Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Other than that as long as schools remain open
    I can't in all honesty see that lasting either, I reckon they'll announce the closure of schools tomorrow/Tue when it goes to level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Water John wrote: »
    If we had all bought into Level 2/3, the livelyhood of many workers wouldn't be now at risk.

There's zero reason to think that is the case. We're moving into winter FFS cold and flu season. There's a lot more to rises over the last 6 weeks than people not following rules.
    All decisions/recommendations are being made based on dirty data which is a recipe for disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I think we should go to level 5, try to get it back under control...

I also think we should track down what caused clusters in places over the past few weeks, and put something in place if they happen again - fines or arrests if needed...
    So once(if) we get the numbers done again, if we see them creeping again in some place, and if the reasons are people not adhering to the protocols they get stuck with a decent fine...

It simply can't be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

GoneHome wrote: »
    Ahh maybe stay at home and have zero interaction with other people, that's why we're going to level 5, as my previous post said it's these mundane little interactions that are spreading the virus regardless of temperature checks etc and how "safe" you think they are, that's level 2 or 3 stuff which with the rising figures have proved to be ineffective

Tbh, zero interactions with other people is maybe a step too far.

But the onus is on us to limit the numbers of interactions with people outside our own house, minimise the length of those interactions, maintain social distancing, wear masks and wash our hands.

It's probably necessary for the next 6 months at least, assuming there's a viable and safe vaccine available at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It simply can't be done.

Maybe Sam, I don’t know enough about the science of it to definitely say...

My thinking is lockdown contained it last time, if we can do it once more and this time once under control keep a proper lid on it afterwards...

Might be wrong, others of course will disagree...

• Advertisement

Tbh, zero interactions with other people is maybe a step too far.

But the onus is on us to limit the numbers of interactions with people outside our own house, minimise the length of those interactions, maintain social distancing, wear masks and wash our hands.

It's probably necessary for the next 6 months at least, assuming there's a viable and safe vaccine available at that stage.

Yeah, lockdown or not - I think life will be strange for the medium term...
    And I think life will be different in the longer term...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Its when you read accounts of 33 year old dying of it - that it makes it clear its not just something older people get.

"A fitness "influencer" who thought COVID-19 did not exist has died from the virus at the age of 33."

https://news.sky.com/story/influencer-dmitriy-stuzhuk-dies-from-covid-19-after-denying-its-existence-12107174

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just a reminder of Level 5 restrictions as set out by the government.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Yeah, lockdown or not - I think life will be strange for the medium term...
    And I think life will be different in the longer term...

Thats a very pessimistic outlook.Cannot see people buying into all this for very much longer.
    Every day we hear "worst figures yet" " the next two weeks are crucial" etc and nothing happens.
    Lockdown in March was to allow the HSE to prepare and to string out bad cases as long as possible.

Everyone will tick the boxes and say all the right things but will it become something like a Bord Bia audit ie whats the point of a lot of this stupid stuff but lets shut up,pretend to do it,and the inspector will be gone soon

whelan2 wrote: »
    If schools are closed kids are going to hang around , no madks etc. At least at school they are in pods and so far it's working ok

Parenting failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

It simply can't be done.

If you closed the border and airports for good along with a severe lockdown with a functioning test and trace system. Possible then?

In saying that Probably needed to be done in march like NZ, to late now with cases widespread.

Parenting failure.

And what exactly does a parent who is at work all day do to keep their teenager from hanging around with other kids?
    its the most natural thing in the world ,unless you are anti social.
    Its grand for a day or two in more normal times but any kid who has half a brain will very soon understand that this "its only going to be for a week or two" is a lie and what else will they do.

If you closed the border and airports for good along with a severe lockdown with a functioning test and trace system. Possible then?

In saying that Probably needed to be done in march like NZ likley to late now

And how the actual f@@k would the country function with the airports and ports closed .Not to mention the BA couldn't close the border with machine guns,helicopter patrols and road closures.

ruwithme wrote: »
    If you believe that,you must believe nphet aren't telling the truth regarding schools and the spread of the virus.

Must I.

It's a virus that passes from person to person by various means which we don't fully understand yet. If they suggest a lockdown to curb what looks to be a rampant virus then do a proper job on it, not a half job.

Either way it won't matter though, as our population is too selfish/stupid to comply with the lesser measures to contain the virus. I guess late Winter/Spring 2021 will be our next crisis point after a 6 week which may turn into how many weeks lockdown?

I find some of the views on here odd, on a forum full of farmers used to dealing with virus and disease outbreaks in stock. Would ye let an incurable virus run rampant in the flock or herd? Not a chance.

And what exactly does a parent who is at work all day do to keep their teenager from hanging around with other kids?
    its the most natural thing in the world ,unless you are anti social.
    Its grand for a day or two in more normal times but any kid who has half a brain will very soon understand that this "its only going to be for a week or two" is a lie and what else will they do.

If you don't trust them at home unsupervised you've answered your own question. I agree the timeline for a proposed lockdown is, flexible, to put it kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭giveitholly

GoneHome wrote: »
    I can't in all honesty see that lasting either, I reckon they'll announce the closure of schools tomorrow/Tue when it goes to level 5

You seem certain its going to level 5? And if we do how long do we stay in level 5 and what do we do then? It's all very well saying we need to go into level 5 but what do we do then?

Must I.

It's a virus that passes from person to person by various means which we don't fully understand yet. If they suggest a lockdown to curb what looks to be a rampant virus then do a proper job on it, not a half job.

Either way it won't matter though, as our population is too selfish/stupid to comply with the lesser measures to contain the virus. I guess late Winter/Spring 2021 will be our next crisis point after a 6 week which may turn into how many weeks lockdown?

I find some of the views on here odd, on a forum full of farmers used to dealing with virus and disease outbreaks in stock. Would ye let an incurable virus run rampant in the flock or herd? Not a chance.

Well a few incurable virus are probably in my sheep as we speak(type).But as long as its not causing me any economic problems whats the issue?

Interesting reading the history of Covid 19 in Ireland on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

If you don't trust them at home unsupervised you've answered your own question. I agree the timeline for a proposed lockdown is, flexible, to put it kindly.

Well I have only myself to compare with and to be honest wouldn't trust a teenage me one inch.
    Kids in general are 100% more mature and better behaved than when I was in school at the same age but even still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Parenting failure.

I collected my daughter from secondary school early for an appointment on Thursday.
    There was 10 mins left in lunch time. I do a lot of work in the local gaa club. I travel the country with work. I have to be extremely careful in the job I am in as I meet a lot of people. I have been through under age training, involved in adult teams and been in many towns and villages over the country since we got out of lockdown one. All the above pale into insignificance to what I was looking at while waiting in that car park.
    As i sat in the car and my heart sank looking around at 100s of kids in massive groups having the craic like kids do. Not a care in the world, as if it was Oct 2019. These kids are mostly not going to show any symptoms. They will catch and spread the virus. Ya cant really blame them its just the way it is, has been and will always be. Secondary schools are a breeding ground for the virus.

• Advertisement

Thats a very pessimistic outlook.Cannot see people buying into all this for very much longer.
    Every day we hear "worst figures yet" " the next two weeks are crucial" etc and nothing happens.
    Lockdown in March was to allow the HSE to prepare and to string out bad cases as long as possible.

Everyone will tick the boxes and say all the right things but will it become something like a Bord Bia audit ie whats the point of a lot of this stupid stuff but lets shut up,pretend to do it,and the inspector will be gone soon

Am i pessimistic about it, I didn’t think I was. But maybe...

Medium term, like Buford said, it’ll be distancing, reducing contacts, sanitizer, masks...

Everyone is hoping for a vaccine. I am not sure how quick we’ll see one...
    I feel it’s possible the virus peters out... ok for most people, but vulnerable people will still feel very vulnerable in this scenario...

Not sure about your box ticking analagy... But, am happy to be wrong too Paddy... ;)

Well a few incurable virus are probably in my sheep as we speak(type).But as long as its not causing me any economic problems whats the issue?

As we tend to slaughter stock to eat or utilise for economic reasons and if you're not breaking welfare regulations none but, our elderly relatives or at risk members of the community.... less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I collected my daughter from secondary school early for an appointment on Thursday.
    There was 10 mins left in lunch time. I do a lot of work in the local gaa club. I travel the country with work. I have to be extremely careful in the job I am in as I meet a lot of people. I have been through under age training, involved in adult teams and been in many towns and villages over the country since we got out of lockdown one. All the above pale into insignificance to what I was looking at while waiting in that car park.
    As i sat in the car and my heart sank looking around at 100s of kids in massive groups having the craic like kids do. Not a care in the world, as if it was Oct 2019. These kids are mostly not going to show any symptoms. They will catch and spread the virus. Ya cant really blame them its just the way it is, has been and will always be. Secondary schools are a breeding ground for the virus.

100% on this, and that is why they need to close the schools when they announce level 5 tomorrow evening

My partner is a secondary school teacher, which is why we are so careful. She's just been working from home for the last week as we had a covid test on last Tuesday. People bitch about teachers being "off work", they ain't, but I tell ya what how far up would the volume dial be cranked if she said **** it I'm going to work and brought Covid into the school.

I passed a school in Mayo last week, maybe the week before. Groups of parents outside at pick up time huddled together chatting, not a mask between them. Who is setting the example for their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

And how the actual f@@k would the country function with the airports and ports closed .Not to mention the BA couldn't close the border with machine guns,helicopter patrols and road closures.

Only a question, Obviously not feasible. goods would be free to pass through. At least it would make it worthwhile locking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well I have only myself to compare with and to be honest wouldn't trust a teenage me one inch.
    Kids in general are 100% more mature and better behaved than when I was in school at the same age but even still.

And have a lot more money.
    I heard them being referred to the Covid generation on the telly last night because it'll be like the 1960s again, no jobs, only difference being that there'll be nowhere with jobs to Emigrate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

whelan2 wrote: »
    If schools are closed kids are going to hang around , no madks etc. At least at school they are in pods and so far it's working ok

A lot of secondary school pupils do not wear masks once outside the school.
    They walk in clusters with no regard for keeping the distance they are supposed to.
    The teachers, (at least in one school), insist that the pupils wear masks in the classroom but the teachers sit at the front of the classroom without masks.
    Such teachers are giving bad examples. It is very much a case of don't do as I do, do as I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A lot of secondary school pupils do not wear masks once outside the school.
    They walk in clusters with no regard for keeping the distance they are supposed to.
    The teachers, (at least in one school), insist that the pupils wear masks in the classroom but the teachers sit at the front of the classroom without masks.
    Such teachers are giving bad examples. It is very much a case of don't do as I do, do as I say.

Classrooms have a marked zone for teacher only and far enough away from all students to be safe, students aren’t far enough away from each other and so need masks.

When you make an effort to understand what is happening and why, things make much more sense.

I'd be the opposite and say that's exactly what we need and that's exactly what's worth protecting. We need children and teenagers to have their childhood and teenage years.
    If we don't allow it they'll grow to be even more neurotic than ourselves and with higher mental health problems and lower self esteem.

Think about it, with the percentage of deaths we've had and if this was 100 years ago and with no social media, would people know any different from their normal life?

I'm not denying there's a virus as I'm 90% sure looking back I had it in March after a family wedding where some at it came from Milan.
    I had pneumonia as a child and I felt a tightning on my lungs for about a week.
    My elderly parents one had a cough and one felt 'off' for two days. Another family member had no effects sitting at that table with the Milan tourist.

I said it before that it looks like other Coronavirus's in that we'll get it again and again and again and it does look like it's bearing that way.
    In mice with coronaviruses they had maximum immunity by being continually or with short times of exposure and more symptoms shown when say a six month period break between exposures.

My own personal to me preference would be to just open the country up and have those who want to cocoon, go and cocoon. But then I'd be a bit of a liberal about everybody should be in charge of themselves and make their own choices and then I'm not in charge of our health system..

• Advertisement

Have to agree with Say my name

This covid panic is a godsend for every nuerotic fruitcake who kept his issues to himself but now sees strenght in numbers.
    Maybe thats a bit strong but its my honest opinion.
    The amount of people with hang ups about things constantly surprises me.
    Death or even then idea of its inevitability seems to be a biggie at the moment.
    From reading online it seems every person alive has an " underlying condition" of some sort.

Advertisement