Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

shanmo wrote: »
    Tesco Arthurs Quay had loads of tesco wipes when I was in an hour ago!

I managed to find Dettol wipes here, thanks again.

I also tried Dunnes in the city but they had nothing. 2 Dealz stores and 1 Euro Giant also were useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭geotrig

Mc Love wrote: »
    I wont forgive you. Numerous experts and virologists have said wearing a mask wont stop you getting the virus and unless you have the symptoms of the virus then its pointless wearing a surgical mask.

Doctors wear the masks so that they dont infect the person they are operating on when they've opened them up with whatever germs/bacteria they are carrying around.

Be bloody sensible ffs

I think the majority have said it can be pointless if you are not in an area where you can be exposed!! there is also it seems to be cases of people "not knowing" they have /had it(although some reports suggest a mild case is like a crap flu) so I'd personally would prefer if everyone had to wear a mask when in supermarkets and the likes for everyone's benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMLZ7BVYYQM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I wont forgive you. Numerous experts and virologists have said wearing a mask wont stop you getting the virus and unless you have the symptoms of the virus then its pointless wearing a surgical mask.

Doctors wear the masks so that they dont infect the person they are operating on when they've opened them up with whatever germs/bacteria they are carrying around.

Be bloody sensible ffs

Have you asked the Chinese? They all wear masks, zero new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Have you asked the Chinese? They all wear masks, zero new cases.

That wasn't due to wearing masks. They were told to stay in their houses and not go anywhere except for supermarkets and pharmacies etc. They also had QR codes on their phones where if it was green you were safe and you had to show this going into these places. If you came into close contact with someone that had a red QR code your code went to red and had to go home and stay home.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Please can stop discussion on the merits of masks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Off topic but before I set off to travel - does anyone know if zweton in Castletroy/Annacotty is open? For takeaway obviously.

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    Off topic but before I set off to travel - does anyone know if zweton in Castletroy/Annacotty is open? For takeaway obviously.

Rather than asking on here you could ring them to see? And then you could place your order and collect it if they are open. (061) 338 333 (google is your friend BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think someone mentioned here that the Raheen one is closed, as far as I know the city centre one is still open if the Annacotty one is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Rather than asking on here you could ring them to see? And then you could place your order and collect it if they are open. (061) 338 333 (google is your friend BTW).

Fair point. Just thought as I was on the thread I'd ask. But that's put me back in my little box now hasn't it? :rolleyes:

There's no answer btw so I assume they are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Annacotty one is closed since Paddys day , 29th is the date for reopening although like everywhere else this will be probably be extended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone know of any pharmacy in Limerick that sells peak flow meters or finger oximeters.

Can get them on Amazon but always prefer to shop local.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Ventured out today after a week staying put. Had a spin around town at 6 this evening in the car. Luigi's by the train station had a queue going down the street. They were serving from their street hatch. Locals had scarves and masks on as they waited. Personally I wouldn't do any takeaways right now as I'd be worried about any coughing or spluttering on the food/bag etc. I'm super paranoid.

Supervalue Castletroy was very good at the social distancing. You had to queue to get in, they have markers on the floor. As you are called to enter, they make you disinfect your hands and put on disposable gloves. Numbers inside are kept regulated so no crowding. Checkout, again, 2 meter distance queue. When called you put your goods on the conveyor and are instructed to step away whilst the cashier rings through and packs your food for you. Then they step away, and you put your food in your trolley, then you step away and they ring up the total for your card....etc etc. Now maybe I had an extra cautious cashier, but was quite happy to comply. Good to see this going on today, even though it made me quite sad as I saw people I knew but you really don't want to stop and chat too long....at 2 meters....stay safe out there...and be super cautious. I'm worried people will start to become complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That's not an issue. It's being being close to someone for 10 mins or more. You won't catch the virus from passing someone on the street unless the cough on you.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms-causes-treatment.html

The HSE disagree with you. They are going with 15 minutes...BTW, I don't agree with either figure. If an infected person were to sneeze or cough directly into your face within seconds of close contact then you can stop counting your minutes ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    If an infected person were to sneeze or cough directly into your face within seconds of close contact then you can stop counting your minutes ;).

..and start counting your days

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The gangs of feral teenagers are up to the usual during the day. Coughing while people are passing, causing trouble for businesses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Canteen in PArkway was closed today.
    O'briens closed early
    When I checked lily house on just eat they were closed too.

Dunnes in parkway seem pretty well prepared, though going in at 8pm is quiet anyway.

PArkway shopping centre playing "Staying Alive" on the way out was a bit eerie given there was no one about...

Tree wrote: »
    Canteen in PArkway was closed today.
    O'briens closed early
    When I checked lily house on just eat they were closed too.

Dunnes in parkway seem pretty well prepared, though going in at 8pm is quiet anyway.

PArkway shopping centre playing "Staying Alive" on the way out was a bit eerie given there was no one about...

Parkway store hours

PW-Covid-Hours-1.png

Other-Stores-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The gangs of feral teenagers are up to the usual during the day. Coughing while people are passing, causing trouble for businesses.

if only this virus affected scumbags and no one else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Some parts if the city will become total no go areas soon. Bad enough on a normal day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

They’d want to be very careful who they pull that **** on - any scumbag child come near me doing that and their teeth will be in the back of their throat going home, doesn’t matter what age they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Took a quick spin out in the car there to quell the cabin fever...

The B&Q business park looked extremely busy as I was passing it.....there seems little point in closing pubs and restaurants and allowing non-essential retail shops to remain open and have people wandering around them like zombies.

The Parkway seemed a little quieter than normal, still a fair few people milling about.

And Childers Rd. looked like the 7th layer of hell but afaik Dunnes are limiting numbers that are in the shop at the same time.

I'd imagine it's only a matter of time until stricter measures (like France and Spain) are introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Took a quick spin out in the car there to quell the cabin fever...

The B&Q business park looked extremely busy as I was passing it.....there seems little point in closing pubs and restaurants and allowing non-essential retail shops to remain open and have people wandering around them like zombies.

The Parkway seemed a little quieter than normal, still a fair few people milling about.

And Childers Rd. looked like the 7th layer of hell but afaik Dunnes are limiting numbers that are in the shop at the same time.

I'd imagine it's only a matter of time until stricter measures (like France and Spain) are introduced

Everybody seems to be doing diy and painting at home... hardware shops reporting great trade.

Seventh layer of hell... best descriptive ever of childers road

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Father went out to jetland at the time for elderly and vulnerable and said the queue was a mile long and not one person under the age of 65 in it

Father went out to jetland at the time for elderly and vulnerable and said the queue was a mile long and not one person under the age of 65 in it

The cynic in me thinks that a lot of the modifications advertised are nothing more than a pr stunt... Ideally the chains should be finding a way of organising home delivery. For the elderly it's not just the logistics of getting there but simply carrying shopping to car and home. Our local shop has coordinated with pharmacy to get deliveries of both to those vulnerable... again this is where communities need to stick together. I know it's easier in the villages than larger areas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's because at those times, they are taking elderly people from the queue and allowing them immediate access to the shop. My mum was at Dunnes in Childer's Rd yesterday and the woman in front of her was an older woman. As soon as security saw her, they brought her out of the queue and took her straight inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well that is good, maybe my old man needed to say something as he's a young looking 65 retiree :)

iguana wrote: »
    That's because at those times, they are taking elderly people from the queue and allowing them immediate access to the shop. My mum was at Dunnes in Childer's Rd yesterday and the woman in front of her was an older woman. As soon as security saw her, they brought her out of the queue and took her straight inside.

Great initiative but unless the q is maintaining social distance doesn't it negate the point.. I know there's no easy answer but those over 65 shouldn't ideally be standing in any q. I saw a pic of tons of elderly in UK all waiting to get into shop during designated hours, all on top of each other...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Great initiative but unless the q is maintaining social distance doesn't it negate the point.. I know there's no easy answer but those over 65 shouldn't ideally be standing in any q. I saw a pic of tons of elderly in UK all waiting to get into shop during designated hours, all on top of each other...

I've only seen the Dunnes on Childres Rd but the queue area was taped out on the ground and people had to stand in squares 2m apart from each other. When the queue goes forward, everyone advances one square and it's strictly monitored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I was out in Tesco Coonagh at 9:10 at it was very well stocked and not bust at all, was out of there at 10 with a full weeks shop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement