Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Hi really appreciate any help got email for expression of interest for my 2nd choice of county and the nearest places to me for this county would mean 1 hour plus drive each way to work!! Would they consider this or is there a cut off point with regards to uow far you travel to work? My 1st choice has taken hardly any people on and i dont want to loose out on a chance of full time job either so appreciate any help thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Arsenal1886

Hi guys,

I was wondering did anyone else get called for AGS Headquarters and had to go through the extra vetting?

How long was it before you heard back from HR about a start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dubbloke100

tiny14 wrote: »
    Hi really appreciate any help got email for expression of interest for my 2nd choice of county and the nearest places to me for this county would mean 1 hour plus drive each way to work!! Would they consider this or is there a cut off point with regards to uow far you travel to work? My 1st choice has taken hardly any people on and i dont want to loose out on a chance of full time job either so appreciate any help thanks

To me, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Take the first job offer you get. Once in the system, you might be able to relocate to your own county?

I hope that helps and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hi guys,

I was wondering did anyone else get called for AGS Headquarters and had to go through the extra vetting?

How long was it before you heard back from HR about a start date?

It can take up to six months I'm afraid. Worth the wait though IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Arsenal1886

It can take up to six months I'm afraid. Worth the wait though IMHO.
    That seems like a long time considering I was told that it would only take a few days on the phone, that was a week ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That seems like a long time considering I was told that it would only take a few days on the phone, that was a week ago now.

Takes from 16 weeks +.
    A few days for the ordinary.level vetting all right.
    Takes time to go through Pulse and question your local area Gardai if you've been at any "dodgy" funerals/marches/ protests, and to check out family members and their spouses/boyfriends/girlfriends/partners for any links to criminals and organised crime.
    Then the info is collated and lands on the Chief Super's desk for your area and he makes the decision if you are "a suitable person" to work in a Garda Station.

First stage vetting takes days and is sufficient for most of the civil service. AGS is different and has enhanced vetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lilywhite 1928

Anyone heard of people using the Taxsaver Commuter Ticket Scheme can you apply for it in any departments?
    I'm going to have to commute using public transport and need a few cost saving measures
    I'm taking a big paycut for the civil service going to be tight but hope its worth the gamble I hope to work hard and move up the ranks fast how likely is this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

@Lilywhite1928 - Should be no problem using this
    https://www.taxsaver.ie/Commuters/

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Anyone heard of people using the Taxsaver Commuter Ticket Scheme can you apply for it in any departments?
    I'm going to have to commute using public transport and need a few cost saving measures
    I'm taking a big paycut for the civil service going to be tight but hope its worth the gamble I hope to work hard and move up the ranks fast how likely is this.

You apply for it through the PSSC. There are only 2 windows per year to apply for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Jamp 123

For anybody waiting on batch 6 Dublin, I got an email from Revenue this morning to say they are currently at OOM34.

Do you mind me asking, which order of merit did you get after interview?

I'd imagine you should hear something very soon.

Any news on the Wexford/Rosslare Port positions results out in early March, good news if its oom34 for Dublin, any idea if any positions for Rosslare as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dubbloke100

Jamp 123 wrote: »
    Any news on the Wexford/Rosslare Port positions results out in early March, good news if its oom34 for Dublin, any idea if any positions for Rosslare as yet.
    Unfortunately not. I only asked them about Dublin. I am sure if you email the email address PAS gave, they will answer pretty quickly. They advised me within a few hours. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tbandrews

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's any movement in Mayo at the moment, someone mentioned an expression of interest for interview?

Any info appreciated, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dublinfan2020

Does anyone know when the holiday year starts in the Civil Service? Is it Jan to Dec or does it start later in the year?

I heard somewhere it starts April to April?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bangors85

Does anyone know when the holiday year starts in the Civil Service? Is it Jan to Dec or does it start later in the year?

1st of April

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiafleur

I’m Not sure but It may depend on the department. My partner works in the civil service and his holidays start on February 1st.

I have been asked for a reference for the last 12months. Ive been in 2 jobs the last 12 month's can you send one of those references or does it have to be your current employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

Public Jobs have sent out e-mails to people on listing for Tipperary asking them if they are interested in going for interview for Tipperary Town. I think it is part of Justice.

I have been asked for a reference for the last 12months. Ive been in 2 jobs the last 12 month's can you send one of those references or does it have to be your current employer?

Send in both. If only to prove you weren't fired from the previous job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AaronJ1

I am looking for some help/advice please
    The job in question is clerical officer in customs.
    I have completed all processes in question the interview ,vetting,references.
    The job is most likely based in Dublin Port but not confirmed yet .

My questions is that I would be travelling 1hr each way to work daily .
    1 Financially is it worth it with diesel and toll costs ?
    2 what times are the shifts ( day / night)

I would be giving up a well established career to start this post any feedback would be great thanks.

• Advertisement

Only you can tell if it's worth it.
    But starting out as a CO, you'll probably take home €375 a week or thereabouts.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Send in both. If only to prove you weren't fired from the previous job.

I'm afraid to hand in my current employer as I haven't handed in my notice so just a bit worried about them ringing until I hand in my notice

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

Does anyone know after being offered a one year contract for a clerical officer job in a university after the 1 year will you be on another one year contract or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Tippman24 wrote: »
    Public Jobs have sent out e-mails to people on listing for Tipperary asking them if they are interested in going for interview for Tipperary Town. I think it is part of Justice.

Hi i got the email for tipperary & do you mind me asking is it definitely for tipperary town as i didnt see it on my email thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bob.thebuilder

AaronJ1 wrote: »
    I am looking for some help/advice please
    The job in question is clerical officer in customs.
    I have completed all processes in question the interview ,vetting,references.
    The job is most likely based in Dublin Port but not confirmed yet .

My questions is that I would be travelling 1hr each way to work daily .
    1 Financially is it worth it with diesel and toll costs ?
    2 what times are the shifts ( day / night)

I would be giving up a well established career to start this post any feedback would be great thanks.

You will get 25% shift allowance & its 24hrs cover, so it will be 3 shifts with 8 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

tiny14 wrote: »
    Hi i got the email for tipperary & do you mind me asking is it definitely for tipperary town as i didnt see it on my email thanks
    Contact made with Public Jobs and was advised that the jobs are for Office in Tipperary Town. If you accept you are removed from panel for all of Tipperary, but if you refuse the offer you still are on panel. Where i am living in north tipp, it just would not be worth while to accept it. Google Maps advise me to drive into Limerick and then go out the waterford road.

AD07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know after being offered a one year contract for a clerical officer job in a university after the 1 year will you be on another one year contract or how does it work?

It depends. If you've been hired for a particular project your job might just end after the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

You will get 25% shift allowance & its 24hrs cover, so it will be 3 shifts with 8 hrs

How exactly do the shifts work? Are they five 8 hour shifts or is it 12 hours shifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

It depends. If you've been hired for a particular project your job might just end after the year.

Ok it’s not for a project. Just hoping to get a longer fixed term next rather than another 1 year contract for mortgage purposes

• Advertisement

AD07 wrote: »
    Ok it’s not for a project. Just hoping to get a longer fixed term next rather than another 1 year contract for mortgage purposes

They way it works in the civil service is you're sort of considered temporary in your first year, it's beyond the normal probation status - I wonder if it's a similar sort of setup.

I suppose the only thing you can really do is ask the local HR what the chances of a permanent job is. A lot of jobs in Universities would be fixed term contracts.

Advertisement