Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Yes you are so right, I mean look at one of the drugs being mentioned as a possible treatment - Hydroxychloroquine. It's just fruits and weeds with your logic:

Hydroxychloroquine sulfate, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Polyethylene glycol 400, Polysorbate 80, Starch, Titanium Dioxide.

I don't know about you but I've never seen a multipack of any of those things in the fruit & veg aisle..have you?

You went to the trouble of googling what is in chloroquine and saw scientific words and stopped googling and then made an uninformed assumption. Do a very basic PubMed search, the gold standard for collating research. Presently vit c is being used in conjunction with zinc and chloroquine. The core ingredient of the latter originating from a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Can we leave the debate for a different thread please?

I agree it shouldn't define the thread but uninformed opinions have to be called out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Can we please get back to discussing the virus and the impact in Limerick rather than bickering with each other. There are plenty of other threads for that. I am specifically following this thread for local info, not to get overwhelmed with other people's arguements.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Sorry, just seen above, posted at same time

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Has Argos now closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Stay safe people. Nature also does have a way to help you protect yourself.
    *URL REMOVED*

I might get modded for this but this I want to be clear this does not constitute medical advice, you should speak to your GP for that.

Some of these "natural antiviral agents" have potentially fatal interactions with very common medications people take. You should not be touting them online for that reason alone and that's before the fact these "natural" remedies have next to no scientific basis at all. You know what they call natural remedies that work? Medicine.

I absolutely urge a moderator to clip that link from the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Esel... do you know what the primary ingredient is of chloroquine.. the drug being touted as holding the most possibility in alleviating covid? It's quinine. Quinine comes from a tree. Aspirin opiates penicillin taxol to name but a few.. they all originate from plants or trees.
    Please do some research before you completely disparage what was essentially a post recommending antivirals.
    Some lad died in Phoenix yesterday by taking what you and Trump are advocating us to take. Please do some research yourself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

One more case in Limerick today, bringing us to a whopping 19. 1.4% of the cases in the country. Either we have a more serious testing backlog compared to other regions of the country or we're unbelievably lucky here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Option 'a'........

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: do not post medical advice on here please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Has Argos now closed?

They looked open around 10.30 this morning when I walked past (doors were open, though a shutter was down inside one window). There were notices saying they were limiting the number of customers inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Louche Lad wrote: »
    They looked open around 10.30 this morning when I walked past (doors were open, though a shutter was down inside one window). There were notices saying they were limiting the number of customers inside.

The announcement of non essential shops closing didn't happen until 4pm.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think electrical stores were considered essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Has Argos now closed?

Argos should have been the first to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

YFlyer wrote: »
    Argos should have been the first to close.

Why? They have a shopping system that can be easily adapted to social distancing once they limit the number of people in the shop.

Order and pay at kiosk
    Wait for item
    Collect item
    Walk out the door.

Minimal personal interaction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Why? They have a shopping system that can be easily adapted to social distancing once they limit the number of people in the shop.

Order and pay at kiosk
    Wait for item
    Collect item
    Walk out the door.

And meanwhile every construction site(most of which are filthy kips at the best of times) is working away as normal. I do understand that shutting these places will have a huge economic impact but lets be honest and say that and not be saying that these decisions are taken only on medical advice. This is a deadly virus and deadly serious actions have to be taken if we are to have any hope of containing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Order and pay at kiosk
    Wait for item
    Collect item
    Walk out the door.

Using the keyboard in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Which can be easily disinfected, again by limiting people in store and allowing for time between transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Argos should have been the first store to close because of keyboards. Got it.

Thread is delivering the crucial info the last two days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Or click and collect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭phog

Argos would be well within the categories of store that can remain open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtyHarry88

Some lad died in Phoenix yesterday by taking what you and Trump are advocating us to take. Please do some research yourself.

Absolute nonsense. That poster only mentioned Quinine, the herbal ingredient in Tonic Water.

The phoenix case is completely different, you are talking through your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Absolute nonsense. That poster only mentioned Quinine, the herbal ingredient in Tonic Water.

The phoenix case is completely different, you are talking through your hole.
    Why do people have to be so rude to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

august12 wrote: »

Because anonymous internet forums attract a lot of ignorant people, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Comhra wrote:
    Because anonymous internet forums attract a lot of ignorant people, sadly.

And don't forget the know all's.

Bumping a question I had on peak flow meters has anyone picked one up locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

august12 wrote: »

Because you can be a big man on the internet when you'd never even whisper the same thing to someone in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And meanwhile every construction site(most of which are filthy kips at the best of times) is working away as normal. I do understand that shutting these places will have a huge economic impact but lets be honest and say that and not be saying that these decisions are taken only on medical advice. This is a deadly virus and deadly serious actions have to be taken if we are to have any hope of containing it.

(Un)fortunately, Limerick hasn’t many construction sites in the first place...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Had to take a quick spin into town earlier to pick up prescription from GP.....it was pretty quiet in general but still saw queues at both Supermacs (Ballysimon) and Luigis.

Very strange and eerie atmosphere around the place but most people seem to be behaving reasonably (didn't see any large groups)....the notable exception being a fella I saw at the top of William St. who spat on the footpath about 8 times in the space of 10 yards.

Stay safe folks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Dirty Harry gone to wash his hands for a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

phog wrote: »
    Argos would be well within the categories of store that can remain open

are you kiddin? all the people flicking through the catalogos, pressing the keyboards pads, sitting around waiting for the items...its a bacteria playground..it should close

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement