Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Looks like level 5 for 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    Looks like level 5 for 6 weeks

Maybe if they had acted when NEPHET advises we would be on the way out now. Places like here in Cavan it’s so out of control it will take a time to be controlled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

I read there on RTE they are thinking that the GAA will continue - I think that's a terrible if it does turn out to be true... :mad:

It'll be a long 6 weeks in this weather for people, shorter evenings etc.
    Was watching mayo galway yesterday n thought it was great to have it back on. Champions league back on the telly tomorrow night -no covid misery tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Maybe if they had acted when NEPHET advises we would be on the way out now. Places like here in Cavan it’s so out of control it will take a time to be controlled again.

Louth are doing well, 5 cases today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

An awful lot of retailers very angry this evening over the upcoming lockdown.

The busiest time of year and people forced to stay away.
    Rumors of more going to close as they can't cope.

This has been unprecedented since the foundation of the state. Even those who survived the recession a few years back and were considered strong are feeling the pinch.

There's going to be a very bleak picture of commerce in Ireland.

Edit: pay cuts should be considered for government and civil service if this country is ever going to right it's keel when we go through this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

An awful lot of retailers very angry this evening over the upcoming lockdown.

The busiest time of year and people forced to stay away.
    Rumors of more going to close as they can't cope.

This has been unprecedented since the foundation of the state. Even those who survived the recession a few years back and were considered strong are feeling the pinch.

There's going to be a very bleak picture of commerce in Ireland.

Edit: pay cuts should be considered for government and civil service if this country is ever going to right it's keel when we go through this.
    From the FT. Countries with poorer control have worse effects on their economies.
    RjZkRQ8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Classrooms have a marked zone for teacher only and far enough away from all students to be safe, students aren’t far enough away from each other and so need masks.

When you make an effort to understand what is happening and why, things make much more sense.

There is no need to be patronising.
    I understand full well what is happening.

The teachers I referred to are setting a bad example - there is no getting away from that.

From the FT. Countries with poorer control have worse effects on their economies.
    RjZkRQ8.jpg

You'd seriously question that graph.

Vietnam and China did well relatively from Covid.

I guess we should send someone over and copy and paste their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

The teachers I referred to are setting a bad example - there is no getting away from that.

I think Brians point was the teachers are far enough away from the students to not have to wear a mask. I have heard some classrooms have perspex in front of the teacher, to allow them to not have to wear masks...

If your job is heavily dependent on expressions and facial movements, as teaching can be - then it makes sense that teachers not wear masks in some cases.

I dont think this is setting a bad example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Jb1989 wrote: »
    I agree with your sentiment, there are plenty of areas lifeless around here too, different Strokes for different folks.

I think a big part of perception is down to personality type - introverts are understandably less impacted by the enormous social restrictions wheras for sociable outgoing people its very different. We lost our brightest and best employee today who's in the later camp. Made her decision after the announcement today. She's getting out of the country while she still has some sanity remaining. Big loss to business, but I don't blame her one bit. If I was young free and single I'd be gone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Well Vietnam closed up their borders early and their figures are somewhat believable, or course mainland China's numbers are a fabrication, but look at where New Zealand are now as a country, i don't doubt their numbers, they've handled a very difficult situation very, very well, we seem to have learned nothing over the past 7 months sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

endainoz wrote: »
    Uh oh we've got a live one here

Have you forgotten that even the likes of Tony Holohan and Luke O'Neill told us that masks were of very limited benefit back in the spring?!
    How quickly the grey becomes black and white for some people.
    Masks are fine if used correctly and in the correct context. However, the vast majority don't wear them correctly and in some cases the misurse is worse than no mask at all.

I think if your genuine non of us want the response that is in place I’m the likes of China.

Compulsory invasive monitoring and tracking of movements. Swift often heavy handed extraction of infected individuals. I often see people saying “how have China gone back to normal”, simple answer is it hasn’t, and the people have lost many privacy’s and freedoms that they Will likely never get back.

The old adage, be careful what you wish for !!

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I think a big part of perception is down to personality type - introverts are understandably less impacted by the enormous social restrictions wheras for sociable outgoing people its very different. We lost our brightest and best employee today who's in the later camp. Made her decision after the announcement today. She's getting out of the country while she still has some sanity remaining. Big loss to business, but I don't blame her one bit. If I was young free and single I'd be gone too.

What countries are the most open and have gone back to normal?

There was a tweet from England with 60 farmers in a hall which I was surprised to see compared to here. No face masks and no social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I hope all were listening to what Micheal martin said regarding schools staying open,as i believe media and unions won't stop making mischief in their quest to close the schools. Trouble.makers.

Relax there.
    The teachers have explained the science to the kids. Within their safe zone they are sufficiently far away from students not to be a risk. This isn’t a bad example, this is treating the kids with respect and keeping with the science rather than optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Well Vietnam closed up their borders early and their figures are somewhat believable, or course mainland China's numbers are a fabrication, but look at where New Zealand are now as a country, i don't doubt their numbers, they've handled a very difficult situation very, very well, we seem to have learned nothing over the past 7 months sadly.

New Zealand might be seen as the gold standard at the minute, but their going to be in a hell of a precarious position unless a vaccine is found in the next 6-9 months, they cant keep a closed borders approach indefinitely for economic reasons and when they start letting tourists etc back in they're population is largely going to be totally niave to the virus and it will run rampant, they aren't like Ireland who can borrow money for the minute easily of the ecb, they are going to be at the mercy of less forgiving lenders

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Better examples to draw on are, South Korea and Japan especially considering how populous they are.
    You could also look at Kerela Province in India. Pop 35m, deaths from covid 1,182.
    The poorest area in India with close links supplying workers in Wuhan. They reacted early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Are marts still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Listening to the Minister for Health and his outlining areas of concern and support, I can see the work of Susan Mitchell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Teachers are already grumbling on radio (Newstalk) that they're being forced to work in a Level 5.
    Some might not turn up for work.

There is always the Covid PUP awaiting them if they prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭older by the day

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Are marts still open?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#organised-indoor-gatherings
    By this, they will probably shut, but there are exceptions like building and schools. So I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭solerina

Relax there.
    The teachers have explained the science to the kids. Within their safe zone they are sufficiently far away from students not to be a risk. This isn’t a bad example, this is treating the kids with respect and keeping with the science rather than optics.

If the room is large enough to have a safe zone that is in fact far enough away from the students, None are in my school. Everyone is wearing masks, sanitising constantly and washing desks after each class and still we have had a few cases. The rooms are just too crowded.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Are marts still open?

I would imagine so yes. I'd envisage a return to 100% online bidding with seller's dropping off stock and leaving the premises immediately. There's talk of no viewing time before the sale and all stock sold subject and collected after the sale. Once there's only staff on the premises I can't see why social distancing couldn't be enacted and the marts continue trading. It worked in the last lockdown and I don't see why it can't work again particularly as we're in the peak trading period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

I would imagine so yes. I'd envisage a return to 100% online bidding with seller's dropping off stock and leaving the premises immediately. There's talk of no viewing time before the sale and all stock sold subject and collected after the sale. Once there's only staff on the premises I can't see why social distancing couldn't be enacted and the marts continue trading. It worked in the last lockdown and I don't see why it can't work again particularly as we're in the peak trading period.

Back my way in the local mart, sellers drop off their animals and don’t leave their vehicles, buyers then look at the animals,only 21 can enter the sales ring and keep 2m apart, everybody wears a mask when on site, you would imagine even with level 5 this should be good enough, what’s the difference between a meat factory or a construction site compared or even a school to a mart,in my opinion if buying animals it takes time to look at them, hopefully they will come to some compromise on this

solerina wrote: »
    If the room is large enough to have a safe zone that is in fact far enough away from the students, None are in my school. Everyone is wearing masks, sanitising constantly and washing desks after each class and still we have had a few cases. The rooms are just too crowded.

Almost every school is different. Shape of rooms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Marts will have to stay open....coming into arguably the busiest time of the year.

It's a joke though that 30 odd people can pull and drag out of each other and sweat and spit running after a ball but only 10 people can attend a funeral.

Finally fair play to Colm O Rourke for calling out the Teachers union for acting the taepots

morphy87 wrote: »
    Back my way in the local mart, sellers drop off their animals and don’t leave their vehicles, buyers then look at the animals,only 21 can enter the sales ring and keep 2m apart, everybody wears a mask when on site, you would imagine even with level 5 this should be good enough, what’s the difference between a meat factory or a construction site compared or even a school to a mart,in my opinion if buying animals it takes time to look at them, hopefully they will come to some compromise on this

From what I understand from our own mart, sellers drop off stock and leave mart. Buyers may inspect stock, but there is no one allowed into the ring. It'll be all online buying. That should work ok.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Marts will have to stay open....coming into arguably the busiest time of the year.

It's a joke though that 30 odd people can pull and drag out of each other and sweat and spit running after a ball but only 10 people can attend a funeral.

Finally fair play to Colm O Rourke for calling out the Teachers union for acting the taepots

Teachers getting a hard time on here.

Does every farmer here agree with everything all our lobby groups say :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Teachers getting a hard time on here.

Does every farmer here agree with everything all our lobby groups say :confused:

Teachers aren't the problem. They have a tough job in tough conditions. But the unions a different matter. Always stirring ****e

Advertisement