Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

le_girl wrote: »
    I'm gonna stick with this thread for local updates and avoid the main one because it's just making me more upset and scared. The struggle of wanting to stay informed, though.

It's going to be a tough few weeks, we are all in it together.

Stay away from the news, or at least limit your exposure to it.

Be prepared to see things you never thought you'd see.

Win little battles at home every day, like exercising, reading, eating well.

In no time, we will all get through this, I'm looking forward to the first night Costellos opens again...never again will I take that place for granted...well, not initially anyway!!!

Maybe we could share tips on how to keep ourselves busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

It's going to be a tough few weeks, we are all in it together.

Stay away from the news, or at least limit your exposure to it.

Be prepared to see things you never thought you'd see.

Win little battles at home every day, like exercising, reading, eating well.

In no time, we will all get through this, I'm looking forward to the first night Costellos opens again...never again will I take that place for granted...well, not initially anyway!!!

Maybe we could share tips on how to keep ourselves busy...

That sounds good, thanks for the tips. I was doing well up until now, it's just an awful lot. I need to drop the urge to stay on top of every bit of news I think.

Someone said that a lot of people are going to have to do a lot of growing up very quickly in the near future and I'm probably one of those people. Not that I'm even that young.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

893bet wrote: »
    Would appreciate a recommendation. Have 3 greater that 75 in the house!

I'm wary in case it's misconstrued as medical advice which it isn't! Just make sure it gives 5l pm... some on Amazon give just 1 l which isn't much use... my gives 10 but it was over 1,000 so I know that's out of the park for lots of people. It has been an incredible boost for me and friends who use it. Check out Amazon.de not uk ... these are the norm in Germany. Also really do check when they would be shipped... I'm hoping to get an email from the rep I bought mine from tomorrow and I can pm if allowed. If not mods please let me know. Alternative is to look for companies in ireland that rent... don't get a oxygen generator it's a concentrator because you won't need o2 tanks to buy etc. Again this is not a replacement ever for a ventilator which is entirely different and meets different requirements and of course is much more intensive in terms of intervention. But a simple PubMed search of concentrators and pulmonary distress indicates benefits.

le_girl wrote: »
    I'm gonna stick with this thread for local updates and avoid the main one because it's just making me more upset and scared. The struggle of wanting to stay informed, though.

I couldn't stay with the other thread and am wavering between trying to keep up to date but also not focusing entirely. We don't have live tv and are self isolating. Fb and whatsapp... altering from rumours to denial. Hopefully we can support each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I couldn't stay with the other thread and am wavering between trying to keep up to date but also not focusing entirely. We don't have live tv and are self isolating. Fb and whatsapp... altering from rumours to denial. Hopefully we can support each other.

Same. I don't want to consume everything but thanks to being on FB last night I found out that there was a confirmed case in my hometown. Where my parents are. So I don't want to bury my head in the sand completely.

The other thread is just a no go, though. I know that people are sharing really valuable info and opinions but when you read through any single page it starts to feel like there's no hope whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Yeah its scary the other thread. So anxious reading it. I had to step away as its freaking me out. Frightening times they really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

The main thing is to take all rumours with a pinch of salt until there's official announcement from the HSE. This is a very serious and unprecedented situation, but the levels of anxiety and rumour mongering from family members and online posters can be overwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know if Nancy Blakes are still open?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone know if Nancy Blakes are still open?

They announced early on Sunday that themselves and Tom Collins' were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I am looking at what is happening in Slovakia right now. Country size and population like Ireland and what they do is pretty much good indication on what may come to pass in here. What is sobering is that they do have half of the cases like we have here yet they are weeks ahead in what needs to be done.
    They are distributing face masks for hospitals now and plan to deliver them also to every person through city councils and wearing them in public is now mandatory. They are shutting down everything apart from essential services. I cant really list all of what is happening there but anyone who wants to read about it I will list few articles.
    All you need to do is to wait for article to load then right click anywhere in the text and choose option - translate to english (if you are using chrome)

https://spravy.pravda.sk/domace/clanok/545657-slovensko-pritvrdilo-v-boji-s-virusom-nosenie-rusok-je-povinne/

• Advertisement

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/244889601_Herbal_Treatments_for_Pandemic_Influenza_Learning_from_the_Eclectics%27_Experience&ved=2ahUKEwij5c7eyZ7oAhWXTxUIHWfYBAAQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1NWE7Nm55Lx4eDgR4Ua2_X

Went down a rabbit hole and found interesting research on a group of physicians who treated soldiers during ww1 and outbreak of Spanish flu. Not everyone may be interested but the story is fascinating at a time where there was no known treatment to a new virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

They announced early on Sunday that themselves and Tom Collins' were closed.

Thanks.

I assume all pubs in the city and surrounding area are close? Any floating the call?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/244889601_Herbal_Treatments_for_Pandemic_Influenza_Learning_from_the_Eclectics%27_Experience&ved=2ahUKEwij5c7eyZ7oAhWXTxUIHWfYBAAQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1NWE7Nm55Lx4eDgR4Ua2_X

Went down a rabbit hole and found interesting research on a group of physicians who treated soldiers during ww1 and outbreak of Spanish flu. Not everyone may be interested but the story is fascinating at a time where there was no known treatment to a new virus.

Very interesting read, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

I'm curious! I am working form home and limiting social contact but when I went to the shops today, they aren't trying to advise or enforce people to keep their distance in queues. I noticed the chemist in the Parkway is but not Dunnes. I saw no hand sanitizer anywhere to be seen so I was just careful not to touch my mouth or nose. I would have thought the Govt would have made sure in their announcements to make sure Premises had these basic elements in place. Are ye seeing certain places implement this in Limerick but not everywhere yet?

tony1980 wrote: »
    I'm curious! I am working form home and limiting social contact but when I went to the shops today, they aren't trying to advise or enforce people to keep their distance in queues. I noticed the chemist in the Parkway is but not Dunnes. I saw no hand sanitizer anywhere to be seen so I was just careful not to touch my mouth or nose. I would have thought the Govt would have made sure in their announcements to make sure Premises had these basic elements in place. Are ye seeing certain places implement this in Limerick but not everywhere yet?

Problem seems to be that businesses are struggling to get supplies of sanitizer.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I deleted a few posts naming the store where there was rumours of people who were sick.

Normal rules apply, even in a pandemic.

Do not name individuals, and don't be spreading rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

tony1980 wrote:

Tesco Coonagh have lines painted at the till that you must stay behind one for queuing and one for packing bags

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Chicken hut have you behind the usual queueing bar. Haven't been in but as they just take cash is it just throw the money at them.

See nolans butchers have marked out there floor as well for spacing.

Good few of the cafes shut today as well, Duo, Rift, Buttery, old barracks in birdhill, canteen as well

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Woodlands Hotel Adare has closed its doors until the end of march...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

My partner works in UHL.

Huge level of preparation going on in UHL. Lots of staff training going on, including staff from smaller hospitals. Positive cases still low but kick up expected soon.

So everyone please, keep safe and keep isolated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I heard la cucina fed 40 emergency responders yesterday. Positive stories welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Have to applaud Supervalu Castletroy.

Operating a one in one out system, security asking people in the queue to maintain distance, antibac and glove station at the entrance and tape markings to keep everyone away from staff. Shelves well stocked and more tills open today than most days I go in (albeit a bit longer to check out as they were disinfecting after each customer and customers are asked to wait away from the till whilst staff scan items).

Most people were being really patient which was good to see, and were also trying to be considerate of other customers by waiting for people to move along from shelves before picking up their items.

I would do click and collect or delivery to stop myself from going into the store but all slots are booked out for the next 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dickface

Seems like few confirmed cases in the "west", let's hope it remains that way

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TaitsClock

Most clothing stores still open as far as i know, i wonder how long until non-essential shops will have to close!?
    Working for one myself, not sure how i feel about going in tomorrow, i of course dont want to be exposed/expose others but i would also would like to keep as much normality as possible, if this can be done safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

There is a lot of asking people to come home from abroad before midnight thursday. That may be the day when more closures happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

patnor1011 wrote: »
    There is a lot of asking people to come home from abroad before midnight thursday. That may be the day when more closures happen.

That's the repatriation of citizens from Spain. The Spanish government are locking down flights after then.

Drive thru test centre being established at ballycummin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Most restaurants and cafeterias in the city centre appear to be open for business as normal and busy. How can this be conducive to preventing the spread of the illness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Guineys, BT and the Animal Welfare shops closing today until further notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement