Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Where can I hey this rubbing alcohol guys? I'd like to get some tomorrow along with aloe Vera to make my own.

Pharmacies.. called with rubbing alcohol or surgical spirits.. comes usually in small bottles though. I'd imagine it's easy to get online. My local phamarcy orders in bigger bottles for me. I've used it for years for cleaning.
    Google thieves oil diy recipe also... an old recipe used during the black plaque... v easy to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

izzyflusky wrote: »
    HSE is way behind as usual. New guidelines (outside of Ireland) recommend alcohol sanitisers as people tend to be more compliant with it, it's quicker and there are less steps involved that may contribute to contamination (touching sink, drying hands properly, etc). The exception is after going to the toilet, alcohol is not enough then.

Also, the gel people need to buy must be at least 70% alcohol and a lot of them found in the shops are not concentrated enough.

W.H.O. disagrees with you though. 20 or 30 second hand wash with warm water & soap is always far better than hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer is only for when you don't have access to soap & water
    Clean hands protect against infection

Protect yourself

• Clean your hands regularly.
    • Wash your hands with soap and water, and dry them thoroughly.
    • Use alcohol-based handrub if you don’t have immediate access to soap and water.

https://www.who.int/gpsc/clean_hands_protection/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I've heard aloe Vera also out of stock from making their own.

I remember years ago pharmacists were able to make up their own concoctions of creams etc. I think health and safety put a stop to that. It would be a lil earner for them if they could make and sell batches.... ill wind n all that.

Op could you appeal to your local hospital or hospice where your mum is attending?

Nonsense, we can still compound. I've had to do it for a local GP. I haven't been able to get any hand sanitizer for them so I've had to go right back to basics and compounded a carboxymethylcellulose and isopropanol hand gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    W.H.O. disagrees with you though. 20 or 30 second hand wash with warm water & soap is always far better than hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer is only for when you don't have access to soap & water

https://www.who.int/gpsc/clean_hands_protection/en/

I'm currently on leave and don't have access to the research but I teach infection control as part of my job and the latest is a tendency to lean more towards alcohol hand rubs, mostly because of better adherence to its use and people tend to use a better technique compared to soap and water. It is also what we as trainers are being advised to teach.

Mind you, hands still need to be visibly clean and as I mentioned before, soap and water is a MUST after going to the toilet.

izzyflusky wrote:
    I'm currently on leave and don't have access to the research but I teach infection control as part of my job and the latest is a tendency to lean more towards alcohol hand rubs, mostly because of better adherence to its use and people tend to use a better technique compared to soap and water. It is also what we as trainers are being advised to teach.

But just to be clear despite what you have been told to teach, the very latest advice inside & outside of ireland is that 30 seconds washing hands with soap and warm water (doesn't even have to be anti bacteria soap) is better than hand sanitizer. The official advice from WHO is soap and water every 2 hours & if you can't get to soap and water then hand sanitizer will do until you get to soap and water. This has been WHOs officiall advice for several years now. Long before this virus.

People believing that hand sanitizer is better than water is the very reason that there is a shortage. People are using hand sanitizer instead of water and soap and that's not a good thing. Hand sanitizer is not as effective as 30 seconds in warm water and regular soap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've heard aloe Vera also out of stock from making their own.

I remember years ago pharmacists were able to make up their own concoctions of creams etc. I think health and safety put a stop to that. It would be a lil earner for them if they could make and sell batches.... ill wind n all that.

Op could you appeal to your local hospital or hospice where your mum is attending?

Our local pharmacy still make up cough remedies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Nonsense, we can still compound. I've had to do it for a local GP. I haven't been able to get any hand sanitizer for them so I've had to go right back to basics and compounded a carboxymethylcellulose and isopropanol hand gel.

Fair enough, my dad used to get an urea /cold tar cream made up, reeked to high heavens, but worked. The chemist he got it from said they could no longer make it.

Apologies wrong in my assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It's not that scarce. I bought 3 boxes from a c&c yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Baseball72

Re-enfocing the basics of good handwashing for 25/30 seconds is a timely reminder to us all. When I pop into the services on the motorways, I am always amazed at the number of guys who just walk straight out (after looking in the mirror) without washing their hands.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GoGirl184

the Meath St Pharmacy, Sean Foley make up their own Mushatts creams and potions. They work fantastically particularly the shampoo for those with eczema. the staff are great too

• Advertisement

GoGirl184 wrote:
    the Meath St Pharmacy, Sean Foley make up their own Mushatts creams and potions. They work fantastically particularly the shampoo for those with eczema. the staff are great too

My wife has got cream for eczema there for over 40 years now. Nothing else seems to work except her "special" cream

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes, I feel sorry for you mam and people in similar positions.
    Even with the bulk buying some people simply can't afford to or they may have mobility issues that make it hard for them to get out to the shops often and when they do things might be all gone.
    However from what I've seen online it's fine to bulk buy because some people have anxiety and they need to buy trolleys of toilet roll and hand sanitisers to put their minds at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I really do think it's not solely down to people bulk buying I think its just that people may not have previously been buying hand sanitizer. I know I only ever got it when going on holidays but now I pick one up when I see it to have due to the current situation.
    Also I don't know why people have such an issue with people who bulk buy I always do. I'm on a strict budget these days for a certain goal so I do a big shop of toilet paper and all household essentials once every 3 months or so and then I just buy my weekly essentials of bread, milk and cheese, eggs and fruit etc at less than 20e.
    Surely it's up to each individual how they shop or don't shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

bertsmom wrote: »
    I really do think it's not solely down to people bulk buying I think its just that people may not have previously been buying hand sanitizer. I know I only ever got it when going on holidays but now I pick one up when I see it to have due to the current situation.
    Also I don't know why people have such an issue with people who bulk buy I always do. I'm on a strict budget these days for a certain goal so I do a big shop of toilet paper and all household essentials once every 3 months or so and then I just buy my weekly essentials of bread, milk and cheese, eggs and fruit etc at less than 20e.
    I agree it could be because of a higher demand, not just bulk buying, that's emptying shelves. But the reason for criticism of bulk buying in this case (hand sanitiser) is it's a potential health crisis and it's not fair on those who need it the most if there is none left for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A lot of workplaces are buying them in bulk.

My workplace always has it in stock, but last weekend somebody took all the spare bags of sanitizer gel (and emptied dispensers too), as well as 10 or 15 boxes of face masks (10 packs). :mad: so despite normally being well-stocked and 'ahead of the game', we've had to join the masses for the significantly increased usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The chemist told me that people were grabbing handfuls.

Bulk buying is fine when supplies are plentiful. During shortages it's selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What pan-demic really means

5011059001158-T1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

BellaBella wrote: »
    In general proper hand washing is as good as using a hand sanitiser. However for people such as my mother who is in her eighties and suffering from cancer hand sanitisers can be vital. She needs to have one in her hall so that visitors make sure they don't carry in any infection.

We cannot get hold of any, but ut my local chemist told me that when they got a stock in recently people were grabbing handfuls and they were sold out in minutes.

Can I just appeal to people to be aware that if, as a healthy low risk family, they are depleting shops of hand sanitisers, many of which will remain in cupboards unused, they are depriving ill and vulnerable people and their families of a simple way of keeping a loved one safe.

Please, if stocks are replenished, don't hog them and stock pile.. Leave enough to keep ill and vulnerable n people safe.

ya unfortunately you're wasting your time appealing to the public, a member of the public will be along shortly to sell you a bottle x10 times the price

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What's that? I might make some up if it's readily available, i have loads of isopropanol - we go through gallons of the stuff in work every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

James o brien is talking about this on LBC radio right now. He's asking why people are bulk buying big roll. There's no symptom of Covid that involves diarrhea. I think it's just a lack of imagination.

I chatted the bloke on the check out in tesco and he said they have plans to stock only necessary things like bread, milk, eggs etc. if it comes to it.

What would actually be useful to bulk buy? Presumably tinned goods and other non perishables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Isopropyl/surgical spirits/rubbing alcohol is the same thing. Hand sanitizer can be readily made at home using off the shelf ingredients. Methylated spirits can be used as an alternative but MUST be watered down to 60-70% with water when being used on the skin. Bottles can be both in Mr price for €1.50 and in near hardware stores. Most aloe vera gel off the shelf has ingredients added like alcohol and glycerin etc If you are able to, use pure aloe vera gel and then add the likes of glycerin and essential oils of your choice like tea tree (Deals €1.50) and lavender oil, this is optional.

My recipe is
    2/3 Isopropyl/surgical spirits/rubbing alcohol or Methylated spirits (watered)
    1/3 Aloe Vera (Pure)

Optional ingredients added:
    1/2 tsp. Tea Tree oil (antibacterial, Nourish the skin)
    1/2 tsp. Vegetable Glycerine (A natural humectant that helps to soften the skin.)
    1/2 tsp. Vitamin E Oil (Nourish the skin, helps preserve hand sanitizer, makes it last)

If you are using aloe vera gel off the shelf used to treat sunburn etc I would not add the optional ingredients.

When Iv used Methylated spirits it looks mental when using in work/public.

What would actually be useful to bulk buy? Presumably tinned goods and other non perishables.

Yep. Tinned food, rice, pasta...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Bought 2 boxes of them back in January (12 100ml bottles in a box) when i seen what was transpiring in China. Have distributed them among family members (some of who laughed at me weeks ago :rolleyes:) and brought a box of them to the local nursing home as i did feel a bit guilty last week i must admit. I got them up in Newry for little or no money as i go up there every couple of months to stock up on household essentials and groceries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

James o brien is talking about this on LBC radio right now. He's asking why people are bulk buying big roll. There's no symptom of Covid that involves diarrhea. I think it's just a lack of imagination.
    And social contagion El D, a meme spreading like wildfire. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the bog roll rush kicked off on social media(may have been one post) where it was claimed bog roll was only made in China and stocks would go short, so the mob went nuts. While individuals may be clever, average or as dumb as rocks, it is a certainty the mob is always as dumb as rocks. Like you say this virus doesn't cause the liquid sit downs(a tiny percentage of cases, which means it's as likely they already had the squits from something else.

This virus and its symptoms where present appear to be quite different from the usual colds and flu. over 80% present with fever and cough, over 30% with shortness of breath. The more usual winter bug symptoms of sore throat or the snots only occurs in under 5% of patients. SARS and MERS were very similar.
    I chatted the bloke on the check out in tesco and he said they have plans to stock only necessary things like bread, milk, eggs etc. if it comes to it.

Or don't buy into the daftness, it's not armageddon or anything like it. Even if it was, having a few extra tins of beans would just mean you'd starve to death more slowly. It's mostly about individuals having the placebo of control in the face of confusion, with a side order of panic. And we're back to the mob again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's mostly about individuals having the placebo of control in the face of confusion, with a side order of panic. And we're back to the mob again.

You’d swear the “supply lines” were cut and the bridges blown the way some people are carrying on.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I don't agree, I have not bulk bought hand sanitizer but I do have a few as it was fairly obvious since December what seemed to be coming down the tracks so as I said I bought one when I came accros it at the time.
    I think how people shop is entirely up to themselves it's not like this happened to come to Ireland out of the blue it was obviously going to get here so if some people choose to be prepared by having a bit of extra stock in fair play to them.
    I certainly don't want to be dealing with having the virus and feeling like crap and also having to try and get my household essentials in as I didn't make any provision for the obvious. If I hadn't bought extra I'm not sure how I would fare in self isolation, very uncomfortably I imagine as I live alone so at least now should I get ill I have enough provisions to see me through and not need to trouble anyone for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I don't agree, I have not bulk bought hand sanitizer but I do have a few as it was fairly obvious since December what seemed to be coming down the tracks so as I said I bought one when I came accros it at the time.
    I think how people shop is entirely up to themselves it's not like this happened to come to Ireland out of the blue it was obviously going to get here so if some people choose to be prepared by having a bit of extra stock in fair play to them.
    I certainly don't want to be dealing with having the virus and feeling like crap and also having to try and get my household essentials in as I didn't make any provision for the obvious. If I hadn't bought extra I'm not sure how I would fare in self isolation, very uncomfortably I imagine as I live alone so at least now should I get ill I have enough provisions to see me through and not need to trouble anyone for anything.

I disagree. How you shop at times of shortage and crisis affects other people. There would probably be enough hand sanitisers to go around if people just bought one or two, and used soap and water where possible. But people who are in good health bulk buying are, in many cases, leaving extra sanitisers sitting in the press at home unneeded, while at the same time placing them out of reach of ill and elderly people who really need them.

In any case, I suspect in future shoppers will only be allowed buy a couple at a time which should help circulate stock more fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I hear if you ask, they sell them under the counter on Moore St. Carton of Russian fags and a box of hand sanitiser, please, Agnes.

• Advertisement

I can see it's frustrating for people that would like to purchase an item that's often out of stock but I do still think it's up to each individual how they shop. If one person chooses to be well prepared and stock up I don't see the problem.
    Obviously if quotas are introduced they should be adhered to by everyone but for the moment I know that should I become ill or quarantined I want to have enough stock to be comfortable and not inconvenienced.
    I don't think it's anybody else's business what I purchase as long as I pay for it and not break any quotas if they are introduced

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement