Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭IQO

Netherlands: 382 (yesterday) to 503 cases today

https://www.rivm.nl/nieuws/actuele-informatie-over-coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

ITman88 wrote: »
    Exactly things will look brighter come Summer

Why? This virus has no problem spreading in warmer weahter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Bob24 wrote: »
    Is she telling people she has made a choice to let people getting sick and provide care for those who need it rather that aggressively attempting to contain the virus?

70% is as scenario whereby there is very little attempts for containment.

I think that's exactly what the EUs response has been. Economy first, people second, they'll pile us on a fire to keep the money rolling, and that's essentially what will happen.

It was such an illogical myopic response though, surely it was obvious that a scenario of prolonged widespread disease would have much worse economic reprecussions than shutting up shop for two or three months.

Similarly Ireland as an Island had a golden chance to avoid death and economic chaos, but even now we sit patiently waiting for a peak of inevitable disaster to be reached rather than attempt to put measures in place to prevent it.

It's all so bizarre, too bizarre to be attributed to stupidity, it's nearly ripe for some sort of conspiracy theory.

scamalert wrote: »
    WTF is with all this lockdown talks- theoretically we can lock down for 1-3 weeks, then yes maybe no more cases, but open up then few people come in infected **** starts all over again, its not something that can be tracked or seen, seems more like either you get it or not and ride it out scenario.

Things can be planned, lock down is either now or later. Timing can make a huge difference in scaling up resources

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    do you have a link to that about the communication issue?

It was told us by all TV news last night, and in programmes following.
    I'm Italian, live in Italy, the news is first hand.

EDIT
    https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/

This link says that "Data from Lombardy is incomplete" under every stat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Dow Jones drops 600 points opening , 2.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ireland 18 no testing = today Ireland 18

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

WTF is with all this lockdown talks- theoretically we can lock down for 1-3 weeks, then yes maybe no more cases, but open up then few people come in infected **** starts all over again, its not something that can be tracked or seen, seems more like either you get it or not and ride it out scenario.

Its about reducing the numbers of people, who are critical, at any one time, and spreading that number out over the duration.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

We live in an economic system where people are told that taking time off work is the worst thing you can do. Don’t badmouth people, bad mouth your stupid company and stakeholders for facilitating that kind of culture. If he rang in sick, people would be calling him a bluffer, look at the work and jobs threads on Boards.ie to see what people think about people taking time off.

Maybe in other jobs but that is not the culture in my office. We have a fantastic manager who understands that people get sick and need time off work. No one ever gets slagged off about it, that doesn't happen here (it may do elsewhere) but we still get the martyrs who think the job revolves around them and come into work sick. I know that is not the norm but I can only speak about my own personal experience and work place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'd say the football European Championships will be cancelled aswell.

Hopefully the English Premiership be postponed for two months. Give time for Kane, Son, Sissoko and possibly Bergwijn to recover and get fit.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Too early to call mortality rates at this point or to draw any conclusions from it.

Why early?

We have more than 70K closed cases with a death rate of 6% and a consistent trend to prove quality of data so far (no abnormal spikes)
    As we go along rate will change but what we have now is good actual data

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The idea of lockdown is ironic.
    The length of the lockdown required to have an effect on this virus and protect the health of the vulnerable will endanger that very health by limited access and supply of the health care products required to sustain and prolong life in the 1st place.

I’m getting berated for mentioning the economy but it’s this very economy that has sustained vulnerable lives and increased life expectancy among the overall population in the 1st place, by advances in healthcare and pharmaceutical research.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

YFlyer wrote: »
    Any school shutdown, the teachers should get fined if they take a vacation.

Vacation is it?

As long as they keep away from the shopping mall ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I imagine anyone quarantined can get illness benefit ? It’s not much but it’s more than it was last week
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If they are instructed by the HSE to stay at home then they are entitled to €305 a week

That's almost a third of his wages so he'd be down 2 thirds:o

Plus if its half as much hassle to get like it was 2 years ago when his appendix burst it will be like pulling teeth and I can only imagine the backlog there'll be with so many people claiming at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Downlinz wrote: »
    The whole point is to take radical action now to prevent ever being at that point.

If we do hit that point then we're screwed, avoidable deaths will happen and it's no use talking about it then. Now is the only time to talk about it and it shouldn't be dismissed as "alarmist".

It's interesting to look at these threads from 2 weeks ago and most things being labelled as alarmist or excessive then are viewed as sensible in hindsight today.

'Sensible' is not a word I would use about much of the social media commentary we've seen for the last couple of weeks. We've seen plenty of wild hysteria, panic and misinformation among the more balanced and nuanced commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

German airline Lufthansa said it would cancel 23,000 flights across the group, a 50% reduction, as it tries to deal with the fallout from the coronavirus crisis.

Lufthansa said it would scrap the flights between 29 March and 24 April, with more "expected in the coming weeks".

Up to now, Lufthansa had detailed 7,100 cancellations up to the end of its winter flight plan on 28 March.

Then on Friday it reported "drastic declines in bookings and numerous flight cancellations", saying it would slash capacity by 50% in the weeks ahead.

The economic effects of this will be felt for years to come regardless of the outcome of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

This has been gone over countless times.

It could take 6 months of Chinese measures to bring the spread to a halt. They are well on the way to that.

With regards a lockdown, you slow the spread to give enough chance to our medical professionals to deal with hospital admissions.

Slowing the spread is vital at this stage. 99% of people recognise this simple fact.

Part of the 1% who don't are in government or advising them. These clueless idiots will cost lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

namloc1980 wrote:
    Incoming significant increase in numbers. Should've been done a week ago.
    How exactly could this have been done a week ago when the testing kits werent available. Work still has to be done to validate testing in these hospitals before it can be used.

This is a very fast development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Such BS 'the Irish in Cheltenham' palaver. They live in a bubble.

And that stupid Colm Meaney ad this year to top it off. Paddywhackery at its best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

circadian wrote: »
    Is anyone doing any work anymore? May as well just send everyone home.

Following this thread is a full time job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

Interesting study on how long the virus can last on various surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭cmac2009

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Dow Jones drops 600 points opening , 2.5%

Goldman Sachs issued a report last night stating it has another 15% to fall. Its a long way off the bottom yet I would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Italians living in Ireland have put toghethr a fairly well written and documented petition to beg the Irish government to react faster: https://www.change.org/p/together-to-fight-coronavirus-in-ireland?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_20745638_en-GB%3Av4&recruited_by_id=07ebcff0-6311-11ea-b917-b7fabf2498b1&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial

And I got this from ... the teacher from my Chinese language course.

Teacher said she and her other Chinese colleagues are praying everyday for the Irish government to wake up before it is too late.

People who have contacts in seriously affected countries do see things very differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Someone in my office just tested positive. It's feels like its getting closer and closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Vacation is it?

As long as they keep away from the shopping mall ;)

Will they be travelling to the North for their shopping?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The Cheltenham roar could be replaced with the Cheltenham cough/sneeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

YFlyer wrote: »
    Will they be travelling to the North for their shopping?

Why would they :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

jester77 wrote: »
    Someone in my office just tested positive. It's feels like its getting closer and closer.

Location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

[PHP][/PHP]
    ixoy wrote: »
    When the schools close, they will need to give some advanced notice. A lot of people can't work from home, so something would need to be arranged with employers. You can't just assume all places can function if a big part of the staff vanish. People will still need a wage and a job to return to. Notice gives people time to try to balance.

The HSE/dept of education need to stop dismissing the rumours and start advising that closures are possible and parents should start making alternative arrangements for child minding and/or alternative work arrangements with their employers. No notice is being given apart from rumours but i'd be willing to bet a large amount of money the schools wont re-open next Wednesday after St patricks day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement