Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Thanks, Berty. I'll try going first thing in the morning and maybe call to somewhere like Dealz too. Might have more luck there.

The shops are a bit strange at the moment with some shelves empty, some full and every place having a different system for disinfecting and distancing (or no system at all for some). Plus an eerie atmosphere.

I could also do with hand sanitiser but I'm sure I'd have better luck on the euromillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shanmo

le_girl wrote:
    Anyone know of a supermarket or shop around that actually has disinfecting spray and wipes in stock? Maybe I'm just unlucky but I can't seem to find any.

Tesco Arthurs Quay had loads of tesco wipes when I was in an hour ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

shanmo wrote: »
    Tesco Arthurs Quay had loads of tesco wipes when I was in an hour ago!

Perfect, that's just up the street from me so I'll try there too. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Pretty much all stores are fully stocked now except for a few bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭moonage

How availabe are protective face masks in pharmacies around the city?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

moonage wrote: »

Unless you have the virus there's no point in wearing a mask. They don't protect you from getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

They aren't protective in the slightest, only worth anything if you have symptoms to stop you spreading it through coughing. I'd still like to know what the gob****es with 400 rolls of toilet paper thought they were stocking up for....

Unless you have the virus there's no point in wearing a mask. They don't protect you from getting it.

I don't want one to protect me from getting it.

My question is how available are they?

I don't want one to protect me from getting it.

My question is how available are they?

What do you need it for so? Pointless buying them if you don't have symptoms of some sort

Blaze420 wrote: »
    What do you need it for so? Pointless buying them if you don't have symptoms of some sort

What a strange question to ask. I would have thought the answer would be fairly obvious.

In my own case I live with an elderly parent.

I don't have symptons now but might have them tomorrow so having a mask handy would be beneficial.

• Advertisement

What a strange question to ask. I would have thought the answer would be fairly obvious.

In my own case I live with an elderly parent.

I don't have symptons now but might have them tomorrow so having a mask handy would be beneficial.

Think mccabes have them if you need some genuinely, be warned though the price has sky rocketed thanks to the clowns who needlessly stockpiled them without having a clue about their effect. Hope you and yours stay safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Had a flat tyre earlier and proceeded to change it when I see this guy running towards me with one of those air pumps you can use to help me and all i could think at the time was, how do i tell him to politely stay away from me lol
    Some funny moments in this all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

No restrictions at 6 yesterday evening, but it was not busy. The madness of buying as much bog roll as can fit in your trolley has passed.

Just back from Jetland, looks like Dunnes have put restrictions in place. Queue of people, socially distant, waiting to get in down as far as B&B. Not sure what limits are in place as I didn't hang around. They seem to have a one-way system in operation as well.

Unsure if the other units are closed, CFW had their shutters halfway down, but there were staff in there, same with the off license. Cafes look closed, Carrig Doon is closed with sign on the window. Pharmacy still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TaitsClock

Saw a sign in the newsagents in Arthur's quay advertising them for €3.50 so im guessing they have them in stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was in AIB Castletroy to put some money into my bank card.

Over at their online banking section there are two banking ports side by side. Two customers and two bank employees were very close together. Found it usually.

Would have been better if they only have one of the ports working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

moonage wrote:

If you can't get any there are videos online from Chinese doctors showing people how to make them with kitchen roll, elastic bands and a stapler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Went to dunnes jetland there. Queue to get in. took me about 10 minutes in the queue, 1 in 1 out. limiting numbers. 2 mtrs distance marked out, gloves and sanatiser available . was very well set up and run fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

tony1980 wrote: »
    Had a flat tyre earlier and proceeded to change it when I see this guy running towards me with one of those air pumps you can use to help me and all i could think at the time was, how do i tell him to politely stay away from me lol
    Some funny moments in this all the same!
    Went out for a stroll earlier and two separate people said hello, just 50cm away from us, as they went past. On the other hand some others were clearly keeping their distance as we passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

There are at least 14 people in Limerick with it, perhaps they are one of them? Or know one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

^^^ Hard to imagine that if you were one of the 14 people in Limerick with the virus you would be asking for assistance on Boards........;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

There are at least 14 people in Limerick with it, perhaps they are one of them? Or know one of them?

Someone I know I'm Limerick has all the symptoms and had been waiting days but no sign on test.

There are way more than 14 cases out there in limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    ^^^ Hard to imagine that if you were one of the 14 people in Limerick with the virus you would be asking for assistance on Boards........;)

Looking at half the ****e posted in After Hours, you’d never know...

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Went out for a stroll earlier and two separate people said hello, just 50cm away from us, as they went past. On the other hand some others were clearly keeping their distance as we passed.

That's not an issue. It's being being close to someone for 10 mins or more. You won't catch the virus from passing someone on the street unless the cough on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Forgive me but I do have an issue with statements like this.
    They are absolutely not pointless and actually an active measure not to catch a virus.
    First you need to wear them correctly and secondly even surgical masks do have a great role in stopping to get infected. People do not realize how many times per day they unknowingly touch face, rub nose, mouths, eyes... In the light of this mask play essential role in stopping you doing this and getting infection from your hands after touching contaminated surface.

I would recommend and applaud for anyone who go around with a face mask mainly when going to usualy crowded spaces like shops.

Also you may want to use disposable cheap type as it is recomended to dispose it after some use. I do not know, maybe some can be disinfected and reused but I would rather go for a new one every time when around too many people.

You can also make one from kitchen paper towel and believe me what may look funny today will pretty much be a norm in a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wont forgive you. Numerous experts and virologists have said wearing a mask wont stop you getting the virus and unless you have the symptoms of the virus then its pointless wearing a surgical mask.

Doctors wear the masks so that they dont infect the person they are operating on when they've opened them up with whatever germs/bacteria they are carrying around.

Be bloody sensible ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Anyway from what I can see at this stage the most sensible step right now would be a complete shutdown(except for essentials) for about 3 weeks at least. I don't see why they are dithering about doing this now as surely it would be the most effective next step.

Anyway from what I can see at this stage the most sensible step right now would be a complete shutdown(except for essentials) for about 3 weeks at least. I don't see why they are dithering about doing this now as surely it would be the most effective next step.

It's too early for that. We have yet to see the effects of the schools shutting and the social distancing measures. It will take two weeks before we see if it's made a difference. Many countries in Asia have flattened the curve without resorting to a full lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's too early for that. We have yet to see the effects of the schools shutting and the social distancing measures. It will take two weeks before we see if it's made a difference. Many countries in Asia have flattened the curve without resorting to a full lockdown.

Well anyone that I have spoken to would have no objection to a lockdown. Better to have it now and try and nip this thing in the bud. I know it would be inconvenient but this is a serious scenario that requires drastic action.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Well anyone that I have spoken to would have no objection to a lockdown. Better to have it now and try and nip this thing in the bud. I know it would be inconvenient but this is a serious scenario that requires drastic action.

No point in nipping it in the bud now. We could be back where we started in a few months time again. They estimate 60% will get it. The whole point in the measures now is that the 60% don't get it all at once. They want the numbers over a longer period of time so it won't put a starain on services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do remember that those who have it will have mild symptoms, they just happen to have been confirmed positive for it. Yes, those people are a risk to others contracting this Virus and can adversely affect the weaker in our society. We will see a higher number of people being diagnosed with it over the coming days but that is also due to the fact that we're actively testing for it.

If we also actively tested for other viruses then we'd also find those but in general we don't test for other viruses on such a scale. Proper social distancing will help in those not even affected(or don't know it).

I visited Jetland earlier, needed to get to the post office and it's marked for social distancing on the ground. They're also selling facemasks and some hand sanitiser thing for €5.00. Tiny little bottle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement