think we have to look after ourselves first. I may very well be wrong I do know that.
    Stay healthy everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yes, people can shop whatever way they wish, and others can criticise them for their selfishness if they are under 60, healthy and don't have other folk in their home who are over 70 and/or with a lung condition/diabetes/HIV or have cancer/are undergoing chemo or recently underwent it, or are otherwise immuno-compromised.

Also, to help contain the spread, everyone should have access to hand sanitiser when not in the vicinity of warm water and soap. Not much use to anyone for some to have loads and others to have none for a while.

Isn't it over 60? You also need to factor in people who are in contact with these at risk individuals, not just those who are "at home with them". You can also be under 60 and healthy but be pregnant, in which case associated fever and pneumonia can be devastating to developing baby and mother.

I've stockpiled some (think a small travel bottle that I had anyway and two large bottles to refill it when I am out and about). I don't feel bad about it - I used it all the time before the Corona outbreak anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I stockpile stuff, anything unperishable that's on special offer, that I actually use, I will make use of the offer.

I keep an eye on deals in all the supermarkets and I often go out of my way to get to the shop.

I absolutely hate paying full price for anything.

I don't really use hand sanitisers, but if I did and it was an important product for me for health reasons, I would be ensuring I had a good supply in the press at all times. Boots often have them on offer.

As for people buying handfuls of them, it's not necessarily all for themselves, it could be one for every member of their family. I certainly pick up stuff for my parents and siblings especially if I'm there buying it for myself anyway.

• Advertisement

I stockpile stuff, anything unperishable that's on special offer, that I actually use, I will make use of the offer.

I keep an eye on deals in all the supermarkets and I often go out of my way to get to the shop.

I absolutely hate paying full price for anything.

I don't really use hand sanitisers, but if I did and it was an important product for me for health reasons, I would be ensuring I had a good supply in the press at all times. Boots often have them on offer.

As for people buying handfuls of them, it's not necessarily all for themselves, it could be one for every member of their family. I certainly pick up stuff for my parents and siblings especially if I'm there buying it for myself anyway.

Same here. I tend to stockpile pet food when it is reduced (the stuff I don't import). I feed 10 rescues, so I don't feel bad about buying say ten bags/boxes of food when they are marked down 50%. I remember at one stage an animal charity was giving out on social media about pet owners bulk buying stuff on offer and not leaving any for them. I'd mixed views about it - I admire their work and feel bad for their struggles, but also since all of mine are rescues, I am essentially running a rescue/ sanctuary myself... without the fundraising proceeds and grants they get! :D

Anyway sorry off topic. OP I'm happy to gift you/ your mother one of the large bottles I have, if you want to pm me feel free. My parents are in their 70's and I would hate if they were ill and I had run out of sanitiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Well fights be cancelled to the states, uk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

cena wrote: »

No

But cut backs may well happen as less travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

cena wrote: »

No. They won't be

Some flights are only restricted from certain majorly infected areas, like China, Korea etc to other places.

Cant see flights being cancelled in and out of ireland tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I looked it up and even if you had travel booked to northern italy you'd have a hard time getting a claim on travel insurance unless they raise the security level to avoid travel.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

*Laya follow the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,854 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I looked it up and even if you had travel booked to northern italy you'd have a hard time getting a claim on travel insurance unless they raise the security level to avoid travel.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

*Laya follow the above.
    I have Allianz no refunds on flights.
    I was due to fly to Verona next month, chances are they will be cancelled, flights this month are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've got full family tickets paid for spain and germany this year. Just going to wait and see but feel like we'll have to eat the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

No. You’re still on for Monday night Raw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Recession on the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

We do the same - if there's something you use a lot of and it's going cheap, or even if it's not going cheap and it's just non perishable, why the hell wouldn't you load up on it? Save a few bob or at the very least just cut down on your required trips to the shops. It's a no-brainer. I have 4 young kids, i can do without doing shopping every second day for the craic!

It's unfortunate that something like this has come along and caught vulnerable people out for certain things - but come on now, if something is that important to you, you really should be making sure you have a back up supply in case of emergencies.

It's not up to society at large to look out for your family for you. Any stuff we depend on there's always a few weeks worth stashed away somewhere just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 HowardBeale

What amazes me about this whole thing is it's known a strong immune system is the best defence to any infection or virus

Yet no one is focusing on strengthening their immune system with vitamin C or iodine or ginger, garlic etc. Foods, vitamins minerals etc.

Everyone focused on meaningless trivial crap like 'wipes' that do nothing or hand sprays that do nothing either for the immune system. Just money making rackets at the minute and the fear driven media hamming this thing up to hysteria levels.

How come you don't see bulk buying of vitamin C that actually fights viruses?.

People can be so illogical!

I think the whole bulk buying of hand sanitizers is insane as they don't actually do anything.
    Like a placebo if you will.

And anyway the paranoia will kill you before the virus!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Amen to that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stark wrote: »
    "they haven't made it illegal to be a ****"
    Or an ignoramus either. Observe the post one post above me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What amazes me about this whole thing is it's known a strong immune system is the best defence to any infection or virus

Yet no one is focusing on strengthening their immune system with vitamin C or iodine or ginger, garlic etc. Foods, vitamins minerals etc.

Everyone focused on meaningless trivial crap like 'wipes' that do nothing or hand sprays that do nothing either for the immune system. Just money making rackets at the minute and the fear driven media hamming this thing up to hysteria levels.

How come you don't see bulk buying of vitamin C that actually fights viruses?.

People can be so illogical!

I think the whole bulk buying of hand sanitizers is insane as they don't actually do anything.
    Like a placebo if you will.

Tbf the wipes and hand gels will actually kill.the virus

It lasts for 12 hours out in open,so say if yous use ATM machine,youd want to be wiping your hand afterwards (practically its recommended to wipe when get back.to.car etc)...this is what they saying to people working in hospideals anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

One of the londis shops is selling hand sanitiser for the reasonable price of €9.95

• Registered Users Posts: 19,971 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We do the same - if there's something you use a lot of and it's going cheap, or even if it's not going cheap and it's just non perishable, why the hell wouldn't you load up on it? Save a few bob or at the very least just cut down on your required trips to the shops. It's a no-brainer. I have 4 young kids, i can do without doing shopping every second day for the craic!

It's unfortunate that something like this has come along and caught vulnerable people out for certain things - but come on now, if something is that important to you, you really should be making sure you have a back up supply in case of emergencies.

It's not up to society at large to look out for your family for you. Any stuff we depend on there's always a few weeks worth stashed away somewhere just in case.

As long as you’re organised about it, that’s exactly the way to do it. No point buying things cheap and not using them. But bulk buying things you’ll Definitely use is a great idea.

I get all the bathroom and kitchen products in Cheap shops. As long as you’re not precious about what brands you use, you can get all the soaps, shower gels, cleaners, toothpaste etc. for cheap. All nicely arranged in a storage space so i always know what we have and what we need.

Hand sanitizer is not something I’d ever bother with except when I have a cold sore or when I’m actually sick. Dead handy when you want to avoid spreading germs you actually have. But I’ve no interest in using it all the time just in case I ever come into contact with germs. I’ll just wash my hands instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

One of the londis shops is selling hand sanitiser for the reasonable price of €9.95

Should be named and shamed for this.

I heard the UK govt are going to bring in legistlation to protect against price gouging. I hope we do the same, and quickly.

Exploiting people (especially those who are elderly or have other health issues who have the right to be genuinely afraid) is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

We were given a bottle each on each different area here at work and low and behold they were taken the next day. A girl who is in a wheelchair was given who own and she may not be able to reach the areas bottle was also taken

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

SozBbz wrote: »
    Should be named and shamed for this.

I heard the UK govt are going to bring in legistlation to protect against price gouging. I hope we do the same, and quickly.

Exploiting people (especially those who are elderly or have other health issues who have the right to be genuinely afraid) is not right.

It was a londis in tallaght. there is also a video going around of a Hickeys pharmacy that is selling packs of face masks for €150. You read that right, €150.

• Advertisement

It was a londis in tallaght. there is also a video going around of a Hickeys pharmacy that is selling packs of face masks for €150. You read that right, €150.

Lloyds pharmacy were apparently selling previously priced at 1.20 bottles for 8 quid. Gougers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement